2023 - SL/APL Challenge

faithVA

Having to go into the office is forcing me to do something with my head which is good. Because I have really been slacking for the past 3 years.

I shampooed, conditioned and then put in my good ole flat twists on Wednesday to go into the office Thursday. I said I was going to put in two-strands but I couldn't bring myself to do it :lol: But I will do two-strands when I'm really feeling them and then do the flat twist all other times.

My last curly cut she hacked that right side, so I'm having to let it grow out. The curly cuts were good to get me to this point when it was too short to twist. It gave me something to wear. But that season is over. I will be trimming my own ends and just sticking to twist.

I think my sides will grow out by December and I will be back in the swing of things.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
@MzSwift and @faithVA

No, my roots probably aren't as straight. Both are flat ironed but I blow dried with a comb attachment first in April and yesterday I did an overnight airdry rollerset. I don't think there's that much puffiness though.

Also, my head is mostly straight but I can see the lean and I can tell my arm is slightly higher so the angle may be different. But I did do the comb down/pull down test on the left side and it is shorter.

There probably is some mechanical damage in between PS now that you mention it @MzSwift. I do wear my hair out, but not down in between styling sets. And TBH, I'm not necessarily as diligent with moisturizing and sealing during that week as I could be. I will make my damp bun in the shower and leave it in for 3-4 days and then change the position. And you may be on to something with the cornrows. As I said, I did a 6 month wig challenge but the first 3 months I had single braids under the wigs. My hair thickened up some and I did retain length, but the ends some times tangled and broke due to dryness. The last 3 months, I did cornrows and my retention was near 100%. I'll be onboarding at a new job in a couple of weeks so I will check the head covering policy. I don't want to wear wigs as much because it does thin my hairline, but I can wear head wraps with no problem.

And yes, I have lost weight @faithVA. I'm training for a 5K now so really cleaned up my diet and now exercising 4-5 days a week. I'm probably down 10-12 lbs since April.

MzSwift

@MzSwift and @faithVA

No, my roots probably aren't as straight. Both are flat ironed but I blow dried with a comb attachment first in April and yesterday I did an overnight airdry rollerset. I don't think there's that much puffiness though.

Also, my head is mostly straight but I can see the lean and I can tell my arm is slightly higher so the angle may be different. But I did do the comb down/pull down test on the left side and it is shorter.

There probably is some mechanical damage in between PS now that you mention it @MzSwift. I do wear my hair out, but not down in between styling sets. And TBH, I'm not necessarily as diligent with moisturizing and sealing during that week as I could be. I will make my damp bun in the shower and leave it in for 3-4 days and then change the position. And you may be on to something with the cornrows. As I said, I did a 6 month wig challenge but the first 3 months I had single braids under the wigs. My hair thickened up some and I did retain length, but the ends some times tangled and broke due to dryness. The last 3 months, I did cornrows and my retention was near 100%. I'll be onboarding at a new job in a couple of weeks so I will check the head covering policy. I don't want to wear wigs as much because it does thin my hairline, but I can wear head wraps with no problem.

And yes, I have lost weight @faithVA. I'm training for a 5K now so really cleaned up my diet and now exercising 4-5 days a week. I'm probably down 10-12 lbs since April.

Congratulations on your new job and your weight loss! :clap: Good luck on your 5K!!

faithVA

@MzSwift and @faithVA

:congrats: I can definitely see the weight loss. I was trying to toe the line just in case I was wrong. But great job. Your hard work is paying off. :woot:

When is your 5K?

apple_natural

hi there! It's super late in the year, but I would like to join! I'll be with you guys next year most likely. I cut my hair last year for no good reason. This year, I cut it again because I've been doing curly cuts, but I hate multilayers. They have got to go eventually. Right now, the top of my hair is maybe ear length idk... probably neck length actually. It's not shoulder length. I'm now going by the length of my top instead of the back or bottom.

I'm thinking of putting in mini braids under clips in during the winter. If I can keep this up until next year spring at least, I'll be happy. I would really be happy if I can keep wearing clip ins until December 2024, that would be fabulous. I would braid it up and I might, but the braiding hair bothers my skin and I didn't feel like dealing with that right now. I may do it for the summer months idk.

Last edited:

faithVA

hi there! It's super late in the year, but I would like to join! I'll be with you guys next year most likely. I cut my hair last year for no good reason. This year, I cut it again because I've been doing curly cuts, but I hate multilayers. They have got to go eventually. Right now, the top of my hair is maybe ear length idk... probably neck length actually. It's not shoulder length. I'm now going by the length of my top instead of the back or bottom.

