April 2018: Hits & Misses

PJaye

A Conundrum of a Hit: SM Baobab & Tea Tree Oils Low Porosity Protein Free Leave-in Detangler

This product has a loose, creamy, light consistency that applies somewhat weirdly. Instead of coating and smoothing onto the strands like the average creamy LI, it has a tendency to cling to where it was originally placed; and when I try to smooth it along my hair, it feels slightly waxy. In spite of this, it gave good slip, great shine, unbelievable softness and a ridiculous amount of long-lasting moisture. After using this on wash day, it kept my hair stupidly soft, shiny and highly moisturized for the entire week. I didn't have to do a thing to my hair except stick my hands under running water, smooth the sides of my ponytail with my wet hands, fluff the back and go every day until the following wash session, which is unusual since I typically refresh once a week.

Notwithstanding its efficacy, this stuff smells abysmal! The scent is a disturbing mixture of a christmas tree and motor oil with a large dollop of that old school pine that my mother insisted upon using for cleaning when I was a kid. This stuff will clear your sinuses OUT and wake you up in the morning, boy-o. After about a day, the scent settles down into a gently used car freshener (but ghosts of the original scent will rise when I loosen my ponytail and part it in preparation for wash day).

This product performs exceedingly well, but the scent is really off-putting. What am I supposed to do with this? What was SM thinking?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
A Conundrum of a Hit: SM Baobab & Tea Tree Oils Low Porosity Protein Free Leave-in Detangler

This product has a loose, creamy, light consistency that applies somewhat weirdly. Instead of coating and smoothing onto the strands like the average creamy LI, it has a tendency to cling to where it was originally placed; and when I try to smooth it along my hair, it feels slightly waxy. In spite of this, it gave good slip, great shine, unbelievable softness and a ridiculous amount of long-lasting moisture. After using this on wash day, it kept my hair stupidly soft, shiny and highly moisturized for the entire week. I didn't have to do a thing to my hair except stick my hands under running water, smooth the sides of my ponytail with my wet hands, fluff the back and go every day until the following wash session, which is unusual since I typically refresh once a week.

Notwithstanding its efficacy, this stuff smells abysmal! The scent is a disturbing mixture of a christmas tree and motor oil with a large dollop of that old school pine that my mother insisted upon using for cleaning when I was a kid. This stuff will clear your sinuses OUT and wake you up in the morning, boy-o. After about a day, the scent settles down into a gently used car freshener (but ghosts of the original scent will rise when I loosen my ponytail and part it in preparation for wash day).

This product performs exceedingly well, but the scent is really off-putting. What am I supposed to do with this? What was SM thinking?

:lachen:

This is my favorite review I have ever read.

LushLox

I loved this! :lol:

Can't you just use it on days when you aren't going out or don't have company (although the latter may be tricky if you're married!). It's such a shame to get rid of an otherwise well performing product.

Fragrance is such a deal breaker in hair products, you'd think SM would know better.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@PJaye Glad you decided to stick around.

@LushLox & @PJaye - I think most of their scents are "off putting" I didn't mind the scent of the Purification Hair Mask and the JBCO Masque smelled 'decent'

Their scents keep me from buying anything from them (among "other" things they got going on):look:

I found their Weightless Creme Rinse at TJMxx for $5 bucks - but hate how it smells. Looked at it today for a Final R/O and immediately went to something else.

Alma Petra

:lachen::lachen::lachen:
Now I have to get this!
Have you ever tried it as a leave-in for a wash and go?

PJaye

:lachen:

This is my favorite review I have ever read.

Thanks, Pud.

I loved this! :lol:

Can't you just use it on days when you aren't going out or don't have company (although the latter may be tricky if you're married!). It's such a shame to get rid of an otherwise well performing product.

Fragrance is such a deal breaker in hair products, you'd think SM would know better.

I work from home and I was still offended.:lol: It lit up the bathroom while I was applying it, and it looked like the painted ladies on my shower curtain were crying. SM doesn't care. They just roll out new products every 102 days and let the chips fall where they may.

PJaye

@PJaye Glad you decided to stick around.

@LushLox & @PJaye - I think most of their scents are "off putting" I didn't mind the scent of the Purification Hair Mask and the JBCO Masque smelled 'decent'

Their scents keep me from buying anything from them (among "other" things they got going on):look:

I found their Weightless Creme Rinse at TJMxx for $5 bucks - but hate how it smells. Looked at it today for a Final R/O and immediately went to something else.

