Asian BSS's - We need to do something ya'll!

tsiporah

cmw45 said:
I agree...to a degree. I think that one of the points that was made in an earlier post/initial post, was that Asian manufactures had decided to stop selling Black Diamond hair care products to black owned BSSs. At that point, I don't think that it is fair to patronize another place of business if they happen to profit from discrimination. I think that is akin to saying, if whites banks decided to stop financing minority loans and therefore miniority business, it would really be OKAY to then only beable to shop at white businesses, just because they weren't the initial denieres of the loans. This is my opinion.

I think my opinion also stems fromt the fact that I go to an IVY league school, where there are very few African Americans, and a lot of Asians. When I would hang out with my asian friends a lot of them would tell me how racist their parents are towards blacks, but that I'm different. I'm somehow the acceptable Negro...just cause I'm able to take my privileged ass to this school. This is not okay with me. I really don't care if they are another MINORITY, being complicit in or advancing OPPRESSION, is never okay! This is my opinion. I will no longer shop at Asian owned BSSs. I would certainly love for us to start a list.

I really didn't take this post as "boycott everything Asian" I am sure one knows of a Asian BSS that behaves and conducts their business in a discriminatory way then by all means BOYCOTT!! But if one knows some LEGITIMATE ones then----OK.

But I think the whole point is:
  1. That we need to patronized own more, if it is possible in your area.
  2. If you know of Asian businesses that are negative, do not patronize.
  3. Awareness.
I Never ever took this thread to be about disenfranchising Asians.

But at the same time. Because we have been treated well by some doesn't mean we should think that every thing is A-Ok. *Sometimes* wonderful things can be done and they laugh behind one's back. Other times they are genuine.

It's a matter of balance and discerning out what it what...a little wisdom.

songbyrd517

tsiporah said:
I really didn't take this post as "boycott everything Asian" I am sure one knows of a Asian BSS that behaves and conducts their business in a discriminatory way then by all means BOYCOTT!! But if one knows some LEGITIMATE ones then----OK.

But I think the whole point is:
  1. That we need to patronized own more, if it is possible in your area.
  2. If you know of Asian businesses that are negative, do not patronize.
  3. Awareness.
I Never ever took this thread to be about disenfranchising Asians.

But at the same time. Because we have been treated well by some doesn't mean we should think that every thing is A-Ok. *Sometimes* wonderful things can be done and they laugh behind one's back. Other times they are genuine.

It's a matter of balance and discerning out what it what...a little wisdom.

Thank you tsiporah. :)

spiceykitten

Songbyrd:

I thank you for your comment. I really like what you wrote.

I was not saying you are a racist or anyone but I wanted to put a different spin that just as there are offensive Koreans there are good Koreans.

However, my total posts is that the problem is not Asian stores. The problem lies within the Black community.

I am sure you may not want to sell to Pookie but Pookie is part of the Black community. My issue is what will be done to sell quality products to the Black community as a whole but not just sell them hair products but also enhance the community as well as educate them.

I have bought from black owned businesses. I bought from Carol Daughter and it was my last purchase. First, one of the products was too thick for my hair and second it took over a month for one of my other products to arrive. I was upset. I was never informed that this product was not available. When I called customer service they said the product was on the way and I could not cancel. When my product arrived I was even more displeased..again to0 heavy for my hair. In addition, I think her prices are a bit high. However, if someone creates a good product that is black I will be willing to spend my dollars. Not because they are black but because I find their products to be of quality.

Songbyrd, I really appreciate you making me feel included in this thread. It means a lot to me and I really appreciate your posture in allowing this to be a positive discussion. I find that to be inspiring. I will continue to try to read your thread and any development you may have in this area. You are definitely a lady.

Now tsiporah:

I am not saying all Asians are kind. However, I cannot speak bad against Asians 1.) Because it is in my blood just as Black is in my blood. 2.) You make the comment that some may snicker behind your back and I am sure this is true but I have had a lot of AA women take me to hell and back than I have had Asian. This comment can be true of all races and ethnic groups.

I am a Guyanese girl but do I expect every Guyanese to be nice to me or have my back..NO. I do not judge by race or ethnic group. I judge whether you QUALIFY to be in my circle by your attitude and posture.

I have a firm belief that when the rapture comes..whether people believe in God or not..well I do that God is not coming to take you in the rapture based on your skin color or ethnic group. God is coming to take you based on your actions. I find it better to watch a person's action. Now that being said, just because a lot of AA have been rude to me does that mean I label every AA and call you all rude etc. NO! I keep trying and I know that even if there is one person that is great that persons outshines the bunch. To me..one blessing is a big blessing. In fact, there is one AA here and she knows who she is that has been a huge blessing to me. She is the sweetest person. I have been so busy and still busy but she wrote me to find out how I was doing. She is so beautiful inside and out. Absolutely beautiful!! I feel honored to be getting know her and I cannot wait till my project is over so we can have a closer relationship.

Again, thanks Songbyrd for allowing me to share my thoughts. I know I can be a bit aggressive at times but my thoughts are always meant to provoke new thoughts and to share.

luvlonghair

cmw45 said:
I think that a lot of blacks have made attempts...but I think this statement makes it seem as though black are just lazy. And I sure as hell know about some black people who are all about making some money.

The real problem stems from the fact that Asian suppliers supply Asian BSSs with products at a cheaper rate than they're willing to sell to non-Asians (this includes whites--my friend's mother just went out of business). Which means that the BSSs owned by members of other races can not compete with the lower prices and are often forced out of business.

To the ladies that have been wondering...I have been scouring the internet to look for a business directory of black-owned business and I have yet to find one that is user friendly or readily accessable. I am working on one with a developer...I will keep you updated.

This explains a lot. I always wondered why they were charging more. The sad thing is that I thought that they were just money hungry. This may go across all boards. Why a store sells a shirt for $20 while the Black owned sells the same for $35. Thanks for educating us (me) on this. I need to make some changes with all my purchases.

songbyrd517

spiceykitten said:
Songbyrd:

I thank you for your comment. I really like what you wrote.

I was not saying you are a racist or anyone but I wanted to put a different spin that just as there are offensive Koreans there are good Koreans.

However, my total posts is that the problem is not Asian stores. The problem lies within the Black community.

I am sure you may not want to sell to Pookie but Pookie is part of the Black community. My issue is what will be done to sell quality products to the Black community as a whole but not just sell them hair products but also enhance the community as well as educate them.

I have bought from black owned businesses. I bought from Carol Daughter and it was my last purchase. First, one of the products was too thick for my hair and second it took over a month for one of my other products to arrive. I was upset. I was never informed that this product was not available. When I called customer service they said the product was on the way and I could not cancel. When my product arrived I was even more displeased..again to0 heavy for my hair. In addition, I think her prices are a bit high. However, if someone creates a good product that is black I will be willing to spend my dollars. Not because they are black but because I find their products to be of quality.

Songbyrd, I really appreciate you making me feel included in this thread. It means a lot to me and I really appreciate your posture in allowing this to be a positive discussion. I find that to be inspiring. I will continue to try to read your thread and any development you may have in this area. You are definitely a lady.

Thank you spiceykitten :kiss: You are quite a lady yourself ;) And you are quite welcome! Please continue to share with us!!!!!!!

caribeandiva

Human being
yeah i watched the documentary on youtube. all 5 parts of it. very informative. that's why i stopped supporting them, and actively seek out and support black businesses instead.

Mahalialee4

I think also that is a 2 way street. We support black business and black business needs to support us in terms of: professionalism, following through on orders, service and punctuality. I agree with so many of the ladies here. I have no patience for Black owned business that treat their black customers like they are mad at the world and them and act like it is an effort to show you a product or tell you about it....I hate 'triflin' attitudes. When I walk in a place I am prepared to drop some cash if they have what I need, even if it costs a little extra. I have no problem tipping. I prefer to tip black people every chance I get, especially if they have given me good service. The main thing is, some black people need to up their social and interpersonal interaction skills and down their attitude and leave their baggage at home when they are in the market place. Some like to treat the front counter like their kitchen table, makeup counter, and hookup command post to chat and give you a little subtle attitude when you "interrupt them so you can ask a question or pay for something." Seldom do some of them say "Thank you and come again." They need to change that. Waving around equipment....not sanitizing the combs and brushes etc. Same old stained up cracked plastic cape that hasn't been changed in a year and scratches your neck! Safety in the workplace is paramount in the beauty salons! And please do not be chewing your food over top of someone's head because you deliberately overbooked and didn't eat all day and I have to listen to your gut growling and you complainin!' and your rude little kids to boot!!!! bonjour

