WIG CHALLENGE for 2007

JamericanGurl

CurliDiva said:
Has anyone heard of OR seen a synthetic LACEFRONT wig?

A woman at the BSS swears that she has seen them, but couldn't provide any details about where to buy or how much. :ohwell: Some time I think other just like to TALK but if such a thing exist, I would like some details.

Call me thrifty.....but I refuse to pay hundreds for a real lacefront!:)

I bought one the other day because my hair shrinkage is awful in the summer and when I have to run out to meetings I often don't have alot of time to moisturize primp and etc.

The cost was $29. When I actually wear it I'll take a pic. I did do a homemade sew in yesterday.

locfreeme

I'm late, but joining in. My friend just turned me on to the instant weaves yesterday because I've been afraid to get a real one. My husband likes my hair in rod and roller sets, but it's just too hot and humid for all that. I can't get my sets to last more than a few days. Not interested in bunning, anyway, I always get breakage around the scrunchie.

So I have a Sensationnel instant weave: http://www.lfhair.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=16911. I'm taking a different approach, though. I have my hair in one cornrow underneath and I gelled and scrunched the front to blend. It blends perfectly! I plan to leave it in for 1-2 weeks at a time, instead of taking it off every day. My friend has done this for years and she hasn't had any problem with the combs or breakage in general. I slept it in last night with no problem. I don't care if it wears out in a few weeks since it was only $21 at the wig store. I'm willing to buy a new one each month at that price.

CurliDiva

locfreeme said:
I'm late, but joining in. My friend just turned me on to the instant weaves yesterday because I've been afraid to get a real one. My husband likes my hair in rod and roller sets, but it's just too hot and humid for all that. I can't get my sets to last more than a few days. Not interested in bunning, anyway, I always get breakage around the scrunchie.

So I have a Sensationnel instant weave: http://www.lfhair.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=16911. I'm taking a different approach, though. I have my hair in one cornrow underneath and I gelled and scrunched the front to blend. It blends perfectly! I plan to leave it in for 1-2 weeks at a time, instead of taking it off every day. My friend has done this for years and she hasn't had any problem with the combs or breakage in general. I slept it in last night with no problem. I don't care if it wears out in a few weeks since it was only $21 at the wig store. I'm willing to buy a new one each month at that price.

Welcome Locfreeme!

Sounds like a solid plan, but just watch out for damage from the combs.

SignatureBeauty

Okay I am In!!! Today I am going to buy a Nice Short Cut wig and I will post the Pic in my avatar, I need that right now because I have a 5 month Twa and the styles just aren't looking so good right now and this Texas Sun drinks all the Moisture out of it, Plus I am tired of the same style for 5 months LOL!! I just plan to keep it cornrowed and scalp oiled and shampoo about 2x's a week and apply a Nice Leave in conditioner. This will work out great.

locfreeme

CurliDiva said:
Welcome Locfreeme!

Sounds like a solid plan, but just watch out for damage from the combs.

Thanks. My plan didn't work out, though. After two days, I find that I have to adjust the wig so it stays as tight as I want it and positioned the way I want it. But it is still so convenient. I love it!

PaperClip

Hello....

Seeking to participate in this challenge (my first LCHF challenge!) I'll read through the entire thread at some point.... Here's where I am right now:

I like half-wigs/quick weaves. This is a new one I just got and I'd appreciate some guidance on how to wear it, esp. as it is different from the other half-wigs that I've worn in the past. This one is longer than what I've worn in the past.

These are the other ones I have... much more curly

Want to give my hair time and covering to grow, grow, grow!:)

Thank you all in advance for the guidance....

CurliDiva

Welcome RelaerRehab,

These are all very cute styles!

I'm finding wigs are a best protective style! You can take it off and wash, condition or any other treatments to your hair as much as want without worrying about styling.

I pre-poo overnight, went to gym and con washed, yet I looked great for work afterwards by just putting on the wig!;) (took less then a minute)

Good luck! CD

RelaxerRehab said:
Hello....

Seeking to participate in this challenge (my first LCHF challenge!) I'll read through the entire thread at some point.... Here's where I am right now:

I like half-wigs/quick weaves. This is a new one I just got and I'd appreciate some guidance on how to wear it, esp. as it is different from the other half-wigs that I've worn in the past. This one is longer than what I've worn in the past.

These are the other ones I have... much more curly

Want to give my hair time and covering to grow, grow, grow!:)

Thank you all in advance for the guidance....

whitneysimone

Happy Growing to everyone in the challenge!!!:grin: :grin:

I have a question, are you ladies wearing wig caps under your wigs or not??

and if you are what type of wig cap ...polyester, nylon, satin..ect.

I am looking everywhere to see if a silk wig cap exist....does anyone know if they're out there or am I gonna have to settle for something else :perplexed

ClassicBeauty

Well ladies, you all have inspired me to try a wig. Today I went to a wig store and tried on like 20 wigs. Sadly I didn't like any of them. Although it sounds great to have an alternative look (especially for rainy days) I don't think I can join this challenge. I've never really worn weaves or wigs, but I thought it was worth a try. Well I tried it and now I know it's not for me. I looked so... so... um... so unlike myself. This girl in the store said I looked exotic in a couple of them. (Whatever that means??) I tried on several shades of brown and even a black wig. (I looked asian in that wig!!!) I'm happy that you ladies like the look, but it's not for me.

PaperClip

DivaStyle said:
Well ladies, you all have inspired me to try a wig. Today I went to a wig store and tried on like 20 wigs. Sadly I didn't like any of them. Although it sounds great to have an alternative look (especially for rainy days) I don't think I can join this challenge. I've never really worn weaves or wigs, but I thought it was worth a try. Well I tried it and now I know it's not for me. I looked so... so... um... so unlike myself. This girl in the store said I looked exotic in a couple of them. (Whatever that means??) I tried on several shades of brown and even a black wig. (I looked asian in that wig!!!) I'm happy that you ladies like the look, but it's not for me.

Maybe you could start off with a half-wig/quick weave.... The full wigs were a bit overwhelming for me as well.... I feel like the half-wig is more of an "enhancement", add on versus the overall covering....

HTH

ClassicBeauty

RelaxerRehab said:
Maybe you could start off with a half-wig/quick weave.... The full wigs were a bit overwhelming for me as well.... I feel like the half-wig is more of an "enhancement", add on versus the overall covering....

HTH

Girl I tried on those too, but my hair is natural, and at the site of humidity or rain it begins to wave and puff up. I can just see myself looking crazy with the front all waved up and puffy and the back straight. (Not a good look.) Also, I was thinking about the wig to give my hair some time to chill out without heat or manipulation. The half-wig would require me to deal with the front like everyday. But thanks anyway.

SignatureBeauty

DivaStyle said:
Girl I tried on those too, but my hair is natural, and at the site of humidity or rain it begins to wave and puff up. I can just see myself looking crazy with the front all waved up and puffy and the back straight. (Not a good look.) Also, I was thinking about the wig to give my hair some time to chill out without heat or manipulation. The half-wig would require me to deal with the front like everyday. But thanks anyway.

LOL!!! That is why I have to buy a Full Cap Wig, I have to cover the whole head.

SignatureBeauty

Never Mind Ladies I have to drop out Before I start, My Daughter really looks up to me and when I said I was going to get a Wig she said that she needed one to, Now both of us is Natural and it wouldn't be fair for me to keep telling her not to cover her natural hair because it is beautiful and then I go buy a Wig LOL!!!!! But I sure need that wig LOL!!! Oh well I will just deal with it, because she wants to do whatever I do, she is 11, DAMN,DAMN,DAAAAMN!!!!!

ClassicBeauty

NappyParadise said:
Never Mind Ladies I have to drop out Before I start, My Daughter really looks up to me and when I said I was going to get a Wig she said that she needed one to, Now both of us is Natural and it wouldn't be fair for me to keep telling her not to cover her natural hair because it is beautiful and then I go buy a Wig LOL!!!!! But I sure need that wig LOL!!! Oh well I will just deal with it, because she wants to do whatever I do, she is 11, DAMN,DAMN,DAAAAMN!!!!!

I think you're making the right decision. That's part of the reason I didn't like the wigs today. I'm the main person telling everyone to love themselves the way they are and strive to be their own personal best. I felt so weird in a wig... so unlike myself. I don't like weaves, false nails, contacts, etc. I just like to be me. I do use heat on my hair, but I'm in love with the braidout, and that's helping me use less heat. I think it's great to teach her not to cover her natural self. I was hoping for an alternative look (plus being lazy), but I'll just settle for my own look. (Even when it's frizzy and puffy!)

SignatureBeauty

DivaStyle said:
I think you're making the right decision. That's part of the reason I didn't like the wigs today. I'm the main person telling everyone to love themselves the way they are and strive to be their own personal best. I felt so weird in a wig... so unlike myself. I don't like weaves, false nails, contacts, etc. I just like to be me. I do use heat on my hair, but I'm in love with the braidout, and that's helping me use less heat. I think it's great to teach her not to cover her natural self. I was hoping for an alternative look (plus being lazy), but I'll just settle for my own look. (Even when it's frizzy and puffy!)

That is very True! I just went and bought her some Suave Kids Smoothers for own Hair and bought me some Leave In. Good Luck Ladies that are doing the Wig Challenge!!!:D

Healthb4Length

I went ahead and ordered the style "jeanine" from Katourline wigs. I hope it works out. It's been a week and a half out of braids and I have 4 more weeks till touch up. I can't handle all this hair and I'm tired of bunning/twistouts.

SignatureBeauty

Okay Ladies! I know I said I had to drop out because of my Daughter wanting to get a wig to, Well I twisted her hair as her protective style and she was very Happy and said "Mom go ahead and get your wig" just don't get a Long Haired one LOL!! She said that she understands that I need more hair growth like her, silly girl, so Saturday I will go get a Short hair cut wig, I really need this because my hair is at that crazy stage of the Twa grow out. So here is my Wig Routine:

Shampoo & Deep Condition Once A week.
Apply Shea Butter Lightly and Plait it up.

(I'll have like 30 small plaits because my hair is short LOL)

QUESTION? What do ya'll wear under your wigs?

whitneysimone

i have been looking for a silk wig cap for some time but havn't found any. now, out of desperation, i just use the same square silk scarf i sleep in, wrap the ends around my head and throw a wig over it. :ohwell: :look:

Kacie

whitneysimone said:
i have been looking for a silk wig cap for some time but havn't found any. now, out of desperation, i just use the same square silk scarf i sleep in, wrap the ends around my head and throw a wig over it. :ohwell: :look:

I've been searching for a silk wig cap also. I assume there are no silk wig caps because of the spandex issue. I've resorted to using my silk scarf too.

Blu217

Ya'll, I'm scared to wear a wig. I still think of them in the old-school terms--my grandma wore wigs and they looked fake.

Do people know you're wearing a wig or a fall?
Can they really tell your hair from your wig hair if you get a good one that's close to your natural color and length?
Do they get hot?
Oh--and the fellas. What about dating a guy who thinks it's your hair and then finds out it's not? I'd be the one with my wig slipping all off without realizing it was crooked or something, or somebody would try to touch it and end up snatching it right off.
I'm scurred.

I see falls often--those high flip phonytail things I guess--but a lot of them look so unnatural to me and I'm a natural sort of girl. I am thinning and probably need to look in this direction, but I need some guidance from the experienced people!

