Why is it that....

Why do stylist jack up our hair? They are the ______

• Untrained Stylist - just doesn't know what they're doing

Votes: 33 47.8%
  • Mad Scientist Stylist - wanna use us as experiments

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Hater Stylist - just plain ol' malicious!

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • other (please explain)

Votes: 5 7.2%

• Total voters

naturallygoldie

Why is it that some stylists (in my experience, AA stylists) feel the need to jack up ur hair???

You ask for a light trim...they give u a three inch cut
You ask them to wash and press or blow ur natural hair...they try to beat you down with a jar of relaxer and if u deny them this joy they charge you extra...
They lie and tell you ur perfectly healthy ends are dead and need to be cut off
amongst other things....

I personally have suffered the trim that turns into a cut. I'm absolutely petrified to walk into some salons. Yesterday I was kinda dragged into one because I went to jr high school with one of the stylist and he does hair. He said i should call him :nono: (well...maybe...idk)..when I walked in the other stylist looked at me like they were hungry lions and i was a tbone steak! i couldn't get out of there fast enough!

A few months back, at the dominicans, I saw a waist length sista getting her touch up. She was sooo totally NOT paying attention to what the stylist was doing. I don't know what happened but after they washed and conditioned her hair it was coming out by the handfuls. She was sooo oblivious to it. The STYLIST didn't even bother to tell her :wallbash: i left before they finished her up.

Why do stylist wanna mess up the hair we've worked so long and hard to achieve??? Is it because they don't know what they are doing? Do they use us as little experiments? Or, are they just malicious?

NYAmicas

Seeker
Some assume they know more than you do about your hair. Wont even respect your wishes. That's why if you ever find a stylist you click with, keep them!

msa

I couldn't answer your poll because the only reason I think stylists jack up our hair is because we let them.

It seems like once people get in the chair they pretend it's an out of body experience or something and they can't speak up or get out of the chair and leave when the stylist is not following their directions or doing something they don't like. Heck, most people don't even bother to give directions, they just let the stylist do whatever.

If the stylist jacks up somebody's hair, most of the time I think it's because the client allowed it to happen. If the stylist mixes some relaxer with your conditioner, then that's they tried to jack up your hair. If the stylist leaves your relaxer on too long, then you let them jack up your hair.

So no, I don't the stylists are hating, or mad scientists, or lacking in training all the time. They do what the client lets them do. And if you let them jack up your hair, they will, and it's not 100% their fault.

Lucky's Mom

WHOOOO knows???:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think that they are Untrained and haters...

I refuse to go to these "unprofessionals"
That's right.....I am burned. I am bitter.
That sizes it up.:yep:

They can do nothing for me.... Except cornrow... Cause I cannot:lachen:But - I usually don't get cornrows.

If I caught someone grabbing scissors :bat: behind my head....

Y'all would see me on the news....:jail:

So I save the lives of many stylists...by staying home.

guyanesesista

I think they think they know more than you, don't respect your wishes, and are malicious. Plus they wanna jack you up so you could become dependent on them. It's also like we're paying them to do what they want with our hair. To some we are also crash test dummies for stuff they wanna try out.

gissellr78

Why is it that some stylists (in my experience, AA stylists) feel the need to jack up ur hair???

You ask for a light trim...they give u a three inch cut
You ask them to wash and press or blow ur natural hair...they try to beat you down with a jar of relaxer and if u deny them this joy they charge you extra...
They lie and tell you ur perfectly healthy ends are dead and need to be cut off
amongst other things....

I personally have suffered the trim that turns into a cut. I'm absolutely petrified to walk into some salons. Yesterday I was kinda dragged into one because I went to jr high school with one of the stylist and he does hair. He said i should call him :nono: (well...maybe...idk)..when I walked in the other stylist looked at me like they were hungry lions and i was a tbone steak! i couldn't get out of there fast enough!

A few months back, at the dominicans, I saw a waist length sista getting her touch up. She was sooo totally NOT paying attention to what the stylist was doing. I don't know what happened but after they washed and conditioned her hair it was coming out by the handfuls. She was sooo oblivious to it. The STYLIST didn't even bother to tell her :wallbash: i left before they finished her up.

Why do stylist wanna mess up the hair we've worked so long and hard to achieve??? Is it because they don't know what they are doing? Do they use us as little experiments? Or, are they just malicious?

That's because some people give some stylist a free "u can do whatever you want with me pass" and they feel is ok. My stylist is good...the other day i told her when i am 12 weeks i want a relaxer and she said..."You relax your hair too much" love her! mind you i relax between 12-15 weeks always

Princess Tam Tam

Well, my worst experience has been with Domerican hair stylists.

