anthony dickey method

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Can yal naturals post before and after if you try this?
I have actually done this every day this week. I use either honey or my Eden Bodyworks Co-wash to cleanse and KKKT as the conditioner. I use Camille Rose Curl Maker as my styler. I shake it out in the shower and I use a tee shirt to catch any drips and I use the shirt to "fluff" my curls. I call it my Kokopelli hair. I'm getting used to the look but I love the way it feels, even when it finally dries. One more thing...I do a rinse after the styler by covering the spray from the shower head with my hand and letting the water splash onto my hair gently.

Last edited:

Cattypus1

All loced up...
I tried his exact method on my 4b hair: Wet Dry Drying was not too bad. I lightly blotted the coils that framed my face with a turbie twist and went on with my day. After the first hour, my hair was no longer dripping wet. 12 hours later, my hair was still damp, but a quick blow dry fixed that. Overall this is my best WNG and I got tons of compliments. My hair is very moisturized, soft and still detangled. I'm currently wearing second day hair, which is a bit frizzy and shrunken, but still nice. Best of all, this style took about 20 minutes in the shower:grin: I'm kicking myself for not paying attention to Dickeys method before.
I love your hair. I've been doing this daily for about a week. I actually think I could get more than one day if my hair was long enough to pineapple. For now, I love water in my hair. I love jumping in the shower and letting the water run through my hair. I love the way it feels after the "method" when it's dry at the end of the day. Most of all, I love that I actually have curls...all this time and I didn't know. I can't stop touching them!

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Someone I have known for a number of years but who hasn't seen me "unrelaxed" saw me yesterday and wanted to know how I made my hair curl. She laughed when I told her what I was doing. Today I used honey as my conditioner and applied my Kinky Curly Curling Custard on top of that and my hair is super defined and super soft at the same time. Someone told me that I couldn't get defined and soft at the same time...They were WRONG!

AJellyCake

What conditioners are you all using to saturate your hair? And does anyone have tips for speeding up drying time?

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
What conditioners are you all using to saturate your hair? And does anyone have tips for speeding up drying time?
only thing that would speed up drying time would be sitting under a hooded dryer or using the blow dryer. I can't deal with wet hair all over me so I sit under the dryer.

overtherainbow

AJellyCake
I only use coney DCs, never rinse outs. So far I used Aussie Strong 3 Minute Miracle and Organix's Argan Oil Hair Masque. Both have dimethicone and melt tangles.

As for the dry time, just shake your hair excessively. My hair looked towel dry after a good shake. I also have type 4 hair that shrinks up to nothing, so I could imagine trying this on a looser texture with more hang time would be slightly annoying.

LadyRaider

I haven't been using quite as much product as I did the first time, and I'm not going as drippy wet. I've been twisting my hair up and putting a t-shirt around it while I finish getting dressed and eating breakfast. Still drippy of course, but not AS drippy!

My hair is frizzier, but so far that's okay. I don't like leaving conditioner in my hair because it either feels weird or smells weird by the evening. But the Beyond the Zone Kick Up Your Curls has worked well.

The biggest difference I'm getting is in the evening and second day hair. Generally, any wash and go I'd do, by the evening it was a hard crusted jungle. Next day was unthinkable. So far with this, I'm getting my best waves and curls the next day.

Holla

This is working for me! I am SO happy. I'm using this method to up the moisture in my hair in between flat ironing 2x this month. I tried it yesterday for the first time and loved it. My hair was straight for almost 2 weeks and this helped my curls pop back. I used poo yesterday to remove all that gunk from my scalp and used a lot of conditioner on my strands. I heavy sealed with Crisco bc I wanted to make SURE my hair would stay moisturized. I then pulled it into a loose ponytail. Today I repeated without poo. Just used Wen to cowash. Still heavy sealed. I have NEVER seen such definition in my hair naturally. NEVER! Especially in one area where it would just get puffy but not totally defined. I love this method. It's a simple tweak but really effective. :yep:

scarcity21

I tried his exact method on my 4b hair: Wet Dry Drying was not too bad. I lightly blotted the coils that framed my face with a turbie twist and went on with my day. After the first hour, my hair was no longer dripping wet. 12 hours later, my hair was still damp, but a quick blow dry fixed that. Overall this is my best WNG and I got tons of compliments. My hair is very moisturized, soft and still detangled. I'm currently wearing second day hair, which is a bit frizzy and shrunken, but still nice. Best of all, this style took about 20 minutes in the shower:grin: I'm kicking myself for not paying attention to Dickeys method before.

overtherainbow, what products did you use?

intellectualuva

Someone I have known for a number of years but who hasn't seen me "unrelaxed" saw me yesterday and wanted to know how I made my hair curl. She laughed when I told her what I was doing. Today I used honey as my conditioner and applied my Kinky Curly Curling Custard on top of that and my hair is super defined and super soft at the same time. Someone told me that I couldn't get defined and soft at the same time...They were WRONG!

Cattypus1

Did you wet your hair after using Curling Custard? How long did you leave the honey on.

