Asian BSS's - We need to do something ya'll!

songbyrd517

Hi girls. I don't know if this has been posted already, but I got the link from Cathy Howse's web site. Everyone but black people have thier hands and products in black people's hair, and we need to start keeping our business in our community and build our wealth. We give too much of our collective money away. Please see this link and watch the previews. I will buy the DVD to support the cause as soon as I have the extra cash. I am also trying to stop shopping at Asian BSS's - as hard as it may be (they own all of them!!!!)

http://www.blackhairdvd.com/preview1.html

SilverSurfer

Yes it's true, there is a black BSS in my area so I stopped in there to pick up a few things and inquire about Black Diamond hair because a girl friend of mine has been raving about the brand so the owner tells me these are the only black diamond we have. I asked if they were going to get the curly ones in and he said no that they will not be getting anymore Black diamond brands because the Asians have stopped selling them to any black owned beauty supply store.

WOW :eek: I was really shocked and disgusted. It's like McDonald's refusing to serve food to black people and still most people patronize them. They profit so much from us but won't give us a piece of the pie. :mad: I think it's time to put our power in numbers and boycott them.

btw..I have not watched that clip yet

Jas123

The Star of a Story
I s this the video about how the Asians are taking over the black haircare market and how they're starting to make their own knock-off and not sale the black made products? If it is I saw that video and vowed to never go the another asian owned bss, which inever went to on a regular basis..but I was wondering what we could do to really make a big impact..I know the bottom line is the almighty dollar..but how do we get the word out..how do we get more black owners??

ShaniKeys

My sister showed me the clip a couple of weeks ago, I wasn't really shocked, it's the same thing over here (esp. Brussels), it's mostly Indians who sell black hairproducts and African food, I was in Paris about half a year ago, and same scenario! Although here in my hometown, it's quite ok, it's mostly black owned;)

fattyfatfat

sherylin123 said:
I s this the video about how the Asians are taking over the black haircare market and how they're starting to make their own knock-off and not sale the black made products? If it is I saw that video and vowed to never go the another asian owned bss, which inever went to on a regular basis..but I was wondering what we could do to really make a big impact..I know the bottom line is the almighty dollar..but how do we get the word out..how do we get more black owners??

honestly, i support Asian BSS's because I dont know where any AA owned stores are in my area. Maybe if we started a list/thread on here with AA stores, then we can support them.

OneInAMillion

danithefatty said:
honestly, i support Asian BSS's because I dont know where any AA owned stores are in my area. Maybe if we started a list/thread on here with AA stores, then we can support them.

ITA with you. But it also reminds me that I know very FEW Black owned supply shops. I know of Black product representatives that sell to shops, but not actual BSS's. Not that this opinion has it's place in this particular thread, but I think we need to START owning these businesses since we represent the market.

Just my two cents ;) .

FAMUDva

danithefatty said:

Honestly I support the BEST business based on how I'm treated, the quality of service and the quality of products I choose. I've NEVER chosen to shop somewhere just because someone black owns it!

I guess I don't get the whole "boycott all things Asian" idea... If that be the case ladies should boycott Sally's, Wal-Mart, CVS, Target, etc for their hair care products! Those places are not "black" owned.

In my neighborhood the little Asian guy who owns the 2 BSS remembers me, orders anything that I specifically tell him I need and it's there when he tells me it will be there. He's courteous and treats me like any mom-and-pop store would. I don't know whether or not there is a black BSS store near me, because I'm happy with the one I go to. I do know there are 2 Sally's near and I don't go to them because my little local shop has everything I need and cheaper than Sally's.

If you ask me, all MINORITY business owners should learn the secrets of great marketing, sales, and customer support! I expect this from ALL businesses I use. I'm not saying that black business don't have such, but too often we champion a cause without expect more! This is my opinion.

FAMUDva

OneInAMillion said:
ITA with you. But it also reminds me that I know very FEW Black owned supply shops. I know of Black product representatives that sell to shops, but not actual BSS's. Not that this opinion has it's place in this particular thread, but I think we need to START owning these businesses since we represent the market.

Just my two cents ;) .

ITA! They will grant a small business loan to Black folks just like they will Asians! So if the market is billions $$$, why haven't we jumped on the bandwagon????

gloomgeisha

FAMUDva said:
Honestly I support the BEST business based on how I'm treated, the quality of service and the quality of products I choose. I've NEVER chosen to shop somewhere just because someone black owns it!

