2022 - SL/APL Challenge

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Tried damp bunning for a week and a half and was not a fan. So now I have mini braids in a bun. Will likely keep these in for the rese of the month. I recently increased my number of workout days and will also be increasing the weight/intensity so more sweating. Every other day cowashing is about to be a thing.

faithVA

Tried damp bunning for a week and a half and was not a fan. So now I have mini braids in a bun. Will likely keep these in for the rese of the month. I recently increased my number of workout days and will also be increasing the weight/intensity so more sweating. Every other day cowashing is about to be a thing.
What didn't you like about damp bunning?

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
What didn't you like about damp bunning?

With my current length and amount of shrinkage, damp bunning was just too much manipulation. And it was more time consuming. Because I wash my hair at night, I'd have to do chunky twists or braids to get some stretching. I'd do the bun in the morning when my hair was still damp but it would also be shrinking at the same, hence more manipulation.

My hair needs to be soaking wet or completely dry as it goes into the bun. Next summer when my hair is longer, I'll try damp again.

faithVA

Work is super busy and I haven't done much with my hair. It hasn't been too long since I did my hair but I don't remember when that was. It wasn't more than 2 weeks though. Considering it was more than 10 days my hair felt pretty good. I dreaded washing but I got it down.

I kept it simple. I shampooed twice. Then I used Aphoghee balance conditioner. I finished with a deep conditioner. Decided to twist it up with the deep conditioner in. I may rinse it out tomorrow and put in a leave-in and then twist it back up.

I keep saying I'm going to blow dry but that is going to have to be something I do on a long-weekend.

faithVA

Yesterday, I did the pull test while in the shower and I was wondering of course if I'm retaining length and getting closer to my goal. I can't trust my memory. I can only trust pictures. I always feel like my hair is the same length month after the month. Fortunately, I don't feel like doing much to my hair or taking pictures, so I can enjoy the surprise in December when I take my year end pictures.

One thing I do notice is that now I can do 4 flat twists on each side when I 'm air drying. I'm pretty sure earlier this year I had to do 6 on each side. I know it is still a struggle to do my 2 flat twists on stretched hair. I believe January 2020, I was just starting to move into new territory with it being easier. My hair hasn't gotten back to the length it was when it broke off. I will compare March 2020 with March 2023 to see how it is going.

I pulled out my Rev-Air and put it in an easy location to access. I'm going to try blow drying every wash day to see if I keep my hair more presentable :lol: I really don't feel like doing anything with it. I find myself shampooing, conditioning and then leaving my hair in the same twists I air dry in :nono: I need to do a bit better :yep:

How's it going with everyone else?

Time is definitely winding down.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Hadn't planned on it, but I refreshed my cornrows and braids. Didn't take long even though I did them one by one. Basically, I took down a braid, did a mini finger detangle, then braided it back up. They will last exactly one month as I plan on taking them down after Christmas for my official length check.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I stretched a few pieces and they reach apl but I feel like the stretch test is not accurate for me. I wish I had effortless hair that was easy to grow

faithVA

I finally rinsed out my deep conditioner and detangled my hair. I put in a leave-in and then blow dried with the Rev-Air. Not sure how long it took me. I watched YouTube while I dried my hair. I still like the RevAir. It gives me a good stretch without leaving my hair overly dry.

I pulled a few sections and by the end of December I believe 90% of my hair will be nape length, with the nape collar bone length. I will take it.

I pulled it up in a bun and I think I can get all the hairs in a struggle bun and that is before flat ironing. That is definitely progress.

I put my hair into 2 flat twists per usual. For December I will flat iron but I think between blow dried hair and flat ironed hair, blow dried hair has more body and is easier for me to style. But I think for now I'm going to stick to blow drying every other week. I don't want to over do it and dry it out without realizing it.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Me, the mini braids, and the wigs just chilling until the holiday. Basically in maintenance mode. I go to the gym 3-4 days a week so I cowash and DC on those days. That's also when I do LOC.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out the exact day, products, and method I'll use for the length check. It'll probably go up on NYE afternoon.

Evolving78

I don't actually know how long my hair is. I spent the beginning part of this year cutting all the color out. I'll find out sometime in the next 3 months lol
I’m not in this challenge, but over the years, we always end up cutting and coloring our hair! Lol I was just about to cut all of the color out of my hair, but I had to take a pause for a week! I didn’t know if I was being reactive or was that what I really wanted. I decided to just do a good trim.

If Faith starts a challenge for next year, I’m in. I would like to get to SL some time next year.

faithVA

I’m not in this challenge, but over the years, we always end up cutting and coloring our hair! Lol I was just about to cut all of the color out of my hair, but I had to take a pause for a week! I didn’t know if I was being reactive or was that what I really wanted. I decided to just do a good trim.

If Faith starts a challenge for next year, I’m in. I would like to get to SL some time next year.
I will start a challenge for next year unless someone beats me to it. It will go up in the next few days.

faithVA

The new challenge thread is up.

faithVA

I'm usually super excited to do my year-end update but this year I'm just not feeling it. Hopefully, this hair laziness is just a phase.

I did a quick shampoo tonight, conditioned and then did a quick deep condition while I showered. I knew if I applied conditioner and got out of the shower, I wouldn't rinse it out. It is just too cold to jump in and out of the shower.

I dried with my rev-air. I've been using it for several weeks now to give me that extra stretch. This is my last blow dry for a while. With the air so dry, I will do more deep conditioning and air drying.

I plan to flat iron tomorrow. Hopefully, breaking up the steps will make it less painful.

Hopefully, I will get some good pics and then the next shampoo I will put my hair in 2 strands or back to flat twists.

I hope to be back tomorrow with pics.

faithVA

I definitely made progress this year. In my starting post I said my goal was SL, but I was only EL in January so that was unrealistic with my growth rate. But I did reach NL for all areas and my nape is SL. So now it is realistic for me to set my 2023 goal to SL.

Ending Pics (12/27/2022)
20221227_184118.jpg20221227_184135.jpg20221227_184154.jpg20221227_184217.jpg

Starting Pic (Post by 12/31/2021):
20211226_165109.jpg20211226_165029.jpg20211226_165010.jpg20211226_164941.jpg

Attachments

• 20211226_165046.jpg
    20211226_165046.jpg
    800.4 KB · Views: 14

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Made full SL by the skin of my teeth. I wasn't sure the left side would catch up to the right side but it did. I like the new overall thickness.

But I have to start over . I'll talk about it more in the 2023 thread. 2022 was still a success though.

Top - December 2021 - April 2022
Bottom- July 2022 - December 2022

Attachments

• IMG_20221231_113640.jpg
    IMG_20221231_113640.jpg
    983.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited: