Apl Challenge 2017

faithVA

Hi, today I just put the plats on top of my head and made a bun, so no braid out for me.
Are their any low porosity ladies here? I saw there was a thread but it's pretty long. I wanted to know your thoughts about protein. I wonder if I need it and if so how often.
I'm low porosity and I use protein because my ends stay busted. I also flat iron quarterly and I was color treated in the past. I probably need protein every 4 to 6 weeks.

If you aren't doing a lot to your hair you may not need a lot of protein. You can try a keratin reconstructor every 6 months and see how that works for you. You can then reduce or extend the time based on your results.

GGsKin

Hi, today I just put the plats on top of my head and made a bun, so no braid out for me.
Are their any low porosity ladies here? I saw there was a thread but it's pretty long. I wanted to know your thoughts about protein. I wonder if I need it and if so how often.

I'm low-normal porosity natural, no dye or heat, and I try to use med-hard protein every 6-8 weeks or at least see how my hair feels around that time. I don't use hydrolysed protein elsewhere is my regi (other than silk amino acids in my clay). I balance protein with henna treatments so my timing is just a guideline for me and not anything I strictly stick to.

SAPNK

I straightened, and it came out terrible as expected. So I put it in rollers. I'm not taking them out until tomorrow, but I removed one to test and it looked great. I took pics of one half straightened, but it's not bone straight so I don't know. I'm about three or four hundred inches from APL.
20170507_120502.jpg 20170507_120248 (2).jpg

tapioca_pudding

I still don't know where mf'in APL is on me. :drunk: I'm gonna do a length check maybe tonight and ask DH to draw stars at my arm pits so I'll know how far away I am. :lachen:

Last length check was Jan 28th I think... Hoping to have at least an inch of growth since then. We shall see. Yesterday my MIL said my hair was looking particularly thick and long. :yay: Now this could be a ploy for a dope *** Mothers day gift, but Imma just go ahead and believe her. :lachen:

Evolving78

I straightened, and it came out terrible as expected. So I put it in rollers. I'm not taking them out until tomorrow, but I removed one to test and it looked great. I took pics of one half straightened, but it's not bone straight so I don't know. I'm about three or four hundred inches from APL.
View attachment 397953 View attachment 397951
It looks really nice and I like the color. We will get there.

tapioca_pudding

So I did a length check last night... Couple disclaimers :lol:

-The pic on the right is from Feb 2017 where I had just gotten a fresh flat iron and trim. Last night's photo (on the left) is of days old flat ironed hair with puffy roots.
-My ends look funky in last nights pic because I had my hair in a bun all day and they were kinda bent up.
-I'm not ready to trim my ends yet. I know that there are some "see through" ends, but I want to see how they look for my next 3 month length check before I chop them. They may be lead hairs.
-My hair was blonde, then I dyed it dark brown last Dec. The dark brown is fading which is why my hair in the current pic looks lighter. I'm okay with this color.
-I had DH write APL at the top of where my arm pit was lol. So that gives me a better idea where I am.

Still a ways to go to feel like I'm really APL, but I know I'm close.

hairMay2017_2.jpg DH pulled it all into a V

hairMay2017.jpg DH combed it all out

hairFebvMay2017.jpg May 2017 v Feb 2017

Last edited:

tapioca_pudding

I'm thinking about letting flexi's and curlformers be my summer staple styles. I hate sitting under the dryer for extended periods of time lol so I'm thinking I'll airdry 60% in twists then install my flexi's/curlformers to cut down on dry time. But I can usually get a few days out of a set, they last through workouts and will keep my hair stretched w/o excess heat. I'll see.

DST1913

Did a heavy protein treatment with Aphoghee because I was worried about the effect of the Dominican blow out. Attempted to get on this finger detangling band wagon and NO MA'AM! My hair laughed at me that crap aint work. Ended up using my trusty smooth detangling comb. Maybe the finger detangling will work when Im fully natural but right now it's a no for me dawg.

Been perusing this fine haired natural site finenaturalhairandfaith.com and watched a few of her videoes and found out about goats milk for protein. Im going to try it out next week. Although she has fine hair shes not 4C like me but I do like her site and tips for fine hair.

Carrie A

Cowashed with tresemme moisturising conditioner and my hair feels much better
I have this too or maybe it's color and moisturizing but it smells good.