I guess I don't get the whole "boycott all things Asian" idea... If that be the case ladies should boycott Sally's, Wal-Mart, CVS, Target, etc for their hair care products! Those places are not "black" owned.

In my neighborhood the little Asian guy who owns the 2 BSS remembers me, orders anything that I specifically tell him I need and it's there when he tells me it will be there. He's courteous and treats me like any mom-and-pop store would. I don't know whether or not there is a black BSS store near me, because I'm happy with the one I go to. I do know there are 2 Sally's near and I don't go to them because my little local shop has everything I need and cheaper than Sally's.

If you ask me, all MINORITY business owners should learn the secrets of great marketing, sales, and customer support! I expect this from ALL businesses I use. I'm not saying that black business don't have such, but too often we champion a cause without expect more! This is my opinion.

Excellent post, especially when you mentioned boycotting the other large scale companies that don't cater to or put money back into the Black community. I've always used this and received silence as my response.

cmw45

FAMUDva said:

I agree...to a degree. I think that one of the points that was made in an earlier post/initial post, was that Asian manufactures had decided to stop selling Black Diamond hair care products to black owned BSSs. At that point, I don't think that it is fair to patronize another place of business if they happen to profit from discrimination. I think that is akin to saying, if whites banks decided to stop financing minority loans and therefore miniority business, it would really be OKAY to then only beable to shop at white businesses, just because they weren't the initial denieres of the loans. This is my opinion.

I think my opinion also stems fromt the fact that I go to an IVY league school, where there are very few African Americans, and a lot of Asians. When I would hang out with my asian friends a lot of them would tell me how racist their parents are towards blacks, but that I'm different. I'm somehow the acceptable Negro...just cause I'm able to take my privileged ass to this school. This is not okay with me. I really don't care if they are another MINORITY, being complicit in or advancing OPPRESSION, is never okay! This is my opinion. I will no longer shop at Asian owned BSSs. I would certainly love for us to start a list.

cmw45

FAMUDva said:
ITA! They will grant a small business loan to Black folks just like they will Asians! So if the market is billions $$$, why haven't we jumped on the bandwagon????

I think that a lot of blacks have made attempts...but I think this statement makes it seem as though black are just lazy. And I sure as hell know about some black people who are all about making some money.

The real problem stems from the fact that Asian suppliers supply Asian BSSs with products at a cheaper rate than they're willing to sell to non-Asians (this includes whites--my friend's mother just went out of business). Which means that the BSSs owned by members of other races can not compete with the lower prices and are often forced out of business.

To the ladies that have been wondering...I have been scouring the internet to look for a business directory of black-owned business and I have yet to find one that is user friendly or readily accessable. I am working on one with a developer...I will keep you updated.

FAMUDva

cmw45 said:
I agree...to a degree. I think that one of the points that was made in an earlier post/initial post, was that Asian manufactures had decided to stop selling Black Diamond hair care products to black owned BSSs. At that point, I don't think that it is fair to patronize another place of business if they happen to profit from discrimination. I think that is akin to saying, if whites banks decided to stop financing minority loans and therefore miniority business, it would really be OKAY to then only beable to shop at white businesses, just because they weren't the initial denieres of the loans. This is my opinion.

I think my opinion also stems fromt the fact that I go to an IVY league school, where there are very few African Americans, and a lot of Asians. When I would hang out with my asian friends a lot of them would tell me how racist their parents are towards blacks, but that I'm different. I'm somehow the acceptable Negro...just cause I'm able to take my privileged ass to this school. This is not okay with me. I really don't care if they are another MINORITY, being complicit in or advancing OPPRESSION, is never okay! This is my opinion. I will no longer shop at Asian owned BSSs. I would certainly love for us to start a list.

I still want to know how this is different from patranizing whites? Of course not ALL Asians are prejudice as not all white folks are racist. But of course there are many white business owners that feel the same way you mentioned your Asian friends parents do. So how on earth do you know if the lady who owns Sally's or what have you is not racist/ prejudiced against blacks?

