90 Day Roller Setting Challenge 2009

TrendySocialite

I don't think I saw any roller setting challenges for 2009. Based on what was done during the 6 month challenge last year, here's what I recommend....

Hopefully we'll have some takers!

The Official Rollerset/Pincurl Challenge 3 month Challenge 2009

Since it is so close to Christmas, we are going to take it easy until January.

The challenge officially starts January 1, 09' and ends April 1, 09'.
(Use the last few days in December to practice and get products if you need them)

This is a 3 month challenge.

Guidelines:
  • Post starting pictures, starting roller type, color, styling products (i.e.…styling lotions, serums, etc) and your challenge goal by January 4, 2009.
  • Post pictures the first day of every month during the challenge (update changes, product changes, and product reviews)
  • You must rollerset/pincurl at least 2x per week or more.
    At least one set must be after a wash on wet hair
  • Other sets can be a dry moisturizer, hair mist, homemade concoction, water, and put up in rollers or pin curls b4 bed, and removed b4 bed or slept on overnight. but....(NO BLOWDRYER ALLOWED ON THIS SET)
  • Continue using vitamins, and other hair care regimens( challenges, CWC, etc,,,) but you cannot use any other heat source…..No flat ironing, or blowfrying,
    • (optional: you can blowfry your roots if you are stretching to get them straight but the goal of this challenge try to get to the level to saran wrap your roller set after you take out the rollers for healthier hair and to increase length
    • You can flat iron if you are doing a length check as part of another challenge
Accellerated challengers(add one additional wash rollerset during the week and airdry or sit under dryer)

Focus on smooth sets and smooth moisturized and healthy ends.

GOAL:
Maximize and retain your personal growth rate

Tutorials and Help(feel free to post your links)

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art12483.asp
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=177689
http://healthytextures.typepad.com/my_journey_to_healthy_hai/2007/12/pincurling-tuto.html
http://healthytextures.typepad.com/my_journey_to_healthy_hai/2007/05/rollersetting_t.html#more
http://healthytextures.typepad.com/my_journey_to_healthy_hai/2007/11/faq-all-about-p.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDOPWlDylV4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HtXHzoM5Yg

Styling Tools

Choosing Rollers and Curlers

There are many types of rollers, both non-heated and heated. They all vary in length and width -- a wide diameter gives a full, smooth curl, while a thin roller gives a tight, spiral-type curl.

When using non-heated rollers, set your hair before taking a shower: The steam will help set the curls for a long lasting style. And never wind rollers too tightly, or you could end up with hair loss.

Magnetic rollers add smooth curl and volume. Because they are used to set wet hair, they offer long lasting curl.

Velcro rollers provide soft curl and full body, and can be used on either damp or dry hair. These are good choices for short or fine hair and hair that breaks easily, since they don't need to be clipped in place. However, if your hair is long or thick, you might need to use clips to keep Velcro rollers in place.

Foam rollers give curl to fragile hair and are best used when your hair is dry; they're even soft enough to sleep on.

Snap-on rollers and brush rollers hold hair securely, but they can damage your hair and are therefore not usually recommended.

Plastic mesh rollers are best used on wet hair. They help hair dry quickly and create smooth curls.

Flexi-rods and hair twirlers are long, flexible cushioned rods designed to create spiral curls without the use of pins or clips.

Hot rollers and steam rollers, available in a variety of diameters, are used on dry hair to create long lasting curl and minimize frizz. Both types are less damaging to hair than irons. Hot rollers are faster to use -- you have to wait for steam rollers to dry before taking them out. However, steam rollers are the gentlest way to get soft, full curls. When using either type of heated rollers, carefully wrap small sections of hair, making sure the ends
tucked in.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2147778_roll...d-hair.htmlare

chsingdrms

Yessiirr! I definatley want to join. Please put me on the list, cause I'm relaxing Xmas weekend and I don't think bunning is doing to well for me:ohwell:.Thank you.

MizzBrown

Snap-on rollers DO NOT ruin everyones hair. I can attest to that. Otherwise my siggy pic would like ish.

I swear by snap-ons. Great for beginners. There is no right way. Do you.

