At this point in your Christian walk, would you date/marry someone who is unsaved?

Iwanthealthyhair67

Re: At this point in your Christian walk, would you date/marry someone who is unsaved

veering just a little off topic....'dating' I'm not all together sure that I like that word for 'christian' use, dating sounds like what the world does...

I can't get it out of my mind that dating can mean seeing more than one person at the same time; as if you are 'trying' the man/woman out to see if he/she is the right one, and christians should not be doing that imo ....

Iwanthealthyhair67

Re: At this point in your Christian walk, would you date/marry someone who is unsaved

now to answer the question;

No, the bible says that we should not be unequally yoked with a nonbeliever ...now this scripture may seem to some as 'over' used but it IS the word of God that we should standy by...

Babi

@ Shimmie
Thank you for such a warm welcome. That really made my day. I really do have strength in knowing that God approves.

LittleGoldenLamb and @ Iwanthealthyhair67 and Shimmie : your words are encouraging and I am so happy to have found this Christian Fellowship group. We cannot do it alone, and it is in fellowship and sisterhood that we can glorify God's name and continue to aide each other in understanding and obeying his word. I have been browsing LHCF for a long time now, but it isn't till just recently that I came across the Christian Fellowship group through my droid phone. I finally subscribed to LHCF because I wanted to engage in your wonderful Christian topics. Thanks ladies.

Iwanthealthyhair67

Babi

I welcome you also...I see you were on lurk mode just like me:yep:

grace and peace to you...

@ Shimmie
Thank you for such a warm welcome. That really made my day. I really do have strength in knowing that God approves.

@LittleGoldenLamb and @ Iwanthealthyhair67 and Shimmie : your words are encouraging and I am so happy to have found this Christian Fellowship group. We cannot do it alone, and it is in fellowship and sisterhood that we can glorify God's name and continue to aide each other in understanding and obeying his word. I have been browsing LHCF for a long time now, but it isn't till just recently that I came across the Christian Fellowship group through my droid phone. I finally subscribed to LHCF because I wanted to engage in your wonderful Christian topics. Thanks ladies.

Mis007

I did have an unsaved husband needless to say it just wasn't meant to be, I don't think I could go through sitting at Sunday services in church, in tears, worrying about my husband's salvation all over again :nono:.

MonPetite

@ Shimmie

@LittleGoldenLamb and @ Iwanthealthyhair67 and Shimmie : your words are encouraging and I am so happy to have found this Christian Fellowship group. We cannot do it alone, and it is in fellowship and sisterhood that we can glorify God's name and continue to aide each other in understanding and obeying his word. I have been browsing LHCF for a long time now, but it isn't till just recently that I came across the Christian Fellowship group through my droid phone. I finally subscribed to LHCF because I wanted to engage in your wonderful Christian topics. Thanks ladies.

Anytime! We're not perfect, but a journey never feels as long as it should when you're walking with friends. :grin:

Babi

lol@ lurk mode!:yep: I sho nuff was!

veering just a little off topic....'dating' I'm not all together sure that I like that word for 'christian' use, dating sounds like what the world does...

I can't get it out of my mind that dating can mean seeing more than one person at the same time; as if you are 'trying' the man/woman out to see if he/she is the right one, and christians should not be doing that imo ....

I understand what you mean. I used to date like how the world does and that was a disaster as I mentioned before. I learned from it and know better now. We as Christians should date differently though, even though we call it the same. Its less hectic and more honorable to God if we first become friends with the man ( no physicality.. get to know him.. interview-like) then fiancee or courting, then marriage. right?But what other word can we use?

Last edited:

MissNina

Libra Girl

can't get it out of my mind that dating can mean seeing more than one person at the same time; as if you are 'trying' the man/woman out to see if he/she is the right one, and christians should not be doing that imo ....

Iwanthealthyhair67 hi! Why dont you feel that Christians should not be doing that?

To answer the OQ, i couldnt date/marry someone unsaved by the Biblical definition. We each have our own set of "rules" or ideas of what fits being saved means outside of a Biblical concept, though.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member

lol@ lurk mode!:yep: I sho nuff was!

I understand what you mean. I used to date like how the world does and that was a disaster as I mentioned before. I learned from it and know better now. We as Christians should date differently though, even though we call it the same. Its less hectic and more honorable to God if we first become friends with the man ( no physicality.. get to know him.. interview-like) then fiancee or courting, then marriage. right?

