Are You About That Bun Life?

Rozlewis

I love them bunz!!!

•Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, loced, or something I didn't mention? Relaxed

•Wet bun, damp bun, or dry bun? Dry bun only

•What's the length of your hair? Bra Strap

•Do you like to supplement your bun with a little extra? No extra hair

•Favorite tools to use (hair ties, combs, brushes, etc.,) I like a perfect shaped bun so I use a silk lined bun maker

•How often do you switch position of your bun(s)? I change occasionally but my bun is never tight.

•What products do you use to whip that bun into shape? I use leave-in conditioner, oil and a little gel. I like my bun to be soft and smooth not hard to the touch.

IMG_3052_2.jpg

imaginary

I love buns. Trying to grow my hair out so I can bun all of my hair comfortably without gel for the short pieces in the front.

Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, loced, or something I didn't mention? Natural
Wet bun, damp bun, or dry bun? Dry
What's the length of your hair? I've got so many lengths but mostly above chin-length in the front, cbl in the middle and apl in the back
Do you like to supplement your bun with a little extra? Yes. It's my new favourite thing to keep my dainty ends plaited and safe
(tracks, marley hair, braiding hair, etc.,)? Marley hair
Favorite tools to use (hair ties, combs, brushes, etc.,): Banana clips, satin elastic hair ties, regular no metal hair ties, I also want to invest in some puffcuffs so I can have all the greatness and gentleness of the banana clip in a rounded shape which makes it easier to add hair. I have no idea how to add hair to a banana clip bun.
How often do you switch position of your bun(s)? Not as often as I should, but I haven't been wearing them everyday
What products do you use to whip that bun into shape? Gels are great. Ecostyler, flaxseed,
Favorite go to bun style/last minute bun? Top knots are my absolute faves.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Thank you. I love that twist updo in the stripy top. I will definitely be trialling some of your banana clip buns. They are my go to hair tools/clips but I struggle often to hide my ends. Your styles look great.

You can buy a thin hair net from Sally's - look at @Rozlewis' photo above, I think she has one on in that photo (do you Roz?) - and it will help hide ends and stray hairs that won't cooperate.

GGsKin

You can buy a thin hair net from Sally's - look at @Rozlewis' photo above, I think she has one on in that photo (do you Roz?) - and it will help hide ends and stray hairs that won't cooperate.

I spied it too and I didn't even think about doing that! Thanks for the tip @divachyk. I've got my hair up in one now for the first time in a long time, so I may try a bun this week...baby steps lol

Rozlewis

Hi @divachyk

Yes, I wear bun nets all the time. As you said they help to ensure my ends are tucked under the bun and they tame those pesky flyaways. The nets are nearly invisible. Of course, you can see the one in my photo because the photo is close-up.

CityGirl

Hey ladies :wave:

I like buns and I cannot lie.

Tell me alll about your buns hun:laugh:
•Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, loced, or something I didn't mention? Relaxed
•Wet bun, damp bun, or dry bun? Wet bun I cowash everyday and seal with coconut oil so the bun is always wet.
•What's the length of your hair? BSL
•Do you like to supplement your bun with a little extra? Nope.
(tracks, marley hair, braiding hair, etc.,)?
•Favorite tools to use (hair ties, combs, brushes, etc.,) Large tooth comb; very large
•How often do you switch position of your bun(s)? Couple of times a week.
•What products do you use to whip that bun into shape? As I Am coconut cowash, and various leave ins that I rotate, then seal with coconut oil and make my bun.
•Favorite go to bun style/last minute bun? A simple ponytail then twisted around to form the bun.

Last but not least, pictures are always welcomed:lol:

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams
Yes they are :lick: lol
Step into the bun liiiife, step into the bun, bun liiiife :lol:
Lollll, I did it. I always feel so much cute with my hair bunned and not twisted. Wash day is this weekend so we'll see if this could hold up as a weekly style. My ends don't feel as protected though. I used a satin scrunchie and just folded my hair over and tucked.

Blessed&higlyflavoured

ladies. you have some beautiful buns ;)
I want to be about that bun life
but I find three things stopping me
1. My texture makes my hair feel like its fighting its way to escape from the hairband. If I do it looser it doesn't look as sleek or as polished as I'd like it to. I stretch my hair beforehand but still.
2. Headaches? Just me?
3. How do I protect my nape and edges?

Thanks

Last edited:

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
1. My texture makes my hair feel like its fighting its way to escape from the hairband. If I do it looser it doesn't look as sleek or as polished as I'd like it to. I stretch my hair before hand but I still.
2. Headaches? Just me?

