August 2017: Hits &misses

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Life-changing continued hits:
  1. KareCo Tangle Buster Brush
    • has taken detangling from hours to minutes
    • made like the child of a Felicia Leatherwood brush and the healthiest, sturdiest paddle brush you can imagine
  2. Goody Updo Barrettes (one-piece, all-plastic) for installing 3 or 4 or 5 sections on each half off the head on wash day . . .
    • thorough initial (finger) detangling and elongating under shower water is a breeze
    • hair can be washed as a whole with the barrettes in (no need to time consumingly wash section by section)
    • by removing a barrette (and later replacing it if desired), one section at a time can EASILY be brushed/detangled, clearly saturated with product, twisted, etc.
  3. Accomplishing my first DIY flat twist-out after spending a year (at least) trying to learn
Initial impression hit:
Lescolton paddle brush and hair dryer in one​

Hits:
  • showerhead water filter to convert hard water to soft water
  • Soultanicals Soulvedic (ayurvedic) Strands Poo Bar
  • Soultanicals Frizz Whiz (moisture-wise)
  • Broccoli seed oil (for shine)
  • CurlyProverbz DIY Ayurvedic Hair Growth Oil
  • Wetline Gel
  • Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker (gel)
  • Alikay Naturals Brulee Custard (gel . . . for the definition and light-feeling hair)
Miss:
  • Alikay Naturals Brulee Custard (gel . . . for its dry-feeling effect on my hair and the somewhat burnt yet nauseating and LINGERING smell it took on when I diffused with it in; made me seriously consider hair perfume for the first time)

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Continued Hits (in no particular order):grin::
J.Monique's Pre-Poo Treatment
Keravada Hydromax Cleansing Conditioner
Hairveda Sitrinillah
Kindred Butters Products
Cream & Coco Oils
Sarenzo Body Frostings & Sarenzo's H.ome Fra.grance Oils
BlueRoze Beauty's Pumpkin Hair Whip
Claudie's Hair Balms
Naturelle Grow's Hair Balms
Cantu ACV Root Rinse

Initially meh & On The Fence - Now a Hit!:eek:..:look:
SprAngz Hair Glaze @flyygirlll2

curlyhersheygirl

Mega Hit: Curl Origin coconut kukui double moisture overnight mask.
Y'all this treatment is the truth. After a day at the beach Monday, my hair was as dry as the straw hat I wore to protect it. I knew I needed to use something great. I initially decided on using a tried and true treatment, but remembered I had this in the stash and it said for really dry hair.

I lightly misted my hair with water because it was to dry to manipulate then applied the mask. It went on really smooth, had great slip and absorbed nicely. I left it on overnight and when i removed the plastic cap, my hair was revived.

I can't remember which one of my U1B1 e-sisters recommended this but I'm glad I got it. BF I'll get a few more jars.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Y'all this treatment is the truth. After a day at the beach Monday, my hair was as dry as the straw hat I wore to protect it. I knew I needed to use something great. I initially decided on using a tried and true treatment, but remembered I had this in the stash and it said for really dry hair. I can't remember which one of my U1B1 e-sisters recommended this but I'm glad I got it. BF I'll get a few more jars.
@curlyhersheygirl
Agreed 110%:up:...:yep:...:love:

Glad you finally got around to using it!:grin:

*Cackles at "dry as as straw hat":giggle:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@YvetteWithJoy
Have you visited the website? Please do. I think they are listed there?

It's a detangling aid for thick hair and it works great. It has ACV and other ingredients. I find myself reaching for each wash day to help me detangle which makes it a hit (for me).:look:

What made it a Meh and now a Hit: I initially thought "this is something I could make myself" (and I probably could).

What made it a Hit is the fact that it works great and I don't have to make it myself.:giggle: And it is relatively inexpensive even with shipping.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy
Have you visited the website? Please do. I think they are listed there?