Thanks, but I ain't staying. I'm out the first week in May. I don't have a problem with their scents even though the Sacha Inchi DC thingy is LOUD as all get out. It performs well, but whew...:lol:

:lachen::lachen::lachen:
Now I have to get this!
Have you ever tried it as a leave-in for a wash and go?

No, never. I don't do WNGs at all. I recommend sniffing it first before trying to buy it with a straight face. I won't be here to tell you "I told you so" if it makes your eyes tear up.:lol:

Alma Petra

Thanks, but I ain't staying. I'm out the first week in May. I don't have a problem with their scents even though the Sacha Inchi DC thingy is LOUD as all get out. It performs well, but whew...:lol:

No, never. I don't do WNGs at all. I recommend sniffing it first before trying to buy it with a straight face. I won't be here to tell you "I told you so" if it makes your eyes tear up.:lol:

Oh God this keeps sounding more and more serious lol. I will try my best to smell it first but I also know that I really really need moisture lol
I'm sorry to hear that you are leaving us! This was one of the best reviews I've ever read haha

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie

Yup. Word for word.

Aggie

Revisited Hit:
Bekura YAM Hair Treatment
Heyyyy! I think Ima be usin' somma dis in my DC tomorrow. I have about a half a jar left and I really need to use it up before it expires. I do like this one right here! It truly leaves my hair feeling so moisturized and super soft.

Aggie

Heyyyy! I think Ima be usin' somma dis (Bekura Yam Nectar) in my DC tomorrow. I have about a half a jar left and I really need to use it up before it expires. I do like this one right here! It truly leaves my hair feeling so moisturized and super soft.
This right here was a hit mixed in with my Follicle Care CayenaWood Strengthening deep conditioner :happydance:. No hard hair like last weekend when I used the CayenaWood alone. The Yam Nectar really helped plus it left my hair super shiny.

Ayesha81

Major hit: Design essentials peppermint aloe shampoo. Yall this left hair bouncy shiny soft. I was scared to use it I thought my hair would be dry but my hair dresser insisted she was out of my regular shampoo. Best shampoo I have ever used since my hair journey in 15 years.

Last edited:

LushLox

Major hit: Design essentials peppermint aloe shampoo. Yall this left hair bouncy shiny soft. I was scared to use it I thought my hair would be dry my hair dresser insisted she was out of my regular shampoo. Best shampoo I have ever used since my hair journey in 15 years.

Sounds lovely. I like the mint shampoos as they feel great on the scalp.

RUBY

Where you going? I always look out for your reviews.

SuchaLady

Miss: Aquage SeaExtend

Its named properly because it felt as if I dc'd with some salt water :nono: Dry and tangled hair. It took me a full hour to comb my hair through after rinsing this stuff out. Then it has the nerve to be super expensive.

Stay away.

nymane

MAJOR HIT
Keracolor Clenditioner is a dream...it leaves my hair clean, soft/moisturized, shiny, bouncy, it neutralizes mineral deposits, it's keratin based, and it has a low pH (4.5 - 5.5).

I've been searching for the perfect co-wash/co-cleanser for a while because my scalp likes to be cleansed 2x a week, but I don't have time to do my full wash day routine 2x a week.

In the past I've tried (but wouldn't re-purchase):
  • Wen Fig (not bad, but I wasn't blown away)
  • As I Am Co-wash (this might as well be shampoo...)
  • Devacurl no-poo (this might as well be shampoo)
  • Moroccanoil Curl Cleansing Conditioner (I have a soft spot for this one because it leaves the hair incredibly soft, smells divine, but it didn't leave my hair shiny or silky and my scalp didn't feel clean)
  • Joico Moisture Co+wash (might as well be shampoo)
Anyway, I'm glad my co-wash conditioner search is over. My hair has been happily married to Keracolor Clenditioner for two months now :)

shasha8685

Initial Hits :
Cantu ACV Root Rinse- definitely has helped with the itchies I have experienced since getting these braids. My scalp felt refreshed afterwards too!
Cantu Dry Cowash with ACV- I am liking it for refreshing my braids. It has a nice scent and doesn't weigh my braids down.

Overall, these two products will definitely help me stay on top of my game while my hair is in hiding. I don't like anything else that is Cantu but these products appear to be keepers

Other Hits:
African Royale BRX Braid Spray
my braid bonnet
( now I don't have to fight the battle of cramming my braids into my regular bonnet every night)

ms.blue

Initial Hit: Design Essentials Moisturizing hair bath. A little goes a long way and left my hair unusually soft.
Meh: Design Essentials moisturizing & detangling conditioner. I used this before the shampoo to detangle my shriveled up afro and it did an okay job.
ECO olive oil & shea butter black castor & flaxseed. The max hold is supposedly a 10 but not for my hair. Glad I bought the 8oz for $2 because it won't be a repurchase.

PlanetCybertron

Miss:

Whatever concoction I decided to make back in March backfired on me something fierce. I’ve never had a protein overload this serious before, but at that moment I was considering cutting off the entirety of my hair. My hair felt like the seatbelt in my car. Unbelievably rough, and the strands were sticking to themselves right at the roots. Shea butter saw me through all of this, because I was distraught for well over two days. The OKAY brand of coconut deep conditioner was one of the main ingredients I used, but will not be using again.

Second miss:

Eden body works coconut co-wash. Made the mid shaft towards my ends feel like silly string. Oddly puffy, with that slimy coated feeling. Nope.

Hits:

Mielle Organics Mint Deep conditioner and all it’s sinus clearing, minty goodness. The folks at ORS have lost a loyal customer because this blows the replenishing Pak right out of the water.

Shea Moisture high porosity Boabab line. My ends felt like the newer parts of my hair that’s just grown out. Soft, strong, and they didn’t dry immediately upon contact with air.

I bought this Equate silk protein serum. Bruh. Walmart has a few diamonds in the rough if you look hard enough. Panthenol needs Its own gold medal, because it’s legit, in every sense of the word, and it’s the main ingredient in whatever that serum truly is. Why it’s ONLY 6 dollars? I don’t know. But I definitely won’t complain.

I have a habit of buying popular overseas brands that I can’t even read because it’s in a different language. But WHATEVER this is.....it’s called a Sekkesei Emulsion. They have mixtures for face, skin, and hair. One of the ingredients is called Job’s tears. It’s a native seed or root that’s an extract in the mixture. Whatever this stuff does to the ends of my hair should be illegal. It’s awesome....in every way. It’s slightly coating, but I don’t even need to seal when I use it. It’s 38$ (Believe me this is probably the only 38$ I will ever spend on a brand), however I’d gladly pay it again, because it’s a nice protective coating, without building up, and I only need a half of a dime size amount.

Last edited:

Aggie

HITS:

-Coffee Rinses - this actually leaves my hair kinda soft which was unexpected. I was thinking it would leave my hair hard like the black tea rinse did year ago. Definitely a keeper. Now let's see what it does to stimulate hair growth.

-Herbal rinse with HOPS, horsetail, rosemary and sage - this was very nice too. It gave my hair some awesome shine. My hair felt a little strong with this mixture too but not overly so. Another keeper but I have quite a few herbs to try out and will update as I use them.

Aggie

Miss:

Whatever concoction I decided to make back in March backfired on me something fierce. I’ve never had a protein overload this serious before, but at that moment I was considering cutting off the entirety of my hair. My hair felt like the seatbelt in my car. Unbelievably rough, and the strands were sticking to themselves right at the roots. Shea butter saw me through all of this, because I was distraught for well over two days. The OKAY brand of coconut deep conditioner was one of the main ingredients I used, but will not be using again.

Second miss:

Eden body works coconut co-wash. Made the mid shaft towards my ends feel like silly string. Oddly puffy, with that slimy coated feeling. Nope.

Hits:

Mielle Organics Mint Deep conditioner and all it’s sinus clearing, minty goodness. The folks at ORS have lost a loyal customer because this blows the replenishing Pak right out of the water.

Shea Moisture high porosity Boabab line. My ends felt like the newer parts of my hair that’s just grown out. Soft, strong, and they didn’t dry immediately upon contact with air.

I bought this Equate silk protein serum. Bruh. Walmart has a few diamonds in the rough if you look hard enough. Panthenol needs Its own gold medal, because it’s legit, in every sense of the word, and it’s the main ingredient in whatever that serum truly is. Why it’s ONLY 6 dollars? I don’t know. But I definitely won’t complain.

I have a habit of buying popular overseas brands that I can’t even read because it’s in a different language. But WHATEVER this is.....it’s called a Sekkesei Emulsion. They have mixtures for face, skin, and hair. One of the ingredients is called Job’s tears. It’s a native seed or root that’s an extract in the mixture. Whatever this stuff does to the ends of my hair should be illegal. It’s awesome....in every way. It’s slightly coating, but I don’t even need to seal when I use it. It’s 38$ (Believe me this is probably the only 38$ I will ever spend on a brand), however I’d gladly pay it again, because it’s a nice protective coating, without building up, and I only need a half of a dime size amount.
Great reviews @PlanetCybertron. I also love that Mielle Organics Mint Deep Conditioner. I agree that it is 10 times better than ORS Rep Pak.

Out of curiosity, where did you buy the bolded item?