After 4 Failed Loc Attemps, The Loose Napps Are Back (Lots o' Pics!)

CocoGlow

:wave:Hey Everyone! I'm Back!

For those that don't know me I've been natural since July '06 and used to post here often and on other hair forums however, I have not been posting here for a while mainly b/c I started my LOC journey a year ago and let's be honest, this site is more suited for loose natural & relaxed/texlaxed divas :look: ....I have been lurking though :grin: ...

I am excited to reveal my newly unleashed loose napps to you all!

I just took down my locs a few weeks ago..they were in for 6 months and prior to this last set I had 3 (yes 3!) other loc attempts within a 1 year time frame (Sisterlocks + Backcombed Locs + Loc Extensions + my last set 2-Strand Twist traditional Locs) ... I also had a 3 yr stint w/ small traditional locs back in college a few years ago!! :rolleyes: ...

Why all this drama w/ locs? you ask :nuts:

Well to put it in a nutshell I guess I'm a perfectionist and I was never truly content with each set...for some sets it took longer to come to the conclusion than others :wallbash:...but I will say my 1st set back in college was the nicest and IF I ever decide to loc again, I will try to replicate them, I'll just be much more knowledgeable about how to care for them ...

How did I take them out? you ask

I used mainly water and some conditioner to take my locs down and I used my FINGERS :blush: .. it took 1 week .. some were more loc'ed & mature than others .. I maintained my locs by interlocing and twisting so I will say that taking down interloced sections were more time consuming (something to think about for those of you who are/plan to interloc) ...

Ok Blah Blah Blah...Where are the pics you promised? you ask LOL!!

Here is a little trip down memory lane ....some pics of my crazy loc journey & my newly unleashed loose napps ENJOY!! (click pics to enlarge):

TEENY TINY SISTERLOCKS (KEPT THEM FOR 7 MONTHS) :nono:

BACKCOMBED LOCS (KEPT THEM FOR 1 WEEK) :nono:

LOC EXTENSIONS (KEPT THEM FOR 24HRS) :blush: :nono:

2-STRAND TWIST TRADITIONAL LOCS (KEPT FOR 6 MONTHS) :nono:

COUNTLESS HEADWRAPS THROUGHOUT THE JOURNEY! :spinning:

NOW: UNLEASHED LOOSE NAPPS ARE BACK IN EFFECT! :yep: :woot:

For more pics and detailed reasons why I've decided to Loc & then UnLoc SOOO many times & all the drama in between check out my photo album + journal listed in my siggy below!!!

Last edited:

Pooks

Piccies, yay! Phew, you've put yourself and your hair through alot... Can I ask why the extension locs only lasted 24 hours?

Theresamonet

I liked the loc extensions, very shiny and full. Why only 24hrs? And you shoooollllll do know how to rock a head wrap girl.:yep:

ETA: If you ever do loc again you should maybe revisit the loc extensions. They looked REALLY good on you.

Last edited:

CocoGlow

LOL you guys like the extensions???!!! so funny to me...but thanks :grin:

well I got rid of them for several reasons:

* They were too perfect..if that makes sense..the shine (not sheen) was sooo unrealistic..I felt self-conscious especially around those w/ "real" locs

* The stylist put too much hair on each loc so I knew that my roots would definitely not grow in as thick as the extensions which would not only look bad but cause stress on my hair and possible damage to my scalp (traction alopecia)

* The extensions held water like nobody's business...she spritzed them with water after she finished and they were still damp the next day as I was taking them out (unfortunately I read about this issue w/ loc extensions AFTER I got them installed)

sooo I couldn't take it and I prefered to take them down before all my friends/family saw me with them only to be confused days later LOL :spinning:

Last edited:

CocoGlow

I liked the loc extensions, very shiny and full. Why only 24hrs? And you shoooollllll do know how to rock a head wrap girl.:yep:

ETA: If you ever do loc again you should maybe revisit the loc extensions. They looked REALLY good on you.

Thanks!! Can you believe I loved the headwraps on ME more than the locs! I was in love w/ all the color combos that I tried...I'll definitely continue to rock the wraps... locs or no locs :grin:

angenoir

Thanks for sharing this. My sister is thinking of locking her hair and I will share this thread with her.

Pooks

LOL you guys like the extensions???!!! so funny to me...but thanks :grin:

well I got rid of them for several reasons:

* They were too perfect..if that makes sense..the shine (not sheen) was sooo unrealistic..I felt self-conscious especially around those w/ "real" locs

* The stylist put too much hair on each loc so I knew that my roots would definitely not grow in as thick as the extensions which would not only look bad but cause stress on my hair and possible damage to my scalp (traction alopecia)

OK, I totally understand, especially on the 2nd bolded part. They do really look good in picture-theory though...