I'm jealous. My curls look nothing like they do wet and certainly soft. I have cute tight separated ringlets......When it's dry its not as separated and looks dry.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Cattypus1 Did you wet your hair after using Curling Custard? How long did you leave the honey on. I'm jealous. My curls look nothing like they do wet and certainly soft. I have cute tight separated ringlets......When it's dry its not as separated and looks dry.
I do wet it but I don't spray it with the shower head, I cup my hand to block the spray from washing away the product and just do a cursory once-under to get water on it. I don't rinse the honey in this instance but I don't saturate my hair with it either. My hair seems to love honey and it's not sticky as I would have expected. I sometimes use it as my cowash and this was an experiment as my leave-in.

overtherainbow

scarcity21
I cleansed with Renpure cleansing conditioner (fake wen), and conditioned with Organix Argan Oil Mask. Then I used Studio 35 Hair gel (the yellow bottle) and sealed with EVCO. The first time around I used SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie, as a leave in, which I do not recommend because your hair would take forever to dry.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I forgot about plopping to help with sopping wet hair. I tried it today and it helped but my hair quickly soaked through the tshirt. I have a lot of hair but this might work well for shorter lengths. Wondering if a microfiber towel would mess up the curls.

EssenceOfBeauty

Hey y'all...
I tried this method with a few tweaks earlier this month...
I have tightly coiled hair with high shrinkage and of medium density.

I used diluted shampoo, DC'd heavily with 'cone free DC, applied a cup and a half of flaxseed gel and sealed with Jojoba Oil.
Unlike Anthony...I didn't use any heat to stretch for a fuller look. I just let the hair fall where it wanted.

Here is a before to show my hair length in front.

EssenceOfBeauty

LOVE YOUR HAIR! Do you get multiple days out of your wash and go?

Thank you bebezazueta ...
I did this on a Friday morning and washed it out that Sunday afternoon.

I was EXTREMELY skeptical because my hair tangles very easily. Amazingly...de-tangling went on as usual...possibly even easier. I attribute this to no finger separation or manipulation during the entire wash process to get this going.

I didn't wash sections like I usually do and I worked with with shower head...I don't how to explain it.

I haven't attempted it again...I might this Monday and shared my final impression.

bebezazueta

Thank you bebezazueta ... I did this on a Friday morning and washed it out that Sunday afternoon. I was EXTREMELY skeptical because my hair tangles very easily. Amazingly...de-tangling went on as usual...possibly even easier. I attribute this to no finger separation or manipulation during the entire wash process to get this going. I didn't wash sections like I usually do and I worked with with shower head...I don't how to explain it. I haven't attempted it again...I might this Monday and shared my final impression.

Thanks and good to know! I'm 43 weeks in to my transition and been stalking this thread.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Tried this method again but I used a strong hold gel to see if it helped. It didn't. My curls are frizzy with no hold. My hair came out too flat and this method pulls most of my curls out. Maybe it works better for tighter textures.

Marand13

I have been doing my wash & go's similar to this for years, my hair always came out great.
I would cowash every other day, leave in some conditioner , apply a little oil and gel on top and let it air dry.

I haven't done it in so long I think it ight be time for me to revisit the wash & go. :yep:

intellectualuva

Tried this method again but I used a strong hold gel to see if it helped. It didn't. My curls are frizzy with no hold. My hair came out too flat and this method pulls most of my curls out. Maybe it works better for tighter textures.

Nope. Lol.

I'm still trying, but the shrinkage is just too much. I even got under the dryer this time for a bit...better but not much. Maybe I need to add the diffuser step. My hair is just short of APL stretched. I barely clear neck length with those tiny little coils. Lol. I prefer those coils after a flat twist out.

I will say my cottony hair is less frizzy day 2 than after a twistout.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Nope. Lol. I'm still trying, but the shrinkage is just too much. I even got under the dryer this time for a bit...better but not much. Maybe I need to add the diffuser step. My hair is just short of APL stretched. I barely clear neck length with those tiny little coils. Lol. I prefer those coils after a flat twist out. I will say my cottony hair is less frizzy day 2 than after a twistout.
That's weird that you get more shrinkage and I don't get enough lol....which I never thought I would ever say in my natural life lol.

intellectualuva

Yeah. If I were into posting photos I would. My aunt saw it and gasped..asking me why I cut all my hair off. Lol. Now granted she's a drama queen, but she's right.

This last time was the best in terms of turnout because it didn't look as dry and b the curls were more defined. I put coconut oil and plastic cap on my head for an hour. I cowashed with Njoy, AO Honey Suckle Rose. I mixed Aloe Gel, EVOO and in my hand a dab of SM Curly Gel. I sat under my dryer soaking wet until 70% dry and around shoulder length. Went to bed and woke up with just between ear/neck length hair. Lol.

ETA. I am cottony fine mostly 4a...with 3c/4b mixed in....no issues with detangling. I barely see any hair between Denman or wide tooth comb. Tonight will be my 6th attempt.

Last edited:

LadyRaider

Okay this morning went pretty well.
I shampooed with ORS Aloe
Then I conditioned with SheScentit Pomegranate.
Then I added some of the Suave Keratin and didn't wash it out. I didn't use a BUNCH.
And then I used the Beyond the Zone. Again, I didn't use a lot a lot.. nothing close to shingling or anything. Three good sized globs pretty much.

Then I rewet my hair under the shower. (I was still in the shower for all of that.)

Once I got out, I applied argan oil.

Then I did kind of wring my hair out. I didn't just leave it sopping. I then wrapped it gently in a t-shirt as I continued to get ready for work.

Results... not bad. At least it wasn't drippy at all. Wet, but not drippy.

Here's a quick pic I took about an hour and a half later.

Attachments

• webcam-toy-photo2.jpg
    webcam-toy-photo2.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 172

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Tried this again but only used conditioner as a leave in. I really like the results. My curls have lots of body and they didn't get straightened out by product. Too bad I got a sore throat from the soaking wet hair being on me. I've never done well with wet hair. I'm gonna have to be sure to sit under the dryer or blow dry next time.

Attachments

• image-1132030607.jpg
    image-1132030607.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 124
  • image-3448123617.jpg
    image-3448123617.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 112