I cannot speak to who supplies what to whom ever, I just know not many black BSS exist in my area and I live in a middle- upper middle class area of Metro Atlanta. So, why is that so? If blacks don't own the businesses where I live how can someone possibly decide not to sell something to them if they don't exist? That's my question. My other question or point was that I don't support a business just because someone black runs it. I will give them a chance, but I don't have mental notes of who I will and will not patronize based on their ethnic background.

FAMUDva

cmw45 said:
I think that a lot of blacks have made attempts...but I think this statement makes it seem as though black are just lazy. And I sure as hell know about some black people who are all about making some money.

The real problem stems from the fact that Asian suppliers supply Asian BSSs with products at a cheaper rate than they're willing to sell to non-Asians (this includes whites--my friend's mother just went out of business). Which means that the BSSs owned by members of other races can not compete with the lower prices and are often forced out of business.

To the ladies that have been wondering...I have been scouring the internet to look for a business directory of black-owned business and I have yet to find one that is user friendly or readily accessable. I am working on one with a developer...I will keep you updated.

I don't know how you got from my statement that I think blacks are lazy. As a black women, I know all blacks are not lazy! I also know that there are lazy folks in all races and ethnic backgrounds. My point had nothing to do with laziness. My point had more to do with the fact that if people don't like what they perceive as the status quo, then change it... Open the businesses, start your own hair care lines, do what it takes to make it happen.

I don't buy products online often and I will never buy products on line regularly. I like going to the store and finding what I want. That's just me. I still feel that we request equality, but we don't seem to build ourselves to that occasion. Like I said, I live in a majority black area (as is much of my metro area) and there are VERY few black owned businesses on larger scales around me. Sure there are black realtors, car dealers, art dealers, etc near me, but nothing on a grand scale. I mean, the local dominican salon (yes some of them are black too, but not AA) has more and more black women patronizing them because of the notion that they can get in and out. They are not waiting for 1/2 a day for an appointment that they set weeks ago. That is just one example, of the point that we should rise to the occasion and not set double standards for Asian, white, other service providers that we would set for "black-owned" business.

I patronize black businesses, white business, and asian businesses. I patronize who treats me like they appreciate my business. That is all I'm saying. I mean if we are being real, folks should cut Wal-Mart off due to their tactics of not only HOW they secure their manufactured goods, but also their practices with employees. So, why aren't we holding Wal-Mart to the same standard as these Asian business owners?

FAMUDva

cmw45 said:

This statement describes Wal-Mart and Home Depot EXACTLY! I mean to a tee! This is why there are no more mom and pop 5 and dimes, but there is no large scale boycott of Wal-Mart.

Wal-mart TELLS manufactors what they will pay, and manufactors comply because Wal-Mart is the giant. It's the biggest of American capitilism at it's best. Not fair, but it's how America operates. Survival of the fittest.

I'm not saying it's right, but I'd have to research EVERY service provider if I was going to hold each and every asian store to this standard.

camellia

FAMUDva said:

Great post! I agree with this.

I don't shop at BSS myself, mostly because I don't use almost any of the products sold there, other than stuff like hair pins, combs, ect... I buy most of my hair products online or at JC Penny.

I want the best value for my dollar, and yes, customer service is a big part of that. I don't care about the race of the shop owners, I just want a good deal and fair treatment.

Small business loans are available for everyone. I don't think boycotting Asians is the right approach. Start up a BSS of your own, and then offer the best customer service possible, competitive pricing, a good stock of high quality products... The business will come to you, most people vote with their dollars.

gloomgeisha

So, why aren't we holding Wal-Mart to the same standard as these Asian business owners?

Because that would require too much work and who has time for that when there's deep conditioning to be done?

http://www.bbb.org/

Better Business Bureau. Simple and puts the company on record...though filing a complaint is probably too much work too.

ETA:
Asian suppliers supply Asian BSSs with products at a cheaper rate than they're willing to sell to non-Asians

Sorry, this is false. Legitimate distributors have catalogs that outline their pricing. The only way you get a discount is if you order things in very large quantities and it's usually only about 7%. Ben's Beauty Supply, PK International, and Beauty Enterprises are White/Korean owned and are the more prominent east coast distributors with superb english speaking staff and salesmen.

Can we hear from people that have actually WORKED at a beauty supply on this issue?