I know Dominican hair salons are common rave in here. '

But, they seriously jacked my hair up.

I only meet two stylist in my life who could do my hair. One was RazorSharp in NYC and old Haitian lady.

RazorSharp is too expensive.

The old Haitian lady doesn't do hair anymore.

MonPetite

I couldn't answer your poll because the only reason I think stylists jack up our hair is because we let them.

Are you sure?

I had an instance where I went to a styling with great reviews, I watched her work -clean station, obeyed the clients. I wanted a touch up back when I relaxed. I said DO NOT CUT MY HAIR. MY ENDS ARE FINE! NO SCISSORS.

I said THOSE EXACT WORDS.

I had her TURN ME TO THE MIRROR. I watched her hands as we chatted.

SHE CUT MY HAIR. TWO INCHES.

SHE HID THE SCISSORS BEHIND MY HEAD, DUCKING THEM IN AND OUT OF HER APRON. She spoke loudly...I didn't know why...until I FINALLY caught the sound of scissors and jerked my head forward. I saw a FLASH of silver....Then they were gone in her apron.

She immediately grabbed a broom and began sweeping...THE STATION WAS CLEAN BEFORE I SAT DOWN!!! What was she sweeping?

TWO INCHES OF ME OFF THE FLOOR.

The look I gave her must have been something because she gave a silly little grin as she did.

Was that my fault?

Some stylists ARE malicious. You can do all you can...but some people are malicious. Do I think they ALL are?

NO. Of course not.

Is it true we, as clients, put up with much? Yes.

However there ARE situations where it IS NOT your fault, as the client.

DarkHair

They feel they know what's best for our hair. I hate asking for a trim, but end up with a cut. I went to a stylist one time. I just needed a relaxer. I got my beyond shoulder length hair, cut into a bob (I didn't ask for a cut). Then I was charged $90. I was crushed. I never went back to her again, nor do I speak when I see her in public.
Some get big heads because of their clientele. My stylist told me that everyone can't stretch their relaxers. If I'm paying, I'll stretch what I please.

Last edited:

gorgeous86

It seems like once people get in the chair they pretend it's an out of body experience or something and they can't speak up or get out of the chair and leave when the stylist is not following their directions or doing something they don't like. Heck, most people don't even bother to give directions, they just let the stylist do whatever.

If the stylist jacks up somebody's hair, most of the time I think it's because the client allowed it to happen. If the stylist mixes some relaxer with your conditioner, then that's they tried to jack up your hair. If the stylist leaves your relaxer on too long, then you let them jack up your hair.

So no, I don't the stylists are hating, or mad scientists, or lacking in training all the time. They do what the client lets them do. And if you let them jack up your hair, they will, and it's not 100% their fault.

I agree with this post 100% :yep:

LivingDol1

for me, i think the most common problem is that they are inexperienced. i don't trust them... and they don't listen. i just got my relaxer touch up today. i told her when my hair started to tingle. she sprayed oil sheen on it. i told her it was burning. she said wait two minutes... i don't want to wait! i want it washed out. maybe if she worked a little bit faster, half of my head wouldn't have been on fire.

i was going to get a trim as well but i opted not to since this girl had never trimmed my hair before and you know, some people don't understand that a 1/2" trim means just that.... not 3/4", not 1".

msa

Are you sure?

Yup, I'm sure. Did you read the rest of my post?

I agree that some stylists are just malicious. But for the most part those types of stories are RARE.

Most of the time the stories I hear or read could have been avoided if the client was clear about their wishes/directions from the beginning, spoke up when things were going wrong, or left the shop altogether.

Too many times people put all the blame on the stylist when it's really their own fault. Seeing a brand new stylist whose work you've never seen? Staying in the chair even after they detangle roughly/pull the relaxer through to the ends/telling you it's ok to burn/not using a heat protectant/use such high heat that smoke is coming off your hair/cut too much/ braid too tight is just idiotic. And then to complain about all the hair you lost or breakage you're experiencing after you allowed them to treat your head like that is ridiculous.

If somebody were to treat my head like it's connected to a doll instead of a person, they surely wouldn't get paid and I definitely wouldn't let them continue. If I did, it would be my fault, not theirs. Especially since I know how to keep my hair healthy and which practices would spell disaster for me.

