Asian BSS's - We need to do something ya'll!

LondonDiva

Over here it's the Indian (asians) that seem to run and own the crux of the Black hair and FOOD places. I'm personally tired of it. I get my hardobread and bun from the BLACK owned and staffed bakery and get my hair products from the BLACK owned and RUN BSS (Nubian Jack for all the London sistahs) If they are out of what I want then my next stop is Peckham where there are plenty of Black owned stores Yinka springs to mind. But I patronise the black stores first and foremost.

Mahalialee4

Walmart hires black people. Asians and Indian Asians hire Asians, Indians and whites until they get settled and then they hire only their own. My point is, I mainly shop for what I want when it comes to hair care, but not in places where I can not find at least one black face at a till. Even if I have to go without or out of my way. And if I do not get treated right, I shop where I will be treated as a valuable customer and not condescended to. bonjour

CurleeDST

From what I read I don't believe anyone is saying there is a problem with asking AAs to support other AA businesses. Being a former business student at FAMU and now being in the real world for well over 15 years climbing corporate ladders and particpiating in business ventures, I must say - black-owned businesses need to realize we should go after everyone's money - not such a specific target market b/c EVERY market can be fickle if you niche yourself so specifically. Branch out, take a chance. My neighbors own a property management firm - they are black and very wealthy. They hire mostly AAs but have a few caucasians working for them as well.

They have a mix of clients but they are all high end. They also have a maid service and they service yet again, high end clients. Their staff is AAs who otherwise may not get employed because they are HIV positive, never finished H.S. or went to college, etc.

They don't ONLY service AAs with rental properties that need managing. They don't ONLY service AAs who need their Mcmansions and estates cleaned. They service a certain level of clientele and provide them the excellent and high tier service that level of clientele requires and expects. They are helping out our community by employing our own (eventhough many of their employees come with some serious BAGGAGE and bad thieving habits from their past) but all-in-all they continue to hire our own as the maintenance men, office workers, property managers, office managers, cleaning ladies and more. What's better, patronizing one business helping one family or a business hiring many black people helping many families?

Also, this black couple are very benevolent and donate much of their money to real causes that impact the black community and tithe faithfully and traditionally b/c ironically enough, the husband was HOMELESS 20 years ago and now the Lord has blessed him 100-fold from where he was because he was faithful.

All in all, I say black businesses should branch out, have competitive pricing (many times when I have patronized a black BSS their prices are typically marked up at least 5% to 10% higher than a cheapie Asian BSS, I could care less about those raggedy-looking knock off bags or cheap earrings) so at that point it is about economics and getting the most for your hard-earned dollar. But trust me ladies, there are bigger and better ways to make an impact in the black community than just patronizing beauty supply stores owned by blacks - what about clothing boutiques, hair dressers (many of them are black-owned), restaurants, car dealerships, realtors (buy a $500K or more home to make their commission worth their time and effort), beauty spas, and the list goes on and on.

Cayenne0622 said:
Good thread. I don't think there is anything wrong with asking AA's to support and shop at other AA businesses. What's wrong with creating generational wealth in our communities? Other races are doing it and not ashamed to do it. I know in Houston, Asian communities stick together and shop at Asian owned stores, go to Asian dentists, bank with Asian owned banks, etc. And they do it with intent. They seek out these type of businesses to support each other and to continue to grow their communities. Do you honestly think that Asian Americans would choose to patronize a black owned business that was on the same street as an Asian owned business that sells the same products with the same customer service? No, they would not. But I watched it happen for years between a black owned bss and an asian owned bss that were in the same shopping strip. Blacks would be packed in the Asian owned store and only a few in the Black store. The same products were offered for the most part but the Asian store went further with a lot of knock off purses and other stuff besides Beauty supplies.

Of course, you should go where you can find what you need because right now Blacks definitely do not have enough Black owned BSS' to choose from. But IF YOU CAN SUPPORT AN AFRICAN AMERICAN OWNED BUSINESS, PLEASE DO.

I've also discovered that the Asian owned BSS are now hiring mostly hispanic people to work in their stores as stockers, etc. In Houston, illegal immigration is a HUGE problem. These same BSS owners will not hire any Blacks in their stores.

We have to be smart and start in our homes with teaching our children about entrepeneurship and owning businesses. Lots of other communities of people have learned how important this concept is. I have too much to say on this topic so I'll stop now before LHCF logs me out for not posting quickly enough. :D

mango387

FAMUDva said:
This statement describes Wal-Mart and Home Depot EXACTLY! I mean to a tee! This is why there are no more mom and pop 5 and dimes, but there is no large scale boycott of Wal-Mart.

Wal-mart TELLS manufactors what they will pay, and manufactors comply because Wal-Mart is the giant. It's the biggest of American capitilism at it's best. Not fair, but it's how America operates. Survival of the fittest.

I'm not saying it's right, but I'd have to research EVERY service provider if I was going to hold each and every asian store to this standard.

