9 year old with very split ends! Arrrggghhh!

kitten73

My daughter is nine years old, 3a-3b natural. I normally keep her hair curly in a ponytail, in braids or occasionally blow dried and flat ironed for special occasions or picture day. I have been using the entire line of Kid's Organics on her hair. Her hair is very uneven and the ends are split. I have been trimming every so often but it doesn’t' seem to be helping. She in order to really get it even I would have to at least cut 3 or 4 inches off and I think she will have a fit if I do that. I am wondering if I can do some major conditioning to help the problem. I think Emergencee and Aphogee protein conditioners will be a little too strong for her. If anyone can give me any advice on a regimen that will help be combat her split dry ends I would appreciate it. I really don't want to cut it because her hair has so many different lengths but if I have to I will.

luvlonghair

Hi Kitten73,

It seems that she needs more conditioning. I don't think protein is the answer to this. The ends are very dry and are splitting too much. You will need to trim, but can trim a little at a time so she won't lose much length.

There are many conditionioners out there but you will need to find one that works for her. Make sure you are shampooing once a week or at least every two weeks. Deep condition and style. Make sure you are keeping those ends moisturized and/or protected.

She should be fine from here on out. It may take 6 to 12 weeks to really see great progress, but you will be progressing after each conditioning treatment!

Good Luck!!!!!

ThickHair

I say cut off the 4 inches or so. Split ends can split up the shaft. If you don't make a big deal out of it, your daughter won't. Remind her she is more that her hair.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

If it's really bad then I would just cut it, cause some spit ends are so bad they just travel up the shaft and make it worst over time. Once the split ends are gone I would DC weekly and apply Bed heads Split end mender to help prevent or minimize any future split ends. Don't forget moisturizing daily or atleast every other day.

Harry

luvlonghair said:
Hi Kitten73,

It seems that she needs more conditioning. I don't think protein is the answer to this. The ends are very dry and are splitting too much. You will need to trim, but can trim a little at a time so she won't lose much length.

There are many conditionioners out there but you will need to find one that works for her. Make sure you are shampooing once a week or at least every two weeks. Deep condition and style. Make sure you are keeping those ends moisturized and/or protected.

She should be fine from here on out. It may take 6 to 12 weeks to really see great progress, but you will be progressing after each conditioning treatment!

Good Luck!!!!!

I agree. I also suffer from dry ends. I found this conditioner mix on another board and it is really mositurizing:

1 part of favorite mositurizing conditioner
1/4 part honey
1/4 part clear aloe vera gel

Place in microwave for 10 - 15 seconds. Apply to clean hair, leave in under heat cap/warm towel. (for an hour or so) Rinse well. Add leave in and style as usual.

Hope this helps!

goldensensation

I'd say give her gradual trims and protect those ends! Curly ponytails are cute, but can wreak havoc on the hair if worn for extended periods of time. :ohwell:

kitten73

luvlonghair said:
Hi Kitten73,

Good Luck!!!!!

Thanks for the advice. I trimmed last night so I think in a few more weeks I will do it again and keep doing it gradually. I am also going to start sealing in the daily moisturizer with some WGO. Her hair really likes Nexxus Therappe and Humectress and the Kids Organics so I will alternate between the two. She loves when I put her hair in a bun so I will do that to protect the ends and to keep them away.

kitten73

ThickHair said:
I say cut off the 4 inches or so. Split ends can split up the shaft. If you don't make a big deal out of it, your daughter won't. Remind her she is more that her hair.

Oh yes, I have been telling her that from very early. I tell her all the time a it's what is in your heart and soul and mind that makes you a beautiful person. Not your hair, cloths or what you have or don't have. It's tough when they go to school around other kids who don't know any better. I love to do her hair in twists, it looks beautiful and she would come home and tell me the kids use to ask her how does her hair look long some days and really really short others, she is a trip, she told them her mom is very creative with her hair so she can go back and forth. She doesn't have a complex about short hair. I have had long hair past bra strap all of my life and that was all she was use to seeing on me until this year when I cut my hair to a low fade. She was shocked and I told her it was only hair and that I am the same person.

kitten73

goldensensation said:
I'd say give her gradual trims and protect those ends! Curly ponytails are cute, but can wreak havoc on the hair if worn for extended periods of time. :ohwell:

Really, and I thought I was doing something by just washing her hair and letting it be worn curly. We did this almost all summer alternating between braid styles. I

SignatureBeauty

Your Little Girl is too Cute & she has some Beautiful Hair, it looks really healthy. I agree with the OP about gradually trimming her hair to get rid of those pesky ends, because they make the hair look bad. LOL!!! It is good to know that she Loves her Natural Hair!!!

caribeandiva

Human being
only one thing to do trim them gradually. also use a lot more moisturizing products, that can help with the dryness.

hairmaster

I sometimes think it's not good for the parent to trim kids hair for the idea their afraid that if they cut to much, you have to look at the hair and just do what has to be cut if the hair is uneven and you are not triming enough they hair will never catch-up. Have someone else cut it so you daughter is not mad at you.