APL is Defeating Me (3.5 inches Takes Forever)!!

(For those currently SL or below) Is obtaining APL defeating you?

• Total voters

lilsparkle825

it took me forever, i swear. when i BC'd last june i was SL, and i didn't get to APL until this april or so (that included a trim or two, but still). in may i got a blunt cut that pushed me back to SL, and as of now i am full blunt APL, but it was rough getting here.

with that said, i'd give my limp looking APL for your thick, healthy SL...

Reecie

Your hair is very beautiful and thick... you have the same length and thickness I had when I started my journey last year...Be patient and the length will come :)

Are you serious? Your hair was my length last year? Your hair grew like 9 inches in one year!! Your hair is beautiful. So you're telling me there's a chance it could look like yours one day?? That is so inspirational. Do you have any pictures from your hair last year you could post.

PRETTY PLEASE??? :help: I need to see more pictures!!

LovingMe87

I just made APL for the first time in my life this past June! I thought I would never make it! I was full SL at the end Nov so that was about 6 months. During those 6 months I didn't relax, used the flatiron 4-5 times, mostly bunned, and for the weekends I rollerset or did braidouts. Oh and continued washing and deep conditioning every week; moisturizing & sealing everyday. If I did it I believe anyone can!

Reecie

I just made APL for the first time in my life this past June! I thought I would never make it! I was full SL at the end Nov so that was about 6 months. During those 6 months I didn't relax, used the flatiron 4-5 times, mostly bunned, and for the weekends I rollerset or did braidouts. Oh and continued washing and deep conditioning every week; moisturizing & sealing everyday. If I did it I believe anyone can!

That is awesome! That is a great regimen. I am definately considering doing a 4 month stretch starting in October. During that time I am planning on using no direct heat, and bun the majority of the time as well. Can you post some pics of your results? (I'm a picture person) So... you went from Full SL to APL in 6 months?? How many inches were you from APL back then?

LushLox

Keep going you'll get there, make sure you take pics of your hair to document progress if you're not already. Sometimes you really feel that you've not progressed at all unless you look at previous images to see how far you've come.

Last edited:

wannabelong

I think I'm on track to hit APL by Nov. or Dec. this year. I have about 2 inches to go. My reggie is very simple: wash/DC 1x per week, moisturize and seal every night, cover with satin bonnet or scarf every night. I wear rollersets, buns and twistouts.

Highly Favored8

Girl, I am going to ****Kick some rocks**** b/c your hair is the BOMB! So healthy and thick. 3.5 is taking you forever, b/c you keep thinking about it. A year ago I was back to SL and next Jan. I will be full APL now, I would have been APL in March of 2009 however, my stylist thought I should have a trim instead the WITCH cut it! So, with that being said just see what your hair likes and don't like. You will be there and BSL here you come.

BostonMaria

I think your hair is beautiful, very thick and healthy looking. I think that APL to MBL took forever. I think you should just be patient and trust me you'll be there before you know it. If you are looking to grow 3 inches I think that'll be 6 months from now, but that time will just fly by before you know it.

Kawaii1

Ladies!!

I am getting so frustrated. I know that it is common knowledge that growing your hair from SL to APL is the hardest obstacle. Although my hair is much healthier, thicker, and soft; I feel that at the rate I'm growing, I'm not going to make my APL by December goal. My hair seems to grow really slow. However, I have a long torso, so that is not helping my cause!!! I need about 3.5 inches before I reach APL.

I need some motivation. Does anyone have Fotki's and/or pics of their journey from SL to APL??? Also, how did you stay motivated, keep your sanity, and not constantly check for growth??? This is driving me crazy!!

:feedback: :feedback:

I will feel so relieved once I make my first goal!!

I took these pictures today. I have been half-wigging and bunning it up the past two weeks and decided to treat myself to a rollerset.

I'm a slow grower so I feel your pain. I try not to set goals because my hair grows slow so I don't want to discourage myself.

moriahar

Your hair is so healthy, thick and lush. Just keep doing what you are doing.

I want your hair! Its beautiful!!! :D

Barbie83

Your hair really is very healthy looking and beautiful, and I definitely feel your pain! I've been SL foreeeeeeeever.....I was gonna suggest protective styling, but since you're already doing that, I think you're on the right track.

I recently decided to begin my first stretch of 16 weeks. I'm currently on week 11, and have been doing a lot of twistouts and wet bunning and DCing. It seems to be working, as my new growth is RIDICULOUS. (I'm also on a personal no-heat challenge for the length of the stretch--I just CANT afford a setback). The shrinkage can be discouraging, cuz I can't really tell how long it really is. But hopefully when I relax on October 1st, I will be at least scraping APL.

Just keep up on your good hair care practices! And make sure you're taking in plenty of protein and water and good supplements. (Maybe try Biotin, Fish/Flaxseed Oil, a good multi, and Super B Complex)

Hopefully we'll make full APL in December together! I'll be watching you girl!

Hell I been full SL length since Dec 08 an i still haven't made it to Apl! What im doing is Hardcore bunning under my halfwigs maybe that will help

BlaqBella

Hi Reecie! I'm late but ITA with a lot of the ladies keep holding on (IT'S COMING!!) And it's going to be lovely with the health & fullness you've achieved!HHG!

Mrs.Green

Your hair is beautiful you will be there in no time :yep:. I started shorter than where you are now 1 year and 1/2 ago~

naturalmanenyc

Your hair is gorgeous!!!

I feel your pain. I have been transitioning since 12/30/2007 and I am still not APL. I had hoped to be APL by 12/2009 but at the rate of growth that I'm experiencing, I do not think that will happen.

I am not giving up hope though because I was once BSL (when relaxed).

Babygurl

You hair is so gorgeous and thick, I would have killed to have hair as thick as yours at that length, so keep up the good work, it is growing and you'll be APL before you know it, you may even pass it before you notice.

beans4reezy

I am two inches away and it really does feel like it is taking forever. I am hoping by December I am there or painfully close.

melodies815

Hey there...checking in after answering the poll. I guess I am in the minority but I know that will change as I hit SL or get beyond it. I am not focused on APL at all just yet, so I think that is the only reason why I don't feel frustrated. I am growing a little under an inch a month with extremely inconsistent use of MT and MN. By inconsistent, I mean, I will remember for a week and then forget for two months. lol

I wash every 2-3 days, DC with Pantene or NTM and use a heavy protein (MT) once or twice a month if I remember. Mostly, I wear a puff or a twistout, and I am well on my way to being at least at the top of my shoulders by the end of the year. I will length check at the end of Dec....or maybe a little before then since my birthday passed without my doing it like I thought I would.

I started at EL. I am in twists now.

Next year, I will begin to stress about APL...I can feel it happening (the stress) January 1st, 2010.

I really believe going natural again has helped my growth...

BTW...your hair is really beautiful. And so thick! I know you will get there!!

cj

Last edited:

honeybuni84

girl i remember this struggle it was pretty tough to deal with. I moved pretty slowly, it took me 18 months to go from NL to APL... and they were tough.. getting to sl was pretty easy, but then it seemed that i hit a stall. Honestly I really dont know what to do to KIM with the progress, just be patient i guess :)

toobadimcrazy

I definitely understand, I thought I would be APL by Jun 09, but i had to do a big trim due to split ends :sad:Now my goal is to be APL by Dec 09, but I feel as though I will always be two inches away...

glamchick84

your hair is beautiful, don't worry you'll definitely make it!! i would kill for my hair to be that thick!! i'm in the challenge as well but its not looking to good for me lol but i have already came to terms with it.....

Last edited:

Glitter

Just chiming in. I am 2.75 inches away from APL (yes, I took out a ruler and measured!).

I am about to go in for a trim...I am praying for JUST A TRIM so APL doesn't take any longer. Good luck! We can do this! I'd love to hit APL by Feb 2010.

blazingthru

I have been trying to get to Armpit since 2006 so hey I know the feeling. I would love to say I will be there by Chistmas but not sure about that and so I will just go with April making it a full four years I been trying to get there. I got most of my length cut down in Feb/March and a trim in May and its still not back yet. Its almost back I also do not take as much pictures as I use to. Plus my hair is so thin its pityfull. I wish I had thicker hair or thicker looking hair. I guess I got so discouraged that I stopped watching it as much we will see, I'll take another picture in October .

Reecie

Thanks for all the new responses, ladies. I'm glad I'm not going through this alone. We are all going to make it one day....it will just be sooner for some than others.

We are going to make it!!! Inch by excrutiating inch....:brucelee::brucelee::brucelee: We got this!!!