2011 APL Challenge

Alright ladies....here are the pics I promised a couple of weeks ago lol.

My stubborn underarm back-fat is throwing off the APL line (ya'll know what I'm talking about...:look:....:lachen:), but bump it. Ima go ahead and claim GRAZING APL!

IMG_20110704_220712-1-1.jpg

Next Stop: Full APL - September 2011

bride91501 your are such an inspiration, your hair retention is amazing!! keep up the good work! Kimay tube should watch out!:yep:

Last edited:
^^awwww thanks for the compliment g.lo!

I'm really not trying to think too hard about it, just trying to stay focused on my regimen until the end of the year. THEN maybe I'll let myself peak around the corner at waist-length :curtain: :look: :grin:

Congrats @bride91501!

@faithVA
your hair looks so nice! i wish i could get the hang of kinky twists.

Thanks shortdub78. I am still practicing. It hasn't been easy. I had completed my entire head before I started to catch on to how to start the twists. So next time, I hope to do a better job. These are sort of loose so I may be doing another install sooner than I expected. :ohwell:

CHECKING IN!!

OKAY!! So…on Monday night, I was lurking LHCF and ran across the Sulfur challenge. And BAMM!! recollection of my wanting to CONSISTENTLY incorporate sulfur into my mix rush over me. I’ve used it in the past and LOVED the way it made my scalp feel BUT!!! I hate the smell (sensitive nose??) and so does my s/o (poor baby). What to do…what to DO??? As I read more, I saw that some ladies use sulfur, but wash out in the morn. Lightbulb---I figured; why not add the sulfur to my hair the night before a wash day!! Problem solved for all = ) While I’m not using it (sulfur) every day or even every other day, I AM using it and for the in-between (wash) times, I can resort to using the spray (and baggy overnight), which (the spray)doesn’t smell that bad at all. I’m hoping, this will benefit my hair in some way….but time will tell.

On to the story--- That same night, I applied the Sulfur 8 grease (in the jar) to my scalp, massaged (my scalp) for about 5 to 10 minutes and baggied overnight. Tuesday morning I was able to let it marinate in my braids all day until I washed it that afternoon. I co-washed with VO5 Tea Therapy (love this stuff!!) mixed with a little VO5 Moisture Milk- Strawberries and Cream (repeated twice). I then applied the SO Sexy Healthy & Hydrated Moisture Mask and let it sit on my braids for about 5 to 10 minutes. Rinsed and applied the So Sexy Healthy & Hydrated Conditioner and rinsed. MINI REVIEW:: I’m a little indifferent to the SO Sexy products---while I feel they smell great and work well with my hair, I can’t say that they do anything spectacular. BUT after the Sulfur 8, I HAD to have me some hair smell good….as I said that stuff REEKS!!

Once my braids were air dried about 85-95%, I moisturized and sealed using Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 followed by and a mixture of Olive, Almond, and Castor oil (giving the coconut oil a rest for a while). I typically pay close attention to where I know the ends of MY actual hair stop in the braid when doing this--- ESPECIALLY after a wash.

Long story short, I was able to use the sulfur, I washed my braids, and all is well in the smell department.

~S~

Disclaimer: I'm also in the HYH Challenge, so you might see double posts from me. I will try to help this where possible, but sometimes the information I want to share is relevant to both challenges. Hope this is okay.

Update: I've been in mini twist since last week and I am planning on keeping them in 2 to 3 weeks at a time. I was able to wash and DC successfully with the mini twist. I'm about to go hard in the paint with protective styling so that I can achieve full APL this year :yep:. I really need to step up my moisture game because I'm noticing more single strand knots lately and I've been cutting them which is probably setting me back a little. The good news is I'm only 1/2 inch away from APL in the nape area :grin:.

i'm glad i am using products that are able to keep my hair moisturized without having to reapply daily or even 2x daily. my hair is doing fine wearing it out. protective styles just don't cut it for me. my hair doesn't mine micro braids or cornrows though. (no hair added) right now i am planning my winter reggie. i am going to stock up on products, scarves, and hats. i feel i am at APL now, but i won't claim it for awhile. on this site you have to be close to BSL to claim apl. lol

Well my mini update is this...

My hair is doing well. I will need to wait until the colder months to do an actual length check because my hair appears to be the same length in my last three length check pictures. :ohwell:

What is interesting is that for now, my hair appears to be thickening up (and growing more width wise than lengthwise). Is anyone else experiencing this?

I will need more time to reach APL at this rate. But I am still plugging away.

