2018 Curlyproverbz-inspired Regimen Challenge

Daina

Honestly I use either what I have on hand or what needs to be used up. I'm sure there are purist who suggest using all natural, blah blah blah....but any protein free should be useful. Now, if you have to purchase conditioner in order to make gloss, that's when you should get what you prefer.

I use whatever I have on hand @Daina. Cones and all. It really doesn't matter. Giovanni Direct is an awesome option by the way. I use deep moisturizing conditioners and cheapie conditioners like v05 with great results.

@mzteaze, @Aggie thank you both! Just wanted to make sure it wasn't because there wouldn't be some weird reaction using cones. I am quite okay with cones and they work well with my hair. Wen is my preference, but Giovanni is cheap and I can get it on the ground.

Daina

No I haven't gotten it checked but for sure I wasn't getting enough. I'm not taking a lot - just 5,000 units a day for now. I may bump it up to 10,000 sometime later if the shedding is not under control in a timely fashion.

How much units a day are you taking @mzteaze ?

@Aggie, glad you are taking a supplement. Vit D deficiency is such a common problem for AA women and many don't know it. I take 5,000 IU and it made a world of difference on my hair and overall health.

Honey Bee

I just got all my Indian powders from henna.us (thanks @ElevatedEnergy). I'd like to start wearing my hair out on a semi-permanent basis starting this upcoming spring. I probably need at least 5-6" to feel comfortable (I got fat and I need it to balance out my face lol). My goal is to increase my growth to whatever degree and to retain what I grow. My hair grows fast but it usually doesn't stay long if you get my driftt. :look: :lol:

Here's hoping I get great results!

Aggie

Saw this amazing video on Youtube describing Henna Gloss, it's benefits and how to mix.....i just had to share....i just started following her and love the way she presents her videos
I really enjoyed this video @fifigirl. I may adjust how I mix my glosses to include her process.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I have totally been meaning to read her book! I love her on YouTube! Care to share the highlights of this chapter?

Here are the highlights!
  1. Ayurveda is about balance.
  2. In ayurveda, true beauty is defined in terms of inner beauty, outer beauty, and lasting beauty.
  3. There are three mind-body types in ayurveda: vata dosha, pitta dosha, and kapha dosha. You can go to Deepak Chopra's website to determine your type/blend and get further information.
  4. Ayuredic hair care should be stress free! Don't stress yourself out over these recipes, but do experiment and document so you can hone in on what works for you. Usually 1-3 herbs is enough in a mixture! "The goal is to grow your hair, not lose it from stressing yourself out!" (p. 155)
  5. Take pictures of your hair before and after treatments, and document your journey.
  6. Start with the RESULTS YOU WANT when determining what herbs/mixes you will try.
  7. Wear gloves when applying these herbs.
  8. Ayurveda emphasizes hair care free/low of chemicals and heat.
  9. She included a very succinct "glossary" of sorts, discussing the following items, their uses, and what they mix well with (oils, other herbs in the list, etc.):
    1. amla
    2. amla oil
    3. argan oil
    4. aritha/reetha
    5. bentonite clay
    6. bhringraj
    7. bhringraj oil
    8. brahmi
    9. brahmi oil
    10. hibiscus
    11. kalpi tone
    12. marshmallow root
    13. methi (fenugreek seed)
    14. neem
    15. neem oil
    16. shikakai
    17. shikakai oil
    18. vatika oil

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Mini Challenge #1:
Take Starting January 1, 2018 Photos to Compare with Pending March 31, 2018 Photos

Greetings! :wavey:

In line with the principles of ayurveda, Mini Challenge #1 is simple!: Around January 1, 2018, please take a few photos of your hair:
  1. A length check photo
  2. A texture shot
  3. Any other other photos you'd like to take, such as a close-up of the ends of a section of your hair
Notes:
  1. January 1 would be great, but of course, it's okay if the photos are taken a few days before or after. :smile:
  2. For the length check photo, no need to straighten your hair if t's natural and you don't want to. Feel free to simply gently PULL YOUR HAIR when it is wet. Some people only photograph the back, while others prefer to also photograph the left, right, and/or front sides. You choose! :smile:
  3. For the texture shot, feel free to capture a photo of your hair PRODUCT FREE when either wet or dry or both. Indicate whether it's wet or dry. It is not good for me to let my hair dry without product, so I'll only be allowing a tiny section of my hair to dry product free, and I'll snap just that section. If you are in a protective style, no need to take down your style: Feel free to skip this. :smile:
We'd LOVE to see these photos, but I realize not everyone wants to put their hair online. The primary reason to take your January 1, 2018 photo is for your own records so that when you take your March 31, 2018 photos you can really see what your hair care practices are doing for your hair!

Happy hair journeying!

-----------------------------------

Participants, posters, and lurkers as of this post (please let me know if I left anyone out):
  1. @Aggie
  2. @aquajoyice
  3. @beauti
  4. @CICI24
  5. @Colocha
  6. @Daina
  7. @DanceOnTheSkylines
  8. @douglala
  9. @ElevatedEnergy
  10. @fifigirl
  11. @gawcjw
  12. @grownwomanaz
  13. @Hairties
  14. @halee_J
  15. @Honey Bee
  16. @Jade Feria
  17. @jamaica68
  18. @Jetblackhair
  19. @Keen
  20. @keranikki
  21. @kxlot79
  22. @LadyPBC
  23. @larry3344
  24. @long.hair.dont.care
  25. @MkLaShay
  26. @mzteaze
  27. @naturalagain2
  28. @NaturallyATLPCH
  29. @NCHairDiva
  30. @Nightingale
  31. @Nini90012
  32. @prettywhitty
  33. @Rozlewis
  34. @Saludable84
  35. @SimplyWhole
  36. @SunkissedSiren
  37. @tapioca_pudding
  38. @ThatJerseyGirl
  39. @tolly
  40. @trueheartofgold
  41. @weavepat
  42. @YvetteWithJoy

Last edited:

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
I have a couple of hair inspirations. Mostly on YouTube. For straight hair, SistaWithRealHair. She actually makes me want to be a straight haired natural. Just look at that ponytail in her thumbnail!!!:drool: (Though I think LongHairDontCare2011 (RIP) had a texture much closer to my own. I’ve always wanted to find my hair twin. No luck yet.:sad:)
For curly hair, NaturallyQuinn. Look how lovely that thumbnail WnG is!!! :drool: She inspired me to stop doing so much PSing. (Of course I think Naptural85 is closer in my texture but... I feel like all the Type 4s like to compare themselves to her lol)

Aggie

Here are the highlights!
  1. Ayurveda is about balance.
  2. In ayurveda, true beauty is defined in terms of inner beauty, outer beauty, and lasting beauty.
  3. There are three mind-body types in ayurveda: vata dosha, pitta dosha, and kapha dosha. You can go to Deepak Chopra's website to determine your type/blend and get further information.
  4. Ayuredic hair care should be stress free! Don't stress yourself out over these recipes, but do experiment and document so you can hone in on what works for you. Usually 1-3 herbs is enough in a mixture! "The goal is to grow your hair, not lose it from stressing yourself out!" (p. 155)
  5. Take pictures of your hair before and after treatments, and document your journey.
  6. Start with the RESULTS YOU WANT when determining what herbs/mixes you will try.
  7. Wear gloves when applying these herbs.
  8. Ayurveda emphasizes hair care free/low of chemicals and heat.
  9. She included a very succinct "glossary" of sorts, discussing the following items, their uses, and what they mix well with (oils, other herbs in the list, etc.):
    1. amla
    2. amla oil
    3. argan oil
    4. aritha/reetha
    5. bentonite clay
    6. bhringraj
    7. bhringraj oil
    8. brahmi
    9. brahmi oil
    10. hibiscus
    11. kalpi tone
    12. marshmallow root
    13. methi (fenugreek seed)
    14. neem
    15. neem oil
    16. shikakai
    17. shikakai oil
    18. vatika oil
I don't see henna in your list. Is henna not included?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I have a couple of hair inspirations. Mostly on YouTube. For straight hair, SistaWithRealHair. She actually makes me want to be a straight haired natural. Just look at that ponytail in her thumbnail!!!:drool: (Though I think LongHairDontCare2011 (RIP) had a texture much closer to my own. I’ve always wanted to find my hair twin. No luck yet.:sad:)
For curly hair, NaturallyQuinn. Look how lovely that thumbnail WnG is!!! :drool: She inspired me to stop doing so much PSing. (Of course I think Naptural85 is closer in my texture but... I feel like all the Type 4s like to compare themselves to her lol)

Yesssss! NaturallyQuinn gives me hope AND peace. Love her and her hair. :smile:

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
I see you already got some replies but I wanted to add my 2 cents, for you or any potential lurkers.
I would say cone/cone-free matters the most if you notice a difference in your hair with these.
I definitely notice the difference ingredients and cones have on my hair. It’s why I never use coconut oil in my henna mixes or cone conditioners in my glosses.
I would also say most (if not all) silicone conditioners leave behind a film (of varying thickness) and my personal experience has been that the silicones reduce the henna’s ability to stick to/absorb into your cuticles...
Technically you’re already doing that with any conditioner and even a little bit of henna is going to have some effect over none at all.
I’d personally recommend trying it both ways and seeing which you like more or whether your hair notices any difference at all.
Hi Ladies, quick question for those doing glosses...I read in another thread to use a conditioner that is cone free when mixing in henna/cassia? Just curious if anyone follows that and if so why? I currently use Wen 613 as my conditioner base for glosses which doesn't have cones or at least that I can tell from the ingredients. But I wanted to have other options available as well. Thinking of using Giovanni Direct conditioners as an option as well. Thanks!

naturalagain2

Just bought some fenugreek seeds (to add to my oil) and rhassoul clay. I plan to do clay washes 2x a month using FusionofCultures recipe. I love her youtube channel.

I saw an old article from CurlyProverbz where she said that she clarified with shampoo the first week, cowashed the next week, clay wash the third week then repeat the first week over again and so on . I plan to do this but the last two weeks of the month I plan to do clay washes.

weavepat

My BF order from Cornerstone Skin arrived yesterday. Some raw cocoa butter came yesterday too. I have one gloss bar left for next week's wash day so I'll mix up a new batch sometime in the next couple of weeks. It will now contain equal parts: cassia, sedr, herbal henna from amazon, herbal henna from zenia, and cornerstone skin.

Nini90012

Hello Ladies,
What cone free conditioners do you use for your henna glosses? I used VO5 moisture milk and it was much too runny....

douglala

Is the MSM powder supposed to dissolve in your oil mixture? I put some in my applicator bottle towards the end of my batch and it just made my oil grainy.

I love what the oils do for the length of my hair but I have not to seen any increased growth yet. I know it’s only been 1 month but.....

Last edited:

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
I’d suggest firstly that if your issue is a consistency one, you can adjust the volume of liquid in your henna mix. Make it more a thick paste and then it’s more creamy once you add VO5 to it. You could also adjust the proportion of henna and conditioner for this.
For myself, on GP, I only use my cheapie silicone-free conditioners for my henna glosses. And while I recommend what I’ve used and enjoyed results with, you know companies are forever changing their ingredients so double check your bottle before use/purchase. Any conditioner you’ve used before and was more good than bad is a good candidate for henna glosses imo, of course the better it is, the better your gloss.

-Suave Coconut
-Suave Strawberry
-Sally’s GVP Conditioning Balm
-Tresseme Perfectly Undone
-Tresseme Naturals (Silicone Free) is still available in my area

That’s four I can think of off the top of my head. Maybe others will chime in! HTH!

Hello Ladies,
What cone free conditioners do you use for your henna glosses? I used VO5 moisture milk and it was much too runny....

Honey Bee

My CP "four ingredient hair growth oil" is a-brewing! :yay:

I'll make a tea spritz later. I'll be using tea bags that I already have since my stuff ain't come yet (as much as I paid for shipping- hmph). :rolleyes: I have green tea, black tea, rose hip/ hibiscus tea, and some loose burdock root, marshmallow root powder, and slippery elm powder. Suggestions? I also wanna test out my germall plus, so I was thinking about adding AVJ. :look:

naturalagain2

Does any one use AVJ in their henna gloss instead of water? I was watching one of her videos and I think she does that now for added moisture. I was doing my daughters hair while listening so I could have heard that wrong.

Honey Bee

Does any one use AVJ in their henna gloss instead of water? I was watching one of her videos and I think she does that now for added moisture. I was doing my daughters hair while listening so I could have heard that wrong.
I don't know what she said, but I've been doing clay rinses very regularly for the past few years, 2x/w k when my hair is loose, and the majority of my liquid is AVJ/G. I'd imagine that any other mask (henna, hibiscus, whatever) would work the same.

weavepat

Is the MSM powder supposed to dissolve in your oil mixture? I put some in my applicator bottle towards the end of my batch and it just made my oil grainy.

I love what the oils do for the length of my hair but I have not to seen any increased growth yet. I know it’s only been 1 month but.....

MSM doesn't dissolve in oil so you will have grains in your oil.

weavepat

Some whole amla I ordered will arrive today. Tonight I'll brew a batch of amla, neem, CS henna blend, green, and (possibly)hibiscus tea.

Britt

Hi ladies, how practical is it use Ayurveda/henna to cover grey hair? My mom is a mixstress and the front of her hair has a nice lighter color brown due to the products she uses. I honestly can't remember what exactly she uses but I said I would ask advice in this thread. What exactly can I use to color/cover greys? Or should I just stick with regular hair dye?