MoniintheMiddle

People "let stylists" do what they want because you trust that the stylist knows what he/she is doing...you trust that they know what is best for your hair. You trust that he/she went to school to become a licensed cosmetologist and that they should know the dos and the don'ts of hair care. We are members on this board b/c we now know better. We have taken the time to try to educate ourselves so that we will know what's best fo rour hair. However, even know when I go to the salon and I am in the middle of a stretch, if I don't want my ends trimmed, if I tell the stylist how to do his/her job, I get an attitude. Of course I don't care now that I am "hair" educated.

~VicTorIAn~

I've had too many bad experiences to count. I haven't been to a stylist on over a year . So many of them have looked my in my eyes and told me complete nonsense without me asking mind you. Last week my grandmother told me her hair dresser told her to rub DAX grease into her scalp to strengthen the follicles because her edges were falling out. I wanted to scream! I had to explain to my grandma that the women she pays her hard earned money to is unprofessional and hair care ignorant.
I'm intent on learning how to do everything myself. I dont know if I'll ever pay someone to mess with my hair again. I've become so cynical.
Rant over...::Exhale::

tenderheaded

There is ignorance and a degree of hating in some stylists too. I remember a post from 2-3 yrs ago where the stylist cut on the sly then asked "what do you want long hair for anyway"?
As for myself, a dominican stylist said yes you can do permanent color first then relax afterwards - NOT:wallbash: I lost all my hair. Another cut my hair each time I saw her, which was 2-3 wks apart. Who needs their hair cut that much??? And, she was sneaky with the scissors, she cut real quiet, and I didn't know til it was too late.
Let's face it, shorter hair needs more maintenance, ie hair stylists, while longer hair can be put into an attractive clip and go.

soulie

In some cases (like Grandma being told to rub Dax into her scalp) it is the stylist's ignorance. Even though stylists are required to attend cosmetology school, many feel that the curriculum doesn't apply to AA hair, so when they begin working they fall back on what they know from their mothers, friends and the stylists who did THEIR hair as children. They feel that they didn't learn anything relevant in C-school, so those 40 year old practices are what they do.

Tradition and superstition also come into play. I lost a bunch of hair at a stylist on a Good Friday. I wasn't even due for a trim! When I asked WHY????????????? I was told that hair cut on Good Friday grows back faster, and EVERYBODY knows that -- that's why she was she was so busy that day -- because everybody wanted a Good Friday cut. Hmmm, I think the reason I made that appointment on that day was because EASTER was on Sunday, NOT because I wanted a bonus, unsolicited haircut!

luxe.li.

1. I never was into going to salons because I couldn't afford them in highschool and I have a problem with waiting.

Lucky for me the two salons I've been to in my hometown both stylists either knew what they were doing, or liked me because 1 knew my mother and the other was one of my best friend's aunt. So they NEVER screwed me over.

BUT BUT, I go to a Salon in MD where my father lives when I was just starting college and I ask for an ASYMMETRICAL BOB, keyword ASYMMETRICAL......she cuts my hair into some old fuddy duddy style, its dry, when I get home I wash it out IMMEDIATELY. I had to clip chop and work with it and fix my hair myself. I was sooo upset, I started my first day of college MAD.

Then the next year I give the salon the benefit of the doubt and go back, get a different stylist, I show her a MAGAZINE CLiPPING, I want my hair like this, short in the back, long in the front. I say. DO NOT CUT MY SIDES AT ALL, I hold my sides I look at her and I say DO NOT CUT MY SIDES, AGAIN.

Okay so ITS MY FAULT, that when I suspected that she was cutting my sides I didn't speak up sooner. I finally spoke up and said please don't cut my sides anymore thats what I asked you. She says I'm so sorry honey, I forgot, LYING!. Then she said she made one side longer than the other for style purposes, that I'd love it, this and that.

BULL! She did one side longer than the other because before she got to the other side to WACK THAT SIDE OFF TOO, I stopped her. SO I ask for VOLUMNE. I get a flat CHILLY BOWL again, with BANGS....WTF..... BANGS I DIDNT ASK FOR.....so I pay her I walk out I don't smile I don't anything. I get in the car and I BUST OUT CRYING......

Then I went to a stylist in Philly when my hair grew back when I was there for College and this woman DID MY HAIR SOO GLORIOUS. When I was relaxed, she only put a small portion of relaxer in my head and only on my roots. She CLIPPED my ends basically she DUSTED because she barely cut anything. My hair was soo light and had volumne and the only reason I couldn't go back is because my total came to about 100 dollars. So as a freshman in college I couldn't afford that, plus I had to take a train and a subway ride to get out there...NO. I'm sorry. She was the one who introduced me to CHI.

Now that I stay in ATL, I went to a stylist who gave me a sew in. It was beautiful, no bumps nothing, but I ended up paying 500 for it. 250 for the installation, and about 250 for that FREAKIN EXPENSIVE REMY HAIR......

