Anyone up for a Regrow your Hairline Challenge? LOL

Whimsy

I've been massaging pure virgin cocanut oil into my temples and hairline...sadly no results YET!

barbiesocialite

Hey everone, I'm a newbie but I've been lurking around on this site for a while....I'm so in on this challenge, I've actually been following it almost since the beginning. My hairline was ruined about a year and a half ago when I lived in Italy to study abroad, I ran outa hair products halfway through and couldnt find an African shop to buy more, so basically my hair became dehydrated and brittle and eventually fell out.. *sigh*

I currently have a weave but I've been using a MN mix on my hairline and nape for a lil over a month and I'm actually seeing a little progress in thickening bc my hair covers the sides of my weave much better than it used to.
My regimen:
* massage my hairline and nape twice a day with MN mix (MN, castor oil, ORS Olive Oil creme, Optimum Oil therapy)
* seal the ends with eXcelento healthy hair pomade so it blends better with my weave
* Spritz just the baby hairs of my hairline with water and mix of S-curl and leave in conditioner to soften my hair at night (so that in the morning I can use a toothbrush to flatten the hair to make them look neat)
* co-wash once a week and deep condition

Since I do my own weaves I leave a considerable amount of hair on my edges out and sew the ends of my tracks very loosely closer to the hair line to prevent breakage. I rarely brush my hair line (only 1-2x per week just to blend with hair weave), instead I just use the toothbrush to shape the edges. I also take GNC Horsetail, B-100 complex, super potency biotin, one-a-day multivitamins daily. This has been working well so far, so hopefully i can keep it up

Good luck everyone! :)

Last edited:

sherann

I am in for 2008 too! My edges and temple areas are horrible. :nono: Whenever I think about them, I actually get extreme anxiety and symptoms of a panic attack (you wish I was kidding). It's horrible. If the temples grow, the back edges break off. If the back's filling in then the front starts. Right side grows, left side doesn't.

I have started to use MN directly on my edges. I've been doing this for about 3 weeks and I think my nape is seeing some progress.

Does anyone have any theories about why the hairline is so hard to maintain? I think knowing the problem would help my anxiousness. It's just frustrating when everything is taking off except for this part of my hair.

My mini goal is to have my perimeter be 3 inches by June. Baby steps.

A former hairdresser told me it has to do with the facial products we use...we don't realize it but we wash our hairline twice a day when we wash our faces and unlike our hair we don't condition after. Then we follow up our sometimes harsh facial cleansers with toners that have alcohol in it. I believe him since the products I use on my face for my acne sometimes dry my face out, I can only imagine what they do to the edges. I'm going back to his recommendation to use a hairdressing on the edges before washing and a leave in conditioner/creamymoisturizer on them after.

R

Reslnt1

A former hairdresser told me it has to do with the facial products we use...we don't realize it but we wash our hairline twice a day when we wash our faces and unlike our hair we don't condition after. Then we follow up our sometimes harsh facial cleansers with toners that have alcohol in it. I believe him since the products I use on my face for my acne sometimes dry my face out, I can only imagine what they do to the edges. I'm going back to his recommendation to use a hairdressing on the edges before washing and a leave in conditioner/creamymoisturizer on them after.

i noticed this last year.....my hairline was really dry and would continuously break and then i realized it was b/c it was getting wet daily so i bought one of those headbands that you wash ur face with and it helped a lot..along with using a washcloth as opposed to splashingthe water on my face

Alpha Female

I'm so in the same boat as the rest of you. And my hairline seems to be getting worse the older I get. Anybody think that age may have something to do with it? I'm 38 (still young & vital as far as I'm concerned!!), but I AM getting a few grays now (evidence that I'm getting older - :wallbash:) and hair DOES typically thin the older you get.

Other than that, as I was reading everybody's posts, it just occurred to me, what do you think might happen if we didn't put any products on our hairlines or do anything special/extra to it??? Just let it do what it's gonna do?! In a way, it seems like maybe we're doing too much to an area that is already 'sensitive.' Just a thought. I'm currently using BT Balm and JBCO (and not seeing much progress yet :wallbash:), which is so maddening because the BT liquid is working GREAT on the rest of my hair!! GGGGRRRRRRRR!

RZILYNT

I can't remember if i joined this challenge.

I am still thin, but finally growing in my temples.

First thing I did this last salon service was give my edges a rest from relaxers. I get the rest relaxed but not the front hair line, wow what a difference. Instead of it looking sparse, I actually have coverage now. Nice and Nappy.

I have been using an MN mixture from the MN thread and I have been alternating with Vatika oil on my scalp and shampooing with the Shikakai bar.
Scritch my entire scalp every night before bed.

I do my normal routine after I wash, DC seal and air dry.

I really believe a combination of these things have helped. If nothing else not relaxing my front hair line made me see a huge difference. I probably wont relax that area for at least 5 more months.

For me my hair line grows in alot slower then the rest of my hair so I believe I suffered alot of chemical overlap.

The rest of my hair has benefited too, I gained 1 inch in 6 weeks...not bad.

RZ~

e$h

First thing I did this last salon service was give my edges a rest from relaxers. I get the rest relaxed but not the front hair line, wow what a difference. Instead of it looking sparse, I actually have coverage now. Nice and Nappy.

