ALL 8+ Week Stretchers..What 3-5 Products Help You Stretch A LONG, LONG Time?

soulie

Frequent cowashing with WEN cleansing conditioner; my moisturizer of choice is a mix of Qhemet AOHC and Olive and Honey Balm. I've mixed them in one of the 2 oz sample jars and I moisturize my new growth with it when it's still damp, then bun.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Yes, It Seems as though (in no particular order):

S-Curl
Elasta QP Mango
WEN
Aussie Moist
Henna

Are some of the Favorites for Long Term Stretches:yep:

btw: Loving the Qhemet!

Iluvsmuhgrass

1. glycerin/conditioner/water mix (magic for tangly dry new growth)
2. Lustrasilk Mango cholesterol conditioner (forgot the exact name)
3. oils (Castor, evoo, and coconut)
4. HE's LTR (Herbal Essence Long Term Relationship leave in)
5. Random gentle gels for hold around the edges when I'm wearing my hair up.

Kellum

I did my first 15 week stretch with great success. I really didn't have any problems at all.

1. Protein DC's with: MT and Keraphix weekly and monthly Emergence treatments

2. Moisturizing DC's with: Back to Basics Honey Hydrating and Salon Care Honey Almond conditioners

3. Oils for sealing and to remove shed hair/ finger de-tangle. I use coconut and castor oil together to seal. It leaves my hair very soft.
I apply Vatika and coconut oil to my hair and then finger de-tangle/ remove shed hair. The shed hairs glide out without getting tangled on other hair. This is a life saver.

4. Spritzing with my Ayurveda tea, moisturizing with my water leave in mix and sealing.

5. Leaving my hair alone. I wore my KS instant weave and it was a God send for my hair. It allowed me to manipulate my hair only once a week when I would do my full regimen.

The most important thing I've learned it to just Listen to your hair and be patient!!!

ETA: I just started hennaing and it leaves my hair so soft and strong. I know for sure this will help me in my stretches.

Last edited:

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
The longest I've ever stretched was 13 weeks and it was hard indeed.

I find that rinsing daily with water and WEN, with weekly Ovation treatments, allowed me do it that long. And of course, wearing my hair pinned up in a protective style was the only way I could do it.

I have been stretching to 12 weeks, but I really want to get to stretch longer, say 6 months or just go natural.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
^^^^^^^^

IA: For Me, That Weekly Infusion of some sort of Protein...Balanced with Moisture, of Course, was essential in getting me successfully to 16 weeks.

That Weekly Reconstructor at about 12-16 was "A Must" for My Hair.:yep:

wannabelong

Pantene Relax and Natural Mask
Aphogee 2 Minute Reconstructor
Silk Elements Silken Child moisturizer
Coconut oil

JenBenCal

I am relatively new to stretching and, so far, am only 6 weeks post, but I can say what I've been using up until this point! :)

Elasta QP Mango Butter: I know the formula changed but, maybe it's just because I'm too dense to notice, I can't tell the difference between the new brand and the old formula. Actually, the only difference I see is that the new brand seemed a lot creamier when I opened it! My old brand seemed very thick, but this new stuff is like whipped goodness in a jar :)

NTM Silk Touch: a Godsend. I'm finding that, possibly due to over-processing, my hair gets very dry after washing/cond/air drying (not just the NG). NTM really helps give it nice moisture without being too greasy. For a while I was using ORS Olive Oil but I just felt like it weighed my hair down too much, even when I only used a reasonable amt!

Aphogee 2 Min Recon: Yeah, amazing-ness in a bottle. I'm using it once a week on wash days.

NTM Daily Deep Cond/Suave Humectant: These are both amazing conditioners and I love them both to the core :). I might have to give that Aussie Moist a try though, since it's getting such great results!

Mrs.Green

What helps me with stretching is:

A good deep conditioner to soften the new growth - I use Silicon Mix
A good leave-in to detangle - I use Lacio Lacio or Silicon Mix leave-in

My number one thing that's not necessarily a product its - HEAT :duck:. I can stretch longer when I rollerset or blow dry my roots. The heat from the dryer straightens my new growth allowing it to be more managable. :yep: When I co-wash in my later weeks my roots are too curly to deal with.

deborah11

NTM Silk Touch: My Holy Grail.

Shescentit Banana Brulee & Fortifying Masque.

Hairveda Strinillah.

