Your Best Non-gel Product For Providing Hold On Loose Natural Hair?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Greetings!

Question: What is the best non-gel product you know for providing hold on loose natural hair? Thanks in advance!

Back story:
My hair was feeling wonderfully hydrated and moisturized today . . . until I applied my gel. Mannnnnnn! Today it was like my gel was a living being/creature whose only source of sustenance is moisturizing hair products. Today I applied gel to my very moisturized hair, and the gel IMMEDIATELY commenced to slurping up every thing on my strands that was providing a moisturized feeling.

This happens often enough that I am ready to try eliminating gel from my hair regimen. I've tried tons of gels, too. I just can't bring myself to buy another. :yep: I need to find an alternative styling product that is not a gel. Your suggestions? Thank you for any insight!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I searched the forum for suggestions before creating this thread.

One of the suggestions was 411 Hydrating Styling Creme. I can't seem to find anything about it. Discontinued???

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I almost, ALMOST found the solution!!!

Komaza makes a raved-about NOT-A-GEL styling pudding.

THE PROBLEM? They may have reformulated it. :whyme::crying3:

What do you think, guys? Should I try it, whether reformulated or not?

Reviews (Please click to enlarge; I pasted the one mentioning the possible formula change first :():
upload_2016-8-4_3-28-41.png upload_2016-8-4_3-26-53.png upload_2016-8-4_3-24-40.png

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I like Jane carter curl defining cream. It is a little heavier than some of the curl other creams

I've also used Herbal Essence Long Term Relationship Conditioner, but that didn't hold as well.

PatTodd

I used to use Devacurl Heaven in Hair conditioner as a styler instead of gel, and sometimes I use Silk Elements mousse. But I eventually returned to gel. I just use some pomade to seal my hair first.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I like Jane carter curl defining cream. It is a little heavier than some of the curl other creams

I've also used Herbal Essence Long Term Relationship Conditioner, but that didn't hold as well.

Thanks! I have a sample of the Jane Carter. I can revisit it.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I used to use Devacurl Heaven in Hair conditioner as a styler instead of gel, and sometimes I use Silk Elements mousse. But I eventually returned to gel. I just use some pomade to seal my hair first.

Thanks! Good food for thought!

I can try sealing with the Oyin burnt sugar I have. Hadn't thought of that!

How did your curls look and feel with the DevaCurl Heaven in Hair? Also, what is your curl pattern and hair porosity? TIA!

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I agree with @shawnyblazes you need to know your dew points.

I'm in NY and I know that summer winter have the lowest dew points. Like extremely low. Like opposite sides of the spectrum. I also know I cannot use the same products in summer and winter as summer requires more protein and less butter use due to sun exposure and winter requires less protein and more butter usage.

Spring and fall have higher dew points so I can use the same products those time of the year.

Recommending curling gels won't work unless you combat your climate.

Shea Moisture Curling Gel Soufflé has been working well, but I've figured out to use it and I can guarantee it would not work during the winter.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I agree with @shawnyblazes you need to know your dew points.

I'm in NY and I know that summer winter have the lowest dew points. Like extremely low. Like opposite sides of the spectrum. I also know I cannot use the same products in summer and winter as summer requires more protein and less butter use due to sun exposure and winter requires less protein and more butter usage.

Spring and fall have higher dew points so I can use the same products those time of the year.

Recommending curling gels won't work unless you combat your climate.

Shea Moisture Curling Gel Soufflé has been working well, but I've figured out to use it and I can guarantee it would not work during the winter.

It can work in the winter (for me), you just have to put a butter product over it ( sealing) with no humectants in it.

It just works effortlessly in the spring ,summer and highly works in humid/rainy weather

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@Saludable84 and @shawnyblazes, thank you so much for mentioning the dew point thing.

I don't know ANYTHING about this. :laugh:

Here is my city's dew point info for today. How should I read this? What does it mean? TIA!

ETA: I will post an excerpt about natural hair and dew points below. I think it may answer my question.

:thankyou:

upload_2016-8-4_14-38-1.png

YvetteWithJoy

On break
This may answer my question above.

Different Dew Point Levels

Dry Dew Point: 15-30 degrees (-1 C)

• Typically the winter months.
  • Avoid humectants.
  • Use leave in conditioners.
  • Use light hold products.
  • Use plenty of emollients (moisturizing oils, butters).
Mid-Range Dew Point: 30-40 degrees (-1 to 4 C)

• In between seasons, this will require trial and error to see what your hair likes.
  • Some curls tolerate humectants in this range, some don't.
  • Use emollients.
Best Dew Point for Curls: 40-60 degrees (4 to 16 C)

• You will enjoy the best curls at this dew point.
  • Keep your hair moisturized.
  • Humectants can be used.
  • Use emollients.
High Dew Point: 60 (16C ) +

• May skip a leave in conditioner.
  • Hard hold products like gels. You will want to control your hair.
  • May want to avoid humectants.
  • Use emollients.

PatTodd

Thanks! Good food for thought!

I can try sealing with the Oyin burnt sugar I have. Hadn't thought of that!

How did your curls look and feel with the DevaCurl Heaven in Hair? Also, what is your curl pattern and hair porosity? TIA!

My hair is a very defined 4b, low porosity. The Heaven In Hair gave excellent definition and hold but I think I just got tired of using it LOL! I try not to depend too much on specialty products because I hate to run out.

naturalmanenyc

Google NC Curly Forecast and put your zip code in.

It will break it down really quick and point you to products

@shawnyblazes
I wish I had known about this years ago. I was in Miami for work a few years ago rocking a cute twist out.....until I wasn't.
I didn't even know how much my hair started to shrink until coworkers started taking selfies. My twist out was a shrunken hot mess.

We took a cruise out of Miami that same year with family and I wore a ponytail for nearly the entire trip since none of my hair products worked for me.

Rain20

Donna Marie Curling Cream has good hold and is not drying but I still use a leave in underneath. Some people like Cantu curling cream but I am not sure of the hold. I like Shea Moisture's Peace Rose gel cream. Also the Twisted Sister gel is moisturizing. I will mix gels sometimes. A moisturizing gel mixed with a gel with more hold. Also you can add your favorite light oil before adding gel. Let us know what you find.