But what other word can we use?

"Actively Discerning" ... :yep:

divya

I would like to marry a Christian - a true Christian. Right now though, I am tired of the "Christian" men who just don't know how to treat people. The core of Christianity is to love God and your fellowman. I am in no way perfect or a model Christian but Lord knows I do my best to be kind to others.

It's been a battle for me spiritually lately because of "Christian" men who are just cold, controlling and selfish. After seemingly doing things according to Christian counsel (courtship guidelines) and things fall apart, it makes me so upset. Lord knows I am struggling with my Christianity. So who I am to judge who is saved/unsaved? If I do marry, my hope is just for a man who wants to be a Christian in his heart.

FlyyBohemian

I would like to marry a Christian - a true Christian. Right now though, I am tired of the "Christian" men who just don't know how to treat people. The core of Christianity is to love God and your fellowman. I am in no way perfect or a model Christian but Lord knows I do my best to be kind to others.

It's been a battle for me spiritually lately because of "Christian" men who are just cold, controlling and selfish. After seemingly doing things according to Christian counsel (courtship guidelines) and things fall apart, it makes me so upset. Lord knows I am struggling with my Christianity. So who I am to judge who is saved/unsaved? If I do marry, my hope is just for a man who wants to be a Christian in his heart.

I'm in the same situation. I know I should marry a Christian man but I've been burned by a few of them. Hopefully, God will send me one that thinks like me.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Iwanthealthyhair67

MissNina
As Christians we are called out from the world to be separate and different, we should not be doing things in the same old ways that we did before we were saved which includes ‘dating’ and this is why I don’t like the word dating because in my opinion it has the same connotations, I prefer the word ‘courting’ but that’s a matter of personal choice…

With no disrespect to the posters that came in and shared their experiences, if you read through some of the comments you would have noticed lots of similarities to experiences that we once had while we were in the world…because there are no clear guidelines or rules in place we tend to fall into some of the same traps of the ‘dating’ world and end up getting married and divorced same as the world does and for the same reasons…

divya

MissNina
As Christians we are called out from the world to be separate and different, we should not be doing things in the same old ways that we did before we were saved which includes ‘dating’ and this is why I don’t like the word dating because in my opinion it has the same connotations, I prefer the word ‘courting’ but that’s a matter of personal choice…

With no disrespect to the posters that came in and shared their experiences, if you read through some of the comments you would have noticed lots of similarities to experiences that we once had while we were in the world…because there are no clear guidelines or rules in place we tend to fall into some of the same traps of the ‘dating’ world and end up getting married and divorced same as the world does and for the same reasons…

Well as someone who far along in the "courtship" process and got burned in it, sometimes I'm not too sure about that either. I'm more inclined to feel that when people's hearts are truly sincere, things will work out. But maybe the Lord has much more work to do on me...

Iwanthealthyhair67

^^may I ask your experience, why do think it didn't work...

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"

I can agree with this and understand what you mean...it's all semantics. This discussion reminds me of a young woman I went to college with who was saved at the time (I wasn't saved then) and she had discussed with us girls in class that she doesn't "date" -- she "courts". What I got from that back then, was that courting had a more serious connotation because it involves standards, with the specific goal of getting to know one person to prepare for marriage.

Dating seemingly has a less serious connotation; it appears more 'social' or 'casual' because in the world..dating ..comes with the understanding that sex may be involved and people are just hooking up to hook up and not necessarily get married. There is also the understanding it involves seeing more than one person at the same time.

I also agree with the point Divya made, though...it's all in the intent of the heart and the two people involved, despite what it's called. There are Christians who don't consider oral sex fornication :look: yet claim they're 'saving themselves' for marriage while courting. On the flip side, a couple of Christians could be on the up and up, say they are dating each other yet are seriously spending time with each other and God, and not doing all that other extra stuff. :lol:

@MissNina

Iwanthealthyhair67

^^yes, yes agreed ...

I guess what ever it is called, I wish that we could understand that it is also a spiritual matter, and as such should be approached differently kwim?

skyslady

Never settle for less than God's best for you... Jeremiah 29:11... that means, the best of the best. Not the cream of the crap... (sorry I'm Caribbean...)

That means, being unequally yolked by accepting less than God's best (settling, compromising) -- when He has something better already promised to you.

[disclaimer: this is generally speaking, when I say "you".. .not directed at you per say, OP ] :yep:

I 100% agree!!!