2013 Relaxed Hair Buddy Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I don't think your in a rut. I'm in the same position. I have finally found products I can stick to for a while and now that I'm only using those set products, its like rinse and repeat. The only thing that saves me is that while I do the same routine, I try to switch up the products I use.

I have 2 different shampoos, 5 different teas for rinsing ad 3 different DC's which differ base on styling and needs. That way, even though I follow the same routine, I can at least use different products and still feel like the junkie without the high or empty pockets.

I hope this patience leads me to MBL in July.

Please excuse my iPhone; it's trying to get it together

Rinse and repeat is a perfect example of what I'm feeling about my hair. I bought Sally's GVP Paul Mitchell The Conditioner and Matrix Conditioning Balm so maybe that'll bring some kind of excitement to my regimen.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I'm sorry that you're feeling this way. Keep doing what you're doing. Patience and consistency is key. I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised at the end of the year. Btw, did you start taking chlorella?

xu93texas I hope you're right!! I did start on the Chlorella, even went green. However...I must have detoxed too fast because I got sick and vomited all day. I promised God that if he heal me and keep my face out the toilet that I would never touch the stuff again. I kept my promise. I'm pissed because I had it with my daily green smoothie and now I can't drink them because the taste is associated with how bad I felt. Hopefully I'll be able to drink them again.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
That looks most beautimus! I'm going to try that this weekend. I'm gonna need so serious dry time.

UPDATE:
Got all froggy and tried Bantu knots on slightly damp hair. EPIC FAILURE! I knew going in that my highly porous strands would never dry wrapped around anything, let alone wrapped around its own damp self, without some major intervention from a heated appliance but I lost control of my brain and tried it-H.A.M. doesn't begin to describe what it looked like. I ended up rinsing my hair in the shower and doing a side plait just so I could go to work. Going back to my twist outs.

Don't give up on it, try it on the weekend. I promise you that Roux Porosity Control Shampoo and Conditioner cured my highly porous hair. Before, when doing the porosity test, my strands would sink all the way down to the bottom of the glass, now they sit on top of the water. It's worth a try and I swear by it.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Hey buddies xu93texas KiWiStyle shortdub78 yoli184 Altruisticoam

I was sworn to only do dustings but as you know, I've been struggling lately with some evil, raggedy, paper-thin, jacked up ends and I broke down on Saturday. After a protein intervention with some Nexxus Emergencee followed by a moisture intervention with Humectress, I blow dried and flat ironed and headed straight to MasterCuts. Lost almost two inches but I'm all the happier for it. My hair looks 100% better.

You won't regret it for a second! I did the same last fall and I don't miss those thin, see thru ends, I still have about an inch to cut but oh we'll.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Hey buddies xu93texas KiWiStyle shortdub78 yoli184 Cattypus1

How's it going? Today was wash day and I just did the same routine as last week except I plan on bunning after I air dry.

Currently I'm 6 weeks post with lots of new growth. How long is everyone stretching this go round?

I'll be 4 weeks post tomorrow and plan to relax around July 10th at 12 weeks post. My fine strands can't handle any longer than that, I've tried it, I've learned from it.

Evolving78

I'll be 4 weeks post tomorrow and plan to relax around July 10th at 12 weeks post. My fine strands can't handle any longer than that, I've tried it, I've learned from it.

i have gum in my hair and i am two weeks post. my hair was doing fine before all of this. i have tried a lot of different things to get that crap out and now my damn head is itching.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Don't give up on it, try it on the weekend. I promise you that Roux Porosity Control Shampoo and Conditioner cured my highly porous hair. Before, when doing the porosity test, my strands would sink all the way down to the bottom of the glass, now they sit on top of the water. It's worth a try and I swear by it.

Don't have the shampoo but I swear by the condish. I think my hair will need to be 90%+ dry before I can get a decent set out of it. Need to try some of that poo.

naija24

@naija24 I do not believe that to be true. However if you relax too often it could weaken your ends and cause breakage which would hinder your ability to get to APL. Also if you use heat without proper protection and too often that will also prevent you from retaiting your ends. Being relaxed, I do not believe, hinders growth. You just have to be careful about retention.

Nix08 yeah, my issue has always been retention. So glad I started my new HHJ with LHCF this time! I plan on relaxing every 3-4 months. Once I reach neck length I hope to start using some PS. I've never reached APL so now I'm kind of curious if it can be done!

But yeah, I've been hearing from a lot of people about how terrible relaxers are for hair growth and retention. Maybe I can consider heat training once my hair is long enough? I don't know.

Evolving78

xu93texas KiWiStyle yoli184 Cattypus1

sorry to get back, i didn't get my mention KiwiStyle. for detangling, i used my fingers first. when my hair was about 85% dry, i used my seamless jumbo rake comb. it took my an hour to get gentle, but i was able to get through my hair without causing any breakage. since i am shedding now, i have to use a comb.

oh and i did cut those two pieces out. i feel relieved and ready to move forward. i do have some hair covering those spots. i just won't wear my hair down for a very long time. maybe by the end of the year or beginning.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Nix08 yeah, my issue has always been retention. So glad I started my new HHJ with LHCF this time! I plan on relaxing every 3-4 months. Once I reach neck length I hope to start using some PS. I've never reached APL so now I'm kind of curious if it can be done!

But yeah, I've been hearing from a lot of people about how terrible relaxers are for hair growth and retention. Maybe I can consider heat training once my hair is long enough? I don't know.

Relaxers are no joke, that's for sure! the chems can damage skin as well as hair. The combination of the right regi, right products and careful styling makes all the difference for retention. If you have hair on your head then it's growing, maybe not as fast as you like but it is growing. Protection is the key. I was clueless about runoff from rinsing my relaxer but I've learned from the ladies here on LHCF how to protect my already relaxed hair during my touch ups among other things. Ive been chemically processed since I was a little girl-there was a brief stint with a curl--yes i said curl! I thought my hair wouldn't grow. I just got a trim on Saturday back to APL to get rid of some PRE-LHCF ends. Good luck on your HHJ.

Cattypus1

All loced up...

sorry to get back, i didn't get my mention KiwiStyle. for detangling, i used my fingers first. when my hair was about 85% dry, i used my seamless jumbo rake comb. it took my an hour to get gentle, but i was able to get through my hair without causing any breakage. since i am shedding now, i have to use a comb.

oh and i did cut those two pieces out. i feel relieved and ready to move forward. i do have some hair covering those spots. i just won't wear my hair down for a very long time. maybe by the end of the year or beginning.

Sounds like the worse is over. Keep the faith, lady. Your hair will recover in no time.

GrowAHead

GrowAHead and Hairroots, I am planning to do a hard protein treatment this weekend with a good moisturizing DC to prepare for my touch-up the following week on the 24th. I will be leaving for Disney on Friday the 25th so I thought about waiting another week until I return but I have seen some breakage so I want to relax sooner than later. I am looking forward to relaxing these roots.

that weekend has been sticking in my head as a touch up week also.... hmmm Have fun at Disney!

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Awe, thanks Altruisticoam!! I'm really working on getting back to my normal self. I think maybe I'm just bored OR just cold weather keeping me in a funk. Now that its getting warmer finally, maybe I need to get out of my protective styles a few days out of the week. I did a braidout today and I guess it came out ok, I put the sides up because I had the gaps caused by parts. That was a learning experience.

I'll try to check in more often to see how my buddies are doing ;-)).

Too darned cute, girl! Is that a twist out?

xu93texas

Hey buddies @xu93texas @KiWiStyle @shortdub78 @yoli184 @Cattypus1

How's it going? Today was wash day and I just did the same routine as last week except I plan on bunning after I air dry.

Currently I'm 6 weeks post with lots of new growth. How long is everyone stretching this go round?

Ooh, I'm not even one week post. I'll be doing my post relaxer wash tomorrow night. I'm going to be relaxing in August, not sure when. How long are you stretching this time?

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Don't have the shampoo but I swear by the condish. I think my hair will need to be 90%+ dry before I can get a decent set out of it. Need to try some of that poo.

I CW then detangled and de-shed. I then aplied DB daily leave-in, PM super skinny serum and Nairobi setting foam. I made sure to only use a teeny bit of each product. I made sure to detangle as often as possible with my fine tooth comb as I braided each section, 7 corns rolls in all. I braided all the way to the ends and chose not to curl them. My only mistake was parting my sections, this left hard visible parts.

I'm wondering if you dry set and then spray water on them and then air dry. What exactly don't you like about your sets?? Are they frizzy? Scalpy? Lack a uniform pattern??

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie

I need to go and read what's going on, two spots?? I think I remember reading about gum in your hair and/or using MN?? Whatever the case, I'm glad you found the courage to cut the pieces and move on. As for hiding your hair for the duration of 2013, I am going to send you a present if you can do it. I don't think you can do it because you will be itching to let all that pretty hair swang, lol!