I'm thinking of putting in mini braids under clips in during the winter. If I can keep this up until next year spring at least, I'll be happy. I would really be happy if I can keep wearing clip ins until December 2024, that would be fabulous. I would braid it up and I might, but the braiding hair bothers my skin and I didn't feel like dealing with that right now. I may do it for the summer months idk.
Hi @apple_natural . You are always welcome. Glad to have you. There still is enough time left in the year for 1 or 2 inches. :yep:

faithVA

SL curls are still a mile away…maybe in 2030.

View attachment 491995
I know it isn't where you want it yet but it is definitely closer. The space between your hair and your pink shirt is much smaller than the picture with the black shirt. And the left side of your hair, in pic 2 is really close to touching your shirt.

2024 may definitely be the year.

apple_natural

Products:
I received my order of Natty Naturals leave-in
I added wheat germ oil to the scalp oil that I have
decided to use my fenugreek water in place of water before henna and before leave-in
started msm 10/30. i get 2 inches in 3 months normally. im hoping for 1 inch a month. it did happen one year, but i dont remember what i was doing

Hair:
I put my hair in little braids
I was wearing these under a kinky straight wig and now under coily clip ins. I wish I got a coily wig instead but I'll get one some time from now.
so i'll keep this up until at least the end of next year

Last edited:

sunnieb

Hey ladies! I relaxed yesterday and that will be my last relaxer for the year so I'm posting my year end pics now.

I don't see much difference in my length from last year. :ohwell: But, somehow I feel like I have more hair than a year ago. I didn't make it to APL just yet, but I'm not discouraged. My hair is so healthy and I'm happy with it. The length will come!

December 2022
20221212_184330 (1).jpg

November 2023
20231105_174307.jpg

faithVA

@sunnieb I can tell! Your hair hangs down lower on your shirt. It was up top, now it's down lower.
Agreed. It is definitely longer in all areas. A good portion of your hair was only neck length before. Now the majority of it is way beyond shoulder length.

And before you had a blunt cut. Now you have this tail that is even longer. So you have made great progress.

From the picture I can't tell where APL is on you, but I think the tail of your hair is very close.

faithVA

I'm not doing much to my hair. Reluctantly I shampoo, condition and put in flat twist within a 10 day period.

I'm glad to have a few more weeks to grow out before the reveal.

I'm not SL but I have definitely made progress since last year. Since I'm done with my curly cuts, I hope to reach SL next year.

apple_natural

I put on a henna/oil/conditioner/water mixture. I intend to keep it in for 3 hours. I don't know if I will do this just once or more a month. I guess I will see. It doesn't really matter as long as I have the tool in my toolbox, I'll use it when I need it. I'm thinking every other week alternating with a conditioner with heat

I've been wearing my coily clip ins. I'm happy that I mixed the cheap and expensive set because the two textures match the blend that I have naturally. It looks great. I have not dont any braid out or other styles on them yet, but I hope that I take the time to do that this week. I still think I'll end the winter with a wig version.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Me and my mini braids just chugging along. I shampoo and DC every 3-4 days and cowash as needed in between. LOC for moisture every day. I've redone some of the braids that were getting some matting at the roots but they are generally holding up well.

I have to work NYE night but I should be able to get my end of year pic up. Even though I know I won't make APL this year, I'll likely lurk the BSL/BSB 2024 thread.

TLC1020

Hey ladies,
I'm getting a hair cut this weekend, the sides will be short as they were see thru. I cut the see ends myself and should have left it alone but I hated the way it looked. I have a picture/video that I will show the stylist, hopefully she do a great job.

apple_natural

I have not done that much with my hair. I think I moisturized it a little here and there. I have oiled it today. I do moisturize my leave out and braid it pretty much everyday. I put lavender and peppermint oil in my scalp oil. I need to use more of it more regularly. I put that on. I sprayed my fenugreek water on and put on leave in.... i've not been taking msm. i'll try to just do it as a habit without expecting anything

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Yesterday I shampooed and DC'd my hair for the first time in about 10 days. Due to a few birthdays and holiday traveling, I just didn't get to it.

Redid some of my mini braids as I was getting some matting at the roots. I think this will be the last time I do this before taking them all out at the end of next month. Most of the time, the mini braids are in a ponytail while I'm at work.

apple_natural

It's okay, sometimes we be trippin lol
I'm always tripping and I went a bit crazy with the oil purchases lately also. I bought 4 new oils and added more ingredients. I'm telling myself that I'll need all this oil.

Nutritionally...
I have been making a simple spinach smoothie everyday for the past few days.

Exercise:
want to build up to an hour of walking a day

Last edited:

apple_natural

I just want to say that my hair feels so balanced. I hope I keep up my little routine. I'm a bit worried that I won't, but that is fear of success.

I was thinking of blowing it out for a starting photo, but I know that will ruin the nice balanced feeling going on. I won't. If I make any significant gains, then I won't have photos but I'll have hair. That's good enough.