FAMUDiva, I haven't stopped shopping at Wal-mart (Broke grad student:( ), but I have a lot of friends (black) who refuse to enter a Wal-mart because of the things that you mentioned. Moreover, some neighborhoods (one in San Diego I believe) have been successful in keeping Wal-Mart out, because of a local united front. Finally, the results from Black Friday and the past few months were rather disappointing for Wal-Mart, because they have had a difficult time keeping their base clientele and reaching out to their upperclass consumers who will go to Costco/Whole Foods/Target (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15990209/). I say all of this to say, all things are possible. Someone mentioned that she had an Asian storekeeper who really became part of the community. I would support people like her, but I would be even happier to support other African-Americans.

***I am not sure how the small business loans work, but I know that it can be difficult for a low-debt, higher income black person to get a regular (personal?) loan especially when that person is a male. I had a relative who went through something trying to get a loan. He was in school on a full scholarship, had a steady job that he had held since high school, decent credit, and no criminal record, and he just wanted a small loan (less than 4k I believe). You would have thought he was trying to have lunch w/ the Queen of England or something.

Last edited:

Ms Lala

CurleeDST said:
.have competitive pricing (many times when I have patronized a black BSS their prices are typically marked up at least 5% to 10% higher than a cheapie Asian BSS, I could care less about those raggedy-looking knock off bags or cheap earrings) so at that point it is about economics and getting the most for your hard-earned dollar. But trust me ladies, there are bigger and better ways to make an impact in the black community than just patronizing beauty supply stores owned by blacks - what about clothing boutiques, hair dressers (many of them are black-owned), restaurants, car dealerships, realtors (buy a $500K or more home to make their commission worth their time and effort), beauty spas, and the list goes on and on.

I agree. HOnestly many of those beauty supply stores do not make much money. I have taught Asian students who parents owned these types of business (restaurants and beauty supply stores) most of them don't make a whole lot and live kind of poor especially if they are working there and not the owner. I think Blacks have branched out into other more lucrative businesses if we look around. WE are making hair care product lines, I know a woman who is rich from creating a type of weave, we are writing hair care books, we are making money in other parts of the industry that bring profit. We own multimillion dollar businesses now a days. My husband is involved in business/financial planning and we've talked about this issue and concluded that it really wouldn't be worth the money to open a beauty supply . Think about how cheap they sell the products. I patronize black businesses of all types in general. Let's support black product makers like Waajid, Carols Daughter etc... wherever they're selling the products. Some of Asian BSS carry the smaller lines of products like Waajid and UBH that Sally's and Walmart don't have. BTW the ones in my area do higher black workers. I agree with CurleeDST that there are many ways we can impact the community, let's invest our money properly, set up community centers, fix up the schools, and if we want our own beauty supplies let's do something new and out of the box. Let's not set up a corner shop doing the same thing everyone else does. Instead of owning beauty supplies let's create the products, let's own the building they're renting space in, let's make new types of comb , brushes and flat irons, let's find a way to get into the distribution side (is it still possible).
sorry so long.

Last edited:

Qetesh

Ms Lala said:
I agree. HOnestly many of those beauty supply stores do not make much money. I have taught Asian students who parents owned these types of business (restaurants and beauty supply stores) most of them don't make a whole lot and live kind of poor especially if they are working there and not the owner. I think Blacks have branched out into other more lucrative businesses if we look around. WE are making hair care product lines, I know a woman who is rich from creating a type of weave, we are writing hair care books, we are making money in other parts of the industry that bring profit. We own multimillion dollar businesses now a days. My husband is involved in business/financial planning and we've talked about this issue and concluded that it really wouldn't be worth the money to open a beauty supply . Think about how cheap they sell the products. I patronize black businesses of all types in general. Let's support black product makers like Waajid, Carols Daughter etc... wherever they're selling the products. Some of Asian BSS carry the smaller lines of products like Waajid and UBH that Sally's and Walmart don't have. BTW the ones in my area do higher black workers. I agree with CurleeDST that there are many ways we can impact the community, let's invest our money properly, set up community centers, fix up the schools, and if we want our own beauty supplies let's do something new and out of the box. Let's not set up a corner shop doing the same thing everyone else does. Instead of owning beauty supplies let's create the products, let's own the building they're renting space in, let's make new types of comb , brushes and flat irons, let's find a way to get into the distribution side (is it still possible).
sorry so long.
This thread is very thought provoking.

I agree with the above poster as far as AA branching out.

I do feel that AA need to own more businesses not only that they need to manufacture more, too often we buy products not even targeted to us an example being Cristal and Jay-Z he boycotted them after their racist comments. Why can’t we make products for ourselves and for other people? The thing is if AA makes it popular EVERYONE will buy it, I don’t think AA realizes how much buying power we have not only over AA’s but other races as well. I know this is getting away from hair care but it’s all related. If we can be creative about what we make we can cross racial lines easily.

