2011 APL Challenge

My hair won't grow (I know the proper way is, I'm not retaining any length) but I'm so frustrated with my hair, I don't even come into the hair challenges anymore. I've been SL since LAST YEAR JUNE and the same ONE YEAR LATER. I give up. I have to accept the fact that my hair will never be long again and learn to love it the way it is.

sj10460
what is your reggie? we are here to help. this is not a race to see who can get there the fastest. getting to APL is a big hurdle. tell us what is going on and we will help you. APL is a challenge, not challenging you to get to APL.

CHECKING IN!!

So...I decided to keep my braids past the two month mark (originally installed May 21st)---I washed, deep conditioned, and rebraided the front section, side edges, and nape last Thursday (July 14th).

My plans are to keep another 3 weeks...take them out and do a really good wash, deep condition and protein treatment. Then redo into a sew-in and small braids (in the front) for an upcoming trip.

We shall see cause I am really loving the EASE of my braids right now. I have confirmed that I have grown an inch since May!! YAY!!!

~S~

things are going good so far. i'm still working out a product/style reggie that will carry me on for the winter. i still won't be revealing anything until Sept, after i had my trim.

I'm inching my way to APL SLOWLY but surely.

At least I'm pretty sure I'll be there by the end of the year since I have a couple of inches to go. <-----notice the wishful and positive thinking :yep:

One thing I can say that's good about this heatwave is that it's keeping me from putting extra heat in my hair. Since there's no use flat-ironing when it will be a frizzball by the time you get where you're going anyway.

I haven't been keeping up on my sulfur on the scalp and if I had I probably would be there by now. Oh well. :ohwell: But I'm still taking my MSM.

Hope you all have a great day. :wave:

I've gone back to using sulfur regularly and I will finish out this bottle of Noixin follicle booster then switch back to my MT mix (which I think worked better anyway).

I know I'm all late but I just had to join. I haven't been able to grow my hair back to APL for the past 4-5 years :perplexed. . .

1-Current length: CBL,transitioning.

2-Current Reggie-
-Shampoo 1x per week (still trying to find a good shampoo)
-DC 1x per week w/ LeKair Cholesterol Plus Conditioner (still need a good moisturizing DC that doesn't contain mineral oil)
-Cowash w/ Suave Almond & Shea Butter Conditioner or Tresemme Naturals conditioners
-Leave in Conditioner: Giovanni DLI + water mix or KCKT
-Moisturize w/ plain water & seal or use ORS Olive Oil Moisturizer
-Seal w/ Shea Butter, Grapeseed Oil, or Jojoba OIl-Protective Styles during the week, wash & go on the weekends
-Styling Products are Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel, KCCC
-Styles are braidouts, bantu knot outs, two strand twists, curlformer sets, & dominican blowouts

3- Other Challenges I've Joined-
-Weight Loss/Hair Growth pt. 2

My hair is in twists right now but I'll try to post a pic soon.

I haven't updated here at all, really - but it's been great seeing those of you who made it to APL already. I am making progress - my hair feels good and seems to be retaining most of it's length. I am below collar bone now, but a bit uneven as I'm not really cutting just S&D's. It's not a brilliant picture - it was late and I didn't intend to share this picture. I think I'm about 2" away from being able to claim - I really hope I make it by Dec goal.

picture.php

Last edited:
I'm just ready to bun already. I feel like once I can bun, at least my styling woes will be over (I am very style challenged).

Twists seem to wreak havoc on my ends and I have yet to achieve a decent twist out.

Right now, my hair is parted down the middle with two mini buns on each side with bangs out. I just don't want to put too much tension on my hairline by pulling on the front to get it into the pony holder.

This seems to be working as a PS for now. I'm trying to figure out a regi for Fall/Winter that doesn't involve wigs. But I may cave in eventually, we'll see.

I'm just ready to bun already. I feel like once I can bun, at least my styling woes will be over (I am very style challenged).