I have been using an MN mixture from the MN thread and I have been alternating with Vatika oil on my scalp and shampooing with the Shikakai bar.

I really believe a combination of these things have helped. If nothing else not relaxing my front hair line made me see a huge difference. I probably wont relax that area for at least 5 more months.

For me my hair line grows in alot slower then the rest of my hair so I believe I suffered alot of chemical overlap.

RZ~

You might be on to something. My hairline grows slow as well so overlapping could be the culprit. Gosh you're so smart:grin:

RZILYNT

e$h

I would definitely space out how often my hairline is relaxed and see if you get some results.

HHGS!!

RZ~

Valerie

I'm in as well, I need to thicken up my crown area and my sides. I have started putting castor oil, aloe vera gel and amla oil and massaging for five minutes. Twice a day.

sherann

i noticed this last year.....my hairline was really dry and would continuously break and then i realized it was b/c it was getting wet daily so i bought one of those headbands that you wash ur face with and it helped a lot..along with using a washcloth as opposed to splashingthe water on my face

I need to get some of those headbands and start using a wash cloth. Thanks for the recs:grin:

hotcoco

RZ~

I agree with the not relaxing the hairline thing. I have decided to do this also as I notice how my hairline gets worst just a few weeks after each retouch.:nono:

EMJazzy

Happily retired
I am seeing results on my right temple. I've been mixing tea tree oil gel and aloe vera gel together and applying it to my edges. The left side isn't responding at all but the right is growing in well so I'm going to continue with this for awhile and see if the left side decides to start growing.

I purchased both products at Whole Foods.

PureSilver

I THINK I'VE FOUND SOME SUCCESS AT THIS MY HAIRLINE WAS ALMOST BALD THANKS TO MTG AND WGO THEY'VE FILLED IN NICELY. I'M JUST CONTINUING TO NURTURE THEM. I'D LIKE TO BE APART OF THIS CHALLENGE I HOPE IT CAN BE EQUALS WITH THE REST OF MY HAIR

wevwil

I'm in to. Braids have caused me to thin, but I started seeing some thickening and growth due to massages of oil. Now I alternate between Asha's Roots, Emu Oil, and Boundless Tresses.

miss Congeniality

I have been using a sulfur oil mix and vatika oil. I am trying to do protective styles, too. I think this is helping my hair. I still need to be careful with my hats.

Msmia

Is it too late to join this challenge? My hairline has taken a serious beating :wallbash:

I think I am going to do the WGO and nightly massages and see how that goes :ohwell:

Misseyl

I recently purchased (Jan. 2008) a product from Profectiv for my edges.. Because I'm a believer in Profectiv, I'm going to take before and after pictures to see if I made any progress..I'm giving myself 5 months...

Well, I was using the Profectiv for thinning edges and it was reeking havoc on my skin. My forehead, cheeks and neck started to break out. I had to finally choose my skin over my hair because I refuse to walk around w/jacked up skin. Now I'm going to continue usine Profectiv Healthy Ends on my edges w/some ??? Temple Balm.

sweetwhispers

This is like my last ditch attempt because my hairline has recently gotten really bad due to weaves.
I'm using a sulphur oil mix in the day and at night this thing i've just bought by a company called Tricofort.
It says its a hair loss tonic with a Botanical Comolex of ginger, capsicum, Quinine Bark, Pollen, Arnica, Nettle, Ginseng, Wheat germ, Soluble sulphur, Anti-sebum factor( i dunno what this its a Brazillian product so i'm assuming somethings lost in translation) and Cysteine.
For £2.50 the ingredients look good.
If this doesn't work i'm gonna get steroid injections.

FyneNJChic

I guess I'm in the same boat ! My hairline is past sad so I have decided to try MTG and I am praying to GOD that it works!! So I am definitely down for a challenge.

amwcah

My hairline is busted all up do to braids and ponytails. It had grew back in some, but I had some large braids that did it in. I'm going to use ORS products to help revive it.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
im ok with my hair line being shorter than the rest. i just want my hair line to be at least 3 inches. it was 2 inches after babying it but i messed it up recently. i just will take care to moisturize it every day and keep less stress on them.

Traycee

Well .....I notice my hair line is thinning..Thanks to Gymfreak...She was able to narrow it down to much tension.......So is to late to join this challenge...Here is my starting point

MzOptimistic

Well .....I notice my hair line is thinning..Thanks to Gymfreak...She was able to narrow it down to much tension.......So is to late to join this challenge...Here is my starting point

Yours kinda look like mine. What I have been doing to grow my temples back in is using BT and making sure my temples and nape are the last when I do my touch ups. My temples are slowing growing in thicker but I still have to wear a swoop bang that goes behind my left ear to cover it up, when I bun. When/if I wear my hair down, it is not seen. Oh, I think you can see it a little in my siggy pic:look:

Traycee

Yours kinda look like mine. What I have been doing to grow my temples back in is using BT and making sure my temples and nape are the last when I do my touch ups. My temples are slowing growing in thicker but I still have to wear a swoop bang that goes behind my left ear to cover it up, when I bun. When/if I wear my hair down, it is not seen. Oh, I think you can see it a little in my siggy pic:look:

Thanks...girl....The funny thing is its just that area....my sides are fine....I never saw that one coming