90 Day Roller Setting Challenge 2009

TrendySocialite

I think I'm gonna rollerset tonight. Although I really want to just flat iron and wear my hair stick straight this weekend. I think I'm going to use my largest rollers and saran wrap.

ayoung

Thats why I wanted to use my larger rollers!---to get a sleeker look instead of curly--I wanna see some length :look:....but, I ended up using my same size and went for curly.

It is FRIGID here w/ -20 windchills and minus zero temps so I'm gonna stick this style out longer----even though I want to change it up---I think my hair will be happier in the long run :yep:--especially my sometimey ends :rolleyes:

Ar, plz post pics of ur saran wrap!

I was just thinking about those! I want to try to perfect them in the spring/summer :yep:

I think I'm gonna rollerset tonight. Although I really want to just flat iron and wear my hair stick straight this weekend. I think I'm going to use my largest rollers and saran wrap.

Mo96

I reset last night.

Applied diluted shampoo with applicator bottle
DC'd for an hour w/ no heat (was watching 24)
Set with setting lotion mix (water, lacio lacio, EVOO, drop of peppermint oil)
Sat under dryer for about 1.5 hours

Here are some pics...

Size rollers I used...

Hair after dried

Styled

It was supposed to be this hairstyle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7HwsCMGCvw&feature=channel_page

But I think it looks more like this (at least the front did)

That turned out really nice!!!!!

DaDragonPrincess

How far post relaxer are you guys? I find it so difficult to rollerset as I get further into my stretch (I'm 13 weeks post now)....

The picture in my siggie, I think I was in my 8th week and that was my roller set results,it was so bouncy and silky, and now i'm on 10, I want to join this challenge, because I love roller setting:yep:

TrendySocialite

Rollersetting tonight...doing a rollerwrap

Here's what I did/am doing:
  • Pre-poo'd with condish and oil (hour)
  • Diluted wash (applied diluted shampoo with color applicator bottle) and co-washed
  • DC'd with heat using CPR Protein by Motions (hour--under dryer now)
  • Rollerset using Buildable Beauty's anchoring method (first time trying this)
  • Hood Dry
  • Wrap and cover with scarf
Hoping for a bouncy, swangin' wrap tomorrow!

I'll let you know how it goes...

ayoung

Ar,

I asked in the other thread but didn't get a response (don't think)....

What is the difference you (will) see w/ using BB's rollersetting anchor method?

OK

Moisture DCd overnight. Rollerset this morning. Same size rollers, wearing it curly---and BORED! This is the only year I have gone so long (19 days so far :lol:) and STUCK with my challenges. This one, so far, is the hardest :lol:

But--it is so good for my hair (I hope). Haven't used any heat, no ponytail holders (the debil!) and haven't been combing! *woot* Good challenge :yep:

TrendySocialite

Here is the result of last night's rollerset using the anchoring method...

Overall, this type of rollersetting would work...I clearly need more practice. It took me over an hour to set (20 min longer than usual) and some rollers weren't as tight as they should be (at least on the sides).

Next time I'm going to try with a smaller roller to see if I get a bit more curl. The size I used gave me a lot of body...which isn't all bad.

Excuse the bare face and PJs...LOL

ayoung

what's the diff in using the anchor method vs. the regular way you've been using??

looks cute--nice & sleek :yep:

TrendySocialite

what's the diff in using the anchor method vs. the regular way you've been using??

looks cute--nice & sleek :yep:

I was using the snap on part of the roller and so I had lots of creases. Wasn't that bad if I wore it curly but not good with the roller wrap. I've always wanted to learn to roll like that, but just thought I never would and would have to get used to creases. With this challenge it should get better, with rollersetting so much.

PAPRIKA

I was using the snap on part of the roller and so I had lots of creases. Wasn't that bad if I wore it curly but not good with the roller wrap. I've always wanted to learn to roll like that, but just thought I never would and would have to get used to creases. With this challenge it should get better, with rollersetting so much.

Have you tried securing with duck-bill clips intead of the regular roller clasps for a sleeker look? Just be certain meta isn't touching skin if you are going to using a hot dryer.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Well guys, I've had 2 failed flexi rod sets and one successful rollerset. I'm exactly 7 weeks post today and I'm having issues getting my roots straight. I just can't get a hang of blowing my roots out so I opted for the flat iron this time. I'll try blowing out my roots again next time

TrendySocialite

Have you tried securing with duck-bill clips intead of the regular roller clasps for a sleeker look? Just be certain meta isn't touching skin if you are going to using a hot dryer.

No never tried duck-bills, this was my first time doing this method. Don't know if metal was touching my skin, but I experienced no burning, so I think everything is all good.

ayoung

I'm 6 and beginning to struggle :sad: My last rollerset lasted all of 2 days...was looking a MESS! :nono:

So today--I pinned it into a bun. (still looking a mess :lol:)

I was thinking of flatironing the roots like you but was trying to stay away from ALL heat other than the hooded.

*sigh* IDK, rambling.....I don't want to leave the challenge, I don't want to relax yet,---but I don't want to look a mess either:wallbash:

/rant over :ohwell:

I'll post later when I figure out what to do

Well guys, I've had 2 failed flexi rod sets and one successful rollerset. I'm exactly 7 weeks post today and I'm having issues getting my roots straight. I just can't get a hang of blowing my roots out so I opted for the flat iron this time. I'll try blowing out my roots again next time

TrendySocialite

I'm 6 and beginning to struggle :sad: My last rollerset lasted all of 2 days...was looking a MESS! :nono:

So today--I pinned it into a bun. (still looking a mess :lol:)

I was thinking of flatironing the roots like you but was trying to stay away from ALL heat other than the hooded.

*sigh* IDK, rambling.....I don't want to leave the challenge, I don't want to relax yet,---but I don't want to look a mess either:wallbash:

/rant over :ohwell:

I'll post later when I figure out what to do

Awwwww....I totally understand how you feel but don't give up.

Do you roll your hair at night? I pretty much roll mine with satin rollers every night when I wear it curly.

Does the saran wrap method work for you? If so, you could do that and that way you won't have to re-roll right now.

ayoung

Well--i'm gonna stick to what I know. I always get antsy arond 6 weeks post b/c I begin to not know what to do with my hair.

I set it on larger rollers--and TRIED to saran wrap (again). I already knew I couldn't and don't like how my hair comes out bbuuttt....did it anyway. :thumbsdown:

Then I did a braidout....bad idea when you have to put your hood on and off all day on the campus....so I put it in a loose pony tail.

Got home..CW and rollerset like I've been doing for this challenge. This is what I am going to stick with!!! A member here rollerset throughout her transition and her hair looked good---so I need to suck it up and work with my little 6 weeks post :lol:

So---still on the challenge with you guys!

TrendySocialite

So I co-washed and reset my hair last night. But this time I wanted to try it using just water to set. I usually use a setting lotion mix. All other things were equal, but my roller wrap didn't come out nearly as well as I'd like...so bad that I refuse to post pics...LOL

So I'm at work debating whether or not I'm going to reset tonight when I get home.

Lesson learned: I need more than water to set my hair.

ayoung

:yep: Hey, at least now u know :look: Ur mix sounds good--i may try adding my silk to my rollersets.

OK---ayurvedic CW, DC for 15 min w/ heat. Rollerset. But NTM on the newgrowth of each part---hopes that helps w/ keeping it behaving :lol: If it doesn't work work I'm going to try HS 14-1 next time.

I'm not dry yet---so i'll update how that went with my next rollerset check in.

TrendySocialite

How's it going ladies?

I'm actually getting into a bit of a groove with rollersetting now.

It's 4:15 am and I'm under the dryer. I was awakened by a phone call and couldn't go back to sleep, so I decided to do my hair. I was going to get up early and do it anyway.

I shampooed with diluted shampoo then co-washed. but in leave-in and chi silk infusion and nairobi wrap foam. set with me regular setting mix, not just water. still using anchor method, set is tighter this time but i still need to get faster. i seem to be too worried about perfect parts or something. after it was set, spray with silk elements heat protectant. will be under dryer for another hour. hopefully this set will turn out better than sunday's.

Ladies do not stone me I haven't set my hair in one week. I have been so busy I am going to push myself so I can get back on track!!!! I will set today and Sunday.

TrendySocialite

Ladies do not stone me I haven't set my hair in one week. I have been so busy I am going to push myself so I can get back on track!!!! I will set today and Sunday.

No one is gonna stone you...I'm just getting to the point that I can't stand it if my hair smells or if it starts losing it's wrap...LOL

I can't believe I'm actually wearing my hair like this and somewhat liking it...LOL

I can tell a difference in the texture of my hair though. It's getting thicker, feeling a bit stronger and I'm now 6 weeks post.

ayoung

Rollerset last night.

CW w/ Alma and CO.
DC w/o heat 1 hour
Leave in of VO5 S&C and NTM

Didnt do anything w/ my newgrowth this time---the NTM didn't really make a differ. and the rollersetting in itself is keeping it stretched. 7 weeks post

I MIGHT be using heat in a month for my Birthday :woot: I want to have sleek and sexy hair :look:

QUESTION:
So, we are supposed to post pics around the first of each month of the challenge....is this a rollerset pic, wet length pic, or any pic?

TrendySocialite

Rollerset last night.

CW w/ Alma and CO.
DC w/o heat 1 hour
Leave in of VO5 S&C and NTM

Didnt do anything w/ my newgrowth this time---the NTM didn't really make a differ. and the rollersetting in itself is keeping it stretched. 7 weeks post

I MIGHT be using heat in a month for my Birthday :woot: I want to have sleek and sexy hair :look:

QUESTION:
So, we are supposed to post pics around the first of each month of the challenge....is this a rollerset pic, wet length pic, or any pic?

I think it would be nice to see a comparison pic. Like one taken at the beginning of the challenge and one taken mid February (that will be half way) and one taken at the end. Just to show growth, if any.

TrendySocialite

I am under the dryer again...LOL A little earlier this time though. But because it's taking so long to dry my hair now, I'll be under here for about 2 hours, probably 2.5.

Anywhoo, I washed with diluted shampoo, and gave myself a much needed homegrown steam treatment for an hour. I haven't DC'd in a week or more. So I felt like I really needed it, plus the more weeks post I am the less manageable my hair gets. The steam treatment helps.

So I have time to surf and relax while my hair dries. Then I'll wrap and catch some zzzz's.

Happy Rollersetting this week!