Thanks!! Can you believe I loved the headwraps on ME more than the locs! I was in love w/ all the color combos that I tried...I'll definitely continue to rock the wraps... locs or no locs :grin:

I love me some headwraps! I need to take more pics of them, I wear them pretty much every weekend:

CocoGlow

Thanks for sharing this. My sister is thinking of locking her hair and I will share this thread with her.

No problemo...I'm glad that my crazy journey can help someone...

I do LOVE locs (just in case it appears that I'm bashing locs b/c they did not work for me this time/these times LOL) and this journey has revealed a lot about myself that I did not know...

If your sister happens to be very particular about how her hair looks she needs to do LOTS of research and not act on emotion like I did several times .. I thought I knew what I was doing but in reality I was jumping in head first and payed for it (literally...Sisterlocks & Loc Extensions are not cheap :nono:)

Some people are not as particular as I am and enjoy the journey as a "whatever happens" type deal, and to me that sounded great but being true to myself I realized that was not ok...also some people who are particular like I am are just fortunate to get it right the first time and not go through all the drama :drunk:

CocoGlow

OK, I totally understand, especially on the 2nd bolded part. They do really look good in picture-theory though...

I love me some headwraps! I need to take more pics of them, I wear them pretty much every weekend:

That pic is really cute girl ... headwraps are such a great accessory .. some people view them as just a way to cover up on bad hair days but they can be creative styles you wear on PURPOSE!

BTW I just LOVE your hair Pookiwah (siggy pics & fotki are gorgeous)..

Good luck! I have a feeling you will return to the loc attempt! :) I just cut my locs after growing them for 9 years - just wanted a change!

Pooks

That pic is really cute girl ... headwraps are such a great accessory .. some people view them as just a way to cover up on bad hair days but they can be creative styles you wear on PURPOSE!

BTW I just LOVE your hair Pookiwah (siggy pics & fotki are gorgeous)..

:blush: Thanks babe!

CocoGlow

Good luck! I have a feeling you will return to the loc attempt! :) I just cut my locs after growing them for 9 years - just wanted a change!

WOW 9 yrs...I visited your album ..they were gorgeous! You look fierce w/ the BC...not many women can pull off the BIG BIG chop like you..just gorgeous!

I MAY revisit locs once my hair is much longer so the crazy shrinkage doesn't get to me...but for now I'm enjoying the loose napps :yep:

angenoir

And you've inspired me to revisit headwraps... I am not very good at tying them. I am always unsure about the position at forehead, ears in or out, how to tie up the back etc... lol

CocoGlow

And you've inspired me to revisit headwraps... I am not very good at tying them. I am always unsure about the position at forehead, ears in or out, how to tie up the back etc... lol

Thanks!!

There are so many ways to wrap .. try typing in "headwraps" on youtube, I'm sure there are plenty of tutorials....for me it was trial & error..

I think face shape determines the way one should wrap...I tend to like mine pushed back showing some of my hairline...I also noticed that most hairstyles that I like on me have hair going back in the front...so if you usually like bangs you might like the wrap on your forhead like my second to last headwrap pic ... some also look good w/ height (ex: Erika Badu)

Most people leave the ears out...I find that my ears hurt if I wrap covering my ears so I always leave them out..

I also find that the material you use matters! I love the cottton weave w/ stretch ... this is perfect for headwraps b/c the stretch allows you to manuever it easily and the cotton weave keeps you cool in the heat & thicker cotton weave keeps you warm in the cold PLUS the cotton stretch keeps the wrap on your head instead of lycra type fabrics that tend to slip and other cotton fabrics w/ no give...

I bought my wraps at a local store in NYC, but you can purchase the thin & thick stretchable cotton weave wraps in soooo many colors here: http://rastaheadwraps.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=c66c427af84f1b042b3a70b4bc8877b6

Hope This Helps!!

ETA: The last 2 headwrap pics (turqoise & black) were done w/ lycra + regular cotton fabric & this was much more difficult to wrap & less comfy than the other wraps...but it was so cute I dealt with it...but I would really recommend the cotton stretchy weave..there is no lycra or spandex in it, it just stretches naturally...

Last edited:

nikki2229

NappyRina, I loved all of your styles. Thanks for explaining why you took out the extension locs because I did think that they looked great on you. I wish I knew how to wear a head wrap. I hope you enjoy your loose natural hair for a while. Keep us posted with some pictures.

anon123

Rina! You always disappear on us when you lock. See, this is exactly why I won't lock. I know for sure I'd take them down in a short time. I like your 1st and 4th set, though. And I can't believe you took them down with your fingers in 1 week. :blush:

CocoGlow

NappyRina, I loved all of your styles. Thanks for explaining why you took out the extension locs because I did think that they looked great on you. I wish I knew how to wear a head wrap. I hope you enjoy your loose natural hair for a while. Keep us posted with some pictures.