Update:
My hair is in a sew-in. I will be keeping it in a sew-in for 2 or 2 1/2 months. I will be co-washing my hair underneath every week or ever 2 weeks. (diluted conditioner and putting it in a spray bottle.)When it get to the 3rd or 4th week I will shampoo and deep condition. I will spray a leave-in in my hair and add my growth concoction to my scalp.

Still doing the same ol plaits under the half wig. Super boring. Seems like I've been having more shedding that usual, not sure whats up with that. I've been slacking a little on moisturizing and oiling my scalp since I relocated but I'm going to get back on track asap and hopefully will see some progress come Sept 24. Already made my appointment for a flat iron and trim, hoping to be at least grazing APL by then.

i (semi) straightened my hair today out of the blue...i didnt take proper length check pics but my hair is longer than i thought...i need about 2 inches cut off due to the Tangle Teezer which i plan to cut gradually by the end of the year, but i still might make APL *crosses fingers*

I thought I was going to be able to do a length check except when I flat ironed last week, my hair puffed up faster than I could capture the (full) length on camera. I know I am not at APL yet but I can't tell ya how much further I need to go either.

The pics I did take make my hair look approximately the same length as back in March. :-(

i (semi) straightened my hair today out of the blue...i didnt take proper length check pics but my hair is longer than i thought...i need about 2 inches cut off due to the Tangle Teezer which i plan to cut gradually by the end of the year, but i still might make APL *crosses fingers*

Iri9109 the thickness of your hair is :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

I would like to be an unofficial mid-year member. I am currently a little beyond CBL and hoping to be full APL by the end of the year. I have a very simple reggie. I wash with ACV and DC once a week and generally wear twist outs, puffs or buns. I am horrible about protective styling because I just love wearing my hair "out". However, I may get twist towards the end of the summer when the humidity is at its worse here in GA.

I haven't taken any length check pics in a while but when I take some I will have to come back and post them.

I did a length check this weekend and here is my pic. I did not expect my hair to be this long it looks as though I am grazing APL, :grin: Let me know what you think ladies.

http://hotimg23.fotki.com/p/a/24_126/225_251/DSCF7248-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Uniqzoe
you are there lady! Congrats!

nothing much going on here. well the front of my hair is touching my lips now, so i guess that's a good thing? Yep i am going to give myself til the end of Aug to see where i am officially.

i hope everyone is doing ok.

I took off about 1/2 inch to 1 inch today. My ends feel better. I think I may still have an inch or 2 of colored ends that need to go but I will wait 8 weeks to see if I need to trim any more. I decided I would rather take off more now than waiting until I reach APL and then having to take too much off.

So back to hiding my hair so I can take my mind off of whether its growing or not.

My hair won't grow (I know the proper way is, I'm not retaining any length) but I'm so frustrated with my hair, I don't even come into the hair challenges anymore. I've been SL since LAST YEAR JUNE and the same ONE YEAR LATER. I give up. I have to accept the fact that my hair will never be long again and learn to love it the way it is.

My hair won't grow (I know the proper way is, I'm not retaining any length) but I'm so frustrated with my hair, I don't even come into the hair challenges anymore. I've been SL since LAST YEAR JUNE and the same ONE YEAR LATER. I give up. I have to accept the fact that my hair will never be long again and learn to love it the way it is.

BLASPHEMY!!!!

I'm really liking this Mixed Silk leave in tho! I know not a lot of ppl like it...but for the mood i've been in lately I like that I don't have to layer a gel over a leave in and put a finisher on top.

With this I just rake/smooth it thru with my hands after washing and wear it in a WnG puff. Now if I want to wear my hair in a "down" wash n go I pull out the EcoStyler and my leave in and style finisher...which also gives me 3 day hair...but not as soft.

Ok, so maybe I've been trippin' for nothing.... I just posted in another thread that I feel like my hair is at a stand still. I've been sooo tempted to straighten before December, but I decided to get DH involved to do a pull test instead.

Just to ease my nerves a bit...:lol:

So here's my mini update pics.

I do have to say that DH did a good job for his first time, eyy ?? :lachen:

Ok, so maybe I've been trippin' for nothing.... I just posted in another thread that I feel like my hair is at a stand still. I've been sooo tempted to straighten before December, but I decided to get DH involved to do a pull test instead.

Just to ease my nerves a bit...:lol:

So here's my mini update pics.

I do have to say that DH did a good job for his first time, eyy ?? :lachen:

Yes he did an excellent job! Great job to you on your progress. I too am trying to hold out until the Winter b4 I straighten. You can do it!

Back