Last edited:

bluediamond0829

Blu217 said:
Ya'll, I'm scared to wear a wig. I still think of them in the old-school terms--my grandma wore wigs and they looked fake.

Do people know you're wearing a wig or a fall?
Can they really tell your hair from your wig hair if you get a good one that's close to your natural color and length?
Do they get hot?
Oh--and the fellas. What about dating a guy who thinks it's your hair and then finds out it's not? I'd be the one with my wig slipping all off without realizing it was crooked or something, or somebody would try to touch it and end up snatching it right off.
I'm scurred.

I see falls often--those high flip phonytail things I guess--but a lot of them look so unnatural to me and I'm a natural sort of girl. I am thinning and probably need to look in this direction, but I need some guidance from the experienced people!

Just to answer some of your questions....

majority of the people dont realize it is a wig unless i tell them or either they are familiar with wigs..(well from the ones i buy)....i always buy freetress wigs..from gmbshair.com...I had even some people think that it was a very good sewin or bond in weave....so thats really how natural these wigs look...

http://store.goldenmartbeautysupply.com/shngofuba.html

i have the New york girl one, something similar to the Honolulu Girl wig, the balitmore girl, San francisco girl, and oakland girl and i have several of them....i also have pics in my album of me wearing some of the wigs....

but i understand what you mean...i could never find a wig that looked so natural and didnt look like a wig until i found this namebrand of wigs...i would be so envious of women that could find wigs that didnt look like wigs...

i think the key for it to not look so much like a wig is for the hair to be thinner and lighter....

as far as getting hot..i lived in So. Florida and now live in ATL i experimented with different wig caps so now ive found one that has holes in it to allow my scalp to breath and the wig itself is very light....so no i dont get hot personally with wearing my namebrand of wigs...

well if ive been dating the guy for awhile i just let him know whats up from the jump..im sorry its no shame in my game...my last guy friend that i was dating knew i would wear the wigs...but usually when i got home from work or running errands i would actually take it off and have a knotted head wrap on by the time i saw him..so he never complained...and i never had a worry about it slipping off because of the secured combs in the front and back...

my hair actually grew very much because i was able to wash my hair and plus add conditioner or oils on my hair as much as possible...

im trying to get back in the routine of wearing them at least to get my hair to grow to where i want it to be and plus to cut back on spending $$ at the salon...im thinking about purchasing the Vancouver Girl wig(i couldve sworn Eve was wearing this look on a repeat of her show that i was watching)

Oh BTW my avatar pic is a actual pic of the Oakland Girl wig...

Last edited:

curlyj

I hope that everyone is doing well on the challenge...After I Maxi'd my hair I was so tempted to wear it out, but I'm back in my Wig...Dont plan on changing a thing until 7/08...Especially since I reached my goal while wearing them.

Here's an old pic of a wig I wore during winter b4 last(just the straight one)...I never had the gumption to wear the curly style OUT! The last two pic's is where my hair is NOW.(color has grown out completely- which I miss, but wearing wigs has helped me grow a head full of new hair. My Natural hair is now longer than the my current wig(stretched-still can't get my roots straight, but hey). I feel wigs are wonderful b/c they allow you to wash, do treatments, and moisturize as often as you like. Dont be shy wear your wig, trust me yur hair will thank you over and over and over again the protection.

Oh and one thing..I highly rec. NOT wearing one with combs. Adjustable straps are all you need!

Attachments

• 94627295365_290_2-th.jpg
    94627295365_290_2-th.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 94697904773_290-th.jpg
    94697904773_290-th.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 107456508293_290_1-th.jpg
    107456508293_290_1-th.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 175396305669_0_0.jpg
    175396305669_0_0.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 175396059141_0_0.jpg
    175396059141_0_0.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 37

Blu217

Thanks, ladies. I've started researching wigs and today saw some that looked pretty natural. I like the ones with less hair in them; the ones that would resemble my own hair in its fullest, healtiest state are the best looking to me. Oh--and the ones with bangs. The ones that part in the front but leave all that thick draped hair where your hairline should be screams WIG, I think.

As for needing a silk cap, why not just get old-school? Any pair of silk stockings will do--cut one of the legs off, tie a knot on one end to close it and voila--instant silk do-rag like they used to wear waaaaaaay back in the day.

Daisimae

I haven't joined the challenge yet, but, I just got my second wig today. I'm waiting to see how hot they will be before I join.

The wigs are NewHair wigs. They have an opening in the front so you can part your own hair to let your scalp show thru. You can choose to have your part come on the left, center or right of your head. They come in human hair and synthetic These two are human hair, color 01B, left part. I've worn my first wig twice. Everyone, including my friends have thought it was my hair, until I told them it was a wig. Even my husband asked me if it was my hair the first time he saw me in it. :lachen: Now, he should have known better!

The wigs attach with clips at the top and sides and a comb in the back. I spray them with oil so they won't harm my hair. I haven't seen any hair in the combs when I remove the wig. They are at http://www.newhairwigs.com.

Here is a picture of the two wigs I the one on the left is the one I have worn.

SignatureBeauty

I am suppose to go get one on Saturday, I don't know how it is gonna workout LOL!! Because it is HOT in Texas LOL!! & Yes I will pull that sucker off, but then again I don't want me or my hair to depend on it for growth all the time, so I might just wear it to the Store or On the Weekends to the Flea Market or something, Because if I drink that wig will be flying off, cocked to the side,crooked, put back on backwards, so If I do my wild activities I won't wear it. But we'll see. I remember my Great Grandma had a whole line of wigs in different styles an colors sitting on them white head & neck wig heads. But when she took that wig off Lawd have mercy! she had no hair at all, But she did wear that silk stocking with the legs cut up under her wigs.

Healthb4Length

Daisimae said:
I haven't joined the challenge yet, but, I just got my second wig today. I'm waiting to see how hot they will be before I join.

The wigs are NewHair wigs. They have an opening in the front so you can part your own hair to let your scalp show thru. You can choose to have your part come on the left, center or right of your head. They come in human hair and synthetic These two are human hair, color 01B, left part. I've worn my first wig twice. Everyone, including my friends have thought it was my hair, until I told them it was a wig. Even my husband asked me if it was my hair the first time he saw me in it. :lachen: Now, he should have known better!

The wigs attach with clips at the top and sides and a comb in the back. I spray them with oil so they won't harm my hair. I haven't seen any hair in the combs when I remove the wig. They are at http://www.newhairwigs.com.

Here is a picture of the two wigs I the one on the left is the one I have worn.

These are so cute, I was interested in getting it but there were so many bad reviews about them (to the left) on Blackhairmedia.com that I decided against it. Does the wig hair resemble AA hair? Or is it shiny?

CurliDiva

curlyj said:
I hope that everyone is doing well on the challenge...After I Maxi'd my hair I was so tempted to wear it out, but I'm back in my Wig...Dont plan on changing a thing until 7/08...Especially since I reached my goal while wearing them.

Here's an old pic of a wig I wore during winter b4 last(just the straight one)...I never had the gumption to wear the curly style OUT! The last two pic's is where my hair is NOW.(color has grown out completely- which I miss, but wearing wigs has helped me grow a head full of new hair. My Natural hair is now longer than the my current wig(stretched-still can't get my roots straight, but hey). I feel wigs are wonderful b/c they allow you to wash, do treatments, and moisturize as often as you like. Dont be shy wear your wig, trust me yur hair will thank you over and over and over again the protection.

Oh and one thing..I highly rec. NOT wearing one with combs. Adjustable straps are all you need!

Congrats CurlyJ - your succes is an inspiration to all of us!

I totally agree that a WIG (I've worn braids and weaves in the past) is the BEST protective style I've tried!