Last edited:

songbyrd517

Mahalialee4 said:
I think also that is a 2 way street. We support black business and black business needs to support us in terms of: professionalism, following through on orders, service and punctuality. I agree with so many of the ladies here. I have no patience for Black owned business that treat their black customers like they are mad at the world and them and act like it is an effort to show you a product or tell you about it....I hate 'triflin' attitudes. When I walk in a place I am prepared to drop some cash if they have what I need, even if it costs a little extra. I have no problem tipping. I prefer to tip black people every chance I get, especially if they have given me good service. The main thing is, some black people need to up their social and interpersonal interaction skills and down their attitude and leave their baggage at home when they are in the market place. Some like to treat the front counter like their kitchen table, makeup counter, and hookup command post to chat and give you a little subtle attitude when you "interrupt them so you can ask a question or pay for something." Seldom do some of them say "Thank you and come again." They need to change that. Waving around equipment....not sanitizing the combs and brushes etc. Same old stained up cracked plastic cape that hasn't been changed in a year and scratches your neck! Safety in the workplace is paramount in the beauty salons! And please do not be chewing your food over top of someone's head because you deliberately overbooked and didn't eat all day and I have to listen to your gut growling and you complainin!' and your rude little kids to boot!!!! bonjour

Great post Mahalialee4. I totally agree :clap: "Some like to treat the front counter like their kitchen table, makeup counter, and hookup command post to chat and give you a little subtle attitude when you "interrupt them so you can ask a question or pay for something." Seldom do some of them say "Thank you and come again." They need to change that." To this, I say Amen :yep: .

CurleeDST

I was watching BET and they were interviewing some Koreans who said that African Americans were easy money b/c we patronize them weekly and change up our hairstyles so often.

Then a black business owner was talking about how he approached a Korean wholesaler to sell him goods wholesale and the guy would not do it b/c he wasn't Korean.

Very interesting - black folks can't give up the weekly hair and nail trips.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

songbyrd517 said:
Thank you everyone for joining in on this discussion. A lot of valid points have been raised , and that makes me happy. :Rose: Here is my view of it (in brief :look: )

I don't know the exact solution to the problem - and I just want to state the disclaimer that my intention was not to claim so. My goal was to make us aware of the situation and get us talking about it. No progress can be made until people are first aware and then begin to discuss possible solutions. I do agree that Black Americans have a lot of buying power in this country. I also agree that we need to start to break into the business of our own hair on a grander scale. That's the bottom line - we need to step up and do what needs to be done. However, I will still try to shop at black owned black hair care businesses. I am not saying that we should necessarily boycott Asian BSS's... heck, that is dang near impossible. I am just saying that we need to support black owned BSS's as much as possible (as soon as we know where they are). I know that is not always easy either, because you all know that some of us are not always the most professional, and some of us are not always kind and cooperative with our own. However, that is part of the larger problem. We need to become more cooperative with each other, be smarter about our finances, be professionals and pull together. This is precisely why Koreans own most of the Black Hair Care industry right now. They know how to stick together. We need to do the same if we are ever going to make more progress. We also need to take into account the fact that it is becoming increasingly harder for black people to buy wholesale from distributors because they are owned by Asians who do not WANT to sell to black people. Also, products that are produced by black companies are being counter-fitted and sold from these Asian BSS's so that they will not have to buy the product from the black companies. They buy wholesale from the black companies, learn how their products are made, come up with their own cheap version, and then eventually stop buying from the original black manufacturer. This is detrimental to businesses. Therefore, saying "we need to own our own," however true it may be, is not as easy as it sounds. Therefore, if we stop giving them so much of our business, and they know that it is because of what they are doing, it may prompt them to get their act together, and stop putting a lock and the market so that blacks cannot enter.
Once this is done, then maybe we will see more black owned BSS's to support.

You guys are great, and you always provide such wonderful insight from many different angles!!!! Keep it coming ladies!!!!!!! :)

By the way, I don't shop at Wal-Mart either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl: !!!!!!!!!!