Last edited:

JazzyDez

there was a debate in a thread about asian bss where the discussion was talking about asian bss vs black bss a few months ago that got pretty interesting....let me try to find it

eta: no luck finding that one :ohwell:

Last edited:

Miss*Tress

There's always Sheldeez (sp?). That company has a great reputation...not.

Seriously, though, I'd rather boycott WalMart than Asian businesses. Everytime I read that one of us is buying products at WalMart I cringe. We still go despite all the news reports about how the Waldens treat women and minorities - both employees and customers. :ohwell:

iCandyc

danithefatty said:

Same here! I live in BKLYN NY, and in may areas you can find like 50 BSS stores on one ave however they are ALL asian. I dnt know where there is 1 black owned bss

Ladykd9

I have seen the video and have read some of your post and think all of you have some good point; however, I don't think supporting a business that is black owned has to be considered boycotting another store. I think we should look at supporting businesses(sp) that are black owned as a positive benefit to our own community. If we do not support our businesses who will? Unfortunately, we are in a society that(on a majority level) does not support black owned business. Years ago there used to be cities that had black owned, hotels, newspapers, restaurants, clothing stores, etc. and when blacks were allowed to go to white owned or other business the black owned business died off(not completely, but a great deal). Why? Because we support others peoples stores faithfully and unfortunately the majority of society does not do the same.
Great topic! I moved from Chicago to Michigan and I am sad to say I don't know of any black owned hair supply stores. I am willing to support if we can find some though.:)

AtlantaJJ

songbyrd517 said:
Hi girls. I don't know if this has been posted already, but I got the link from Cathy Howse's web site. Everyone but black people have thier hands and products in black people's hair, and we need to start keeping our business in our community and build our wealth. We give too much of our collective money away. Please see this link and watch the previews. I will buy the DVD to support the cause as soon as I have the extra cash. I am also trying to stop shopping at Asian BSS's - as hard as it may be (they own all of them!!!!)

http://www.blackhairdvd.com/preview1.html
Is the QhemetBiologics lady black, I just assumed she was because I'm about to drop a chunk of change on her for some products...The next time I buy henna I'm going to try the hennasooq web site as well. Since I've joined this site and I have given it some thought, I have adopted a keep it in the family attitude. Before I was pretty mindless about it..:look: I wish I could get my hands on Miss Jessie, ask her why she charging so much for her products (I know they are good, but dang) and why won't she educate some other salons around the country about her technique (for a fee of course), that way the good can spread around. One thing I notice about "our folks" is that we get something good we tend to sit on it...that's just what I've noticed in my limited experience.

FAMUDva

gloomgeisha said:
So, why aren't we holding Wal-Mart to the same standard as these Asian business owners?

Because that would require too much work and who has time for that when there's deep conditioning to be done?
:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:
http://www.bbb.org/

Better Business Bureau. Simple and puts the company on record...though filing a complaint is probably too much work too.

ETA:

Sorry, this is false. Legitimate distributors have catalogs that outline their pricing. The only way you get a discount is if you order things in very large quantities and it's usually only about 7%. Ben's Beauty Supply, PK International, and Beauty Enterprises are White/Korean owned and are the more prominent east coast distributors with superb english speaking staff and salesmen.

Can we hear from people that have actually WORKED at a beauty supply on this issue?

Thanks so much for your post and shedding a different light on it!

AtlantaJJ

AtlantaJJ said:
Is the QhemetBiologics lady black, I just assumed she was because I'm about to drop a chunk of change on her for some products...The next time I buy henna I'm going to try the hennasooq web site as well. Since I've joined this site and I have given it some thought, I have adopted a keep it in the family attitude. Before I was pretty mindless about it..:look: I wish I could get my hands on Miss Jessie, ask her why she charging so much for her products (I know they are good, but dang) and why won't she educate some other salons around the country about her technique (for a fee of course), that way the good can spread around. One thing I notice about "our folks" is that we get something good we tend to sit on it...that's just what I've noticed in my limited experience.
Okay, I just watched the UTube clip...What an eye opener!! THank you so much for sharing that... I grew up around the corner from Kizury in Compton, and I know that wig shop right there on Chrenshaw.. woo, girl Didn't "she say it...if we have to wear our hair short to keep the business in the family, so be it...."

I'm going to buy that DVD also. Thank you! I hope everyone takes a look at this thread... we have so much power in this nation but we don't know how to harness it and use it to our advantage. Knowlege is power.

Jas123

The Star of a Story
FAMUDva said:

But why are asian owned bss in black neighborhoods (usually low-income)and do not employ black people that live in those neighborhood?..I currently live in the Chicago area and used to live in the DC area and all the Asian bss were in black neighborhoods...never in the white middle class & upper class neighborhood.
OT I don't shop @ Walmart for similar type of reasons...almost gave up CVs..still on the fence about them

CurleeDST

There's always Carol's Daughter, Asha's Naturals, Curl Junkie and Oyin products which are all black owned and made. You can mostly order them online and Carol's Daughter is now sold at Sephora.

Check it out - they may have something that works for you and your hair.

Ladykd9 said:
I have seen the video and have read some of your post and think all of you have some good point; however, I don't think supporting a business that is black owned has to be considered boycotting another store. I think we should look at supporting businesses(sp) that are black owned as a positive benefit to our own community. If we do not support our businesses who will? Unfortunately, we are in a society that(on a majority level) does not support black owned business. Years ago there used to be cities that had black owned, hotels, newspapers, restaurants, clothing stores, etc. and when blacks were allowed to go to white owned or other business the black owned business died off(not completely, but a great deal). Why? Because we support others peoples stores faithfully and unfortunately the majority of society does not do the same.
Great topic! I moved from Chicago to Michigan and I am sad to say I don't know of any black owned hair supply stores. I am willing to support if we can find some though.:)

CurleeDST

Probably b/c the individuals who live in those upper crust neighborhoods probably purchase their hair care products from the salons they patronize.

sherylin123 said:
But why are asian owned bss in black neighborhoods (usually low-income)and do not employ black people that live in those neighborhood?..I currently live in the Chicago area and used to live in the DC area and all the Asian bss were in black neighborhoods...never in the white middle class & upper class neighborhood.
OT I don't shop @ Walmart for similar type of reasons...almost gave up CVs..still on the fence about them

FAMUDva

sherylin123 said:

They are there because the business is there. It's smart marketing if you ask me. Supply and demand. Just like they are there, black business owners COULD do the same. I don't live in a lower class neighborhood and they are all around. I can't tell you where the black bss store is located.

My point is I don't choose who I will shop with based on the color of their skin. The same way I'd hope that if I were a small business owner, I'd not want folks to not shop me because I was black without giving me a chance. To each her own.

ETA: There are certainly statistics that show that black women spend much more money on hair care than women of other races in America. This is independent of social status too! Why is that? Most of my white friends go to get their hair done for special occasions and color touch ups. That's it! They don't go to the salon every week or every 2 weeks. They also pick up their products from the local drug store/ discount chain. I ain't saying ALL white women, just the ones I know. You wouldn't make a whole lot of money in a majority white neighborhood selling ONLY hair supplies (IMO).

Last edited:

songbyrd517

Thank you everyone for joining in on this discussion. A lot of valid points have been raised , and that makes me happy. :Rose: Here is my view of it (in brief :look: )

I don't know the exact solution to the problem - and I just want to state the disclaimer that my intention was not to claim so. My goal was to make us aware of the situation and get us talking about it. No progress can be made until people are first aware and then begin to discuss possible solutions. I do agree that Black Americans have a lot of buying power in this country. I also agree that we need to start to break into the business of our own hair on a grander scale. That's the bottom line - we need to step up and do what needs to be done. However, I will still try to shop at black owned black hair care businesses. I am not saying that we should necessarily boycott Asian BSS's... heck, that is dang near impossible. I am just saying that we need to support black owned BSS's as much as possible (as soon as we know where they are). I know that is not always easy either, because you all know that some of us are not always the most professional, and some of us are not always kind and cooperative with our own. However, that is part of the larger problem. We need to become more cooperative with each other, be smarter about our finances, be professionals and pull together. This is precisely why Koreans own most of the Black Hair Care industry right now. They know how to stick together. We need to do the same if we are ever going to make more progress. We also need to take into account the fact that it is becoming increasingly harder for black people to buy wholesale from distributors because they are owned by Asians who do not WANT to sell to black people. Also, products that are produced by black companies are being counter-fitted and sold from these Asian BSS's so that they will not have to buy the product from the black companies. They buy wholesale from the black companies, learn how their products are made, come up with their own cheap version, and then eventually stop buying from the original black manufacturer. This is detrimental to businesses. Therefore, saying "we need to own our own," however true it may be, is not as easy as it sounds. Therefore, if we stop giving them so much of our business, and they know that it is because of what they are doing, it may prompt them to get their act together, and stop putting a lock and the market so that blacks cannot enter.
Once this is done, then maybe we will see more black owned BSS's to support.