I'm with you Chiquitita. A bun seems like such a big prize. I don't even know if I will be able to do a bun but I am thinking it would at least add an option to an emergency style. Right now all of my styling options seem to take hours.

My latest length check. Flat ironing and trimming in Sept. I think I'm on track to make it in December. I am going to act a straight up fool when I finally make it; will be longest my hair or anyone's hair in my family has ever been.

Attachments

• july nape.jpg
    july nape.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 68
  • july left side.jpg
    july left side.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 71
Yes indeed. A bun is definitely a prize. And to think, I used to take it for granted back in my relaxed days.

Imani Very nice progress... Looks like you'll make it before December !!

I hope I can claim it by December but the back of my head is growing in so slowly that its scaring me a little bit.

Imani

Your progress is great :grin:- I'm sure we graduated from SL at about the same time? You look like you will defo make it for December - your nape is doing fantastically - my nape is the shortest part of my hair, ironically - not sure why - any tips for a sister? Mine isn't dry or anything, it just doesn't seem to grow quite as fast as the front and sides - the same can be said of the middle section of my hair :blush::perplexed

My latest length check. Flat ironing and trimming in Sept. I think I'm on track to make it in December. I am going to act a straight up fool when I finally make it; will be longest my hair or anyone's hair in my family has ever been.

Imani

Your progress is great :grin:- I'm sure we graduated from SL at about the same time? You look like you will defo make it for December - your nape is doing fantastically - my nape is the shortest part of my hair, ironically - not sure why - any tips for a sister? Mine isn't dry or anything, it just doesn't seem to grow quite as fast as the front and sides - the same can be said of the middle section of my hair :blush::perplexed

ebsalita Actually my nape is weird, it grows FASTER than the rest of my hair, always has. Its a looser, silkier texture than the rest of my hair and I always end up with a tail bc it grows so fast. Thats why I'm not going to let myself get too excited and ahead of myself bc I know some of that hair is going to get cut off to blend w/the rest of my hair when I get it trimmed in September.

I have a small section in the middle of my head above my nape that I've always had problems growing, the texture is really tight and really thin and the scalp very irritable. When I was relaxed it was awful, sometimes it would snap off to about 1 inch of hair, and I would have a big gaping hole in the back of my head, with my long nape hanging down below it looking a hot-mullet mess:nono:

What I did to help that section out was really just the basics:
-went natural so no more chemicals
-minimize heat
-protective styling
-massaging sulfur on my scalp in that area
-keeping it moisturized and oiled
-biotin,multivits, and eating enough protein

Length check in 2 weeks. I am sooo excited I think I have alot of new growth. I have co-washes my hair to keep the ng manageable. My touch up is very well needed.

Hey ladies! I haven't checked in in a while. I'm still wigging it like a fool in this heat. At this point, I am hating wigs....next week (Friday) I plan on getting my hair braided. Surprisingly, I think that I'm going to braid my hair until the end of the year. Hopefully, I'll be graduating with you all in December. I haven't done any length checks per se, as I am not using heat on my hair at all this year, but I have been taking pictures of my fro as it gets bigger!!! I want to be pleasently surprised in December!

Grow ladies GROW!! :weird::weird:

I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines! I didn't join the challenge for this year cause I really don't see me making APL by December, but hey, there's always next year right?! :yep:

Imani Call me crazy for this, but all this time I thought your hair was relaxed! :lachen:
In your avatar and your siggy, your hair always looks so sleek and shiny! I have no idea how you accomplish that! I can never get my hair to look like that!

Grow ladies GROW!! :weird::weird:

I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines! I didn't join the challenge for this year cause I really don't see me making APL by December, but hey, there's always next year right?! :yep:

Imani Call me crazy for this, but all this time I thought your hair was relaxed! :lachen:
In your avatar and your siggy, your hair always looks so sleek and shiny! I have no idea how you accomplish that! I can never get my hair to look like that!

Sianna Lol, nope, did a long term transition, I never BC'd. I wore my hair straight like 100% of the time throughout most of my transition before I realized I was probably never going to reach my goals using heat that much. Then started wearing wigs 100% of the time. So I don't have very many pics of my hair in its natural state.

I don't accomplish anything, lol. I pay some very skilled stylists. :lol: That is one of my goals for the year however, to learn how to flat iron my own hair.

Thank you Imani- I really appreciate your kindness in sharing with me. I know what you mean about texture making a difference to growth rate - I have a silkier texture right at the front, which seems to grow better. I am doing the no relaxer, sealing etc, however I do blowdry and flatiron my hair weekly as I choose to wear it straight - it's been great for combating SSK's and I prefer the styles. I think there are a number of things you've suggested which I could do:

1. I have been researching the sulphur you mentioned below - I was reluctant to try it before as I remember using sulfur8 on my hair as a teenager - it smelled and didn't help the dry scalp I was supposed to be treating, lol! I'm thinking of using it with grapeseed oil like Njoy did. No harm in giving it a whirl, right?

2. I will baby the nape hair a bit more too. Also, thinking about it, sometimes, the nape gets a bit matted when I take my hair down in the house because it takes up moisture from my skin, I need to keep it up off my neck - I will also flat iron it on a lower heat than the rest of my hair.

3. At the moment I am using Fantasia ic carrot oil moisturiser and then sealing it with hot 6 oil, which is working well, but I could do better by using something without mineral oil - things like blue magic, dax heavy mineral oils have never been my hair's friend.

Thanks again!
ebsalita Actually my nape is weird, it grows FASTER than the rest of my hair, always has. Its a looser, silkier texture than the rest of my hair and I always end up with a tail bc it grows so fast. Thats why I'm not going to let myself get too excited and ahead of myself bc I know some of that hair is going to get cut off to blend w/the rest of my hair when I get it trimmed in September.

I have a small section in the middle of my head above my nape that I've always had problems growing, the texture is really tight and really thin and the scalp very irritable. When I was relaxed it was awful, sometimes it would snap off to about 1 inch of hair, and I would have a big gaping hole in the back of my head, with my long nape hanging down below it looking a hot-mullet mess:nono:

What I did to help that section out was really just the basics:
-went natural so no more chemicals
-minimize heat
-protective styling
-massaging sulfur on my scalp in that area
-keeping it moisturized and oiled
-biotin,multivits, and eating enough protein

I'm about an 1-2in away from APL. I hope to get there by October.

0f910cfca936__1308602030000-vi.jpg

It has been acting a bit unruly. I hope a nice DC will calm it down.

ETA: this picture was taken June 3, 2011

Last edited:
I'm In!!! I hope to be FULL APL when I relax in Novemenber (I stretch six months, so I will not know until then). My starting pic:
DSCN0453.jpg

I'm in as well!
Current length: SL
Hair Type: Natural
Reggie: Work in progress but it includes no/low heat, minimal manipulation, henna, and daily protein shakes
Pictures: See signature

I got a relaxer on Thursday, I just couldn't handle my ng. This picture was taken today

IMAG00391-vi.jpg

Last edited:
You ladies are doing well,congratulations to those who have made APL. I haven't posted ina long time because I was braided up. I'm currently taking them out and will do an update shortly

still hanging in there. will do an official length check next month before and after i trim. i am going back to cowashing. i miss washing my hair often. i don't really dig this once a week or every few days stuff.

Last month I wore extensions (kinky twists, box braids). Last night I put my hair in micro two strand twists. Let's see if I can rock this style for month. I'll take 3 weeks. If I can then I will wear this style for the rest of the summer. k

I'm still doing a lot of trimming to my ends so not retaining much. But don't plan on trimming again until September and then right before I straighten in December.

Hey ladies :wave: haven't checked in here in a while. I'm about 1.5" friom APL. I've been keeping my hair bunned in 2-strand twist for the past month and it has been a pretty simple reggie. I will keep this as my PS for the remainder of the year and hopefully I'm grazing BSL :crossfingers:

Back