I think i'll join this challenge. I've been rollersetting exclusively since January anyway so this will be a piece of cake.

Nevermind, i see the Flat Iron no-no. No way i can stretch without flat-ironing...i'll pass!

soulie

Snap-on rollers DO NOT ruin everyones hair. I can attest to that. Otherwise my siggy pic would like ish.

I swear by snap-ons. Great for beginners. There is no right way. Do you.

I think i'll join this challenge. I've been rollersetting exclusively since January anyway so this will be a piece of cake.

Nevermind, i see the Flat Iron no-no. No way i can stretch without flat-ironing...i'll pass!

What about flatironing roots when stretching? I can manage that more proficiently than blowdrying them :ohwell:

MizzBrown

What about flatironing roots when stretching? I can manage that more proficiently than blowdrying them :ohwell:

The guidelines for this challenge states that you need to avoid direct heat as much as possible. So use a Flat iron for length check purposes only.

I tried the saran wrap method. HOT MESS! So i'm gonna need to to flat iron these roots after rollersetting so it won't look like i am wearing a wig.

I choose not to go back to my blowdryer and use a flat iron instead.

soulie

The guidelines for this challenge states that you need to avoid direct heat as much as possible. So use a Flat iron for length check purposes only.

I tried the saran wrap method. HOT MESS! So i'm gonna need to to flat iron these roots after rollersetting so it won't look like i am wearing a wig.

I choose not to go back to my blowdryer and use a flat iron instead.

Right, but the guidelines also state:

Continue using vitamins, and other hair care regimens( challenges, CWC, etc,,,) but you cannot use any other heat source…..No flat ironing, or blowfrying,
  • (optional: you can blowfry your roots if you are stretching to get them straight but the goal of this challenge try to get to the level to saran wrap your roller set after you take out the rollers for healthier hair and to increase length
I'm just trying to negotiate root flatironing instead of "blowfrying". Saran wrap didn't work for me either, and I'm going to be 8 weeks post when the challenge STARTS. By the end of the challenge I will NEED to flatiron roots so I can get a hat on!

TrendySocialite

I have no problems with flat ironing roots. I think that's a lot less heat that flat ironing your whole head.

I used the guidelines from a previous challenge. For me the goals of this challenge are:

minimize combing/brushing
minimize daily, excessive or direct heat
minimize manipulation
still have a cute style!

I'm flexible. Whatever your rollersetting method is, I say go for it....just be sure you're rollersetting.

I don't think you need to roller set your whole head either, but it needs to be more than a bang or something like that.

shelli4018

Count me in. This gives me the excuse I need to become a proficient rollersetter. Not sure I have time to set my hair twice a week. But I can do it weekly before putting it up in a bun.

TrendySocialite

For those of you that have signed up for this challenge, it starts tomorrow!!!! I plan on rollersetting tomorrow after I co-wash. My starting pic is in my siggy.

Happy Rollersetting!

ayoung

Ok, I'm about to live in here for 3 months :lol:

I'm in, been rollersetting all for about 4 months and my hair has NEVER been better. (but it gets boring...)

Ok---so, right now I use these rollers the PURPLE w/the CLIP roller from Sally's for a more lasting set.

I bought the PURPLE PIN roller (which is larger) and will try that one day for a looser set.

REGGIE:
Wash DC weekly then add a quarter size of creamy leave in---that's it, then set.
Daily: run an oil through my hair--focus on ends
'grease' or HEALTHY ENDS on my edges and nape
OCT daily
Mid week--mist hair and re-set.

TrendySocialite

Hmmm....so you mist hair with what water and then reset? Do you air dry or blow dry after you mist?

I was looking for a way to not have to rewash my hair again. But because I try to cowash twice a week, I've been managing. But I hate when my rollerset starts looking old...so this remisting may work for me.

chebaby

im joining, so please count me in.

with that said i WILL be flat ironing my roots because i only relax twice a year. i will try the saran wrap the first couple of times to see if that'll work.

i will be washing with wen, deepp conditioning and rollersetting 2x a week and hopefully i will be able to pre poo 2x a week as well.

the products i will be using are:
wen (all of them)
humecto
ORS replenishing pak
joico intense hydrator
kenra nourishing mask
nourish and shine
coconut oil
whipped cream
vatika oil
vatiks frosting
cocasta oil
PM moisture mist
ojon mist
joico smoothing balm

and i have some aloe vera juice so im thinking of getting some rose water and making a sprits for my rollersets as well.

ayoung

I read about someone on here doing it and tried---it really works b/c I don't have time for the whole routine several times a week. Lowmanipulation is key for me.

So, I just MIST it (not wet or dripping at all) with distilled water alone, or distilled with a bit of aloe vera juice and a tad of glycerine.

This way(just misting)---I can air dry it while at home, take the rollers out before bed---and be set for the next day. (the curls are 'tighter' than if I rolled dry--therefore giving me more days of decent looking hair until wash day!)

Let us know if you try it and if it works! :yep:

Hmmm....so you mist hair with what water and then reset? Do you air dry or blow dry after you mist?

I was looking for a way to not have to rewash my hair again. But because I try to cowash twice a week, I've been managing. But I hate when my rollerset starts looking old...so this remisting may work for me.

tdwillis

That is absolutely gorgeous!:grin: I hope to learn how to rollerset this good.
Can you give any tips on how you do your rollersets?

ayoung

That is absolutely gorgeous!:grin: I hope to learn how to rollerset this good.
Can you give any tips on how you do your rollersets?

Thank you!:blush:

Lets see if I can describe it : (the front is in pulled back w/ a headband)

I do a mohawk, then clip the loose hair on each side of my hair to keep it out of the way.

I roll the mohawk back--making sure the parts are not too thick or too much hair is on the roller.

I begin rolling (like 3 turns) then pull us as if tightening the hair, roll, roll, roll--tighten.

I roll the mohawk back and the sides down.

Then--sit under my Sally's dryer. When completely dry I separate each curl and kinda massage or finger scalp to hid the parts and make it fuller.

HTH!

I bought her DVD and then tweaked it to fit what I like re: my hair. (ex. rolling the sides down instead of up)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgJs_Iqm91c

Ladies I did my first set today.Washed w/ Pantene pro v smooth lisses, Dc with a coconut milk,honey,silk element moist. treatment,evoo, then on top rub some castor oil sat under dryer for 30-35 min. sprayed hair w/ lotta body setting,beyond zone frizz zapper, and motion nourish leave in conditioner, Before each roller I put a dab of africa's best herbal oil (had some lavender oil mixed that in there) Set turned out perfect loved it. Wish I had a camera to show off:perplexed Please believe I will have one very soon can't wait to show everyone!!!

tdwillis

Thank you!:blush:

Lets see if I can describe it : (the front is in pulled back w/ a headband)

I do a mohawk, then clip the loose hair on each side of my hair to keep it out of the way.

I roll the mohawk back--making sure the parts are not too thick or too much hair is on the roller.

I begin rolling (like 3 turns) then pull us as if tightening the hair, roll, roll, roll--tighten.

I roll the mohawk back and the sides down.

Then--sit under my Sally's dryer. When completely dry I separate each curl and kinda massage or finger scalp to hid the parts and make it fuller.

HTH!

I bought her DVD and then tweaked it to fit what I like re: my hair. (ex. rolling the sides down instead of up)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgJs_Iqm91c

Thank you so much. I am going to give it another try this weekend.

soulie

Did I ever officially join this? I meant to! I'll start on Saturday when I get home.

[IMG]http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m299/singlesoul_1999/0108length.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited:

TrendySocialite

Lovely rollersets. I might do one tomorrow, if not, I will definitely do one over the weekend.

I do the modified mohawk as well. The easiest way to learn to rollerset.

Happy Rollersetting!

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I'm in!!! I'll be rollersetting twice a week with gray rollers. I may throw in a flexi rod set every now and then.

For products, I use GVP Conditioner or Salerm 21 b5 as a leave in. For serums, I use GVP Smoothing Serum, CHI SI or Silken Child serum. Sometimes I'll mix them together for different results :) After rollersetting, I apply a little Black N Sassy Shine Cream and then do a silk wrap. Loverly :grin: