Yogurt for Straightening/Loosing curl pattern in 4b naturals...

springy_curly

I don't use yogurt but I do prepoo with sour cream mixed with conditioner. I tried the yogurt mixed with lemon a few months ago and was not impressed. I didn't see any of the results other people mentioned. MAYBE my hair was more moisturized but not noticeably.

So two weeks ago I decided to try it again this time with just plain yogurt and conditioner. But I didn't have any plain yogurt so I grabbed the sour cream instead. I figured it was good enough. (Really I was too lazy to go to the store) :look:

I just mixed the sour cream into some Organix conditioner and left it in for about an hour.The first time I did it the results were OK. Nothing spectacular, I did notice that after styling my hair was slightly stronger. So the next week I did the same thing but this time I used mostly sour cream with some conditioner mixed in. The results were significant. After just washing my hair was more defined and the curls along the length of my hair were looser. For some reason my roots were not elongated but definitely more defined.

Yogurt and sour cream are basically the same thing only sour cream is made from heavy cream while yogurt is made from milk. some people mentioned that low fat yogurt didn't give the same results as full fat, maybe this is why the sour cream, which has a higher fat content, gave me results when yogurt did not.

MzSwift

I use yogurt as a protein tx. It has not ever loosened my curls.
I've used it with and without heat. I love it as a protein tx! It's cool to hear other ladies' experiences with it.

Afrobuttafly

Afrobuttafly I see you're in Florida. Have you checked Publix for full fat Greek yogurt?

Yep. I tried the Pub and Walmart..but there is sooo much yogurt I may have just missed it. I will look again. They may have been out of it as well. I might just have to give up on the greek and go for full fat plain yogurt. I have sour cream in the fridge now though...hehe

Afrobuttafly

So...I decided to try the sour cream treatment. I used sour cream a little bit of honey and a little aussie moist conditioner. I applied it in sections, smoothing from root to tip. Then i put each section into a bun and put on a shower cap to contain the mess. We'll see what happens.

carameldimples

I tried this yesterday, I did yogurt alone and then DC'ed afterwards, my hair is super moisturized right now. I don't think it loosened my coils but they were very defined afterwards.

Afrobuttafly

So I kind of combined this with oil rinsing. After I rinsed the treatment out an hour later, I applied olive oil all over my hair then rinsed with warm water, Then I applied my conditioner and rinsed with cool water. My hair has never felt so smooth! It had nice definition and there was a little less shrinkage. It's dry now, but doesn't feel DRY like it normally would after air drying with no product. It's soft too. This is a keeper.

STILL going to try the yogurt one too.

keepithealthy

I still haven't found full fat greek yogurt only low or no fat yogurts.. so the treatment will have to wait =[

onesummer'sday10 I'm thinking that if it doesn't say low or no fat it's automatically full fat, though it doesn't say that on the label.

keepithealthy could you be specific with the variations you've tried with success? What exactly were they and what were the results. If you please. :grin:

Afrobuttafly sorry for the delay in replying...

Here are a few I've tried that I saw on youtube

(this was good)
Coconut Cream Relaxer (don't worry it didn't relax a thing)
2tbs Tropical Traditions Coconut Oil
1.5 tbs Tropical Traditions Coconut Cream Concentrate
8-12 oz Plain Yogurt (or fat-free yogurt)

(but I liked it much better when I added some conditioner in the mix)

(I love love love this! super moisturized hair! I do this at least once a month. This doesn't involve yogurt but it works so good!)
Caramel Treatment
Honey - 6 tablespoons
Olive Oil - 6 tablespoons
Bananas - 2-3 overripe and very soft
Molasses (Treacle) - 3 tablespoons
Water - 4-6 tablespoons
Apple Cider Vinegar - 1 tablespoon
Cornstarch - 1-2 tablespoons depending on how thick you want the mixture to be (I've never added the cornstarch)

I usually use what ever I have around the house for example

yogurt
coconut milk
conditioner

yogurt
evoo
conditioner
molasses
coconut milk

I wasn't really using yogurt that much in my dc's but I have found that since using it more consistently my hair seems to not tangle as much. So now I use yogurt weekly and I see the difference. Oh and I use it as a dc most of the time I cw afterward. I hope this helps :)

I'm 3c 4a but I've also tried on my 4b niece and it has worked great.

somewhereinbtwn

Ahh the thread that brought me to lhcf, through a google search,and changed my hair-life. Buttermilk did loosen my curl pattern a little. I tried yogurt, but that didn't work, it made my hair super soft. Sour cream/lemon juice was an absoulute diasaster. But this was all last year,I've since accepted my curl pattern for what it is. If I want curls, I do twist outs.

Marino

I tried yogurt today, followed by a wash and go, I like the result... And yes, the curls are very loose

Attachments

• 14- aout 2011 (6).jpg
    14- aout 2011 (6).jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

feemy

I mixed plain yogurt, buttermilk, honey, lemon juice, aloe vera, and coconut oil. Then saturated my hair with it (next time I will section my hair when i apply it, i kinda did it the messy way and threw it in my hair, lol) and sat under the hooded dome dryer for 30 minutes w/plastic cap. And for another 30 minutes just left it on my hair still with the plastic cap. Rinsed and combed in the shower.

My hair came out soft and while I was doing my twists i noticed that my curl pattern was a little loose. The comb also slid through my hair much easier even without it being moisturized. Right now i have twists and will have to wait until tomorrow to see the final results.

Next time i will try greek yogurt and play around with different ingredients to see the results and also try using the steamer.

EmeRaldPrinXess

I use yogurt as a protein tx. It has not ever loosened my curls.
I've used it with and without heat. I love it as a protein tx! It's cool to hear other ladies' experiences with it.

I just used it as a protein treatment (added 1 egg, and about 2-3 tbsp of mayonnaise) and I'm in :love4: with this combo!!

So I kind of combined this with oil rinsing. After I rinsed the treatment out an hour later, I applied olive oil all over my hair then rinsed with warm water, Then I applied my conditioner and rinsed with cool water. My hair has never felt so smooth! It had nice definition and there was a little less shrinkage. It's dry now, but doesn't feel DRY like it normally would after air drying with no product. It's soft too. This is a keeper.

STILL going to try the yogurt one too.

I oil rinsed after my yoghurt-egg-mayo treatment :lick: :yep: and I will continue to do this often!! :grin: :grin:

EmeRaldPrinXess

I mixed plain yogurt, buttermilk, honey, lemon juice, aloe vera, and coconut oil. Then saturated my hair with it (next time I will section my hair when i apply it, i kinda did it the messy way and threw it in my hair, lol) and sat under the hooded dome dryer for 30 minutes w/plastic cap. And for another 30 minutes just left it on my hair still with the plastic cap. Rinsed and combed in the shower.

My hair came out soft and while I was doing my twists i noticed that my curl pattern was a little loose. The comb also slid through my hair much easier even without it being moisturized. Right now i have twists and will have to wait until tomorrow to see the final results.

Next time i will try greek yogurt and play around with different ingredients to see the results and also try using the steamer.

^^^ That sounds so :lick: :lick:! I bet it smelled divine too! :grin:

kiminprogress

I read somewhere that it is the lactic acid that gives the results of a slightly looser curl. I didn't have yogurt when I washed and DC'd my daughters hair so I tried plain ol full fat milk and heavy cream. Oddly enought, IT WORKED on her 4a/b (mostly b hair). I also tried it on my other daughters hair (more of a 3c/4a) with the same results.

It was messy, but I poured it in over the sink and baggied their hair for about 30-40 minutes. One thing I noticed is that the curl pattern is slightly more relaxed, but the texture (course vs. silky) did not change a bit. So dont expect 3c/4a or 4b courser hair to turn into silkier hair because of this :)

Example: Don't expect Rachael True Hair to turn into Leona Lewis's silkier hair.

Rachel True Hair.jpg
vs.
Leona Lewis Silky.jpg

I think I'll keep doing this because it gives their plaits a bit more hang and makes detangleing that much easier.

sapphire18

I have used coconut and lime, my hair was easier to detangle but I had more shrinkage. I had wet my hair first. Maybe I will try applying it to my dry hair.

intellectualuva

I LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!! your hair. :drool:

I did the yogurt DC today...or well, more like yesterday now lol

Here's what I did:

I went out and got some Dannon All Natural Plain Yogurt (Full Fat)

Added a few generous scoops of the yogurt into a tupperware bowl, along with some other goodies. Ended up smelling like a dessert :lick:

Applied to my dry hair in sections

...left it on for about an hour, hopped in the shower, rinsed, and did a quick cowash. My hair was SUPER defined coming out of the shower, when normally it's really frizzy/not so defined. I was so surprised! I noticed my hair had a little bit more hang, but nothing dramatic, and my hair felt stronger.

Fresh out of the shower results

I will definitely do this again, but with a few changes:

1. no banana! Unless I suuuper mash it, with like a blender or something first. It sucked trying to get the little bits out of my hair.

2. Ditch the Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque. My hair is sort of indifferent/borderline hates it when I use it by itself... I was just trying to use it up basically. Would have been better without it.

I'd like to try the yogurt by itself or with just one or two conditioners next time. I'll probably do this again this weekend :yep:

Sorry for the big pics!