With that being said a lot of times we as AA are our own worst critic’s and customers. It’s almost like we do not like to see each other do well. If we don’t wanna see ourselves do well believe me no1 else will either. I think in general we need to understand we are all in this together so help each other as much as possible, weather it be donating your time (if your broke) or donating some of your money, giving back or supporting local businesses. Too often AA’s expect you to buy from them, or even non wealthy ones expect a hand out from those that do have wealth. The problem is AA’s never go into things expecting anything from white people yet generally speaking you can blame a lot of your problems on them, I am not saying AA’s should expect anything from them my point is don’t EXPECT anything from anyone. Just be grateful when things do come along and give back as much as you can yourself.

songbyrd517

CurleeDST said:
From what I read I don't believe anyone is saying there is a problem with asking AAs to support other AA businesses. Being a former business student at FAMU and now being in the real world for well over 15 years climbing corporate ladders and particpiating in business ventures, I must say - black-owned businesses need to realize we should go after everyone's money - not such a specific target market b/c EVERY market can be fickle if you niche yourself so specifically. Branch out, take a chance. My neighbors own a property management firm - they are black and very wealthy. They hire mostly AAs but have a few caucasians working for them as well.

They have a mix of clients but they are all high end. They also have a maid service and they service yet again, high end clients. Their staff is AAs who otherwise may not get employed because they are HIV positive, never finished H.S. or went to college, etc.

They don't ONLY service AAs with rental properties that need managing. They don't ONLY service AAs who need their Mcmansions and estates cleaned. They service a certain level of clientele and provide them the excellent and high tier service that level of clientele requires and expects. They are helping out our community by employing our own (eventhough many of their employees come with some serious BAGGAGE and bad thieving habits from their past) but all-in-all they continue to hire our own as the maintenance men, office workers, property managers, office managers, cleaning ladies and more. What's better, patronizing one business helping one family or a business hiring many black people helping many families?

Also, this black couple are very benevolent and donate much of their money to real causes that impact the black community and tithe faithfully and traditionally b/c ironically enough, the husband was HOMELESS 20 years ago and now the Lord has blessed him 100-fold from where he was because he was faithful.

All in all, I say black businesses should branch out, have competitive pricing (many times when I have patronized a black BSS their prices are typically marked up at least 5% to 10% higher than a cheapie Asian BSS, I could care less about those raggedy-looking knock off bags or cheap earrings) so at that point it is about economics and getting the most for your hard-earned dollar. But trust me ladies, there are bigger and better ways to make an impact in the black community than just patronizing beauty supply stores owned by blacks - what about clothing boutiques, hair dressers (many of them are black-owned), restaurants, car dealerships, realtors (buy a $500K or more home to make their commission worth their time and effort), beauty spas, and the list goes on and on.

I agree. This is a very good point. :rofl: Supporting black owned BSS's is one way to help out (once we stop over charging and learn how to treat people), but it is DEFINITELY not the only way. This is very interesting and thought provoking ladies! :bookworm:

Just something else to ponder... Not that is makes it right, but do Black owned BSS's mark thier prices up because the can't seem to make enough money? With the market dominated by non-Blacks, his may have something to do with it. What do you all think?

(I can't justify the attitude problems though! My people, my people :lol: )

songbyrd517

cmw45 said:
I agree...to a degree. I think that one of the points that was made in an earlier post/initial post, was that Asian manufactures had decided to stop selling Black Diamond hair care products to black owned BSSs. At that point, I don't think that it is fair to patronize another place of business if they happen to profit from discrimination. I think that is akin to saying, if whites banks decided to stop financing minority loans and therefore miniority business, it would really be OKAY to then only beable to shop at white businesses, just because they weren't the initial denieres of the loans. This is my opinion.

I think my opinion also stems fromt the fact that I go to an IVY league school, where there are very few African Americans, and a lot of Asians. When I would hang out with my asian friends a lot of them would tell me how racist their parents are towards blacks, but that I'm different. I'm somehow the acceptable Negro...just cause I'm able to take my privileged ass to this school. This is not okay with me. I really don't care if they are another MINORITY, being complicit in or advancing OPPRESSION, is never okay! This is my opinion. I will no longer shop at Asian owned BSSs. I would certainly love for us to start a list.

I totally agree with you. I have had a similar experience with people at my school. And some would be surprised to hear what some of those same people who are pushing products to us call us when were not paying attention. And the nasty things they say about our hair :naughty:

plainj

songbyrd517 said:
I don't know the exact solution to the problem - and I just want to state the disclaimer that my intention was not to claim so. My goal was to make us aware of the situation and get us talking about it. No progress can be made until people are first aware and then begin to discuss possible solutions. I do agree that Black Americans have a lot of buying power in this country. I also agree that we need to start to break into the business of our own hair on a grander scale. That's the bottom line - we need to step up and do what needs to be done. However, I will still try to shop at black owned black hair care businesses. I am not saying that we should necessarily boycott Asian BSS's... heck, that is dang near impossible. I am just saying that we need to support black owned BSS's as much as possible (as soon as we know where they are). I know that is not always easy either, because you all know that some of us are not always the most professional, and some of us are not always kind and cooperative with our own. However, that is part of the larger problem. We need to become more cooperative with each other, be smarter about our finances, be professionals and pull together. This is precisely why Koreans own most of the Black Hair Care industry right now. They know how to stick together. We need to do the same if we are ever going to make more progress. We also need to take into account the fact that it is becoming increasingly harder for black people to buy wholesale from distributors because they are owned by Asians who do not WANT to sell to black people. Also, products that are produced by black companies are being counter-fitted and sold from these Asian BSS's so that they will not have to buy the product from the black companies. They buy wholesale from the black companies, learn how their products are made, come up with their own cheap version, and then eventually stop buying from the original black manufacturer. This is detrimental to businesses. Therefore, saying "we need to own our own," however true it may be, is not as easy as it sounds. Therefore, if we stop giving them so much of our business, and they know that it is because of what they are doing, it may prompt them to get their act together, and stop putting a lock and the market so that blacks cannot enter.
Once this is done, then maybe we will see more black owned BSS's to support.
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :up: Very well said!

Ariana4000

I have worked in an Korean owed BSS for a few years and also part-time. Their business ethics are not the same as what is taught in America. They will find nothing wrong with doing business ONLY with other Koreans. They once had a business partner who was part Indian. And the only reason they did business with him was because he was Korean on the FATHER'S side. They told me point black, if the father was Indian. Then he would not be a partner. They find nothing wrong with this type of thinking. So I would assume it would be 10x harder for a full blown black person to do business with them since they monopolize that particular industry. They bring that type of business ethics to America.

CurleeDST

Excellent points Ms. Lala. I say THINK BIG! Many of these beauty supply stores have VERY slim profit margins (I have a friend who opened and closed one who is AA). They don't make money like talking about. The manufacturers and suppliers are making the money. Not the retailers. But as Ms. Lala points out, get into more lucrative lines of business or be on the more lucrative end of the supply chain. Why fight over the races making the pennies when there are DOLLARS to be made?

Spoke to my neighbors this morning - yes there are many hispanic people doing the actual work but the real person making the money is the contractor holding the license cutting the deal. My friends are AA, own their own cleaning service and rehab homes and they use minority labor but they OWN the company. That is what I am talking about.

Ms Lala said:
sorry so long.

CurleeDST

Honestly, while the black haircare line is a multi-billion dollar enterprise, I say focus on where most of those dollars are being made and gain a solid foothold there. I don't care to be on the $100K end of that deal leaving that much money on the table or squabbling over pennies. Not worth my time or human capital.

songbyrd517 said:
I agree. This is a very good point. :rofl: Supporting black owned BSS's is one way to help out (once we stop over charging and learn how to treat people), but it is DEFINITELY not the only way. This is very interesting and thought provoking ladies! :bookworm:

Just something else to ponder... Not that is makes it right, but do Black owned BSS's mark thier prices up because the can't seem to make enough money? With the market dominated by non-Blacks, his may have something to do with it. What do you all think?

(I can't justify the attitude problems though! My people, my people :lol: )

Ms Lala

CurleeDST said:
Honestly, while the black haircare line is a multi-billion dollar enterprise, I say focus on where most of those dollars are being made and gain a solid foothold there. I don't care to be on the $100K end of that deal leaving that much money on the table or squabbling over pennies. Not worth my time or human capital.

Girl I am totally feeling what you are saying!!!!!!!

shocol

Ariana4000 said:
I have worked in an Korean owed BSS for a few years and also part-time. Their business ethics are not the same as what is taught in America. They will find nothing wrong with doing business ONLY with other Koreans. They once had a business partner who was part Indian. And the only reason they did business with him was because he was Korean on the FATHER'S side. They told me point black, if the father was Indian. Then he would not be a partner. They find nothing wrong with this type of thinking. So I would assume it would be 10x harder for a full blown black person to do business with them since they monopolize that particular industry. They bring that type of business ethics to America.

Thank you for posting this! I agree with everything that has been posted in this thread. However, I don't see the need to leave even the pennies on the table, especially for an industry worth BILLIONS of dollars. And apparently others think this way too. Considering how non-Blacks are entrenched in the black hair care industry, if we truly want control of our hair care industry, then, yes, there will be some pain and inconvenience involved from the manufacturer to the consumer.

CurleeDST

My point is, if there is any reason to stress over it - stress over the dollars, not fight over mere pennies. There is enough money for everyone to make money so they can have the pennies while our people make the dollars. No biggie.

Why boycott over pennies when it is the big wheeling and dealing manufacturers owned by whites (Carson, etc.) marketed to blacks making the billions? And we are worrying about the asian beauty supply store? I say go to the source, cut out all the middle man.

But if people want to raise capital and open a beauty supply store - more power to them I support that effort. Make sure you do your research, market well and make sure your pricing is COMPETITIVE so do what you gotta do to ensure that.

shocol said:
Thank you for posting this! I agree with everything that has been posted in this thread. However, I don't see the need to leave even the pennies on the table, especially for an industry worth BILLIONS of dollars. And apparently others think this way too. Considering how non-Blacks are entrenched in the black hair care industry, if we truly want control of our hair care industry, then, yes, there will be some pain and inconvenience involved from the manufacturer to the consumer.

NoNapNique

I am not one to jump on a boycott bandwagon... But I certainly can see myself boycotting ALL asian-owned businesses, not just BSS. Because I'm treated poorly. They all seem to have bad attitudes and make comments to you that you almost can't believe someone would make - let alone a business owner who is taking YOUR money... I would say in the last 15 years my worst consumer experiences have been with Asian owned businesses! It's like they do not have basic manners or any business sense beyond setting up shop and depositing your money in their bank account :mad:

SparklingFlame

Thanks for posting. I have been thinking about this problem for a while now. IMHP I think that if we all stopped wearing weaves/extentions then that would really hurt the asian suppliers. Weaves are thier biggest $$ makers. If we really show them that we mean business (pun intended) by doing a serious boycott then they will be more willing to stop locking us out of the market.

CurleeDST

Wow, in your case I can definitely understand why this may hit close to home for you. The primary businesses where I see they tend to focus include beauty supply stores, take out restaurants and dry cleaners.

I have worked with asians who are vendors and consultants but that is on a different level and have not encountered rudeness from them.

NoNapNique said:
I am not one to jump on a boycott bandwagon... But I certainly can see myself boycotting ALL asian-owned businesses, not just BSS. Because I'm treated poorly. They all seem to have bad attitudes and make comments to you that you almost can't believe someone would make - let alone a business owner who is taking YOUR money... I would say in the last 15 years my worst consumer experiences have been with Asian owned businesses! It's like they do not have basic manners or any business sense beyond setting up shop and depositing your money in their bank account :mad:

Ms Lala

NoNapNique said:

Now unfair treatment is definitely a reason to boycott!!!

shocol

CurleeDST said:
My point is, if there is any reason to stress over it - stress over the dollars, not fight over mere pennies. There is enough money for everyone to make money so they can have the pennies while our people make the dollars. No biggie.

Why boycott over pennies when it is the big wheeling and dealing manufacturers owned by whites (Carson, etc.) marketed to blacks making the billions? And we are worrying about the asian beauty supply store? I say go to the source, cut out all the middle man.

But if people want to raise capital and open a beauty supply store - more power to them I support that effort. Make sure you do your research, market well and make sure your pricing is COMPETITIVE so do what you gotta do to ensure that.

ITA...when I said that about not leaving pennies on the table, I meant the entire supply(?) chain, from manufacturer-wholesaler-distributor-retailer-consumer. We are talking about the Asian beauty supply store as if they are sole source of the problem, but from what I'm seeing and reading they control their supply chain.

Qt girl

I don't know if someone already posted this but here's a link to the full length DVD on you tube.

Part One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p96aaTSdrAE

Part Two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWeLiXHcSyU

Part Three: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azfEeDRvdlc

Part Four: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m67P2kT7TzQ

The update: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT-nX25UrsI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jGFByhs-0w

Bobsa is the organization that is highlighted in the film and they aren't calling for a full out boycott of other stores but they want to support Black-owned stores as they face road blocks in their businesses.

CAPlush

NoNapNique said:

I have made a series of unconcious decisions over the years to not engage in business with Asians as a customer. Don't get me wrong, I work with some very classy Asian people and I do learn from them. But, in terms of going to the bss, nail shop, donut shop, and buffet owned by Asians, I just don't do it anymore. Their food has poisoned me, the bss has huge cameras up watching me, the nail shop sanitary practices gives me the heeby jeebies, and once, when I went to the donut shop to get a breakfast burrito, the lady gave me a Jack-in-the Box packet of salsa to go with it. I was bowled over at the cheapness.

spiceykitten

I know some will throw rocks at me but I do not care. Everyone has spoke their opinion and I need to speak mine.

I get so upset when I read post like this for my best friend of many years is Korean and her son is my godson. Her parents treated me like their own child. I would go shopping with them at Korean stores and even call them Mummy and Daddy in front of other Koreans. They would introduce me to other Koreans as well and treat me well. If I needed a dollar or even more they would give it to me. When I volunteered to work at their store with my best friend they gave us an equal allowance.

I would sleep at their house and even lived with my best friend and her husband for a month in their small apartment until I found my own.

My friend's parents had a store in a low income neighborhood and guess what..most Blacks were rude and nasty. I even got in an argument because I could not believe the behavior.

I must also say this, most AA complain that other groups are advancing but think why some AA do not advance.

What is that AA and some Blacks in other countries need to learn.

When I lived in Europe I was so upset that I had to go to a European shop to get my hair products. I wanted to patronize a BLACK shop or Africans but guess what...their products were below my standards. I am not using some Pink Oil on my hair and I am not overpaying for that piece of crap either.

It killed me each time I walked in a European store to buy a quality product but I had no choice until I found another store.

I finally found an Indian store. I was so happy to find my precious alma oil and get my plantains all in one spot.

I am not racist. I have received prejudice from both black and white. Mostly AA to be honest. Overall, I am a business woman and I do understand business practices. In fact, I have a MBA.

I want the best for my money. I do not care if you are black, green, yellow or even purple. I want the best products and I am not paying a lot either because I value my dollar.

When I think of selling or buying a product (good or service) I never think of race. My first thing is will it sell or is it a good deal and is this the best for everyone. I must say this for some Blacks can be hateful and envious and always questioning someone if they put a product out.

And I do like certain things that other races and ethnic groups make. I do not know about any of you but I am not giving up my Italian purses or shoes fjust to support a sista or brother.

Think about how some Blacks run the hair salons. I stopped going for they kept F---ing up my hair and waiting 6 hours to get my hair done..WTF. My best experience was in a European man chair.

I can remember the last time I let a sista flatiron my hair. Well she kept waving her flatiron around my face talking to another woman. The other woman kept saying your hair is so long and she kept saying "Girl your hair is not bad at all". Now I am not paying you to tell you about my hair and to have some girl all up in my hair. I just want to get my hair done and get out. The only good thing was she got my brastrap hair washed and flatironed in 45 minutes. I call that good service but the waving of the flatiron, loud music etc made me never go back. Mind you this was downtown in the city near my work.

Let us also face it Pookie around the corner does not care about politics or business. Pookie just wants her hair done and cannot wait to get her weave whether it is from you or the Korean lady down the street. Many ladies here are knowledgeable and great but many Black women still think DIRT grows hair. A lot of black women have a long way to go and boycotting is not the answer because if you think Pookie is going to be nice..well think twice. Pookie will question you more because you are suppose to be sista and why can't pookie get a discount or pay you back later..we suppose to be sista. Well sista I want my money. The subject of Black business goes way deeper.

If we are still fighting about relaxed vs natural, light vs dark, AA vs Black of other ethnic groups well working and selling to other Blacks you better have a plan.

It is all about priority and some Blacks need to find out what priority means. How can you expect someone to put you first if you do not do that for yourself. Boycotting is not the answer. I challenge each of you to look deeper for the answer and solutions that will not only bring business back in the hands of the Black community but enhance it as well.

camellia

spiceykitten said:
I know some will throw rocks at me but I do not care. Everyone has spoke their opinion and I need to speak mine.

I get so upset when I read post like this for my best friend of many years is Korean and her son is my godson. Her parents treated me like their own child. I would go shopping with them at Korean stores and even call them Mummy and Daddy in front of other Koreans. They would introduce me to other Koreans as well and treat me well. If I needed a dollar or even more they would give it to me. When I volunteered to work at their store with my best friend they gave us an equal allowance.

I would sleep at their house and even lived with my best friend and her husband for a month in their small apartment until I found my own.

My friend's parents had a store in a low income neighborhood and guess what..most Blacks were rude and nasty. I even got in an argument because I could not believe the behavior.

I must also say this, most AA complain that other groups are advancing but think why some AA do not advance.

When I lived in Europe I was so upset that I had to go to a European shop to get my hair products. I wanted to patronize a BLACK shop or Africans but guess what...their products were below my standards. I am not using some Pink Oil on my hair and I am not overpaying for that piece of crap either.

It killed me each time I walked in a European store to buy a quality product but I had no choice until I found another store.

I finally found an Indian store. I was so happy to find my precious alma oil and get my plantains all in one spot.

I am not racist. I have received prejudice from both black and white. Mostly AA to be honest. Overall, I am a business woman and I do understand business practices. In fact, I have a MBA.

I want the best for my money. I do not care if you are black, green, yellow or even purple. I want the best products and I am not paying a lot either because I value my dollar.

When I think of selling or buying a product (good or service) I never think of race. My first thing is will it sell or is it a good deal and is this the best for everyone. I must say this for some Blacks can be hateful and envious and always questioning someone if they put a product out.

And I do like certain things that other races and ethnic groups make. I do not know about any of you but I am not giving up my Italian purses or shoes fjust to support a sista or brother.

Think about how some Blacks run the hair salons. I stopped going for they kept F---ing up my hair and waiting 6 hours to get my hair done..WTF. My best experience was in a European man chair.

I can remember the last time I let a sista flatiron my hair. Well she kept waving her flatiron around my face talking to another woman. The other woman kept saying your hair is so long and she kept saying "Girl your hair is not bad at all". Now I am not paying you to tell you about my hair and to have some girl all up in my hair. I just want to get my hair done and get out. The only good thing was she got my brastrap hair washed and flatironed in 45 minutes. I call that good service but the waving of the flatiron, loud music etc made me never go back. Mind you this was downtown in the city near my work.