Thanks sis!.....the tutorials on youtube should really help ..if you get the fabric, try it out over & over until you get it right...that's what I did!

Rina! You always disappear on us when you lock. See, this is exactly why I won't lock. I know for sure I'd take them down in a short time. I like your 1st and 4th set, though. And I can't believe you took them down with your fingers in 1 week. :blush:

ahh TWIN I knew you'd say that ... I know.. I know I've been a bad girl..disappearing and what not but I'm back!!

I'm trying to catch up to you now and I need the inspiration sooo so forget all that I said when I was urging you to loc LOL!!

Yeah honestly my fingers were the safest option b/c when i tried to use a comb I was actually causing unneccessary breakage

Here is a comparison of when I took out my Sisterlocks using a comb for 1/2 of the take-down & then finally wiseing up to using my fingers:

Now this is how much i lost this time using only my fingers:

SCARY difference!!..my fingers were sore & numb though :spinning:

remilaku

Girlllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll! You should have stuck with the locs. This is the easiest most beautiful style (in my own opinion) I have ever had. Truly a wash and go style! If I ever lose my locs or take them down, I will loc up again!

CocoGlow

Girlllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll! You should have stuck with the locs. This is the easiest most beautiful style (in my own opinion) I have ever had. Truly a wash and go style! If I ever lose my locs or take them down, I will loc up again!

I feel you girl...it is definitely less stress maintenance wise and they are really beautiful and the creative styles are endless...it was a HUGE sigh of relief for me when I didn't have to detangle, I could just wash n' go!!

BUT I don't plan on loc'ing again until I am at a comfortable length for ME and even that is just a maybe right now!

Your locs are gorgeous BTW!! :yep:

jamaraa

Well welcome back to loose-land from loc-ville. Too bad this site is so unfriendly to locs...I wish there was more loc knowledge here, but oh well.

Your head wraps are adorable I must say!

jamaraa

You must be lonely here cuz I can't think of too many sisters w' locks. You're a stylist I see...I checked out your site am I'm amazed at how many styles you do for natural hair. I wish I lived closer to you. LOL..it would be lovely to go to a salon for a change.

Last edited:

jamaraa

NappyRina When you got the sisterlocs why didn't you like them? Unless you watch YouTube (and learn the tricks on maintence) they seem way too expensive to maintain. As small as they are, it seems they'd have to be married quite soon. Did you find yourself doing that or did you get rid of them before that time came?

You have my admiration for being able o take them out and have a hair left on your head! ;)

CocoGlow

Well welcome back to loose-land from loc-ville. Too bad this site is so unfriendly to locs...I wish there was more loc knowledge here, but oh well.

Your head wraps are adorable I must say!

Thanks girl I love those wraps!

I too wish there was more love for locs over here ... seems like NP is one of the only sites where there is a big loc community...I have some ideas as to WHY but I won't go there now LOL

Welcome back! :bouncy:

Thanks for the warm welcome back sis!!! :grin:

CocoGlow

NappyRina When you got the sisterlocs why didn't you like them? Unless you watch YouTube (and learn the tricks on maintence) they seem way too expensive to maintain. As small as they are, it seems they'd have to be married quite soon. Did you find yourself doing that or did you get rid of them before that time came?

You have my admiration for being able o take them out and have a hair left on your head! ;)

The SLs were very pretty BUT there were waaay too many on my head .. I think I had more than most people and due to the density of my hair it would have been impossible for me to keep up with the maintenance...I actually did not want them that small but hey...

My installation took 40 (yes 40!!) hours over 3 days and my 6-8 week maintenance took 8hrs!!! CRAZY compared to the experience of others w/ SLs .. my consultant was fast too which really tells me there were way too many locs on my head ...she said her other clients were usually in & out within 4-5hrs MAX... the idea of doing my own maintenance made me freak out and I was not going to depend on a consultant forever ... so they had to go...

It took me 3 weeks to take them out .. they were not fully loc'd yet which made it easier but the amount of them drove me crazy...I wanted to just shave my head to get rid of them already but I knew I would regret that something fierce!! so I took my time & wore headwraps throughout the whole 3 weeks until they were all out...

They were cute though huh :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Daughter

UK Blak
Ooooh your hair is beautiful! And the wraps - lovely. You're making me wanna go find some more cloth :)

I tried to lock about 1.5 years ago but gave up rather early on and cut them out... maybe one day!