2 Week Club: The low manipulation challenge... anybody?

sareca

OH THE SHED HAIRS!! When I take my hair down to moisturize they are there...when I wash or cowash they are there. I am a veteran of long term braiding and I know about the shed hairs, but I'm used to seeing them after quite a few weeks of braids!

Anywho...I am on day 18 with no detangling. Still washing once a week, cowashing once a week. I don't know how long I will go. We shall see.
:grin:

:woohoo2: go madam, go madam, go... :happydance:

Proudpiscean

Wow 18 days!!! Go girl :clap:
I have made it 9 days so far without detangling we'll see how it goes.....I'm finding it difficult though because I'm over 5 months post relaxer now so my newgrowth is a JUNGLE :spinning:

sareca

I can tell my hair is stronger. This is my third detangling session and my hair feels greeeeeat! I think I am a lifer for this regimen, and I did the oil rinse and detanging was a pleasant suprise. It also grew fast. I am two inches from my brastrap stretched. Special thanks to LHCF,Syver 2,Lonei, and Sareca. You ladies know how to grow some hair!lol:yep:

Ok, so maybe I'm not making up the stronger part. *whew*

I'm glad the oil rinsed worked for you. Without them I don't think I could hang with this.

You're set to make BSL this year! :yahoo:

sareca

Wow 18 days!!! Go girl :clap:
I have made it 9 days so far without detangling we'll see how it goes.....I'm finding it difficult though because I'm over 5 months post relaxer now so my newgrowth is a JUNGLE :spinning:

You're free to switch to the 1 week club if your hair is pitching a fit right now. :yep:

MonaRae

I'm in my 3rd week without combing my hair. I'm about 12 weeks post so it too hard to deal with now making it easy for me to do this challenge.

Dee_33

Live, Laugh, Love
I finally did a decent looking french braid so I'm hoping to finish out the week with it. I think I can do this 2 week low manip. challenge. Sareca what's your hair type? It's lovely btw.

sareca

I would like to join this, if it's not too late?
I've been detangling once, sometimes twice a week, and my hair has not been loving that. I've tried to go longer than a week, but for some reason, it seems like I can't.
I'll try and start off w/ a week and half of no detangling. I wear puffs/wng's most of the time, so I don't need a comb for styling, and I can easily achieve a puff w/ no brush.
I think that is it.

:wave: Hi Minny. I would have sworn I already wrote this, but I can't find it. :confused:

Anyway, :welcome: It's not too late. :nono:
Minny said:
Also, I will try this way of detangling, since I've never really had a method. Sad as that sounds.
I think a lot of folks hadn't heard of it. Try it out. You might be surprised. :yep:

Last edited:

sareca

I'm in my 3rd week without combing my hair. I'm about 12 weeks post so it too hard to deal with now making it easy for me to do this challenge.

Dang! Ya'll serious. :armyhat: :bouncy:

You guys are inspiring me to try for 3 weeks. :eek: Not this time around this time tho. :nervous2: I'm going for 2 weeks again. I still can't believe I've only detangled my hair once this month!

sareca

I finally did a decent looking french braid so I'm hoping to finish out the week with it. I think I can do this 2 week low manip. challenge. Sareca what's your hair type? It's lovely btw.

French braids do take a little practice, but they're well worth the effort. :yep:

Thanks. My hair is 4a, but it's texturized.

Dee_33

Live, Laugh, Love
French braids do take a little practice, but they're well worth the effort. :yep:

Thanks. My hair is 4a, but it's texturized.

Texturized you say...don't want to hijack your thread but could you PM me basic instructions on how you texturize your hair?

Thanks

Aveena

I'm late ... but I'm in! :yep:

I've been contemplating this low/no manipulation for a while but never figured out how to do it.

I will flexirod my hair once week (to start)
wash once a week and re-flexirod (my wash and go's are not cute)
I will slowly work to increase the time between wash and sets.

sareca

I'm late ... but I'm in! :yep:

I've been contemplating this low/no manipulation for a while but never figured out how to do it.

I will flexirod my hair once week (to start)
wash once a week and re-flexirod (my wash and go's are not cute)
I will slowly work to increase the time between wash and sets.

Sounds like a plan, Welcome aboard :bounceline:

NessaNessa

I have gone three days without detangling my hair. I have a fresh perm so that makes it easier :lol:

I have a question though. When I wash my hair, am I allowed to detangle then? Or does this set me back to day 1 every time I wash and detangle? TIA!!:grin:

ETA: Reading is fundamental. I found the answer on the first page. Count me in. After the gym tonite, I am washing and will see how it works for me without detangling. Should be easy since I have a fresh perm :grin:

Last edited:

sareca

I have gone three days without detangling my hair. I have a fresh perm so that makes it easier :lol:

I have a question though. When I wash my hair, am I allowed to detangle then? Or does this set me back to day 1 every time I wash and detangle? TIA!!:grin:

If you detangle you start over from day 1. :sad: You can gently separate your hair to apply conditoner and poo etc. but try not to run your fingers from your scalp to the ends of your hair until d-day (detangling day). :yep:

sareca

ETA: Reading is fundamental. I found the answer on the first page. Count me in. After the gym tonite, I am washing and will see how it works for me without detangling. Should be easy since I have a fresh perm :grin:

I remember those campaigns from grade school:lachen::lachen: I'll put you down.