I agree. We gotta start somewhere. Yeah, Walmart, Target, Sears and others and not putting moneys back into our community, but one must admit that we as women (and some men) spend an astonishing amount of money on BLACK HAIR CARE PRODUCTS. It is so recognizeable and mind boggling.

I have already started. I don't shop at Asian/Arab beauty supplies, I order my products as much as possible from myashas, myhoneychild, etc and I discontinued shopping at Walmart.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

CurleeDST said:
From what I read I don't believe anyone is saying there is a problem with asking AAs to support other AA businesses. Being a former business student at FAMU and now being in the real world for well over 15 years climbing corporate ladders and particpiating in business ventures, I must say - black-owned businesses need to realize we should go after everyone's money - not such a specific target market b/c EVERY market can be fickle if you niche yourself so specifically. Branch out, take a chance. My neighbors own a property management firm - they are black and very wealthy. They hire mostly AAs but have a few caucasians working for them as well.

They have a mix of clients but they are all high end. They also have a maid service and they service yet again, high end clients. Their staff is AAs who otherwise may not get employed because they are HIV positive, never finished H.S. or went to college, etc.

They don't ONLY service AAs with rental properties that need managing. They don't ONLY service AAs who need their Mcmansions and estates cleaned. They service a certain level of clientele and provide them the excellent and high tier service that level of clientele requires and expects. They are helping out our community by employing our own (eventhough many of their employees come with some serious BAGGAGE and bad thieving habits from their past) but all-in-all they continue to hire our own as the maintenance men, office workers, property managers, office managers, cleaning ladies and more. What's better, patronizing one business helping one family or a business hiring many black people helping many families?

Also, this black couple are very benevolent and donate much of their money to real causes that impact the black community and tithe faithfully and traditionally b/c ironically enough, the husband was HOMELESS 20 years ago and now the Lord has blessed him 100-fold from where he was because he was faithful.

All in all, I say black businesses should branch out, have competitive pricing (many times when I have patronized a black BSS their prices are typically marked up at least 5% to 10% higher than a cheapie Asian BSS, I could care less about those raggedy-looking knock off bags or cheap earrings) so at that point it is about economics and getting the most for your hard-earned dollar. But trust me ladies, there are bigger and better ways to make an impact in the black community than just patronizing beauty supply stores owned by blacks - what about clothing boutiques, hair dressers (many of them are black-owned), restaurants, car dealerships, realtors (buy a $500K or more home to make their commission worth their time and effort), beauty spas, and the list goes on and on.

:cry3: This is beautiful!

B

Bublnbrnsuga

spiceykitten said:
Thanks Camellia!!

I really want people to understand that the issue of Black owned businesses goes way deeper than boycotting an Asian store.

If Blacks cannot even get past color issues, ethnic issues, and we are suppose to be one so you will understand if I am late or mistreat you. I stand by what I said "Sista, I want my money because my landlord or mortgage company wants his money". And "No I am not your homie or N..gga". I am the woman you are buying from and please keep that straight in your mind.

I cannot tell you how many IOU my best friend parents had at their store. Up to 100 of dollars for one person. I cannot pay you but then come in the store with their hair done and sometimes even a new gold chain!! Now this sounds like a sterotype but I saw it before my eyes. Thank God they no longer own the store.

I cannot tell you how I watched my best friend mother's hands bleed from someone throwing bricks at her because she refused to offer another IOU. Do you think Pookie is going to have less pity on you? I think some people better open their minds..Pookie is going to be tougher and Pookie may even kill you.

The issue is way deeper. As I said, I am a business woman but I have also worked as a Social Worker and seen a lot.

I am not saying a Black business cannot succeed. I know it can but people need to be aware to be a successful black business does not mean because someone is the color of your skin that the deeper underlining issue of why the Black community wealth is in the hands of whites and other minorities will just go away. It is this issue that keeps most Black businesses down.

Debbie Allen once said at the United Negro College Show..excuse me if I busted up this prominent show but I do not watch much television. Well she took off her phony pony and said "If we stopped investing so much in our hair, we would not need scholarships. Alot of us could be millionaires by now. People think".

Since, I started doing my own hair and stopped relaxing the savings has been wonderful. Mind you I only relaxed less than 4 times a year.

It is sad to think when Black women think of getting braids..it is with some horse or human hair. I have fought to find posts with women growing their hair with braiding their own hair. Since when is getting braids..adding synthetic or fake hair. I got enough hair and prefer to use my own.

