Addicted to frequent trimming (no trimming challenge)

Lilmama1011

I took a little and I mean a little of the front because I notice with it wet it didn't look right so I did it soaking wet and it looks better with just that little bit off. I promise no more. At least I told you right?....: runs out:

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I took a little and I mean a little of the front because I notice with it wet it didn't look right so I did it soaking wet and it looks better with just that little bit off. I promise no more. At least I told you right?....: runs out:

Why am I just now seeing this lol...

Okay only if it was just a little :)

krissyc39

I'll lurk. Don't want to join because I'm not sure I'm up for the challenge lol. I have a personal challenge to go as long as possible without trimming... its only been 2 months but I can already tell its going to take work!

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I'll lurk. Don't want to join because I'm not sure I'm up for the challenge lol. I have a personal challenge to go as long as possible without trimming... its only been 2 months but I can already tell its going to take work!

2 months is gr8! You are doing good so far I think.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I'm in a sew in and thank goodness so I have no choice but not to trim. Going to try to keep it in for 3 months lol.

Lilmama1011

It's funny I found this thread because I literally just wrote about why frequent trimming isn't necessary for healthy hair. It was hard for me to kick my trimming habit as well so stay strong ladies :)

http://naturalinlondon.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/real-talk-trimming.html

I seriously wish I could simply rely on finger detangling. I found after finger detangling before washing and detangling while washing with conditioner and a seamless comb under running water, I missed a lot of shedded hair with my fingers

Last edited:

NatRel

I seriously wish I could simply rely on finger detangling. I found after finger detangling before washing and detangling while washing with conditioner and a seamless comb under running water, I missed a lot of shredded hair with my fingers

Sorry, I never knew you responded to me!

I have dense hair and very very small coils so combing (even with seamless combs) was/is very damaging to my hair and also very difficult. Since my curls don't clump together combing can take as long as finger detangling for me.

How have you been finger detangling? The only way that really works for me is this. On dry hair I use a conditioner with LOTS of slip. This is key. A lot of conditioners that people claimed to have slip don't for me so finger detangling didn't really work for me until I found one that really did. So I apply to conditioner to the section, and then finger detangle thoroughly and then twist or braid that section. When I go to wash my hair, I wash (using a clay based cleanser) my scalp on with my hair still in a twist or braid. If one of the twists or braids unravel, then I'll retwist under the shower stream to ensure it stays detangled. The once I'm done washing I blot with a tshirt and leave my hair to air dry. When it's about 70% dry then I'll apply my leave in and sealant by taking down a twist, applying and then retwisting. And then let it dry completely. This is the only way my hair stays detangled. I never wet my hair loose because it just makes my hair tangle more.

Here's a vid of how I detangle http://youtu.be/ntrjTDYZ_FE (skip to like 3:40 for the part where I start finger detangling) I plan on doing an update on finger detangling soon, but I have literally solely finger detangled for two years and it is the one thing that made the biggest difference in my length retention. Because combing always broke the ends of my hair and caused tonnes of splits :(

Wow this has turned into an essay but I hope it was at least a bit useful to you!

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
How are you ladies doing? I took my sew in out after a week. Couldn't get to my scalp! I'm not going to trim if I can help it until the end of December reveals...wish me luck lol. I have my hair braided down as I'm back to wigging it. I'm contemplating trying the sew in again but not sure. I even saved my place in the sew in challenge but again unsure.

Lilmama1011

I'm doing fine, I think my ends look fine as well. I keep it in a simple protective style, pulled to the back in a ponytail with ends tucked and a clip. I wet daily, moisturizer with a light and heavier moisturizer and seal

Lilmama1011

I'm not going to lie, I fantasize about my trimesterly dusting, but I will stick to fantasizing. I also hope I won't have to dust at all because it looks that good but I will do it for maintenance anyway. I am a true believer of never let it get bad to do something about it, maintain the good by taking care of it before it gets bad

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I'm not going to lie, I fantasize about my trimesterly dusting, but I will stick to fantasizing. I also hope I won't have to dust at all because it looks that good but I will do it for maintenance anyway. I am a true believer of never let it get bad to do something about it, maintain the good by taking care of it before it gets bad

That is so ture and that's what scares me about not dusting or light trim until December. I will play it by ear.

Lilmama1011

I have 3 weeks and 2 days for a dusting :look: when my hair got tangled this Friday I was so tempted to dust or trim but even though I lost a lot of hair, it doesn't look like it effected my ends

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I'm glad you resisted...I haven't trimmed so still going strong as well. I'm hopefully going to get a sew in soon so that should help tremedously. Out of sight out of mind lol.

Lilmama1011

I was so close to dusting just now. I had put my conditioner in that had so much slip a fine teeth comb was sliding right through. And I saw it was slightly off and I just kept combing trying to calm my self down and say "you have 3 more weeks. Your ends aren't breaking so you can wait" Also that since the hair doesn't grow evenly all around, "maybe you have more newgrowth which is shrinking certain parts and maybe you might have to trim even less when you get a fresh relaxer and then could could more of a blunt cut and Also your four sections aren't parted evenly " that last part saved me. But I did find two ssk and cut them though. It's crazy I'm relaxed and get them but I do wear my hair majority curly

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
That's good you were able to convince yourself not to trim unnecessarily. Don't trim unless you have to and plus 3 weeks isn't that far away. You are almost there. I was supposed to do my sew in today to hide my hair but being lazy. Think I'm going to start on it in a bit though...maybe lol. Haven't thought about trimming so that's good. Dk how long it will last though bc I know how I am and will eventually think my ends needs trimming as long as my hair is out.

Lilmama1011

That's good you were able to convince yourself not to trim unnecessarily. Don't trim unless you have to and plus 3 weeks isn't that far away. You are almost there. I was supposed to do my sew in today to hide my hair but being lazy. Think I'm going to start on it in a bit though...maybe lol. Haven't thought about trimming so that's good. Dk how long it will last though bc I know how I am and will eventually think my ends needs trimming as long as my hair is out.

Well put your hair up asap!!!!!!!

Lilmama1011

I'm feeling a little iffy about my ends. I think I experienced more growth this month and if so it's from inversion finally and I don't know if that makes my ends look thinner or is it actually thinner from the acv rinse that tangled and matted my hair. I hope it is the first one. I was so close to dusting a bit off but I have two more weeks I can wait for when I relax. I was combing it with conditioner on so it will weigh my new growth down and I was about to snip and I said "no, suppose it looks better after a relaxer"