Why is my hair falling out?

luvovcandy

Since I have been a member of LHCF, I have been extra good to my hair. I deep condition regularly, I take my vitamins religiously (biotin, garlic, fish oil, flaxseed, etc.), I use mega-tek and OCT, I even tried stretching my relaxer... but my hair is falling out badly! I went from a nice thick and full head of hair to very thin hair. My edges are in horrible condition! What am I doing wrong? What can I do to fix it? Should I just go back to low maintenence? I feel I was better off just washing once a week and leaving it in a bun without touching it all week. Do any of you have this problem? Any suggestions?

snillohsss

What are you doing for moisture? You wrote about a lot of protein...but what about the balance? What DC are you using?

Evolving78

yes you should go back to just keeping it simple! you are doing too much, with the MT and OCT, that might have been too much protein for you. it looks like you are in a lot of challenges as well. you know what works for your hair, so don't stray from that trying everything you read on this board trying to make it grow faster. is it excessive shedding that you are experiencing or breakage?

luvovcandy

yes you should go back to just keeping it simple! you are doing too much, with the MT and OCT, that might have been too much protein for you. it looks like you are in a lot of challenges as well. you know what works for your hair, so don't stray from that trying everything you read on this board trying to make it grow faster. is it excessive shedding that you are experiencing or breakage?
I guess breakage because i saw a lot of split ends plus my edges disappeared. The only time I see a lot of hair come out is when I comb. I only see long strands though, not short pieces.

Brooklyn72

What were you doing when you had a nice thick full head of hair??? Go back to that. If that means cutting out all of the vitamins and extra stuff like OCT then I would suggest you try it and see what happens. Good Luck :yep:

Hair Iam

Could it be the MT, my hair went threw massive shedding when I was using it, had to stop . Just my 2 cents

newflowers

It sounds like you have too much protein and not even close to enough moisture to balance. While you can learn a great deal about new products here, you really need to be careful about getting carried away - which is really easy to do (I know from personal experience). Your hair was thick and needed length - what were you doing before? The lack of length retention would be a result of ends that need to be moisturized and protected. Work on that, and relax with all of the other things.

vnaps

Since I have been a member of LHCF, I have been extra good to my hair. I deep condition regularly, I take my vitamins religiously (biotin, garlic, fish oil, flaxseed, etc.), I use mega-tek and OCT, I even tried stretching my relaxer... but my hair is falling out badly! I went from a nice thick and full head of hair to very thin hair. My edges are in horrible condition! What am I doing wrong? What can I do to fix it? Should I just go back to low maintenence? I feel I was better off just washing once a week and leaving it in a bun without touching it all week. Do any of you have this problem? Any suggestions?

Funny, this is what i've decided to do for low manipulation.....i comb/detangle my hair on wash days (once a week)......i want to reduce breakage so my hair can thicken.....i dont feel i have retained as much hair as i can

What were you doing when you had a nice thick full head of hair??? Go back to that. If that means cutting out all of the vitamins and extra stuff like OCT then I would suggest you try it and see what happens. Good Luck :yep:

:yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep::yep:....this is what i told this other girl who was complaining that her hair broke terribly (APL to near nothing in the back)....she must have been doing something right to get to APL

MarieB

ITA with snilloh and shortdub...you need more moisture in your life. What's your regi? How much and how often are you manipulating your hair? Are you using direct heat? How often are you shampooing? How do you wear your hair on a daily basis?

MarieB

I also agree with the other ladies who posted while I was veeeerrryyy sslllooowwwlllyyy typing my message. Ok. I was cooking, but those questions are stil valid.

ctcks

First you need to determine if it was "hair loss" or "hair shedding" because they require different approaches to treatment. With shedding you need to look at the things you do to your hair. With alopecia (hair loss), you need to look at what's going on internally in your body or emotions. For example, have you had a recent fever? Poor health including lack of good nutrition, water, emotional stress, not enough sleep? Hormonal fluctuations? (When a woman has a baby, the extreme hormonal changes cause hair loss, but this is just temporary.) Take a look at my fotki and look at the hair loss series. http://public.fotki.com/ctcks/hair-loss-july-2007/ & Hair Loss Styling with Maxiglide http://video.fotki.com/ctcks/
I hope this helps.

Last edited:

luvovcandy

Could it be the MT, my hair went threw massive shedding when I was using it, had to stop . Just my 2 cents
You know what? You may be right! Im starting to think its the MT! Ive been using it for a month and my hair is getting worse. Maybe its not for me.

luvovcandy

ITA with snilloh and shortdub...you need more moisture in your life. What's your regi? How much and how often are you manipulating your hair? Are you using direct heat? How often are you shampooing? How do you wear your hair on a daily basis?
I condition twice a week, shampoo once a week, use mt and oct every other day, moisturize with humectress and oils, i comb every day. I usually bun.I dont use heat.

Denise11

I guess breakage because i saw a lot of split ends plus my edges disappeared. The only time I see a lot of hair come out is when I comb. I only see long strands though, not short pieces.

Long strands=shedding.

It could be from the growth aids. They do cause lots of shedding. And also the stretching causes shedding. Stretching sounds good but not everyone can or should do it, because it causes a lot of damage and hair loss for some of us. You have to make sure your hair can handle it.