The money black women spend on their hair goes way deeper than Pookie..it just starts with Pookie.

HOT DIGGITY!

Candy1978

I am going to talk to a friend of mine, and I am going to try to start a nationwide Asian Beauty Supply store boycott. I am going to do some research of some products that will be approved during the boycott. I'm sure there are online vendors, dominican products, cathy howse, crown & glory products, and some products that we can make in our own darn kitchens that can keep our hair up until the boycott is over. I have been upset over this issue for a long time, and 2007 is the time to do something about it. We've got to hit them were it hurts, in the pocket book. We didn't get to ride at the front of the bus because we were passive. We are strong people. We have strong wills and strong minds. We can go 2 or 3 months without a darn weave or going to buy from them. If you are willing to participate e-mail me, so we can get this nationwide boycott going. I bet you 2-3 months without shopping there they will show some respect, and stop monoploizing the set. Besides we need to take back what Madam CJ Walker worked so hard for. If you are with me e-mail me at [email protected] or [email protected] we need some people to do some research on which products are Asian owned, and which products can be used as substitutes, so people to help inlist some hollywood star power. Lets start a movement and make some history in 2007!!!!!!

SparklingFlame

I think its pretty pathetic that this thread was rated a one star. By more than one person. I rated it 5 stars just to counter act this crazy mess. What in the world is so bad about this thread? My goodness!!! :mad::mad: I rarely get mad on this forum. Well mad enough to say anything anyway but this has really gotten under my skin! What is so bad, no terrible about wanting to take back our own business??? :confused:

hennagirl

FAMUDva said:
Honestly I support the BEST business based on how I'm treated, the quality of service and the quality of products I choose. I've NEVER chosen to shop somewhere just because someone black owns it!

I guess I don't get the whole "boycott all things Asian" idea... If that be the case ladies should boycott Sally's, Wal-Mart, CVS, Target, etc for their hair care products! Those places are not "black" owned.

In my neighborhood the little Asian guy who owns the 2 BSS remembers me, orders anything that I specifically tell him I need and it's there when he tells me it will be there. He's courteous and treats me like any mom-and-pop store would. I don't know whether or not there is a black BSS store near me, because I'm happy with the one I go to. I do know there are 2 Sally's near and I don't go to them because my little local shop has everything I need and cheaper than Sally's.

If you ask me, all MINORITY business owners should learn the secrets of great marketing, sales, and customer support! I expect this from ALL businesses I use. I'm not saying that black business don't have such, but too often we champion a cause without expect more! This is my opinion.

ITA, FAMDVA. I do not believe it is a good idea to boycott all Asian beauty supply stores as a priniciple. I think we as individuals should expect good service whereever we shop and refuse to give our dollars on an individual basis to those who do not treat us properly. In my area, the proprietor of all the Asian BSS stores are cordial and helpful to me. HOWEVER, I am equally polite to them. I see a number of people who are absolutely rude and "shady" acting who don't get courteous service. Quite frankly, I wouldn't be very courteous to them either. I am defining rude as shouting things How much this is?, You kidding, That's bullsht, This sht ain't worth it, etc. I define shady as taking merchandise to the corners of the store and huddling in twos or threes. I would challenge individuals who feel as if they were treated poorly to consider how they acted. Just my two cents.

hennagirl

I cannot speak to who supplies what to whom ever, I just know not many black BSS exist in my area and I live in a middle- upper middle class area of Metro Atlanta. So, why is that so? If blacks don't own the businesses where I live how can someone possibly decide not to sell something to them if they don't exist? That's my question. My other question or point was that I don't support a business just because someone black runs it. I will give them a chance, but I don't have mental notes of who I will and will not patronize based on their ethnic background.[/quote]

Ladies, I think this is a slippery, slippery slope for black Americans. We should think very long and hard before we start talking about boycotts based on racial groups. It would be way too easy to turn this around and make us look ridiculous. How would we be made to look ridiculous, you ask How fast do you think we would raise a hue and cry if Asians or any other group said they weren't going to patronize black-owned _____'s.

mona_cherie

This is so funny that this thread popped up. I have been talking to some friends of mine about wanted to open a Beauty Supply store in my area because I have never seen a Black-owned one here.