WTH?! Hard+Gummy+Greasy Hair...

MizaniMami

Okay, so lately when I have been moisturizing daily with my spray concoction (Humecto+water+Keracare essential oils+Castor oil) my hair dries to be hard, gummy, and greasy. To the point where it breaks when styling.

Before you ladies yell clarify, I clarify once a week. I wash twice a week, one time being a cowash. I don't know what it is. It usually isn't like this.

I don't think it's protein overload but yet I don't think it is moisture overload. Maybe it's something in the moisture concoction? I added a little bit extra castor oil. Could that be it?

I like using spray moisturizers for the GHLW (no manipulation) challenge because they are easy to apply and have virtually no manipulation. But lately I am thinking baout switching to creams, which I don't want to do because I never feel that I have used enough plus the extra manipulation doesn't fly right with me.

Any suggestions of thoughts? PLEASE help me guys!

Radianthealth

From my experience, Castor Oil makes my hair sticky and gummy. You might want to take that out and see how your hair does...I know you need it to help thicken, maybe you can use it to deep condition instead of moisturize:perplexed

MizaniMami

trimbride said:
From my experience, Castor Oil makes my hair sticky and gummy. You might want to take that out and see how your hair does...I know you need it to help thicken, maybe you can use it to deep condition instead of moisturize:perplexed

Thank you for replying!

I honestly think it was the castor oil too. I think I will eleminate this.

KiniKakes

Yeah, I think you should take out the castor oil and see what happens.... or, at the very least, add less to your concoction next time.

Castor oils is just so thick and sticky..... Ive never used it in combination with anything else. But I do know that when I use it alone, my hair does not come out soft, silky, or anything of the like. When I use my Jamaican Black Castor oil, it is with one purpose: let it sit in my hair for a day or so, in the hopes that it thickens up the new growth and strands. I eventually wash it out..... Ive never attempted to comb or style it with the castor oil in, because it just doesnt lend to soft, silky, tangle-free hair. When I use the castor oil, Im prepared to bun it for that week.

Everything else in your concoction sounds good though....... I just love KeraCare Essential Oils.

Keep us posted!

MizaniMami

Thank you ladies.:notworthy

Whew, I thought my hair was liking this spray concoction anymore. Then I remembered I added castor oil-a lot of it too.

I am about to remake it right now! Thanks again ladies!

And KINI, it sure was Jamaican black castor oil, figures huh!

KiniKakes

MizaniMami said:
Thank you ladies.:notworthy

Whew, I thought my hair was liking this spray concoction anymore. Then I remembered I added castor oil-a lot of it too.

I am about to remake it right now! Thanks again ladies!

And KINI, it sure was Jamaican black castor oil, figures huh!

Oh yeah, that jont is HELLA thick girl!!!!! :p

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
its product overload...stop using that thick concoction on your hair... too much product can cause breakage.... use something lighter.... hope that helps! :)

Cayenne0622

Another reason why I love this board. There is always at least one person who can offer you a suggestion or some help to your issue. It is so reassuring. Otherwise we would go through all of these hair issues alone and probably result to cutting it all off.

Good work ladies!! Mizani - keep us posted. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Allandra

Poohbear said:
its product overload...stop using that thick concoction on your hair... too much product can cause breakage.... use something lighter.... hope that helps! :)
I agree. Trying something lighter is a good idea. Have you ever thought about using the KeraCare Essential Oils by itself?

MizaniMami said:
Okay, so lately when I have been moisturizing daily with my spray concoction (Humecto+water+Keracare essential oils+Castor oil) my hair dries to be hard, gummy, and greasy. To the point where it breaks when styling.

Before you ladies yell clarify, I clarify once a week. I wash twice a week, one time being a cowash. I don't know what it is. It usually isn't like this.

I don't think it's protein overload but yet I don't think it is moisture overload. Maybe it's something in the moisture concoction? I added a little bit extra castor oil. Could that be it?

I like using spray moisturizers for the GHLW (no manipulation) challenge because they are easy to apply and have virtually no manipulation. But lately I am thinking baout switching to creams, which I don't want to do because I never feel that I have used enough plus the extra manipulation doesn't fly right with me.

Any suggestions of thoughts? PLEASE help me guys!

Besides the sticky gummy felling you've been getting lately, does this mix make your hair greasy or oily? It sounds like a great combination, besides the castor oil, and how do you wear your hair daily when using this?

MizaniMami

pink_n_green_iz_me said:
Besides the sticky gummy felling you've been getting lately, does this mix make your hair greasy or oily? It sounds like a great combination, besides the castor oil, and how do you wear your hair daily when using this?

It usually makes my hair feel so good. I usually wear my hair slicked back into a ponytail or clipped up with some fancy clip.

I took you ladies advice and I remade the concoction. I added a tsp of humecto/humectress about 4 drops of Kc essential oils and the rest water. My hair is back!!! It is so soft. I even worked out and my hair puffed up to be so soft.

I think I may throw that castor oil out.

Allandra, I never thought about using just water and KC Ess. Oils. I will put some thought into that though. Great idea.

Barbara

Princess
Regarding the castor oil: It's too thick, and it doesn't have enough "slip." I will only use it on my ends or hair line. I may decide to add it to my conditioners or pomade just to see how it works, but as for now, it works better on my hair line or ends.

When you use castor oil, you have to use a VERY VERY small amount. My longest layer is SL and even when I use less than a dime sized amount of castor oil sometimes even THAT makes my hair heavy. It is really no joke but no other oil compares to the softness it gives IMO