Why is it that....

Why do stylist jack up our hair? They are the ______

• Untrained Stylist - just doesn't know what they're doing

Votes: 33 47.8%
  • Mad Scientist Stylist - wanna use us as experiments

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Hater Stylist - just plain ol' malicious!

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • other (please explain)

Votes: 5 7.2%

• Total voters

BostonMaria

Well in my experience the stylists were always very cocky, pretended like their word was golden and everybody else knew nothing, and they would HOUND ME till I said yes to the scissors. After a while it would become a joke because they would see how many times they would ask me until they got the scissors to my head. If they ever did win, which was rare, it would be comments like "YOU want long hair?" *insert sarcastic laugh here* "oh you think you got good hair?" Or they would put a strong relaxer in my hair which would make my hair fall out and then I'd have split ends. I couldn't win!

Now I do my own hair, its finally growing long, and I can't be bothered with a stylist. I keep saying that at the end of the year if I'm waist length I'm going to get my hair cut in layers. I'm starting to think that maybe I should just leave it alone, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

BostonMaria

Someone told me to never go to a stylist with hair shorter than yours

And definitely don't go to a stylist if her hair is jacked up! I used to go to this woman who's daughter's hair looked like it was chewed up by rats :lachen:And I never ever saw her real hair, it was always in an ugly weave that needed to die LOLOLOL Haven't been to her in over 6 years

Lucky's Mom

In some cases (like Grandma being told to rub Dax into her scalp) it is the stylist's ignorance. Even though stylists are required to attend cosmetology school, many feel that the curriculum doesn't apply to AA hair, so when they begin working they fall back on what they know from their mothers, friends and the stylists who did THEIR hair as children. They feel that they didn't learn anything relevant in C-school, so those 40 year old practices are what they do.

Tradition and superstition also come into play. I lost a bunch of hair at a stylist on a Good Friday. I wasn't even due for a trim! When I asked WHY????????????? I was told that hair cut on Good Friday grows back faster, and EVERYBODY knows that -- that's why she was she was so busy that day -- because everybody wanted a Good Friday cut. Hmmm, I think the reason I made that appointment on that day was because EASTER was on Sunday, NOT because I wanted a bonus, unsolicited haircut!

WHA????????Where is this CRAP coming from????????????????

Lord have mercy. No wonder all the women at my church have the SAME length - for 15 years.....:nono:

Lucky's Mom

I never allow any stylists to cut my hair anymore. My mother did my hair all throughout my life, and my first visit to a salon in high school was a disaster. This stylist blew my very, very long hair straight and flat ironed my hair, under my mother's supervision. My mother dashed out for one quick second, during which the woman was supposed to be "trimming" my hair. When my mother returned, she literally screamed "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" I look down to the floor, and there is my hair. I'm not talking a couple of inches. At LEAST a half foot of my HEALTHY hair had been shorn.
If I'm too tired/lazy to do my own roller set, I trim my hair at home before going to a stylist. I know not all stylists would be so cruel as to cut off a client's hair for no reason, but I'm not risking it anymore.

OMG. Horrible. This is what Black Stylists do....:nono: I am so sorry this happened to you.

We are still living with the vestiges of Slavery.

Lucky's Mom

I think it can be a combination of all 3, but I voted untrained though. I feel like a lot of stylists don't seem to focus on the health of hair. I had a stylist that could style your hair beautifully, but he couldn't do rollersets. He would always flat iron and curl my hair. He colored my hair and would swear I didn't need a deep condition. He did not care about the health of my hair, so needless to say that didn't last long.

I agree. I don't think they understand Healthy hair at all. That would cut into the bottom line

Lucky's Mom

And definitely don't go to a stylist if her hair is jacked up! I used to go to this woman who's daughter's hair looked like it was chewed up by rats :lachen:And I never ever saw her real hair, it was always in an ugly weave that needed to die LOLOLOL Haven't been to her in over 6 years

:lachen::lachen::lachen:Yea I knew one like that... Stay away.

naturallygoldie

That's because some people give some stylist a free "u can do whatever you want with me pass" and they feel is ok. My stylist is good...the other day i told her when i am 12 weeks i want a relaxer and she said..."You relax your hair too much" love her! mind you i relax between 12-15 weeks always

u are sooooooooo lucky! :blush:

naturallygoldie

Yup, I'm sure. Did you read the rest of my post?

I agree that some stylists are just malicious. But for the most part those types of stories are RARE.

Most of the time the stories I hear or read could have been avoided if the client was clear about their wishes/directions from the beginning, spoke up when things were going wrong, or left the shop altogether.

Too many times people put all the blame on the stylist when it's really their own fault. Seeing a brand new stylist whose work you've never seen? Staying in the chair even after they detangle roughly/pull the relaxer through to the ends/telling you it's ok to burn/not using a heat protectant/use such high heat that smoke is coming off your hair/cut too much/ braid too tight is just idiotic. And then to complain about all the hair you lost or breakage you're experiencing after you allowed them to treat your head like that is ridiculous.

If somebody were to treat my head like it's connected to a doll instead of a person, they surely wouldn't get paid and I definitely wouldn't let them continue. If I did, it would be my fault, not theirs. Especially since I know how to keep my hair healthy and which practices would spell disaster for me.

very true! big shout out to Nikos (sp??) for creating this site! I'd probably still be subjected to beauty shop horrors just cuz miss ___(my old stylist) said so. You ladies have been a humongous help!!!! thanks ladies:creatures

Crystal22

I think I know the reason y alot of stylists are scissor happy. Beyond being jealous I think they like to cover their tracks sorto speak. They don't want you to see all the split ends and damage they leave you with after their done with your head. So they always make sure to cut you up real good and though its shorter, atleast it "looks" healthy. Many of these stylists are there for the money only and they are about having as many clients as they can and not about making sure they are practicing healthy hair habits. They wanna get you in and out as fast as they can even though you wait for them to get to you FOREVER. When they are done they will slice up your head so they can cover up the damage they've really been doing to your head every other week. Thats what I've come to the realization of when watching stylists use small teeth combs on hair that has been jelled for a week or two, or using small teeth combs on wet hair, skimming on conditioner, raking blow dryers through heads, and frying peoples head with flat irons, pressing combs.......the black salon has turned into a joke to me. Thats why I get my hair relaxed there.. roots only.... and thats pretty much it.

Last edited:

koolkittychick

I really feel bad agreeing with everyone, but it's true; good AA stylists, especially women, are hard to find. I had my hair done twice this year; once by an AA male stylist, who did a good job (did not rip my hair out, consulted with me and kept me informed through the whole touch up process), but was maybe a little too cautious and left me more textlaxed than I wanted and still insisted on trimming an inch off my hair; and this weekend by a Puerto Rican girl at the same salon, who did a great job and did not come near me with a pair of scissors once I told her I did not want a trim. Most of the black women I have gone to have left me with much less desirable results. It's a shame--you'd think they of all people would be the ones we could trust the most with our hair, but that's hardly the case it seems. :nono:

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
Jealous
Money-hungry
Know-it-alls

yet I had to go to Hairlista and LHFC to learn what moisturizing and sealing was after over 30 yrs smh. I don't trust them and I live in NYC. I have never found one I could trust that wasn't scissor happy.

Mane Event

In addition to what the other ladies said, I also think it's because a STYLIST's job to STYLE and they don't want to deal with see-thru/uneven hair, so they try to convince you that it's dead, split, etc.

And this is why I will never be back in their chair. I have had a blunt cut to my shortest layers (nape) on 3 separate occasions within the past 5 years. At this point, I'm done searching for a "good one." DH can do my trims.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I just got tired of the bs going both ways. With Dominican stylists, they were so hard to find and I live in nyc. The only one I found is two busses of 1.5 hours away in the same boro.

The black stylist I found I kinda lost respect for after a relaxer she did and used a cheap 3 for .99 thin tooth comb and I hear my hair break. I was like :nono: my hair came out nice but I was like no. I also hate when I go to placed and I'm made to feel bad because I want to use my own products. What's wrong with that?

Th farthest I go is my bathroom sink and I dont care How unhappy I may be with my hair, it's eons better than it ever was before I did it on my own.

Mz.MoMo5235

I just got tired of the bs going both ways. With Dominican stylists, they were so hard to find and I live in nyc. The only one I found is two busses of 1.5 hours away in the same boro.

The black stylist I found I kinda lost respect for after a relaxer she did and used a cheap 3 for .99 thin tooth comb and I hear my hair break. I was like :nono: my hair came out nice but I was like no. I also hate when I go to placed and I'm made to feel bad because I want to use my own products. What's wrong with that?

Th farthest I go is my bathroom sink and I dont care How unhappy I may be with my hair, it's eons better than it ever was before I did it on my own.

Have dr salons become rare in nyc? When I still lived in ny there was one every other block.

Everytime I visit I get a rollerset and doobie (no blow out cause they scare me) but I havent visited since 2002 o_o