It's a detangling aid for thick hair and it works great. It has ACV and other ingredients. I find myself reaching for each wash day to help me detangle which makes it a hit (for me).:look:

What made it a Meh and now a Hit: I initially thought "this is something I could make myself" (and I probably could).

What made it a Hit is the fact that it works great and I don't have to make it myself.:giggle: And it is relatively inexpensive even with shipping.

Thanks! I went to the site before asking and didn't see the ingredients, but it might be because I'm on my phone looking at the mobile site. I ordered Sprangz weights long ago. I'll return to the site once I'm home and can get on a computer! Thanks again!

ETA: Got them. It's a little mysterious. I was wondering about the ingredients so I could try to make it at home. Oh well.

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
ETA: Got them. It's a little mysterious. I was wondering about the ingredients so I could try to make it at home. Oh well.
@YvetteWithJoy
The Dupe I made when I first bought her's and thought Pffft I can make this myself was: ACV/AVJ/AVG and some Oils (EVOO, EVCO, Avocado etc..).

I thought it worked pretty much the same sorta/kinda'.:drunk:...:look: I did not have/use a preservative tho'.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Y'all this treatment is the truth. After a day at the beach Monday, my hair was as dry as the straw hat I wore to protect it. I knew I needed to use something great. I initially decided on using a tried and true treatment, but remembered I had this in the stash and it said for really dry hair.

I lightly misted my hair with water because it was to dry to manipulate then applied the mask. It went on really smooth, had great slip and absorbed nicely. I left it on overnight and when i removed the plastic cap, my hair was revived.

I can't remember which one of my U1B1 e-sisters recommended this but I'm glad I got it. BF I'll get a few more jars.

@curlyhersheygirl, do you find most DCs moisturizing? What other DCs have you liked? (I'm asking to see if I should put the Curl Origin DC on my list.) Are you hipo?

TIA!

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
Not that I'm a Pusha or anything,:look:

Bibliophile

Hair toy Aficionado
@FelaShrine
Glad you liked it and it worked for you . It should give you that perfect balance you were looking for and it's easily accessible.

Not that I'm a Pusha or anything,:look: but if you ever need or have use for a virtually non-existence, weightless hair oil, give her oil a try.

It's very 'sheer' (if that makes sense).

:curtain: Say what now?! :laugh:Lies, fallacies and fairytales :lachen:

curlyhersheygirl

@curlyhersheygirl, do you find most DCs moisturizing? What other DCs have you liked? (I'm asking to see if I should put the Curl Origin DC on my list.) Are you hipo?

TIA!
@YvetteWithJoy
I have a few different DC's that are HG's for me. Some I use to provide moisture, others to keep my hair balanced. I have medium porosity hair and do my best to keep it that way through the use of treatments and LI's. I view DC's as a means of maintaining or improving the overall condition of the hair. That means strength, elasticity and moisture. So each person needs to address the particular issue they are experiencing and find treatments geared towards that.

The coconut kukui overnight mask is like a highly moisturizing prepoo treatment. It contains no conditioning agents like BTMS or cetrimonium chloride so I don't consider that a DC ( I'm not a chemist, that's just my 2 cents).

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Hit and Miss: Tangle Teezer Aqua Splash brush and the Tangle Teezer Thick & Curly brush.

Side by side the Aqua Splash and Thick & Curly are pretty much the same brush, just a different shape. Same type of thin flexible bristles, same long-short-long-short bristle pattern, same spacing between the bristles. The bristles on the Thick & Curly are a little longer, but I don't think that would significantly change its performance when compared against the Aqua Splash. Because of that, I believe that if used the exact same way these brushes would perform identically. I didn't use them the same way during my wash and styling and my review is as follows.

Aqua Splash:
This brush is made for use in the shower and shaped to prevent slipping from your hand when wet. I used this brush to detangle my soaking wet hair after applying a very generous amount of deep conditioner, before I sat under my steamer. Full of conditioner, the Aqua Splash doesn't slip as much as my handled Denman did, but it does still slip. Fortunately after hitting the shower floor just once, I didn't see any visible damage or cracks like I do when I drop my Babyliss Scalp Massaging Brush. This is good because cracks can cause strand snagging and breakage. Another positive, the detangling process was very quick, very thorough, and there were only a few strands of hair left behind in the brush. I felt little to no tugging, witnessed no breakage while using, and detangling my entire head took just a few minutes. :up:

Thick & Curly:
After rinsing out my deep conditioner, I used this brush to distribute my leave in on wet hair. I love the kidney bean like shape because it fits very well in the palm of my hand. Unfortunately, that was all I liked about the brush. I use a lot less product for leaving in versus conditioning. Even though my leave in is very slippery and my hair was already detangled, the Thick & Curly didn't glide through my hair as easily as I believe it should have. With less product in my hair, there was much more friction than when I used the Aqua Splash. No breakage was caused, but I imagine if used often and in the same way, there eventually could be. The biggest negative for me was that this brush undefined my hair, essentially brushing out the curl pattern and leaving my hair cottony. After using the Thick & Curly on 2 of my 4 sections, I went back over them with my cheap Babyliss Pro Scalp Massaging Brush and no additional product. My Babyliss glided through my hair easily and left it beautifully defined and silky smooth. The Thick & Curly gets a :down: from me.

Overall:
As I mentioned first, the Aqua Splash and the Thick & Curly are pretty much the same brush. After using both, I can reasonably conclude that for me:
  • both work well in shower on soaking wet hair with lots of conditioner (post shampoo, during conditioning). They detangle faster and more thoroughly than my Babyliss brush, didn't tug my hair, and don't crack if dropped. Possible HG in shower detangler tool.
  • both don't work well for styling and/or with just a leave in product or product with a thin consistency. There is too much friction with less product and the many bristles of the brushes. The brushes also brushed out my curl pattern.
  • both may work well if you're using them for straight styles or rollersets. When you want to brush out your curl pattern or on already straightened hair. But, I'd be concerned about mechanical damage in the long term.
Before this, I used my cheap and trusty Babybliss Scalp Massaging Brush in and out of the shower. It is a palm sized brush with a little knob that fits between your fingers to grip it. The bristles/pins on it are very thick, widely spaced and inflexible. If dropped on a hard surface, the brush will crack and eventually need to be replaced because my hair gets caught on the cracked plastic. Always makes my hair smooth and silky when I use my HG products, but does tug during the initial in shower detangling process.

After trying these Tangle Teezer brushes, I will only use the Aqua Splash or the Thick & Curly when I'm in the shower distributing my conditioner and need to throughly detangle. I will continue to use my Babyliss brush post conditioning, during the styling process.

For reference: My strands are very thick. My hair is normal density and cottony.

AquaSplas.jpg TangleTeezerThick&Curly.jpeg

Since I mentioned it, this is the Babyliss Pro Scalp Massaging Brush:
Babyliss-Pro-Scalp-Massage-Brush.jpg

Last edited:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
First Impression:
Green Clay wash. Bentonite is too clarifying and I ran out of pink clay (which is conditioning for me) and I don't care for rhassoul (I actually like it but it creates buildup over time for me) so I decided to use the green clay since it's too harsh for my skin. It gave me rhassoul results without the buildup film.

Hit:
Nexxus Humectress. Nexxus is a thot because they reformulate their products every 3-4 years it seems, but Humectress seems to be better than the last version considering it has coconut oil AND hydrolyzed protein. Did a midweek wash with this and the green clay and it was really good. Hair still moisturized.

Still on the fence:
Oil rinsing. I like it, but with WNG, my hair feels a tad dry. I'm going to try it without using gel.

Last edited:

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
@Nightingale do you think the increased surface area and bristles on the Thick & Curly are the reasons it behaved in you hair as it did?

Not the surface area, but definitely the bristles. There are a lot of them, too densely packed, and too flexible, IMO. Those properties worked great under running water and with lots of conditioner to detangle. But on damp hair with less product and curl definition as my goal, it was a fail.