Shescentit Seyani Hair Butter.
Coconut Cream Concentrate (dramatically loosens NG)

HTH

Where do you buy coconut cream concentrate from?

locabouthair

You know what the only product that helped was s curl. but what helped me even more was leaving my hair alone. I can stretch for 12 weeks wearing a half wig and not combing my hair every day. Also the longer I stretch I notice I need to wash my hair at leats one a week. Waiting too long to wash when I'm stretching causing tangles and knots for me. But low manipulation really helps me.

panamoni

Great thread!

I'm 19 weeks post, and something I started doing about two weeks ago every day, sometimes twice a day, is finger parting my entire head and applying Hairveda's Whipped Cream to my new growth only. Then moisturizing my whole head with Elasta QP H2 leave-in, then sealing with EVCO then JBCO. I make sure the JBCO seals the entire strand from NG to the ends. My hair stays super soft and the NG lays flat all day.

Of course I do the other stuff too: dc'ing at least 2x a week, testing my hair to see if it needs moisture or protein (Aphogee 2min). Salerm 21 is my go to leave-in after every wash. ACV rinses after each wash makes detangling a breeze.

LushLox

Hmm the coconut cream sounds good. I sometimes buy whole coconuts and use the meat for my west indian rice and peas dishes. I may use some for my hair; process it down and maybe use it as a prepoo. :scratchch

Bluetopia

NTM Silk Touch: My Holy Grail.

Shescentit Banana Brulee & Fortifying Masque.

Hairveda Strinillah.

Shescentit Seyani Hair Butter.
Coconut Cream Concentrate (dramatically loosens NG)

HTH

I have some coconut cream concentrate....how do you use it on your NG?

This is my first major stretch. I'm going for 12 weeks so that I can relax only four times a year. Prior to finding this site, I'd do a stretch of 8 weeks.

Right now, I'm using the following to help me:

1. Oils (Coconut and Castor)
2. Mane 'N Tail Original Shampoo
3. Aphogee 2-Min for my protein
4. Mane 'N Tail Deep Moisturizing Conditioner
5. Neutrogena Triple Moisture Leave-In Cream

So far, I'm entering my 9th week. My hair is still manageable. I'm canceling my hair appointment (I thought I'd only do 9 weeks) for this week. My stylist won't be happy; but, I will.

MrsSmitty77

Right now I am at 9 weeks and I am comfortably streching using JBCO on the NG and Worlds of curls activator. I am dC with heat.

spelmanlocks

Mane N Tail Detangler and Isoplus Braid and Twist Unlock help me to stretch to 14 weeks. I use Mane N Tail detangler daily when my new growth starts to become difficult and Isoplus Braid and Twist Unlock on wash day to detangle.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Mane N Tail Detangler and Isoplus Braid and Twist Unlock help me to stretch to 14 weeks. I use Mane N Tail detangler daily when my new growth starts to become difficult and Isoplus Braid and Twist Unlock on wash day to detangle.

How Are You Using this? I have this too. I was using it to Co-Wash with, and I really loved it for that, but I guess I shoulda' been using it for it's detangling properties uh?:look:

spelmanlocks

How Are You Using this? I have this too. I was using it to Co-Wash with, and I really loved it for that, but I guess I shoulda' been using it for it's detangling properties uh?:look:

Are you using the Detangler spray or the conditioner? I ask because you said you use it to co-wash and I can't really see the spray as a good co-wash because its watery in comparison to a conditioner. But, I am using the detangling spray, I just saturate my hair with it and finger comb my hair afterwards. I used to have bad problems with my hair matting from stetching, and this product has really helped a lot with that.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Are you using the Detangler spray or the conditioner? I ask because you said you use it to co-wash and I can't really see the spray as a good co-wash because its watery in comparison to a conditioner. But, I am using the detangling spray, I just saturate my hair with it and finger comb my hair afterwards. I used to have bad problems with my hair matting from stetching, and this product has really helped a lot with that.

I have...wait lemme go look:look:: Mane 'N Tail Moisturizer Texturizer Conditioner Can be used as a leave-in or rinse out. Works in 5 Ways

It's Yellow and Creamy.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Mine (canned) was quite a bit "thicker" than regular Coconut Milk (actually more like the consistency of Eagle Brand Milk).

I applied it all over, massaged it in and put a Plastic Cap on for awhile 30 minutes to an hour (don't remember using any heat) and rinsed really well.

Hair was incredibly " super soft" but I wasn't many weeks post. Prolly about 4-6 weeks the time or two I used it.

I didn't use it very many weeks Post tho'. So now, I will try it again like about 10-12 weeks like the other poster suggested.:yep: