Why can't I get 2nd day curls?

ronalisa

So I'm wondering if any other naturals are having the same problem, which is the fact that I can't seem to achieve 2nd day curl definition for the life of me. On day 1, whether I do braidouts on dry hair or whether I do finger curls with conditioner or gel on wet hair, my first day curls are always really nice and defined and soft but once I go to sleep, they are smooshed and gone for good. Tonight I am gonna try for the first time a dry braidout using minimal gel.

Fyi here are some other things to consider:

1. I have really soft spongy/fine hair that's like a 3C in the nape area and 4A everywhere else. I tend to blowdry once a week so I can have a little more length so I'm hoping to find a curl method that won't call for totally wet hair.
2.I have tried spraying water on my hair on Day 2 to revive the curls, doesn't work.
3. Yes, I sleep on a satin pillowcase.
4. I am also fighting against the S. Fla. humidity, which is making my hair frizz-prone.

MadisonK

I can't get 2nd day curls either...at least not ones that look as good as the 1st day. It means I have to get up and redo my hair every morning. Braidouts/Twistouts look horrible on me since being natural.

I have tried to revive my curls with:
spray bottle filled with water
spray bottle w/ water and oil and honey
Kinky Curling Spiral Spritz
Water and every type of gel

Nothing looks as good as starting from scratch. :perplexed

ronalisa

So you feel my pain! I'm trying to wear my own hair out and not pick up my trusty half-wig, which takes seconds to put in, versus my hair, which on average takes close to an hour to fluff and finger curl certain spots to my liking. It's irking me a little that I don't have a quick go-to style in case I am in a hurry. Also, I forgot to mention, ponytails/french rolls/banana clips are kinda quick but I always have to leave out some hair in the front since the hair in my crown and edges area is thin and I don't like to pull all my hair straight back.

EllePixie

I think it really depends on the spray bottle you are using...I had a lighter one that gave off more of a mist and it was the pits...then I got one with a really strong spray and I basically re-soaked my hair and shook out my fro, and I've been able to get at least 3rd day hair doing this (I usually don't try to stretch my wash n gos b/c I love cowashing).

However, I think with a braid out it's best to rebraid your hair (even in bigger braids) at night to keep the pattern set - I would imagine with a braid out spraying the hair would revert it to it's natural curl pattern?

Katherina

Braidouts do last longer if you do them on wet hair. But if you want to blowdry, you could first blow dry, then braid, then spray the hair with a water / setting lotion / leave in (whatever you use) mix. Spraying after you've already braided should set the braids without causing you to lose length. HTH!

ronalisa

Thanks EllePixie! I must admit rewetting the curls does always bring them back to life for me too, I'm just hating the shrinkage right now. By the way your curls and color are gorgeous!

Cheleigh

If I band my hair at night, I get second and third day hair. Not EXACTLY the same as first day hair, but generally I like it better.

alima

With me, I put some spray in my hair (SCurl and Keratin Mist) and then rebraid it at night. I usually will do just two or three big braids. I also put my hair in a high pineapple ponytail and then tie a scarf with the knot in the front just on my edges. HTH!

MadisonK

I think it really depends on the spray bottle you are using...I had a lighter one that gave off more of a mist and it was the pits...then I got one with a really strong spray and I basically re-soaked my hair and shook out my fro, and I've been able to get at least 3rd day hair doing this (I usually don't try to stretch my wash n gos b/c I love cowashing).

However, I think with a braid out it's best to rebraid your hair (even in bigger braids) at night to keep the pattern set - I would imagine with a braid out spraying the hair would revert it to it's natural curl pattern?

so are you completely drenching your hair? I spray liberally, but i'm not completely drenching it so it looks like it does when i'm in the shower.

EllePixie

so are you completely drenching your hair? I spray liberally, but i'm not completely drenching it so it looks like it does when i'm in the shower.

No, it's not shower drenched - my hair is pretty low porosity, so to completely drench it I have to stay under the heavy stream of water in the shower. My hair always gets all smooshed after I sleep though - so I wet it enough so it "expands" back out. There are a few drippies but not much, and my hair dries MUCH faster because it isn't soaking wet at the roots.

EllePixie

Thanks EllePixie! I must admit rewetting the curls does always bring them back to life for me too, I'm just hating the shrinkage right now. By the way your curls and color are gorgeous!

Thank you! :)

Yea, shrinkage is annoying but I am too lazy to do anything but a WnG. lol

MadisonK

No, it's not shower drenched - my hair is pretty low porosity, so to completely drench it I have to stay under the heavy stream of water in the shower. My hair always gets all smooshed after I sleep though - so I wet it enough so it "expands" back out. There are a few drippies but not much, and my hair dries MUCH faster because it isn't soaking wet at the roots.

Thanks. My hair is high porosity, it dries fast, so i think that's high porosity. I wonder if this is why my 2nd day hair doesn't look good by me just spraying with water.

EllePixie

Thanks. My hair is high porosity, it dries fast, so i think that's high porosity. I wonder if this is why my 2nd day hair doesn't look good by me just spraying with water.

Have you tried spray with water mixed with some conditioner or oil for a little more hold?

Interesting point about porosity too, my hair takes FOREVER to dry - like seriously, I only have about 5.5 inches of hair and I'll do a WnG at 8am, and at 10pm my roots are still wet. Thankfully I live in a climate where it doesn't get too cold.

MadisonK

Have you tried spray with water mixed with some conditioner or oil for a little more hold?

Interesting point about porosity too, my hair takes FOREVER to dry - like seriously, I only have about 5.5 inches of hair and I'll do a WnG at 8am, and at 10pm my roots are still wet. Thankfully I live in a climate where it doesn't get too cold.

Wow. How do you deal with your hair taking so long to dry? Do you speed it up with blow dryer? I sit under a hooded dryer on low for about 5-10 minutes and my hair is about 80% dry. lol

I have tried using water and oil in spray bottle. It was ok, but still frizzy and undefined. I haven't tried spraying water and conditioner. I have a feeling i will need to drench my hair. It's almost like i might as well start over, but i will try the water+cond. Thanks!

EllePixie

Wow. How do you deal with your hair taking so long to dry? Do you speed it up with blow dryer? I sit under a hooded dryer on low for about 5-10 minutes and my hair is about 80% dry. lol

I have tried using water and oil in spray bottle. It was ok, but still frizzy and undefined. I haven't tried spraying water and conditioner. I have a feeling i will need to drench my hair. It's almost like i might as well start over, but i will try the water+cond. Thanks!

If I'm in a hurry I use my diffuser for a few minutes to at least get rid of drippies, but otherwise it's no biggie. When my hair gets longer I definitely will have to use a hooded dryer or diffuser because when my hair hits my shoulders it will get my shirts all wet!

The conditioner might give a little more weight to defrizz rather than just oil as well. I can't really do condish/oil mixes for my initial WnG because my top is finer and will be oh so frizzy...I need more weight on it!

MadisonK

If I'm in a hurry I use my diffuser for a few minutes to at least get rid of drippies, but otherwise it's no biggie. When my hair gets longer I definitely will have to use a hooded dryer or diffuser because when my hair hits my shoulders it will get my shirts all wet!

The conditioner might give a little more weight to defrizz rather than just oil as well. I can't really do condish/oil mixes for my initial WnG because my top is finer and will be oh so frizzy...I need more weight on it!

That's a good point. I have a lot of hair, so i think i need the weight. I'm gonna try.

I LOVE the color of your hair! I was checking out your blog. Very nice. Is your color from henna? I used Cassia once and Henna once on my natural hair and my hair felt dry..real dry. I did do a moistruizing conditioner afterwards, but it was still a little dry. And then I read that it's very hard to dye over henna so if i ever wanted blonde or another color it would be hard to lift. I didn't want to commit to henna for life. :ohwell:

LadyPBC

Same problem - I love my hair the 1st day - I can get away with the 2nd day but not as nice as the first day. I don't want to rebraid every night because that's too much manipulation and misting or wetting just poofs it up and I lose my waves when I do a twist out. (sigh) Oh when I use the gel my hair feels kinda rough and to tell the truth it didn't work much better but that might be bcuz of the way I applied it. When you figure it out let us know.

Missjae09

I totally feel your pain!! I've tried everything to get mine to last.. i've twisted and braided with eco styler gel, twist and loc gel, styling foam and nothing works.. it looks nice the first day and the second day not so nice! I've decided that it doesn't last because my hair is so short.. I think that once I gain more length it will last longer.

How long is your hair?

EllePixie

That's a good point. I have a lot of hair, so i think i need the weight. I'm gonna try.

I LOVE the color of your hair! I was checking out your blog. Very nice. Is your color from henna? I used Cassia once and Henna once on my natural hair and my hair felt dry..real dry. I did do a moistruizing conditioner afterwards, but it was still a little dry. And then I read that it's very hard to dye over henna so if i ever wanted blonde or another color it would be hard to lift. I didn't want to commit to henna for life. :ohwell:

Thanks! Yes, I dyed my hair with henna, but before that I had it dyed a light brown, which is why the color showed up so vibrant. I have found that my hair likes henna better when I only leave it on for 4 hours or so rather than overnight. I also don't want to dye over the henna but I'm going to dry indigo...the red is a little brightish lol!

MadisonK

Thanks! Yes, I dyed my hair with henna, but before that I had it dyed a light brown, which is why the color showed up so vibrant. I have found that my hair likes henna better when I only leave it on for 4 hours or so rather than overnight. I also don't want to dye over the henna but I'm going to dry indigo...the red is a little brightish lol!

I love the red. It's hot! Do you ever see yourself wanting to lighten your hair after the Indigo? I wanted to use henna because i read it helps with porous hair. But everything I read said it's VERY hard if impossible to lighten after henna especially Indigo. Do you care about that?

EllePixie

I love the red. It's hot! Do you ever see yourself wanting to lighten your hair after the Indigo? I wanted to use henna because i read it helps with porous hair. But everything I read said it's VERY hard if impossible to lighten after henna especially Indigo. Do you care about that?

Maybe, but I know it's SUPER hard to get out...honestly, I think I just have a thing for "doing" stuff to my hair, lol! So if I could indigo, then put in henna even just for highlights I think I would be okay...

And yes, henna helps woith porous hair b/c it coats the hair shaft and "fills" it in.

MadisonK

Maybe, but I know it's SUPER hard to get out...honestly, I think I just have a thing for "doing" stuff to my hair, lol! So if I could indigo, then put in henna even just for highlights I think I would be okay...

And yes, henna helps woith porous hair b/c it coats the hair shaft and "fills" it in.

Yeh, i'm addicted to playing with my hair, too. I was super excited about henna. And so after i applied it one time, I bought a box dye of permanent red. I think it was clairol. Not sure. The box was orange and it is made specifically for black hair. So, I did the test strand. and NOTHING! LOL My hair did not lift at all. I was like dang! Now, I can't change my hair color till i cut this out. I read somewhere that the less you do henna the more likely it is that you can lift, so i'm gonna wait about 6 months and try again. lol

EllePixie

Yeh, i'm addicted to playing with my hair, too. I was super excited about henna. And so after i applied it one time, I bought a box dye of permanent red. I think it was clairol. Not sure. The box was orange and it is made specifically for black hair. So, I did the test strand. and NOTHING! LOL My hair did not lift at all. I was like dang! Now, I can't change my hair color till i cut this out. I read somewhere that the less you do henna the more likely it is that you can lift, so i'm gonna wait about 6 months and try again. lol

Wow! Very interesting...I've also heard that henna gradually fades if you stop using it, so waiting awhile may work.

ronalisa

@Kusare - When I sleep I usually wear 4 loose plaits usually with a scarf and/or satin pillowcase.

@LadyPBC - I tried the braidout, in which I did about 10 cornrows on blowdried hair and then sprayed (but not drenched) water mixed with lottabody setting lotion last night AFTER i had cornrowed. In the morning, my hair had very well-defined curls (I think the hint of water helped a lot) but it wasn't totally shrunken. So now I'm gonna see how long these curls will last. I will maintain by cornrowing the back at night and respraying with water/lottabody when needed. (I must admit though that since my hair is much shorter in the front, I tend to have to twist and roller curl that part to get my hair to frame my face properly).

@Missjae - My hair in the front is earlength and the back is collarbone length.

ronalisa

@EllePixie- By the way, I read your blog and decided I'm going to take the porosity test to see if I have trouble with that. When I think of retaining moisture, I think back to high school when a friend of mine greased my hair one day and was stunned the next day that my hair had soaked it all up so quickly, so I'm gonna look into that. And (sigh) my hair doesn't look like it's gonna hold the curl in this braidout and I'm only half a day in. I'm pretty convinced now that the heat of Miami weather (as well as probably the shower, even though I wear a cap) may be a factor in this problem. This weekend I plan to buy Paul Mitchell skinny serum or Sabino heat protectant and try the braidout again. If you have any feedback, pls let me know. Thanks.

MadisonK

@Kusare - When I sleep I usually wear 4 loose plaits usually with a scarf and/or satin pillowcase.

@LadyPBC - I tried the braidout, in which I did about 10 cornrows on blowdried hair and then sprayed (but not drenched) water mixed with lottabody setting lotion last night AFTER i had cornrowed. In the morning, my hair had very well-defined curls (I think the hint of water helped a lot) but it wasn't totally shrunken. So now I'm gonna see how long these curls will last. I will maintain by cornrowing the back at night and respraying with water/lottabody when needed. (I must admit though that since my hair is much shorter in the front, I tend to have to twist and roller curl that part to get my hair to frame my face properly).

@Missjae - My hair in the front is earlength and the back is collarbone length.

How long did you transition for? I wish I could do braid outs. When i was relaxed i use to do them exactly how you described and they would look better as the days go on. So this method might last longer than a day for you.