I don't do salons, I do my own hair, I do just fine. I cut and style my own hair, it looks better than the salons. I'm sure Atlanta has some bomb stylists, but I don't have superstar money....so I stay outta the salons.

There is a salon though that I heard in Atlanta that does GREAT NATURAL hair, since I am now natural called Too Groovy. I might check them out, but please believe I'm older now and more bolder and they will NOT mess up my hair....took too long just to get it to where it is now and its not much....

blue_flower

I agree with the others that stylist will do what you let them get away with, but at the same time, I still don't trust hair stylist, especiall Black ones. They don't have a clue on how to achieve and maintain long hair. They also don't know how to work with long hair either.

SouthernBeauty

I agree with the others that stylist will do what you let them get away with, but at the same time, I still don't trust hair stylist, especiall Black ones. They don't have a clue on how to achieve and maintain long hair. They also don't know how to work with long hair either.

I hate to say it but the best stylist I had was a white man!

msa

There is ignorance and a degree of hating in some stylists too. I remember a post from 2-3 yrs ago where the stylist cut on the sly then asked "what do you want long hair for anyway"?
As for myself, a dominican stylist said yes you can do permanent color first then relax afterwards - NOT:wallbash: I lost all my hair. Another cut my hair each time I saw her, which was 2-3 wks apart. Who needs their hair cut that much??? And, she was sneaky with the scissors, she cut real quiet, and I didn't know til it was too late.
Let's face it, shorter hair needs more maintenance, ie hair stylists, while longer hair can be put into an attractive clip and go.

I don't mean to use you as an example, but this is exactly what I'm talking about. If you knew that the stylist cut your hair every time you went to her why did you keep going back? Ok, so she was sneaky about it the first time, or even the second time. But at that point you didn't realize your hair kept getting shorter? And then when you did realize it you went back afterward even though you already knew from previous appointments that she would sneak and cut your hair?

That does not make any sense to me and at that point it's not the stylist, it's you.

And this is a general question but, why are you paying people who do not follow your directions?

If I am paying for a service (nails, housekeeper, hair, car, massage, whatever) and the person does not follow my directions even after I have reminded them to, I am not paying them one dime. When you do what you are asked you will get paid. If I have to pay for something that was done incorrectly I will most definitely not be paying the full price, and I will be complaining to the necessary authorities (supervisors, company, owner, etc.). I am not paying for you to jack me up.

People keep paying stylists even after they do what THEY want and NOT what YOU want. And that's exactly why they keep doing it.

spinspinshuga

I never allow any stylists to cut my hair anymore. My mother did my hair all throughout my life, and my first visit to a salon in high school was a disaster. This stylist blew my very, very long hair straight and flat ironed my hair, under my mother's supervision. My mother dashed out for one quick second, during which the woman was supposed to be "trimming" my hair. When my mother returned, she literally screamed "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" I look down to the floor, and there is my hair. I'm not talking a couple of inches. At LEAST a half foot of my HEALTHY hair had been shorn.
If I'm too tired/lazy to do my own roller set, I trim my hair at home before going to a stylist. I know not all stylists would be so cruel as to cut off a client's hair for no reason, but I'm not risking it anymore.

caramelma

WHOOOO knows???:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think that they are Untrained and haters...

I refuse to go to these "unprofessionals"
That's right.....I am burned. I am bitter.
That sizes it up.:yep:

They can do nothing for me.... Except cornrow... Cause I cannot:lachen:But - I usually don't get cornrows.

If I caught someone grabbing scissors :bat: behind my head....

Y'all would see me on the news....:jail:

So I save the lives of many stylists...by staying home.
WHAT SHE SAID!

MrsMe

I've dealt with 3 stylists since I came to NY and only one of them truly appreciates my hair and respects my wishes. She will not tell you to get a trim unless you need it; if you do agree to have her trim your hair and ask her to cut no more than 3/4 of an inch, she will not cut any more than 3/4 of an inch; she's as gentle as can be and never burned me; she always said that I should stretch out my touch-ups; and most importantly, when I decided to go natural, she just embraced it and never told me I should get my 4a hair relaxed, even when she broke her combs doing my hair. I love her to death for that and after my mother, she is the only person I would trust with my hair!
With that being said, I have delt with some untrained, hater, mad scientist and scissor-happy stylists and they only get my money ONCE IN A LIFETIME! I say boycott those stylists who make you miserable! Why let somebody else fall victim to such unprofessional stylists??

