Are You About That Bun Life?

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
Hey ladies :wave:

I like buns and I cannot lie.

Tell me alll about your buns hun:laugh:
•Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, loced, or something I didn't mention?
•Wet bun, damp bun, or dry bun?
•What's the length of your hair?
•Do you like to supplement your bun with a little extra?
(tracks, marley hair, braiding hair, etc.,)?
•Favorite tools to use (hair ties, combs, brushes, etc.,)
•How often do you switch position of your bun(s)?
•What products do you use to whip that bun into shape?
•Favorite go to bun style/last minute bun?

Last but not least, pictures are always welcomed:lol:

ItsMeLilLucky

Well lemme answer my own thread :lachen:
•Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, loced, or something I didn't mention? Relaxed
•Wet bun, damp bun, or dry bun? Damp or Dry. Wet makes me itchy for some reason
•What's the length of your hair? I have three different lengths. Left is grazing cbl, right is grazing chin, and back is possibly ear length.
(tracks, marley hair, braiding hair, etc.,)? You know I do boo. I reach for anything I have handy. Which reminds me, I need some ponytails lol
•Favorite tools to use (hair ties, combs, brushes, etc.,) I use those no metal clip hair ties, my seamless combs, my hands and a scarf.
•How often do you switch position of your bun(s)? Still working on how often I need to safely switch to avoid breakage
•What products do you use to whip that bun into shape? I haven't done any sleek buns since I've been relaxed. I honestly don't know what I'll be using.
•Favorite go to bun style/last minute bun? Top bun w/added hair or hair parted with a flat twist or a cornrow on each side w/added hair

I haven't done a bun in a long time. My natural hair wasn't about that bun life AT ALL. My hair was thick, shrinkage on steroids, and head was big, not to mention my head got itchy when it couldn't get any air. I'm actually looking forward to seeing what kind of products and techniques that would work best for me.

Here's a little piece of picture. I don't have any pictures of my buns since I never wore them:cry3::lachen:

IMG_5875.JPG

Evolving78

I'm relaxed
Dry bun only
SL
Nothing added
Claw clips, spin pins, good day hair pins, hair ties, satin scrunchies

I don't switch positions, but I will clip the hair to the side, or up at night, instead of keeping it twirled around.
I use my leave-in spray, some oil, and pomade on my edges sometimes
My hair isn't that long, so I just have a side part with a bun near the nape.

SuchaLady

Literally the only way I wear my hair :ohwell:

Tell me alll about your buns hun:laugh:
Relaxed
Dry. On either airdried hair or rollerset hair
Child ion know.
No. If you have at least shoulder length hair you can skip bun formers.
Ouchless bands+bobby pins.
Once a week
On freshly washed hair the perimeter is gelled up with Wetline Xtreme. I moisturize with whatever for the most part but Beautiful Textures Moisture Butter leaves my hair feeling like pure love. Water+conditioner is a good one but if you dont shampoo it will leave crazy buildup.
Id attach pics but has the update helped? I cant justify fighting to upload a photo to the internet in 2017.

TheUnrepublic

Hi I'm new.

I am natural
I always put my hair up in a damp bun (After I have moisturized)
A couple inches past WL
No, all me
My Hands and a couple or several hair ties, plus bobby pins
once week to every two weeks
Mielle organics moisturizer and grape seed oil
Top knot
Pic:
upload_2017-1-23_1-36-3.png

toaster

I love bunning. It was all the rage when I joined the forum in 2008 so I began cowashing and wet bunning throughout my transition. Now I roller set my natural hair and bun daily unless I'm going out and want to wear my hair down. High bun. Low bun. Scrunchie. Spin pins. Either way, my hair is always up.

niknakmac

I never do buns. It is too much work for me. that bun type thing in my pic is actually an up do type of style with about 4 buns/swirly things in the back. It probably will never happen again but it was cute.

I love seeing a nice slick bun though, with a red lip. so pretty.

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
•Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, loced, or something I didn't mention? Natural
•Wet bun, damp bun, or dry bun? Wet in spring and summer, damp fall and winter
•What's the length of your hair? Waist length
(tracks, marley hair, braiding hair, etc.,)? No added hair but if I'm in a rush I use a satin cover sock donut because I get perfect buns without all the fuss.
•Favorite tools to use (hair ties, combs, brushes, etc.,) Goody ouchless headbands of hair ties
•How often do you switch position of your bun(s)? Wet buns I guess daily, I doubt they end up in the same spot every single time. Damp, every 2-3 days or whenever my hair starts to look bad.
•What products do you use to whip that bun into shape? Leave in and oil or whatever styler I'm trying to use up. Edge control sometimes
•Favorite go to bun style/last minute bun? Favorite is a wet bun done with a headband, nothing fancy but it's very loose yet stable. Little to no tension on my edges. Sock donut bun or bantu knot bun if I'm in a rush.

Miss617

Always left of center
•Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, loced, or something I didn't mention? Natural
•Wet bun, damp bun, or dry bun? Dry. I haven't figured out how to wet/damp bun my natural hair yet. So if I do them, it's after my hair has been blow dried and/or flat ironed.
•What's the length of your hair? Creeping toward shoulder length.
(tracks, marley hair, braiding hair, etc.,)? No extra hair.
•Favorite tools to use (hair ties, combs, brushes, etc.,) I use an old (clean!) rolled up dress sock as a bun former to make it look fuller. Other than that, I just use whatever I have on hand.
•How often do you switch position of your bun(s)? Almost never. The only bun I can pull off decently at the moment is a top bun, and I leave it for about a week.
•What products do you use to whip that bun into shape? Ecostyler or JBCO for edges.
•Favorite go to bun style/last minute bun? Top bun with sock donut.

Last edited:

Daina

Became about the bun life last year, I've always liked buns but hubby hates them. We compromised when he stated he hated wigs and fake hair more!:lachen:

•Wet bun, damp bun, or dry bun? I've done all three, currently rocking a wet/damp curly top bun
•What's the length of your hair? Between MBL and WL
•Do you like to supplement your bun with a little extra? No supplements
•Favorite tools to use (hair ties, combs, brushes, etc.,) Mostly use a satin scrunchy or Goody seamless hair bands, bobby pins small and large. Only use a brush if I want a sleek bun, other than that just hands
•How often do you switch position of your bun(s)? I switch every 2-3 days to avoid too much tension or breakage in one area. I will wear this curly top bun till Wednesday night and then switch to a low side bun
•What products do you use to whip that bun into shape? I M&S every other day or on the 3rd day when I take it down. I use SM Coconut and Hibiscus shine mist and seal with JC seal and shine every morning as well. My edges will lay down typically with water and my scarf, if I'm feeling fancy I will use a little CR curl maker but even using the Xcel 21 cream will lay my edges. I'm not a fan of edge control as I have yet to find one that doesn't eventually leave a residue. I've used Extreme Wetline gel and like that also for a sleek bun.
•Favorite go to bun style/last minute bun? Either a top messy bun or a side bun with two-strand flat twists in the front on each side that connect to the bun.

FoxxyLocs

•Wet bun, damp bun, or dry bun? Almost always dry bun, very rarely wet bun if I'm in a hurry, but I really don't like wet buns. I feel like they cause more tangles and matting

•What's the length of your hair? Hip length

•Do you like to supplement your bun with a little extra? No extra hair

•Favorite tools to use (hair ties, combs, brushes, etc.,) I usually just finger comb and twist the hair around itself to form my bun, then pin in place. Same process of my hair is in twists or braids. Or on an old twist out or braids out. No hair ties - that way I can make sure my bun isn't too tight

•How often do you switch position of your bun(s)? I wear either a low bun or ballerina bun. Since it isn't tight, I don't worry about changing position.

•What products do you use to whip that bun into shape? I use eco styler gel mostly

I'm lazy with my buns. It takes 5 seconds to do and I never try any more intricate bun styles. Maybe one day.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
•Wet bun, damp bun, or dry bun? Mostly dry buning. If my bun is damp, it is because my hair did not fully dry.
•What's the length of your hair? Btw BSL and MBL.
•Do you like to supplement your bun with a little extra? No.
•Favorite tools to use (hair ties, combs, brushes, etc.,) I use a satin scrunchie and Bobby pins.
•How often do you switch position of your bun(s)? Never. If I feel there is too much tension, I just don't wear buns for a few days to a few weeks.
•What products do you use to whip that bun into shape? I spritz my edges and the front where I apply gel with rosewater and then top with ecostlyer. Then I tie it down with this little edge scarf I have. That's about it.
•Favorite go to bun style/last minute bun? I rarely do a sloppy bun. They are usually always put together.

Beachy

I LOVE BUNS and I cannot lie!!!

Natural

Wet bun only

Hip length

No supplements

No combs, no brushes, just my hands, my banana clip, hair pins (used to use bobby pins years ago) and my scarf with an honarable mention to my Pibbs as my hair got longer and took way too long to air dry

Once I bun its done for the week. The next week I will change the position. Im actually working on my 2nd week with my current bun because I was too sick to do my hair last week. Dont know if I could do this on a regular basis though.

Leave-in SM 10-1 masque
Wetline extreme on the length of my hair
Ecostyler Olive Oil on my edges.

A bun that I do where I do a modified fishtail braid on the hair left out of the banana clip then I pull random pieces to pin.

Im sure I can find a pic or 2oo :grinwink: to post if someone wants to tell me the easiest way to post from an iPhone.

ItsMeLilLucky

@Beachy Ok, here's what you do: •Find a picture you like
•Click the "upload a file" button
•Scroll to the picture you've selected
•Hit "post reply"

The end lol

Edited to add: when you click the upload a file button, if you have a pic saved, use the photo library. Otherwise, take a photo and follow the rest of the steps.

Last edited:

Beachy

@AbsyBlvd... Thanks! I know what you mean about struggling to hide your ends. Most of the above pics are fairly recent (within 1-3 years) so it was easy to hide the ends but when I first started it was a struggle. Im sure there are a few ends out in that "first bun" pic (blue tshirt). Keep trying it will get easier and you know all us bun ladies are here to help!!