You guys are great, and you always provide such wonderful insight from many different angles!!!! Keep it coming ladies!!!!!!! :)

By the way, I don't shop at Wal-Mart either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl: !!!!!!!!!!

Ladykd9

songbyrd517 said:
Thank you everyone for joining in on this discussion. A lot of valid points have been raised , and that makes me happy. :Rose: Here is my view of it (in brief :look: )

I don't know the exact solution to the problem - and I just want to state the disclaimer that my intention was not to claim so. My goal was to make us aware of the situation and get us talking about it. No progress can be made until people are first aware and then begin to discuss possible solutions. I do agree that Black Americans have a lot of buying power in this country. I also agree that we need to start to break into the business of our own hair on a grander scale. That's the bottom line - we need to step up and do what needs to be done. However, I will still try to shop at black owned black hair care businesses. I am not saying that we should necessarily boycott Asian BSS's... heck, that is dang near impossible. I am just saying that we need to support black owned BSS's as much as possible (as soon as we know where they are). I know that is not always easy either, because you all know that some of us are not always the most professional, and some of us are not always kind and cooperative with our own. However, that is part of the larger problem. We need to become more cooperative with each other, be smarter about our finances, be professionals and pull together. This is precisely why Koreans own most of the Black Hair Care industry right now. They know how to stick together. We need to do the same if we are ever going to make more progress. We also need to take into account the fact that it is becoming increasingly harder for black people to buy wholesale from distributors because they are owned by Asians who do not WANT to sell to black people. Also, products that are produced by black companies are being counter-fitted and sold from these Asian BSS's so that they will not have to buy the product from the black companies. They buy wholesale from the black companies, learn how their products are made, come up with their own cheap version, and then eventually stop buying from the original black manufacturer. This is detrimental to businesses. Therefore, saying "we need to own our own," however true it may be, is not as easy as it sounds. Therefore, if we stop giving them so much of our business, and they know that it is because of what they are doing, it may prompt them to get their act together, and stop putting a lock and the market so that blacks cannot enter.
Once this is done, then maybe we will see more black owned BSS's to support.

You guys are great, and you always provide such wonderful insight from many different angles!!!! Keep it coming ladies!!!!!!! :)

By the way, I don't shop at Wal-Mart either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl: !!!!!!!!!!
Well said.

Cayenne0622

Good thread. I don't think there is anything wrong with asking AA's to support and shop at other AA businesses. What's wrong with creating generational wealth in our communities? Other races are doing it and not ashamed to do it. I know in Houston, Asian communities stick together and shop at Asian owned stores, go to Asian dentists, bank with Asian owned banks, etc. And they do it with intent. They seek out these type of businesses to support each other and to continue to grow their communities. Do you honestly think that Asian Americans would choose to patronize a black owned business that was on the same street as an Asian owned business that sells the same products with the same customer service? No, they would not. But I watched it happen for years between a black owned bss and an asian owned bss that were in the same shopping strip. Blacks would be packed in the Asian owned store and only a few in the Black store. The same products were offered for the most part but the Asian store went further with a lot of knock off purses and other stuff besides Beauty supplies.

Of course, you should go where you can find what you need because right now Blacks definitely do not have enough Black owned BSS' to choose from. But IF YOU CAN SUPPORT AN AFRICAN AMERICAN OWNED BUSINESS, PLEASE DO.

I've also discovered that the Asian owned BSS are now hiring mostly hispanic people to work in their stores as stockers, etc. In Houston, illegal immigration is a HUGE problem. These same BSS owners will not hire any Blacks in their stores.

We have to be smart and start in our homes with teaching our children about entrepeneurship and owning businesses. Lots of other communities of people have learned how important this concept is. I have too much to say on this topic so I'll stop now before LHCF logs me out for not posting quickly enough. :D