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

I think they think they know more than you, don't respect your wishes, and are malicious. Plus they wanna jack you up so you could become dependent on them. It's also like we're paying them to do what they want with our hair. To some we are also crash test dummies for stuff they wanna try out.

Then when you have waist length hair that is shining and gorgeous and you decline their offers to style your hair, you are suddenly thinking you're cute or something. :wallbash:

Nelli04

I am lucky to have a stylist who knows what she is doing and does not try to chop my hair off. I actually used to have a stylist who NEVER gave me a trim lol. I had to literally beg her.

but when I was 15/16 I went to this new stylist and she was really good and got my hair straighter than the other stylists had. But I wanted to stop getting relaxers and at first she was against it, but she agreed and said I would need to get a trim every 4 weeks to get rid of the permed ends.

So my hair was about bsl at the time and as she continued to trim my hair over a 5-6 month basis I was between sl and apl. Then she brought up the desire for me to get a bop (kind of like the one rihanna had in the umbrella video w/o the bangs). I rejected the offer, but over the next couple months i started noticing my hair was getting a lot shorter to the point that it looked like I almost had the bob. Now I never paid close attention when she gave me trims because they were expected. But after that I was on edge because my hair was the shortest it had been in years. I told my mom and she told me to speak up next time and tell her I don't want a trim. So the next time she was getting ready to trim my hair again and I was like 'uh, I dont think I want a trim this time.' but she downplayed my statement. She did not care for my opinion because I was just a 'kid.' So she ended up trimming my hair again and I never went back to her....

mightycute912

I think it can be a combination of all 3, but I voted untrained though. I feel like a lot of stylists don't seem to focus on the health of hair. I had a stylist that could style your hair beautifully, but he couldn't do rollersets. He would always flat iron and curl my hair. He colored my hair and would swear I didn't need a deep condition. He did not care about the health of my hair, so needless to say that didn't last long.

Lucky's Mom

Are you sure?

I had an instance where I went to a styling with great reviews, I watched her work -clean station, obeyed the clients. I wanted a touch up back when I relaxed. I said DO NOT CUT MY HAIR. MY ENDS ARE FINE! NO SCISSORS.

I said THOSE EXACT WORDS.

I had her TURN ME TO THE MIRROR. I watched her hands as we chatted.

SHE CUT MY HAIR. TWO INCHES.

SHE HID THE SCISSORS BEHIND MY HEAD, DUCKING THEM IN AND OUT OF HER APRON. She spoke loudly...I didn't know why...until I FINALLY caught the sound of scissors and jerked my head forward. I saw a FLASH of silver....Then they were gone in her apron.

She immediately grabbed a broom and began sweeping...THE STATION WAS CLEAN BEFORE I SAT DOWN!!! What was she sweeping?

TWO INCHES OF ME OFF THE FLOOR.

The look I gave her must have been something because she gave a silly little grin as she did.

Was that my fault?

Some stylists ARE malicious. You can do all you can...but some people are malicious. Do I think they ALL are?

NO. Of course not.

Is it true we, as clients, put up with much? Yes.

However there ARE situations where it IS NOT your fault, as the client.

See - that is why I would go to prison. For life. Lucky, I am natural.

Lucky's Mom

I've had too many bad experiences to count. I haven't been to a stylist on over a year . So many of them have looked my in my eyes and told me complete nonsense without me asking mind you. Last week my grandmother told me her hair dresser told her to rub DAX grease into her scalp to strengthen the follicles because her edges were falling out. I wanted to scream! I had to explain to my grandma that the women she pays her hard earned money to is unprofessional and hair care ignorant.
I'm intent on learning how to do everything myself. I dont know if I'll ever pay someone to mess with my hair again. I've become so cynical.
Rant over...::Exhale::

Yea - When they say stuff like " I will Hook you UP" - I stay far away.

My old hairdresser (relaxed days) saw me 4 years after I last had a relaxer. just before my wedding..... She was AMAZED.

I had someone else Flat iron my hair about 4 years ago....

They were STUNNED.... They kept staring.. "Your hair is in great shape, you don't go to anyone????"

NOPE, I don't.. and If you take out anything but that Iron.... You will DIE. :bat:

I went to a woman in 2007 - For cornrows. She did a very good job...
And Of course my hair was completely detangled, etc for her to braid....

She Kept saying "let me Flat Iron it next time" - and I kept telling her NO:rolleyes: I paid 150.00 for a flat iron - I did not need her to do it.

Mind you - When I went in for a consultation...With my hair in twists, she asked me if they were extensions.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

:nono: These people are incompetent... I am sorry. They are. If I break all my fingers tomorrow... MSA will have to come do my hair!!!!

Last edited: