APL/BSL 2014 Challenge

note...i have decided to add heat to my regimen (tension blowdry to stretch my hair/twists) dont worry, will be staying on top of protecting my hair, keeping it strong and moisturized!

I did my protein and moisture DCs on Friday. My hair is super soft now, but I keep seeing broken pieces of my texlaxed ends when I finger comb, especially since I slept without a scarf last night and my hair was a little dry this morning. My hair will likely correct it's balance after a couple nights of baggying, if not I'll do a quick moisture DC. Next time I'll keep my protein DC to only 10 minutes, and make sure I do my moisture DC for at least 20 minutes. Sucks that my texlaxed ends are so darn fragile.

Can't stop thinking about how much hair was cut. But I need to remember that I was at APL last January and made it to the length in my siggy by the summer.

Repeats, "It's hair. It will grow. It's hair. It will grow!"

I'm going to use up a heat pass for my birthday at the end of the month

I've had my hair put up since August in twists and they'll be going right back after my birthday

Cowashed tonight with Trader Joe's Nourish Spa and Aussie 3MM. Applied Aphogee green tea & Cantu leave-in and sealed with Jane Carter N&S and EVOO. I hope these twists are dry in the morning, with the cold blast we are having tomorrow I can't afford to go out with damp hair. This is my first winter as a natural and it is turning out to be one of the coldest winter in forever :nono:. Heavy sealing everyday from now on.

Cowashed tonight with Trader Joe's Nourish Spa and Aussie 3MM. Applied Aphogee green tea & Cantu leave-in and sealed with Jane Carter N&S and EVOO. I hope these twists are dry in the morning, with the cold blast we are having tomorrow I can't afford to go out with damp hair. This is my first winter as a natural and it is turning out to be one of the coldest winter in forever :nono:. Heavy sealing everyday from now on.

I love that Cantu leave-in. I actually used to it moisturize on my dry hair last night . It's so cold here in Dallas today so I will be heavy sealing as well!

Week 2 Washday

I just love washing my hair and this week was even more fun. My family got me a professional steamer for Christmas and it finally arrived on Jan. 3rd!

Prepooed-Olive and Coconut Oil on scalp and Lekair Cholesterol on length
Shampoo-2X w/ Mizani Milk Bath (first impression is completely positive. It contain Sodium Laureth Sulfate but it was nothing but moisturizing)
Protein- Aphogee 2 Minute Reconstructor (Light Protein)
DC'ed- Loreal Natures Therapy Moisturizing Conditoner w/ Steam (awesome experience)

After rinsing the conditioner, I air-dryed in four flat twists w/ HE LTR and coconut oil.

It two days later and my hair feels so moisturized and soft. I've only steamed once so its hard to say but I like it a lot. My hair is well conditioned and it seems to have alleviated some dryness in my scalp. My hair wasn't the "buttery" soft feeling I was expecting. That could be for a litany of reasons, most likely because Loreal isn't a favorite DC to begin with. Its nice but I'm not in love with it no matter what method I use.

I've decided to try a megatek and mn mix for 3 months. I'm going to apply everyday and clean my scalp every 2 days to prevent build up. This worked for me at one point. Not sure why I stopped.

Ok, I'm a little late, but I just got back in town. Happy New Year!

I was in the APL 2013 class, but I flunked, so I'm re-taking.

Current hair length- SL

Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning- natural

Goal Month-gonna say June(ish), but have never been able to reach APL so it may be longer.

Current Reggie and styling choices- have recently started flat-ironing (will see how that goes).
Wash, deep condition, flat iron every two weeks. Use coconut oil every 2-3 days.

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL/BSL? Cut down on flat-ironing and wear more buns.

Post a beginning picture

Attachments

• image-853866216.jpg
    image-853866216.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 39
Used up all my Cantu yesterday so m&s'd with Shea moisture curl and style milk/QB Aethiopika. Halfway through, I realized the Aethiopika butter's smell was off and it is very grainy. I've not used it in over 4 months, I think I'll just trash it even though the container is about 70% full. I hope Napata gets well soon.

I wanna join. The only pic I have is from October when I did a amino acid treatment on my hair. I will try to do a strand/pull test later today. For my starting length. I think I am a little past apl when stretched.

ForumRunner_20140108_102832.jpg

ForumRunner_20140108_102851.jpg

I'm really thinking about doing a nice size cut the next time I get my hair done (February). I've got some splits that are making detangling a job. I'm so close to APL though. :(

It'll grow back I know...

Product Rave: SITRINILLAH DEEP CONDITIONER! Will be my go to moisturizing deep conditioner. Hair love it.

Styling Miss: Braidout. Sucks and took forever to take out. I may try again after I clean up my ends because I think the tangling came from raggedy ends. But still not feeling the pattern it gave me.

I wanna join. The only pic I have is from October when I did a amino acid treatment on my hair. I will try to do a strand/pull test later today. For my starting length. I think I am a little past apl when stretched.

gorgeous!!