KhandiB

I went two days.. I braided my hair last night for a braid out that I finger combed out this morning :)

sareca

I'm on day 4 of 14 and it's been nothin' but smooth sailing. It gets easier and easier every time.

Tonight, I tried jojoba oil for the oil rinse. Tiffcurl recommended jojoba oil or rose oil. Anyway, I was amazed again and I thought it couldn't get any better. How wrong I was...

I actually mixed jojoba and meadowfoam oil went on and rinsed off so nicely. It hasn't dried yet, but I'm expecting good things. :yep: If you had oil rinses come out too greasy try jojoba oil.

Anyway, I'm gonna put my hair in a single french braid and leave it all weekend. I want the weekends to be pretty much no manipulation at all.

Last edited:

Candy_C

I have miserably failed after just 7 days :nono:

i blow dried my hair out with my ionic blow dryer last week, as i wanted to see my hair in pigtails (i haven't worn pigtails for YEARS) WOOOOO i love it, its my new style when i use heat now!! everybody was amazed and asking me if it was my real hair.

I've got hair mayo on my dry hair right now, as a pre-poo protein treat(mild) which is what i do usually 3 weeks before my relaxer, and then the avocado one a week b4.

I've been taking all my vitamins like a good girl though!#

no more heat for 4 weeks!!!

I'm starting this challenge again from today

sareca

I have miserably failed after just 7 days :nono:
i blow dried my hair out with my ionic blow dryer last week, as i wanted to see my hair in pigtails (i haven't worn pigtails for YEARS) WOOOOO i love it, its my new style when i use heat now!! everybody was amazed and asking me if it was my real hair.
I've got hair mayo on my dry hair right now, as a pre-poo protein treat(mild) which is what i do usually 3 weeks before my relaxer, and then the avocado one a week b4.
I've been taking all my vitamins like a good girl though!#
no more heat for 4 weeks!!!
I'm starting this challenge again from today

It's always nice to take some time to appreciate your progress and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Now get back on that horse! :charge:

Tamrin

unapologetic
I'm in. Im 12 weeks 12 post relaxer officially today and I have cut down the shedding by doing what this challenge is about. I do not comb at all and I detangle under the shower w/ my fingers. I put it in a bun squeeze out the water. When I'm out the shower I pat it down to remove excess water and use some Avocado/Mango/red palm butter whip. a little coconut oil. Im good to go.

My two weeks are up. Im going for another 2 weeks.. im loving this.

camosil

I usually wash my hair every three days and my hair seems to love it but I also want to try this challenge. Can I get some tips as to how this works without combing for a week. I am a student so this should work well for me.

Thanks.

sareca

I usually wash my hair every three days and my hair seems to love it but I also want to try this challenge. Can I get some tips as to how this works without combing for a week. I am a student so this should work well for me.

Thanks.

I'm 4 days into my second 2 week stretch and the oil rinses are a must for me. I only shampoo my hair once a week. I cowash/oil rinse 3X each week. I wear either a wng or a french braid. I have some of the details in my album. http://public.fotki.com/Serica/hair-to-stay/my-second-year-1/september-october-2007/2-week-club!/
the pw is sareca.

The whole idea is to reduce the amount of wear and tear you put on your hair. That means treating it like fine imported silk.

Last edited:

ladytq

Sareca I made my 2 weeks!!!!

I detangled today. I still did not use a comb, instead I took my time and pulled my hair apart gently from top 2 bottom. I'm in for another 2 weeks!!!!

NAKISH66

If it's not to late I would love to join. I just completed a full week with no manipulation. I washed and detangled today and it was great! I'm 9 weeks post relaxer. I'm going for 2 weeks now. Wish me luck :grin:!!

Proudpiscean

You're free to switch to the 1 week club if your hair is pitching a fit right now. :yep:

I've made it! :clap:
Today is day fourteen and wash day!!! I'll be detangling (very gently today) and trying the oil rinse again (this time I'll try jojoba oil). I'll report back tonight with results.
I think I'll stick with the 2 week club, I really don't want to manipulate my newgrowth that often, just asking for trouble IMO :nono:
You rock Sareca! My hair is thanking you for putting me on to henna and I believe the low/no manipulation is gonna be a keeper too :notworthy

I think the oil rinses aren't working so well right now because I have soo much newgrowth. I bet if I had freshly relaxed/texlaxed hair it would be a lot better! I'm not giving up on it.