Let us also face it Pookie around the corner does not care about politics or business. Pookie just wants her hair done and cannot wait to get her weave whether it is from you or the Korean lady down the street. Many ladies here are knowledgeable and great but many Black women still think DIRT grows hair. A lot of black women have a long way to go and boycotting is not the answer because if you think Pookie is going to be nice..well think twice. Pookie will question you more because you are suppose to be sista and why can't pookie get a discount or pay you back later..we suppose to be sista. Well sista I want my money. The subject of Black business goes way deeper.

If we are still fighting about relaxed vs natural, light vs dark, AA vs Black of other ethnic groups well working and selling to other Blacks you better have a plan.

It is all about priority and some Blacks need to find out what priority means. How can you expect someone to put you first if you do not do that for yourself. Boycotting is not the answer. I challenge each of you to look deeper for the answer and solutions that will not only bring business back in the hands of the Black community but enhance it as well.

No stones from me, spiceykitten. I agree with so much of what you are saying!;)

spiceykitten

Thanks Camellia!!

I really want people to understand that the issue of Black owned businesses goes way deeper than boycotting an Asian store.

If Blacks cannot even get past color issues, ethnic issues, and we are suppose to be one so you will understand if I am late or mistreat you. I stand by what I said "Sista, I want my money because my landlord or mortgage company wants his money". And "No I am not your homie or N..gga". I am the woman you are buying from and please keep that straight in your mind.

I cannot tell you how many IOU my best friend parents had at their store. Up to 100 of dollars for one person. I cannot pay you but then come in the store with their hair done and sometimes even a new gold chain!! Now this sounds like a sterotype but I saw it before my eyes. Thank God they no longer own the store.

I cannot tell you how I watched my best friend mother's hands bleed from someone throwing bricks at her because she refused to offer another IOU. Do you think Pookie is going to have less pity on you? I think some people better open their minds..Pookie is going to be tougher and Pookie may even kill you.

The issue is way deeper. As I said, I am a business woman but I have also worked as a Social Worker and seen a lot.

I am not saying a Black business cannot succeed. I know it can but people need to be aware to be a successful black business does not mean because someone is the color of your skin that the deeper underlining issue of why the Black community wealth is in the hands of whites and other minorities will just go away. It is this issue that keeps most Black businesses down.

Debbie Allen once said at the United Negro College Show..excuse me if I busted up this prominent show but I do not watch much television. Well she took off her phony pony and said "If we stopped investing so much in our hair, we would not need scholarships. Alot of us could be millionaires by now. People think".

Since, I started doing my own hair and stopped relaxing the savings has been wonderful. Mind you I only relaxed less than 4 times a year.

It is sad to think when Black women think of getting braids..it is with some horse or human hair. I have fought to find posts with women growing their hair with braiding their own hair. Since when is getting braids..adding synthetic or fake hair. I got enough hair and prefer to use my own.

The money black women spend on their hair goes way deeper than Pookie..it just starts with Pookie.

songbyrd517

CurleeDST said:

Makes sense. I like how you think!

songbyrd517

spiceykitten said:

Let us also face it Pookie around the corner does not care about politics or business. Pookie just wants her hair done and cannot wait to get her weave whether it is from you or the Korean lady down the street. Many ladies here are knowledgeable and great but many Black women still think DIRT grows hair. A lot of black women have a long way to go and boycotting is not the answer because if you think Pookie is going to be nice..well think twice. Pookie will question you more because you are suppose to be sista and why can't pookie get a discount or pay you back later..we suppose to be sista. Well sista I want my money. The subject of Black business goes way deeper...