Thanks
Sorry I don't have more tips, but
1. Have you tried doing your bun in sections? That might help with the sleekness.
2. I think the headaches are just from you not being used to the tension.
3. Don't overly comb, brush, or pull tight on them. Use a scarf to cover them. Give them a break and try other styles.

Reinventing21

Spreading my wings
I love them bunz!!!

•Wet bun, damp bun, or dry bun? Dry bun only

•What's the length of your hair? Bra Strap

•Do you like to supplement your bun with a little extra? No extra hair

•Favorite tools to use (hair ties, combs, brushes, etc.,) I like a perfect shaped bun so I use a silk lined bun maker

•How often do you switch position of your bun(s)? I change occasionally but my bun is never tight.

•What products do you use to whip that bun into shape? I use leave-in conditioner, oil and a little gel. I like my bun to be soft and smooth not hard to the touch.

View attachment 386795

I do just like you because in my case I am style challenged so using the bun maker is great for me. Also, I have wrapped fake hair around the netted donut to protect my own hair. I also in the winter use a... I don't know the material...not cotton...something smooth and not drying... over the entire bun to protect my hair. I finish it off with a heavy net, snood and decorations. NOW MY QUESTION FOR YOU:D: Did you make the silk lined bun maker yourself or is it store bought? I would love to have that for further protection!

Also notes for any new bun makers, I like the bun maker too because there is never any tension on my scalp. However, when I get home, I can never wait to undo the bun and free it cuz my hair is dense and heavy ha ha...but I have never lost hair due to any tightness of wearing the bun cuz like ^^^the bun is never tight.

Last edited:

divachyk

1. My texture makes my hair feel like its fighting its way to escape from the hairband. If I do it looser it doesn't look as sleek or as polished as I'd like it to. I stretch my hair beforehand but still.
2. Headaches? Just me?

Thanks

1. You can make two ponytails in the crown side by side to create one bun.
2. You're definitely pulling too tight. (or so I think) Perhaps you need to try a different hair tie -- I love my Puff Cuff Jr. No tension.
3. At night? I cover my hair with a silk or satin scarf. I moisturize my hair daily by using a spray moisturizer to avoid disturbing my bun. I focus the moisturizer on my edges and nape as well. I touch up the edges with gel throughout the week as needed.
During the commute to work? I cover my hair with a scarf to avoid friction from beanies/etc.
4. On the weekend? I let my edges rest.

Last edited:

divachyk

•Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, loced, or something I didn't mention?
Natural

•Wet bun, damp bun, or dry bun?
All the above

•What's the length of your hair?
Depends on shrinkage that day

•Do you like to supplement your bun with a little extra? (tracks, marley hair, braiding hair, etc.,)?
Sometimes - depends on the look I'm going for.

•Favorite tools to use (hair ties, combs, brushes, etc.,)
Goody's Hair Ties
Puff Cuff Jr.
Puff Cuff Original
Banana Clips
Stockings cut up to make ponytail holder
Thin hair net to cover bun to tame stray hair
Gentle brush (sometimes I use a baby brush) to tame edges and brush hair

•How often do you switch position of your bun(s)?
As a natural - weekly or twice weekly. When relaxed, daily.

•What products do you use to whip that bun into shape?
Wetline gel or Ecostyler (green jar)

•Favorite go to bun style/last minute bun?
See photo.

IMG_1096.png IMG_1097.png

Beachy

Sorry I don't have more tips, but
1. Have you tried doing your bun in sections? That might help with the sleekness.
2. I think the headaches are just from you not being used to the tension.
3. Don't overly comb, brush, or pull tight on them. Use a scarf to cover them. Give them a break and try other styles.

Great Tips!! I know #1 was so helpful when I first started bunning.

Rozlewis

I do just like you because in my case I am style challenged so using the bun maker is great for me. Also, I have wrapped fake hair around the netted donut to protect my own hair. I also in the winter use a... I don't know the material...not cotton...something smooth and not drying... over the entire bun to protect my hair. I finish it off with a heavy net, snood and decorations. NOW MY QUESTION FOR YOU:D: Did you make the silk lined bun maker yourself or is it store bought? I would love to have that for further protection!

Also notes for any new bun makers, I like the bun maker too because there is never any tension on my scalp. However, when I get home, I can never wait to undo the bun and free it cuz my hair is dense and heavy ha ha...but I have never lost hair due to any tightness of wearing the bun cuz like ^^^the bun is never tight.

@Reinventing21

There is this wonderful vendor on Etsy who makes silk lined bun makers in all sizes. I have small, medium, large and extra large. The vendor is Silky Cocoon. I just checked and it looks like they are out of them but you can send an e-mail if you are interested. IMG_1276.JPG

divachyk

I wrap a piece of silk or satin around the donut.