I plan to wash tonight and condition. I have some Eluscence sp?? whey protein conditioner and I'll mix it with their moisture balance conditioner. I've had the product for a while but haven't used it in forever, so I'll use it up before deciding on which protein conditioner to try next.

Evolving78

Pin curled my hair last night. Thought I could get away with not Moisturizing the ends. ended up doing that early this morning. I will take the pins out later today.
If the hair is too curly for my taste, I will comb the curls out and Saran Wrap my hair.

DST1913

So tried the DIY goat milk conditoner today and well...immediately my curls were popping. If it looks like this when Im fully natural you won't be able to tell me nada. Lol. People that use it rave about the slip it gives but it tangled my hair. No slip at all. Not horrible tangles. That Tressamme Botanique got them right out. Im glad I got that conditioner. I will def try again because I think its a good protein for me. My fine hair needs protein to strengthen it and I hear good things about the treatment. I used Camille Rose ginger rinse shampoo for the first time. The verdict is still out on that one.

I purchased APB deep conditioner and refresher spray. Trying something new.

SAPNK

I washed with ACV and conditioner today. Then did a deep condition under the hooded dryer for a little while. I'll be going back to my long term protective styling with my marley twists. They are easier for me to install than any other long term protective style, but my only issue is that they loosen very easily. So it'll look raggedy after only a week. I think I'll have a set day every week where I redo a specific section. Although, I don't think the edges will look good waiting multiple weeks for their turn to get redone. I'll figure it out.

Evolving78

Washed my hair today. I used Fantasia IC leave-in moisturizer. I liked how it felt. It's not a detangler though, so I used my detangling leave-in too.

I dried under my hard bonnet, and put in some Felicia braids, then I pinned those down. I got my spandex satin cap on, with my beanie.

I plan on doing this every three days. If I gotta go somewhere fancy, I will throw on my wig. I plan to spray my with my leave-in spray and put some oil on my scalp and ends. If this goes well, I plan to do this for the rest of the summer.
I'm not stretching my relaxer. Just too hot to deal.

SAPNK

Finally did my twists. I cut the hair in half so it would take less time. Now I have to return the extra hair I bought from the BSS, because I was able to use just the hair I saved. Unfortunately, I can only exchange, but I don't want to buy anything for my hair right now. I have some staples and I'm trying to keep it simple. I guess there are other things I can buy.

CharlieEcho

My hair is breaking! The first week when I combed my hair I had tiny broken hairs on the sink so I stopped combing altogether.

I forgot to buy a protein conditioner so this week I deep conditioned with coconut oil and wrapped my hair. As I did the take down I had lots of 1/4 inch broken hairs. Not sure if it's broken hairs from when I was wrapping with a fine tooth comb or from maybe the stylist not washing out the Relaxer properly.

Do y'all think I should wash again but with a apogee? Or leave it for a week and try again?

Evolving78

My hair is breaking! The first week when I combed my hair I had tiny broken hairs on the sink so I stopped combing altogether.

I forgot to buy a protein conditioner so this week I deep conditioned with coconut oil and wrapped my hair. As I did the take down I had lots of 1/4 inch broken hairs. Not sure if it's broken hairs from when I was wrapping with a fine tooth comb or from maybe the stylist not washing out the Relaxer properly.

Do y'all think I should wash again but with a apogee? Or leave it for a week and try again?
It maybe from the comb. I can't run a fine toothed comb through my hair even after getting my hair relaxed.

But just to be on the safe side, wash with neutralizing shampoo twice, shampoo with a Moisturizing shampoo, then get some French Perm Stablizer. Let that sit for 10-15 mins. Rinse that out, then use aphogee 2 min. rinse then use a Moisturizing deep conditioner.

This should take care of any breakage you have.

When I wrap my hair, I have to spray it with a hair polishing spray, or some oil sheen. This helps the comb glide better.

faithVA

Definitely don't wait. Try shortcuts plan first and see 8f that works. If not come back and let us know.

faithVA

Nothing going on over here. I'm ready to put my hair away but can't seem to decide how I want to do that. I'm thinking of crochet braids but I haven't made any attempt to look for hair.

For now I'm going to stick with this same flat twist style and be patient.

I was hoping t9 have some part of my hair reach APL early but I need to just keep December in mind and hope I reach SL by August. I need to take better care of my ends and hope I get a summer growth spurt.