10% to the church or to someone who's

phynestone

less fortunate? My friend and I were discussing this today. The church I attend (mega-church) is doing quite well for itself and I've been wondering whether if it's necessary for me to give my 10% to my church. Why can't I give it another church that's less fortunate or to someone who doesn't have much to their name?

divya

Tithing is returning to God what belongs to Him.

Leviticus 27:30
Deuteronomy 14:22-23
I Corinthians 9:13-14
Malachi 3:8
Malachi 3:10

If you would like to give to someone less fortunate, then you may certainly do that in addition to tithing. :yep:

monie20032007

Tithing is returning to God what belongs to Him.

Leviticus 27:30
Deuteronomy 14:22-23
I Corinthians 9:13-14
Malachi 3:8
Malachi 3:10

If you would like to give to someone less fortunate, then you may certainly do that in addition to tithing. :yep:

I totally agree. By tithing you are being obedient to God's word. 10% of your increase does belongs to him. It certainly doesn't have to stop at the church. You can always be a blessing to someone else, but don't disobey God by bypassing the fact that 10% is His. Plus when you are obedient He will give back to you so you can be a blessing to someone else :)

kandake

As mentioned, your tithe is unto God.

On another note, I would assume your church is doing things for the community and the less fortunate. So in the end your tithe and offering should be going to people who need it. I know this is the case for my church.

plainj

What does it mean that you are giving back to God what belongs to Him? I got into a discussion w/ my sister over this question. I think I know the answer but I couldn't get it across to her b/c she was so adamant about how she felt on the topic. She says you are not giving it to God, you are giving it to a church!! (her emphasis not mine). Her argument was that yes, a church needs their lights on and has to pay bills but Jesus preached in the streets. She is also upset that many churches don't tell believers that offering time and services is an offering too. Many churches preach only about giving money. What's your opinions on this?

divya

What does it mean that you are giving back to God what belongs to Him? I got into a discussion w/ my sister over this question. I think I know the answer but I couldn't get it across to her b/c she was so adamant about how she felt on the topic. She says you are not giving it to God, you are giving it to a church!! (her emphasis not mine). Her argument was that yes, a church needs their lights on and has to pay bills but Jesus preached in the streets. She is also upset that many churches don't tell believers that offering time and services is an offering too. Many churches preach only about giving money. What's your opinions on this?

The Word of God has the answer, as many verses address this subject. God is the source of all blessings - all good things come from him. He states that 10% belongs to Him, therefore that is what we owe Him. Further, people sometimes forget that our mission as Christians is to spread the gospel. God's churches are main vehicles by which this is done, sponsoring programs to spread the message of God. Yes, Jesus preached in the streets, but He was also in the synagogue every week. If your sister chooses to argue against the Scriptures, then that is her choice. But she should understand that she is not arguing against you, but against God Himself when she makes such statements.

As for churches that preach only about money, then do not be a member. Their focus is not on God, but on the love of money, which is the root of all evil.

HeChangedMyName

I totally agree. By tithing you are being obedient to God's word. 10% of your increase does belongs to him. It certainly doesn't have to stop at the church. You can always be a blessing to someone else, but don't disobey God by bypassing the fact that 10% is His. Plus when you are obedient He will give back to you so you can be a blessing to someone else :)

I agree totally.

Giving back to God is by putting your tithe into the house that he has placed you in, under the shepard he has assigned you to on this earth. Now, when you give purely from the heart and under obedience you are good. The church you tithe into has it's own way of handling monies that it receives and the church itself should be doing so according to God's Word and will so someone who is in need should eventually be helped by the monies in some way or another.

plainj

Thanks divya and supernova. This was my answer to her but I guess it didn't come across articulate enough for her to get it. And sometimes people just won't budge from what they want to think; from the mindset that they just want to have. :wallbash: She can be so wise about God but stiffnecked also comes to mind when I think of my sister.
BTW I learned a new thing too. Thanks ladies!

divya

Thanks divya and supernova. This was my answer to her but I guess it didn't come across articulate enough for her to get it. And sometimes people just won't budge from what they want to think; from the mindset that they just want to have. :wallbash: She can be so wise about God but stiffnecked also comes to mind when I think of my sister.
BTW I learned a new thing too. Thanks ladies!

Just pray for her. Sometimes we all battle with God, but hopefully in time her heart will be open to the Word on this matter. God bless.

discobiscuits

the tithe goes to your church home or the place where you are being fed the word. you can choose to give over and above the tithe to whomever you choose or to whom God leads. just b/c u r in a mega church (i am too) does not mean that tithes are not needed. tithes may be needed more so b/c a larger ministry means larger overhead and a larger outreach.

gn1g

the tithe goes to your church home or the place where you are being fed the word. you can choose to give over and above the tithe to whomever you choose or to whom God leads. just b/c u r in a mega church (i am too) does not mean that tithes are not needed. tithes may be needed more so b/c a larger ministry means larger overhead and a larger outreach.

ditto
giving to the poor or less fortunate is giving alms.

star

less fortunate? My friend and I were discussing this today. The church I attend (mega-church) is doing quite well for itself and I've been wondering whether if it's necessary for me to give my 10% to my church. Why can't I give it another church that's less fortunate or to someone who doesn't have much to their name?

Only do that if God leads. I have been lead from time to time to spread the wealth around the nation and also to help the needy but God lead me to this I did not do on my own.

Last edited:

justsimply

It is my belief that God has placed you in a church that has helped your growth in God. You give to that church that they may continue to do that for others. The Bible states to bring all the tithes into storehouse that there may be food in His house.

The Bible also speaks of offering. A tithe is the tenth that your bring into the storehouse and an offering is what you give above that. So I believe that you tithe where you're feed and give to any need you desire.