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Relaxers are no joke, that's for sure! the chems can damage skin as well as hair. The combination of the right regi, right products and careful styling makes all the difference for retention. If you have hair on your head then it's growing, maybe not as fast as you like but it is growing. Protection is the key. I was clueless about runoff from rinsing my relaxer but I've learned from the ladies here on LHCF how to protect my already relaxed hair during my touch ups among other things. Ive been chemically processed since I was a little girl-there was a brief stint with a curl--yes i said curl! I thought my hair wouldn't grow. I just got a trim on Saturday back to APL to get rid of some PRE-LHCF ends. Good luck on your HHJ.

Girl don't feel bad, I had a curl too, lol! From grades 6th-8th :).

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Ooh, I'm not even one week post. I'll be doing my post relaxer wash tomorrow night. I'm going to be relaxing in August, not sure when. How long are you stretching this time?

xu93texas did you post your relaxer results?? Are you stretching beyond 12 weeks this go round?

Babygrowth

Hey buddies! Y'all have been MIA! Anywho, I am stretching my relaxer even longer til August. I have installed crochet braids and I just want to test the leave it alone let it gro theory. Will be washing DCing every 2 weeks and will take down and redo after 4weeks.

Kim0105

Hey buddies! Y'all have been MIA! Anywho, I am stretching my relaxer even longer til August. I have installed crochet braids and I just want to test the leave it alone let it gro theory. Will be washing DCing every 2 weeks and will take down and redo after 4weeks.

Hey Buddy! I've been super busy with home, school and life in general. Right now my hair is rowed in a beehive and under a wig daily. Have fun with your stretch. I feel like I keep changing my mind on when to relax. Now it's scheduled for next weekend at just over 20 weeks post. I wanna see if I can keep it at 20 weeks each time as the next stretch would end just before my birthday in October.

I will let you know what really happens:grin: and will post pics for sure when I relax. I tried crochet braids over a year ago but find that I can't keep any extentions or the like in for longer than 2 weeks. This weekend I'll clarify, do an aphogee 2 min protein treatment and steam with a moisturizing deep conditioner. Hair will be in a bun for the next week until touch up time.

xu93texas

@xu93texas did you post your relaxer results?? Are you stretching beyond 12 weeks this go round?

KiWiStyle, I didn't post my relaxer results. I was so busy packing for our trip to New Orleans for Mother's Day weekend, so I didn't get a chance to do it. My hair relaxed well this time. I'm getting ready to do my post relaxer wash. My hair did grow a lot, but I had to get another trim to give my hair some kind of shape/style. So right now, I'm in between pixie and EL. From now on, I'll only be dusting with each relaxer.

Babygrowth

Hey Buddy! I've been super busy with home, school and life in general. Right now my hair is rowed in a beehive and under a wig daily. Have fun with your stretch. I feel like I keep changing my mind on when to relax. Now it's scheduled for next weekend at just over 20 weeks post. I wanna see if I can keep it at 20 weeks each time as the next stretch would end just before my birthday in October.

I will let you know what really happens:grin: and will post pics for sure when I relax. I tried crochet braids over a year ago but find that I can't keep any extentions or the like in for longer than 2 weeks. This weekend I'll clarify, do an aphogee 2 min protein treatment and steam with a moisturizing deep conditioner. Hair will be in a bun for the next week until touch up time.
We just keep going and going huh?! Lol! I didn't cornrow my hair very well this time so this might only last two weeks before I take it down and redo it! Plus I didn't get a chance to trim before because I lost my scissors and that worries me a bit but my ends were fine. I know for sure that unless I have braids or a weave in my hair I will not stretch past 20 weeks again until my hair is longer and I can do more styles with it! I can't wait to see what it ur hair looks like! All that growth you got over there!

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
KiWiStyle, I didn't post my relaxer results. I was so busy packing for our trip to New Orleans for Mother's Day weekend, so I didn't get a chance to do it. My hair relaxed well this time. I'm getting ready to do my post relaxer wash. My hair did grow a lot, but I had to get another trim to give my hair some kind of shape/style. So right now, I'm in between pixie and EL. From now on, I'll only be dusting with each relaxer.

I hope you had a great time on vacation AND a successful relaxer? YAY!! I'm with you on doing more frequent dusting. I don't have an exact schedule but I do plan to dust my ends on a regular basis.

DominicanBrazilian82

5 weeks post this Saturday. Going for my third consecutive 20 -week stretch (although my last stretch was 22 weeks because I got so lazy). After this 20 week stretch that I am currently in, I will trim 1-3 inches and lessen my stretches to 12-15 weeks. Three relaxers in 60 weeks (1 year and 8 weeks) is pretty damn good for me. I'm so proud of myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.