2017 Collagen Challenge...! Let's Grow!

Daina

I take the Neocell Collagen + C, along with Hyaluronic acid. Since I've been back to work I've gotten back on the bandwagon with all my supplements and water intake! I take 3 Neocell tabs in the morning with the HA and 3 at night with the HA and one 500 mg Vit. C tab. So far I have taken my morning doses and drank 64oz of water! Need to reorder more HA as I am getting low.

Gr8ness83

I have taken my collagen and other vitamins consistently. I also began yoga (its more difficult than I recall). I have been piling my scalp and daily moisturizing as well. I saturate my hair with coconut oil at night, loosely twist and pin my hair up and then tie it up. In the morning, I take off the scarf and shower, letting the steam and humidity from the hot water refresh my curls so my hair is not weighed down. I spray a little leave in, add a little oil (coconut, Ampmd, soy, morrocan, etc....) then add whatever cream styling product to my hair, finger detangling through each step. My hair really seems to enjoy this because it is getting moisturized without having to be saturated and the curls last for 3-4 days without me having to fully wet my hair to redefine.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hello Long haired beauties!! The Vitamin Shoppe has the Neocell Collagen on sale for $11.49. I just bought 2 for the price I paid for 1 Marine Collagen from Amazon.

Thanks so much for sharing. What is the difference between Neocell Collagen and the Marine Collagen (I've been using the latter). And, is the Neocell that is on cell sale at the Vitamin Shoppe powder form or pill form? TIA!

Gr8ness83

Thanks so much for sharing. What is the difference between Neocell Collagen and the Marine Collagen (I've been using the latter). And, is the Neocell that is on cell sale at the Vitamin Shoppe powder form or pill form? TIA!

If I am not mistaken, the neocell collagen is bovine (beef). The marine collagen is from fish, primarily salmon, cod snapper... Marine collagen is reported to better synthesized with human anatomy but bovine collagen is good and for those who have a fish allergy, it is a better option. They both basically do the same thing. I may try the neocell collagen at some point but I have a love affair with my marine collagen that I am not yet ready to give up. Lol

http://www.neocell.com/products-super-collagen-c-7oz.php

YvetteWithJoy

On break
If I am not mistaken, the neocell collagen is bovine (beef). The marine collagen is from fish, primarily salmon, cod snapper... Marine collagen is reported to better synthesized with human anatomy but bovine collagen is good and for those who have a fish allergy, it is a better option. They both basically do the same thing. I may try the neocell collagen at some point but I have a love affair with my marine collagen that I am not yet ready to give up. Lol

http://www.neocell.com/products-super-collagen-c-7oz.php

Thanks. Yes, I discovered this fact soon after I posted the question. I just ASSUMED it was marine-based.

@Gr8ness83, I owe you SO MUCH for posting that original thread about collagen. I am in my 40s and needed to know about collagen. I'm finally starting to see results from the couple of weeks I've been taking it. My nails are getting stronger!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's such a satisfying change! I mean, it is undeniable evidence, and it makes me imagine what's happening to my hair and skins cells and so forth. It can only be amazing, right?!?? :lol:

So, I'm sticking to my marine collagen. It works, and I feel better about fish than beef, for some reason.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I finally ordered the Zint Collagen Hydrolysate Powder! I purchased directly from their website and ordered 2lbs. for $30 with a 20 peecent coupon code I found on their FB page!

It's quality product and I can't wait to get it to compare to neocell!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170115-142606.png
    Screenshot_20170115-142606.png
    2 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Keen

I'll order marine collegen next. Not sure if I'll be able to tell the difference

Gr8ness83

I finally ordered the Zint Collagen Hydrolysate Powder! I purchased directly from their website and ordered 2lbs. for $30 with a 20 peecent coupon code I found on their FB page!

It's quality product and I can't wait to get it to compare to neocell!
I jut saw this product this morning on Amazon and thought about trying it out. Keep us posted on how well it works for you!

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I took my first dose of the Zint Beef collagen and so far I love how easy it mixes with no clumps. I love that its sourced from grass fed organic beef! I'm comparing it to the neocell brand.

I plan to take a TBSP both morning and night. So far since taking collagen I'm noticing weight loss, I've lost at least 5lbs since starting the supplement. I'm registering in at 167 in the morning and I'm hoping to drop to 155-160 and maintain.

My nails are growing faster than before, I felt like they had just stunted but now I find I have to trim often to maintain my preferred length.

@Gr8ness83 I'll be sure to report when I notice significant hair growth and if it's growing faster than usual.

Keen

Hi ladies! Small updates. Sorry I don't have pictures. I'll try to take some before I redo my hair.

I have been taking collagen for 10 weeks (Taking NeoCell, I will switch to the Bovine as of next week). My reason for taking collagen is to regrow my thinking hair. I was also spritzing my scalp with nettle tea at least 3 times a week, taking a multi and Kelp. I definitely see growth progress. I think my thinning spots are growing also but I can say for sure. I don't know if my hair appear less thin now because it's longer or if it's filling in. I think it's filling in. I used to look at my crown area and be in such despair. I don't feel like that anymore. Let's say I see enough progress to be encouraged. Shedding is WAY down.

Starting next month, I will continue the same routine except: I will only spray my scalp with nettle tea after washes, I will start with the Xcel 21 bandwagon as a topical treatment.

BTW, I tried taking collagen twice a day but that didn't work out. I keep skipping the evening dosage. So I'm back to taking the full dose in the morning.

HappyAtLast

Simplicity & Peacefulness
I'm fighting thinning in my crown too. My mama said I inherited it from my dad's aunts. Do you have links on what led you to the nettle tea? I made a mix of pumpkin seed oil with MSM and a little sulfur that I've been using for about a year, but not consistently. To that mix I'm going to add the Xcel21 because it's too watery otherwise and ruins my styles. I'm also hoping that using my progesterone cream again regularly will help with the hair loss (and excess chin hairs. :cantlook: It has in the past.)

I have been taking neocell collagen for a couple of years now. I'm going to try a marine one on my next purchase.

Hi ladies! Small updates. Sorry I don't have pictures. I'll try to take some before I redo my hair.

I have been taking collagen for 10 weeks (Taking NeoCell, I will switch to the Bovine as of next week). My reason for taking collagen is to regrow my thinking hair. I was also spritzing my scalp with nettle tea at least 3 times a week, taking a multi and Kelp. I definitely see growth progress. I think my thinning spots are growing also but I can say for sure. I don't know if my hair appear less thin now because it's longer or if it's filling in. I think it's filling in. I used to look at my crown area and be in such despair. I don't feel like that anymore. Let's say I see enough progress to be encouraged. Shedding is WAY down.

Starting next month, I will continue the same routine except: I will only spray my scalp with nettle tea after washes, I will start with the Xcel 21 bandwagon as a topical treatment.

BTW, I tried taking collagen twice a day but that didn't work out. I keep skipping the evening dosage. So I'm back to taking the full dose in the morning.

Keen

I'm fighting thinning in my crown too. My mama said I inherited it from my dad's aunts. Do you have links on what led you to the nettle tea? I made a mix of pumpkin seed oil with MSM and a little sulfur that I've been using for about a year, but not consistently. To that mix I'm going to add the Xcel21 because it's too watery otherwise and ruins my styles. I'm also hoping that using my progesterone cream again regularly will help with the hair loss (and excess chin hairs. :cantlook: It has in the past.)

I have been taking neocell collagen for a couple of years now. I'm going to try a marine one on my next purchase.
My routine is based on this lady's experience. I think my thinking may also be genetic. My sister has the same issue.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChTjjiNpkspwFsNH-FvTA_g

faithVA

I'm going to lurk in here. Not quite ready to join. I bought some liquid collagen from Costco. I don't know what brand or what kind. I just bought something I felt I would really take. I have a 60 day supply. I will decide after the 60 days whether I am going to continue and join the challenge or do something else. I just started yesterday.

This collagen is mixed with biotin so I am hoping I don't have a negative reaction to the biotin. I will know by the end of the week.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Is anyone noticing anything different or improvements since starting this challenge?

Last week during and after cleansing my hair I noticed it felt different...maybe even coated with product even though I thought I clarified a few weeks ago. I clarified today and for sure my hair feels bigger for lack of a better term. It hasn't grown much outside of my normal rate I don't think but I am noticing thicker strands. I'll report back in a few weeks if I notice faster than normal growth.

Gr8ness83

I'm going to lurk in here. Not quite ready to join. I bought some liquid collagen from Costco. I don't know what brand or what kind. I just bought something I felt I would really take. I have a 60 day supply. I will decide after the 60 days whether I am going to continue and join the challenge or do something else. I just started yesterday.

This collagen is mixed with biotin so I am hoping I don't have a negative reaction to the biotin. I will know by the end of the week.

Awesome! Can you post a pic of the collagen that you are taking? A liquid collegen sounds interesting. You are welcome at any time!

Gr8ness83

Update:
I lightly flat ironed so I coult trim a little off my ends yesterday. I trimmed some, about 1/4" and then did a "search and destroy" around my head in case I missed any. The pic in the pink in before, the pic in the white sports bra is after. I am posting them now because I am about to get some bomb twists in my hair and I am leaving them in mny hair for 10 weeks. It will be interesting to see the growth progress in that time! I also started taking a liquid multivitamin. I am starting the alkaline diet on the 11th and I will continue until May, right before my commencement ceremony, then I will transition to vegetarian.

BackIMG_0071.JPG
Back
IMG_0073.JPG

Back after trim
fullsizeoutput_142f.jpeg
Right after trim
fullsizeoutput_142b.jpeg

Left after trim
fullsizeoutput_142c.jpeg

I am hopoing to reach the bottom og this sports bra by this time next year.

Gr8ness83

The scoop is in there, but it's hard to find...I had to put mine in a ziploc to get to the scoop.

The scoop for the marine collagen in in there, it is probably settled at the bottom. I put the lid on and turned it upside down and shook it so the scoop will settle towards the top. You may bave to do this a couple of times.

Gr8ness83

Is anyone noticing anything different or improvements since starting this challenge?

Last week during and after cleansing my hair I noticed it felt different...maybe even coated with product even though I thought I clarified a few weeks ago. I clarified today and for sure my hair feels bigger for lack of a better term. It hasn't grown much outside of my normal rate I don't think but I am noticing thicker strands. I'll report back in a few weeks if I notice faster than normal growth.

That is awesome! I would focus more on how your new growth feels and reacts since the hair that is already out of your scalp is "dead" and wont be effected by it. You may get some great improvement by using agar agar (vegetable gelatin) as a hair treatment. What have you been doing? Less manipulation, protein treatments? Are you taking other vitamins as well?

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
That is awesome! I would focus more on how your new growth feels and reacts since the hair that is already out of your scalp is "dead" and wont be effected by it. You may get some great improvement by using agar agar (vegetable gelatin) as a hair treatment. What have you been doing? Less manipulation, protein treatments? Are you taking other vitamins as well?

Yes my roots, especially in my problem area (bangs) are thicker and more dense. I'm doing the same style (twistouts), I have only done one protein treatment since starting, probably before which I need to do another for my weak ends. I take iron, vitaming C and 4k IU vitamin D3.