No stones spiceykitten ;). We all value your opinion, and this is exactly why I started this thread. I want you to contribute to this thread. I am interested in everyone's point of view and I respect everyone's point of view. Thank you.
I have recieved racism on all ends of the spectrum - much of it from Black women - as well. And I am truly sorry that you are offended by my thread, sister, that was not my intent. I was trying to share with other women and have a discussion. However, I don't apologize for discussing this topic, because I feel like it needs to be discussed in order to get to larger issues. We have to start somewhere. I don't think that what seems to be stirring here is a boycott - a least on my end. I see a discussion on addressing the larger issues. The largest issue that I see is self-reflection - our attitudes (especially towards each other), our lack of concern, or lack of prioritizing, and for some people, a lack of knowledge and understanding (or, the lack of desire). My point is that Black people as a whole and black women need to do better. And if talking about issues with our lack of presence in our own hair care is a way to spur that dicussion, so be it. I also am not trying to slight the Korean community - I am not a racist. I love all of God's creation, and there are good and bad people of EVERY COLOR. Of course, every Korean person is not as some of those described, and it was not my intention to imply that. When I speak of certian issues, I speak only to those whole those issues pertain to - not the entire ethnic group. I guess what I am trying to say is, I wish black people no matter thier color would examine ourselves and figure out why we ar "behind" in a lot of areas; Why certain products have a specific target market for "us," (such as liquor, cars, condoms, and hair products) yet we continue to want that silky weave and bicker amongnst each other. That is it. I am not asking anyone to give up thier clothing or anything else. I want people to look at situations and think about them critically - not just accepting what is in front of them. We are cruel to each other and we don't think about things that really matter . And no, "Bookeeka" and "Pookie" don't care, and are not going to be nice. That is precisely why I don't try to reason with "Bookeeka" and "Pookie" down the street. I share with other intelligent women of color who know about the world around them, know about business, know where they are going, and have knowledge to share with me and everyone else... Which is why I posted this on LHCF. I believe that some of those women are here. And unlike "Pookie,", I do care about business and politics, and am very educated about both topics, and above all, I am kind to people, including my own, unless another approach is needed. I do konw of a few Asian owned businesses in my home town that have been there since I was a little girl. And the people could not be sweeter. They are good people, and I don't mind giving them my business. And like you, one of my closest friends from my first year of college is half Korean, half Cambodian, and 100% Asian. I love her and her family. They are wonderful people. In fact, she and I were in an Asian BSS in Philly and the lady was talking nice to people in thier face, but saying VERY nasty comments in Korean (I know this because my friend told me what she was saying, and my friend got pissed off and checked her on it). And no, I will not shop anywhere, I don't care who owns it, if I am not treated right and I am spending my hard earned money (girl please!) But, I am not talking about Asian owned beauty supplies with good people who work there, or ghetto-stank black owned beauty supply stores either. I am referring to those who are secretly racist toward my people, but want to sell me a product. Those that will try to get me to buy all of the brands the push, but talk about how that "*****s hair is so nappy" and all kinds of other racist comments when they think you are not paying attention. Those are the people I am referring to. And I am talking about supporting ethical black businesses with educated, good-hearted people who have sense and a business mind, but sometimes have a hard time getting a good foot in because some people (because of past experiences) pre-judge without giving them a chance. I am not saying shop ONLY at black businesses - we don't make everything. We need to get what we like. I am just saying we should be a little more supportive of people, when our support is warranted. All I am saying is we need to support those who are trying to do better, and we also need to recieve good service and products for our money.

So, I definitely feel where your coming from, and I DEFINITELY agree with a lot of what you said. But this is not about calling an entire group of people racist or evil. I don't remember saying that. This is about why everyone's hand is in our hair but ours. We need more Black people to be educated about Black hair - not old wives tales, but real education. And once again, I know it may be a small thing, and there are larger ventures that we need to get involved in and be worried about, but I still see this issue as a means to and end. It is a small step in that direction for those who need small steps before larger ones can be made.

That is just my take. God Bless, and please don't be offended. I am just trying to have a discussion Sister :Rose:

songbyrd517

spiceykitten said:
Thanks Camellia!!

I really want people to understand that the issue of Black owned businesses goes way deeper than boycotting an Asian store.

If Blacks cannot even get past color issues, ethnic issues, and we are suppose to be one so you will understand if I am late or mistreat you. I stand by what I said "Sista, I want my money because my landlord or mortgage company wants his money". And "No I am not your homie or N..gga". I am the woman you are buying from and please keep that straight in your mind.

I cannot tell you how many IOU my best friend parents had at their store. Up to 100 of dollars for one person. I cannot pay you but then come in the store with their hair done and sometimes even a new gold chain!! Now this sounds like a sterotype but I saw it before my eyes. Thank God they no longer own the store.

I cannot tell you how I watched my best friend mother's hands bleed from someone throwing bricks at her because she refused to offer another IOU. Do you think Pookie is going to have less pity on you? I think some people better open their minds..Pookie is going to be tougher and Pookie may even kill you.

The issue is way deeper. As I said, I am a business woman but I have also worked as a Social Worker and seen a lot.

I am not saying a Black business cannot succeed. I know it can but people need to be aware to be a successful black business does not mean because someone is the color of your skin that the deeper underlining issue of why the Black community wealth is in the hands of whites and other minorities will just go away. It is this issue that keeps most Black businesses down.

Debbie Allen once said at the United Negro College Show..excuse me if I busted up this prominent show but I do not watch much television. Well she took off her phony pony and said "If we stopped investing so much in our hair, we would not need scholarships. Alot of us could be millionaires by now. People think".

Since, I started doing my own hair and stopped relaxing the savings has been wonderful. Mind you I only relaxed less than 4 times a year.

It is sad to think when Black women think of getting braids..it is with some horse or human hair. I have fought to find posts with women growing their hair with braiding their own hair. Since when is getting braids..adding synthetic or fake hair. I got enough hair and prefer to use my own.

The money black women spend on their hair goes way deeper than Pookie..it just starts with Pookie.

By the way, I totally agree with this. I deal with this type of scenario in my line of work every day. This may sound harsh, but to me this is the difference between "Black People" and "*****s" (which can be any color or race, by the way). I love Black people, and I do not mind doing business with them. I will not deal with *****s. As my Great-Grandfather used to say: Black People are educated, they work hard, they get where they want to go in life. *****s just want a hook-up or a hand out. I am speaking of supporting Black People.