Lebiya

www.snowdriftfarm.com sells pure lactic acid in it's liquid form -- if added to some moisturizing ingredients and a light protein could this be a shortcut to the whole yogurt/sour milk thing? If Lactic acid is the active ingredient causing the straightening/loosening maybe it could be combined to a set strength, and the mixer could determine what degree of looseness they want....It would take some experimenting, but since it's temporary there's not alot to lose...right?

I did a google and found that in many if not most of the hair styling products that help enlongate / relax / lengthen the curl pattern in kinky hair is lactic acid. I am going to purchase some and experiment (using it sparingly of course) Most of those finishing products are mega expensive. I'm going to make up a gel of my own using the lactic acid and IC gel as the base adding oils and other moisturizing ingredients.

I received my Lactic Acid yesterday and will be experimentning with it soon.

I also found some Greek yogurt that looks like its on steroids it's made with Whey protein isolate and cream. It has a ton of fat, it's yogurt on streoids, I'll be doing a DC with that this weekend. This Greek Yogurt makes my Dannon look like a 10 lb weakling!!

Did any of you ladies end up trying the lactic acid liquid form mixed into a in a DC? If how did it work?
I’m thinking about buying the lactic acid in liquid form -from www.snowdriftfarm.com- and adding it to my DC.

Esthi777

Ok, so after chasing down WHOLE yogurt and WHOLE buttermilk, I did this treatment this morning and added molasses. I washed my hair with a clarifying shampoo and slapped on the concoction. I immediately was concerned because my hair just didn't feel right. It felt like it was going to be stripped once I rinsed the stuff out. In addition, my fingernails became stripped in the process! I left this on for an hour and then raced to rinse it off. To my surprise, my hair was not stripped! There was no need to detangle. My hair felt fantastic and my whack patch on my crown area behaved. The water usually just sits on my hair strands in my crown area due to low porosity but not this time. After about 5 minutes, my crown area reverted back to frizz BUT my curls popped! I also noticed that my hair dried very quickly. I'm not sure why, though. HTH somebody who thinking about trying it.

ETA: I went throughout the day and with my hair completely dry, I have noticed that my poof isn't really a poof, it just kinda hangs. So in conclusion. I do think the yogurt concoction does relax the hair a bit and allows it to hang:yep:

Last edited:

AtlantaJJ

AtlantaJJ Soliel185 Did you guys try the liquid lactic acid added to your dc? If so, what were your results? Lebiya wants to know.

I haven't tried my lactic acid directly in my DC (kinda forgot about trying that) but I swear by using Greek yogurt in my DC. I get the full fat kind and I add about a tablespoon to my DC and my hair loves this! I do this at least once per month, sometimes two. If I were using heat, I would do it more often.

DearJohn

I have mixture of mostly 4b and some 4a and it did nothing for my pattern. However it did strengthen my hair better than sore bought protein conditioners without breaking my hair since I am protein sensitive (I now use plain ol egg for that.) but no my hair pattern did not loosen.

blaqharmoni

I normally lurk around here, but I have to say- My hair absolutely loved this...

I mixed nearly half a tub of whole fat plain yogurt I purchased from target with Joico K-Pak Reconstruct conditioner (my hair adores protein). I washed with Herbal Essences Totally Twisted shampoo, then followed with the yogurt mixture. My hair INSTANTLY melted on contact, I've never felt my curls silken or respond like that, ever!!

I put on two shower caps and let it sit for an hour while I did house chores. When I rinsed it out my hair was almost totally detangled, soft, and nicely clumped together.

I added my water-diluted Aussie moist mixture throughout my damp hair, and used Eco Styler Argan Oil gel for definition (this is my standard after wash procedure). BUT my hair was already so defined and my curls were soo much looser I didnt have to part it into tiny sections and spend an hour shingling... Just gel and conditioner throughout my WnG, and I was out the door.

My hair hung more than usual and dried into a "hanging" curly fro without the TONS of gel I usually have to apply... Sorry for this long a$$ post, but I didn't expect it to work this well. :lol:

The first two pics are damp hair with gel and Aussie moist, the last pic is several hours later completely dried.

Attachments

• IMG-20110901-00181.jpg
    IMG-20110901-00181.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG-20110901-00182.jpg
    IMG-20110901-00182.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG-20110902-00192.jpg
    IMG-20110902-00192.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG-20110902-00196.jpg
    IMG-20110902-00196.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 166

lwilliams1922

anyone have any problems with sour milk smell?

I tried this a few years ago but the only thing I remember was not being able to get rid of the sour milk smell.

I'm not sure... Maybe I left it on too long or something. I want to try it again if I can't find out what when wrong.