May I join?
Last year was just about getting myself into a routine.I did ok.My hair was in bad condition e.g broken crown,thin edges and uneven ends.
Texlaxed on 31st Dec 2014 and am loving my hair again!

I am going to take a pic later after my cowash and would like a lil feed back as to length etc.

See you later *hops,skips and jumps to go get conditioner n camera!

I'm really thinking about doing a nice size cut the next time I get my hair done (February). I've got some splits that are making detangling a job. I'm so close to APL though. :(

Product Rave: SITRINILLAH DEEP CONDITIONER! Will be my go to moisturizing deep conditioner. Hair love it.

Styling Miss: Braidout. Sucks and took forever to take out. I may try again after I clean up my ends because I think the tangling came from raggedy ends. But still not feeling the pattern it gave me.

A trim would definitely help, that was my problem I have been natural for 3 years an I think my hair would have been longer if I didn't lose so much hair from detangling. My hair dresser explained that the split ends were tangled together causing breakage

Hey ladies! I learned my hair grows best when I leave her alone. So my Peruvian hair I ordered is here and this wknd I will sew that in. Thinking of going honey blonde. .. will post pics.

ETA: probably will dust before this install even though my ends look good.

Im thinking about ordering a few wigs from hair sisters and hiding my hair for a couple months. Maybe the growth will seem faster if im not watching it everyday

Washed my clarified, shampooed and conditioned my hair in hopes of finally straightening tomorrow. Didn't do a good job detaching before I did a roller set. I'll have to find a way to do it, tomorrow.

Phaer When you say "amino acid treatment" are you talking about a keratin-like treatment from the salon or a DIY treatment like the one chicoro does onYT? Deets please :)

Your hair is lovely, btw :) :love:

I LOVE this HHJ!!

Last edited:
I did a fenugreek tea rinse and co-washed today. I didn't relax my edges or nape (when I relaxed) so, tomorrow's bun will be interesting!

taking these twists out on sunday (theyre about 2 weeks old)...will do 2 simple flat twists as my next style. will probably stick w/ that style for a bit until i get tired/bored of it. will redo once a week (condition wash day).

i always find myself itching to measure. ugh! dang me being so impatient.

That's the hair I'm praying for in September for DH birthday. Are you natural or relaxed?

I am natural. October 6th was my 3 year Nappiversary. Because of a packed trial schedule at work, I needed something that would make getting ready for work easier. I knew I wouldn't have time to give my hair the care it needed. So I decided to go to the hair salon and get an amino acid treatment. I originally wanted to do the design essentials treatment, but I first went to the hair salon to get a consultation done, and the hair stylist told me then that she stopped using the Design Essentials because it would leave the hair too straight, and the possibility of damage to my hair. Instead she used a product by the name of hair 360.
The total cost was $200, and it is supposed to last for 12 weeks. I also got a much needed trim. (First one since I went natural, no wonder I wasn't retaining).
After I got it done I was in love with my hair. I kept going around saying I have white people hair. It was so soft and smooth.
Now for the pros and cons, pros: my hair felt awesome and in fact it still feels awesome, I can do my hair very easily and quickly, I can actually do wash and gos where I wash my hair put in leave in conditioner maybe a little oil and go. When I do that I have nice soft curls sometime poofy and it feels like clouds on my neck. The cons: I hated the smell of burnt hair after it was done, it is a long process so when you go to the hair salon it does take like 3 hours, the cost, but it is worth it for me to be able to shave four and a half hours of my wash day process, I feel that my hair is stronger but I've learned that I had to be very vigilant about moisturizing my hair, if I did not moisturize my hair would feel brittle, as if it would snap if I touch it too hard. Lastly you have to be very careful what products you use on your hair so that it doesn't come out. I have to make sure that the products I use do not have any sulfates. I've just been using product that I've made myself.
I am at week 9 and I can tell the difference, my hair gets a little thicker now. Not to mention, the 1" maybe 1.5" of new growth of natural hair.
I am so afraid of heat damage that i've only use heat once,I am hoping and monitoring my hair, i want to make sure that it goes back to its natural texture, because I do miss some of the style that I used to do with my natural hair, sometimes this hair is too smooth, too straight and won't hold the style I want. overall I'm very happy I did this, I will probably do it again, as we will be on trial from now until April. I just really don't want to damage my hair.
The 12th week is up on the 19th, so we will see. I am tempted to wash with a sulfate just too see if my hair goes back to its previous texture, but I paid too much to do that.
That's the hair I'm praying for in September for DH birthday. Are you natural or relaxed?

Phaer When you say "amino acid treatment" are you talking about a keratin-like treatment from the salon or a DIY treatment like the one chicoro does onYT? Deets please :)

Your hair is lovely, btw :) :love:

I LOVE this HHJ!!

Last edited:
I just noticed your twist out in your avi, GORGEOUS, it is so chunky!.

Today is deep condition day.

My deep conditioning treatment consists of olive oil, sweet almond oil, coconut oil, Garnier repair and shine conditioner which has lots of slip. I detangled, but I wasn't as gentle with my crown area as I should have been. Hope I haven't done more damage.

Back