"your hair's to good to be haitian..."

niqu92

my dear you're lookin pretttttty darn close to wsl.

giiirl ive been stuck at this length for more than 1yr.the dream of being wsl is starting to fade slowly but surely lol
god is probably punishing me since ive been so damn conceited/vain with my hair tryin to pull a willow smith&whip it in ppls faces.im trying to refrain my hair as much as possible so i dont end up breaking my neck,cause next thing you knw ima be swanging my hair too hard and ima end up hearing a "crickity-crack" noise:nono: :nono:

niqu92

I had to laugh at this. Unfortunately so many people are ignorant about Haitians and it's really sad. I've been lucky enough to not have people say stuff like that to me- if they like my hair, they'll just say I like your hair. If they think I'm pretty, they'll just say I think you're pretty. I'm grateful for not having to deal with extremely ignorant people. Only once has someone been surprised by my ethnicity and that was because she didn't like Haitians (supposedly there's this unnecessary tension between Jamaicans and Haitians -sigh)- she liked me and this other Haitian girl and was shocked that when she found out we were Haitian. She didn't even want to believe the other girl, who is light-skinned with curly hair, was Haitian haha. My mom has gotten these types of comments though-her own doctor had the nerve to suggest that she must've been born near the Dominican Republic/must have Dominican blood. A doctor. People still don't understand that there are variations within black countries. They understand that England has variations, not all people in France look the same but Haiti? Any African country? No, we must all look alike in these countries (sarcasm)

i actually met this jamaican guy at school the other day who did not want to believe i was Haitian at all.He kept tellling me that i can be from any other island but not Haiti because im light-skined.My dad is light complexioned with 1b hair,most people actually think he's middle-eastern. i cant even begin to tell you the comments/reactions he gets when he tells ppl hes haitian:ohwell:

NaturalBeauty<3

giiirl ive been stuck at this length for more than 1yr.the dream of being wsl is starting to fade slowly but surely lol
god is probably punishing me since ive been so damn conceited/vain with my hair tryin to pull a willow smith&whip it in ppls faces.im trying to refrain my hair as much as possible so i dont end up breaking my neck,cause next thing you knw ima be swanging my hair too hard and ima end up hearing a "crickity-crack" noise:nono: :nono:

That we have in common, LMBO
But seriously, you can't be more than an inch or inch and a half off judging from the pics...

Bluetopia

That's funny because lots of people say Haitian women have nice, thick hair. Don't pay her any mind. Sak passe? :)

that chick is backwards....haitians have beautiful hair!

Yeah this is a weird story because most people tell me that I must have nice hair because I'm Haitian. We're known for thick tenacious hair. I'm too confused by this woman's comments to even be offended lol

When it comes to hair I almost want to omit the part that I'm Cuban too cause I feel like ppl will automatically use that as an excuse to negate all my hard work and all the time and money I've invested in nursing it back to health. Not to mention the fact that there are some folks who still dont understand what an Afro-latina even is! :look:

Last edited:

sweethair

Sak Pase!! Haiti reppin hard in this thread and Im loving it!! I get the same thing and Im not even light skinned. The reason why people say these ignorant things is because the media even before he earth quake would only show the poorest most destitute parts of Haiti and a lot of people there are darker. And you already know with our culture a lot of the lighter skinned Haitians are middle or upper class and the media never shows the beautiful towns, homes and beaches. One person even asked if Haiti had beaches?!?! I told her yes its an island with no beaches!! Such ignorance

I hate it when people say I dont look Haitian or look at my crazy when I say I am. We are like most ethnic groups we come in all colors, shapes and sizes.

Pray for Haiti

Last edited:

Carisa

Some people are just so tactless and rude! How do u argue with someone about thier ethnicity! smdh!

Carisa

And to add your hair is very beautiful! And cosigning that ur hair looks so close to waist-lenght

niqu92

Sak Pase!! Haiti reppin hard in this thread and Im loving it!! I get the same thing and Im not even light skinned. The reason why people say these ignorant things is because the media even before he earth quake would only show the poorest most destitute parts of Haiti and a lot of people there are darker. And you already know with our culture a lot of the lighter skinned Haitians are middle or upper class and the media never shows the beautiful towns, homes and beaches. One person even asked if Haiti had beaches?!?! I told her yes its an island with no beaches!! Such ignorance

I hate it when people say I dont look Haitian or look at my crazy when I say I am. We are like most ethnic groups we come in all colors, shapes and sizes.

Pray for Haiti

that is true, the media always shows the poor side of haiti -never the nice side. and its also true that most of the lighter skinned people are middle/upper class so as a result theyre never shown in the media since they only show the poor side.i also know that there are alot of middle-eastern[syrian&lebanese] haitians and theyre the ones who own all the buisnesses in Haiti just how alot of indians&chinese own businesses in Jamaica.as a matter of fact my grandfather is a Haitian of syrian descent .&yes Haiti has some beautiful beaches,my favorite one is Labadie.the last time i went they served me unlimited coconut and i had lambi and bannan with some pickles...oooph lol. last year before i left to go visit Haiti my ex who happens to be jamaican asked me if there are beaches in haiti.needless to say that relationship didnt last too long lol

i also love how all the Haitians are repping in this thread:grin::grin: and i know this is off topic but does anyone know where i can get some good Haitian food in the atlanta or metro-atlanta area?because im tired of seeing all these damn jamaican restaurants lol.

Haiti is always in my prayers 24/7

alive

LoL im sorry, OP but the way you described the scenario was so vivid, you had me cracking up over here. hahaha. I'm sure she'll come around eventually. there are too many women of color walking around with long hair these days for people to stay uninformed forever right?

thanks for the laugh. haha

SimJam

That's funny because lots of people say Haitian women have nice, thick hair. Don't pay her any mind. Sak passe? :)

exactly I can actually say with certainty that 98% of persons of Hatian decent that Ive met have nice thick hair. And just like Jamaicans, come in every shade of skin

petitmaui

Story of my life. Just the other day someone told me that "Your hair is too good for you to be a Haitian."
This is too funny. I was telling my husband (a white american) a similar story today. I'm also haitian and as long as i can remember people have always assumed that I was mixed with something since my hair isn't like a brilo pad. I used to have black girls pull my hair to check for tracks and try to jump me because they thought I was lying to them. It especially trips them out since I have dark skin.

Last edited:

Phaer

Dito, I always end up apologizing to people who knew me when I was younger for ruining my hair. They take the damage to my hair personally. It's always "ki sa ou fe avec belle cheveux noir ou te gaiyin?" and I am never able to give them a good enough answer. The flip side is that my mom is estatic that I decided to go natural.
exactly I can actually say with certainty that 98% of persons of Hatian decent that Ive met have nice thick hair. And just like Jamaicans, come in every shade of skin

Attachments

• pv8.jpg
    pv8.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 18

Fine 4s

You should have given her the dead face followed by one good MEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRDE!
Nosa...maybe just in your head :)
Lovely hair though...

Solitude

I'm confused....but I will say that most people probably don't have a clear concept of Haiti. I never saw many pictures of Haiti or Haitians in the news before the disaster, period. The first Haitian person I met (who I knew was of Haitian descent) was a professor....who actually was of mixed heritage, with a French surname...he was born and raised in Haiti, light complexion...Am I incorrect in thinking that many people of Haitian descent are mixed? I realize that he population is diverse, but, still....

Anyhow, I only became familiar with Haitian culture after I moved to DC and many of my classmates were Caribbean. I don't recall ever meeting a single Haitian or Jamaican person while growing up in Louisiana and Texas.

IDK, but when I'm home in Louisiana and I meet someone with light skin, long (wavy/curly) hair, from New Orleans, with a French surname I assume he or she is Creole, no questions asked...maybe I'm ignorant :ohwell:, but I don't see why it would be so surprising that someone would think you are mixed....annoying, but not surprising.

againstallodds

I'm only APL and I get this a lot. It's as if being Haitian makes it improbable that I would have longish hair. It makes me so angry! How the hell is a stranger questioning me about my ethnicity! What do I gain from lying.

I'm Haitian, take it or leave it!

Ok, i'm a little mad hahaah... going off to my corner to count to ten.

niqu92

You should have given her the dead face followed by one good MEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRDE!
Nosa...maybe just in your head :)
Lovely hair though...

:lachen::lachen::lachen: lmao!!!!!!

my dad does that all the time when he's upset he'll start off by saying "wooo foooooot" followed by a loud "MEEEERDE!!!!" lol:lol:

Lute

I'm Haitian as well. I never knew people thought like this. :( Its freaking anoying and I'm sorry you had to go through some type of stupidity like that.

I don't know how to spell it.. But my daddy says It sounds like your saying "Toe nair"

But he says EHH Foot alot..

My mother says .. Woy (i know this one has more letters in it)

Last edited: