August 2017: Hits &misses

Chromia

Big Hit:

Mielle Organics Babassu and Mint Deep Conditioner. It is very slippy :lick: and leaves my hair super soft even though it's a protein DC. My hair behaves well after I use this one.
I used this for the first time yesterday. I was not expecting to be able to comb my hair so easily immediately after I applied it. I did a DC for 30 minutes with heat and my hair was so soft after I rinsed it out.

I didn't care for the tingling/cooling sensation on my scalp, but I knew to expect it from the reviews.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
August has been a good hair month for me:

Hits:

Roller setting: I've roller set my hair as far back as I can remember. All of my adulthood for sure. About a year ago, I decided it was too much at my length and stopped. Returned back to it this month and Oooh la la, I've missed the smoothness, softness and ease of styling that roller setting brings.

Live clean shampoo's and conditioners. Out of the 3 lines I've tried, I love the Fresh Water & Coconut milk lines. Both lines leave my hair clean, hydrated and ready for roller setting.

Scalp miss but hair hit:
Mahabhringraj Oil. Does not weigh my hair down, promotes sound sleep and eases headaches. But it left my scalp an itchy mess.
I don't play around with my scalp's health. Anything that causes scalp discomfort is a no for me dawg regardless of the growth it promises, if it makes my hair more manageable, look better or any other hair claim. Burns, allergic reactions, itchiness, build up...No ma'am Pam! Ain't worth it.

Aggie

I used this for the first time yesterday. I was not expecting to be able to comb my hair so easily immediately after I applied it. I did a DC for 30 minutes with heat and my hair was so soft after I rinsed it out.

I didn't care for the tingling/cooling sensation on my scalp, but I knew to expect it from the reviews.
I didn't feel any tingling or maybe I did but just didn't care. I still love it a lot.

Aggie

August has been a good hair month for me:

Hits:

Roller setting: I've roller set my hair as far back as I can remember. All of my adulthood for sure. About a year ago, I decided it was too much at my length and stopped. Returned back to it this month and Oooh la la, I've missed the smoothness, softness and ease of styling that roller setting brings.

Live clean shampoo's and conditioners. Out of the 3 lines I've tried, I love the Fresh Water & Coconut milk lines. Both lines leave my hair clean, hydrated and ready for roller setting.

Scalp miss but hair hit:
Mahabhringraj Oil. Does not weigh my hair down, promotes sound sleep and eases headaches. But it left my scalp an itchy mess.
I don't play around with my scalp's health. Anything that causes scalp discomfort is a no for me dawg regardless of the growth it promises, if it makes my hair more manageable, look better or any other hair claim. Burns, allergic reactions, itchiness, build up...No ma'am Pam! Ain't worth it.
I will gladly take that mahabhringraj oil off your hands @lulu97 :look:. My hair loves that stuff :yep:.

curlyhersheygirl

New Hit:
BeeMine Luscious. I got this in a swap and never got around to it until this week. This is a lovely smooth, whippy cream that is quickly absorbed into the hair. It left my hair soft, shiny and din't weigh it down. This is a definite repurchase.

Miss:
Texture Me Natural 7 layer buttercream. This was disappointing. The ingredients are really nice and I thought it would have been very moisturizing, but it wasn't.

Continued Hits:
APB liquid LI's
HTN protein LI
Ouidad low lather cleansing conditioner
HV shikakai oil
HV almond glaze
HV whipped Creme

Aggie

NEW HIT:

Naturelle Grow Bamboo and Silk Deep Conditioner - wow, another light protein conditioner that has great slip and left my hair soft and it was so easy to detangle too. This is for sure a repurchase item when I'm in need of some protein DCs.

Last edited:

Aggie

I already passed it on to my sister this weekend. I try not to keep items in my stash that are not staples. Once I figure out it's a no-go, I give it away or throw it away. LOL
Oh snaps! I was a little too late. Lol. I think it's almost time to go through my stash and see if there is anything to give away myself. I may have a couple items but probably not more than that:look:.

Smiley79

HITS:
upload_2017-8-28_11-14-14.jpegSuper moisturizing DC; it left my hair so soft.

upload_2017-8-28_11-18-31.jpegGreat conditioner as a final rinse out after DC.

Rubbing this on my scalp as a pre-poo is LOVE. It soothes my scalp inflammation.

New and On the Watch HIT:
upload_2017-8-28_11-15-27.jpeg Onion juice to stimulate hair growth. I did the boil method.

Last edited:

Aggie

AgeinATL

Miss:
Texture Me Natural
7 layer buttercream. This was disappointing. The ingredients are really nice and I thought it would have been very moisturizing, but it wasn't.

A member sent me some of her products and I have yet to be impressed with any of it. Fantastic ingredients but they aren't formulated correctly (if that makes sense) because they are not very moisturizing to have that many butters, oils, etc. I also am not a fan of the smell. I got the conditioners and they all smell STRONGLY of tea tree oil. Like, if I ran out of Vick's Vapor Rub, I could use it to open my sinuses. I am glad that I tried them to get the curiosity out of me but I will not purchase anything from this line.

Aggie

A member sent me some of her products and I have yet to be impressed with any of it. Fantastic ingredients but they aren't formulated correctly (if that makes sense) because they are not very moisturizing to have that many butters, oils, etc. I also am not a fan of the smell. I got the conditioners and they all smell STRONGLY of tea tree oil. Like, if I ran out of Vick's Vapor Rub, I could use it to open my sinuses. I am glad that I tried them to get the curiosity out of me but I will not purchase anything from this line.
Thanks for sharing @AgeinATL. I have not purchased anything in this line as yet but glad you shared this to keep me from purchasing their products. Whew!!!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@AgeinATL
I used "Condition Me Softly" yesterday as a Final R/O and it left my hair a little tangled. No Slip.:angry2:

Speaking of scent's I think it smells heavily of Lavender? (at least mine does).

I will finish up what I have (or swap it):look: and won't repurchase from this Line.

The CS still keeps me highly traumatized.

AgeinATL

@AgeinATL
I used "Condition Me Softly" yesterday as a Final R/O and it left my hair a little tangled. No Slip.:angry2:

Speaking of scent's I think it smells heavily of Lavender? (at least mine does).

I will finish up what I have (or swap it):look: and won't repurchase from this Line.

The CS still keeps me highly traumatized.

That's the one that I tried. I went back to smell it and you're right, it has a STRONG lavender scent. It literally made my eyes water. I thought it was tea tree but yeah, it's lavender on swole.

That conditioner made my hair sooo angry. Like my hair has never reacted so violently to a conditioner. You're right, NO slip, no moisture. How does something with ingredients that good give NO moisture? Girl, I'm glad that these items were free and I have already given away the remainder.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I went back to smell it and you're right, it has a STRONG lavender scent. It literally made my eyes water. I thought it was tea tree but yeah, it's lavender on swole.
That conditioner made my hair sooo angry. Like my hair has never reacted so violently to a conditioner. You're right, NO slip, no moisture. How does something with ingredients that good give NO moisture? Girl, I'm glad that these items were free and I have already given away the remainder.
@AgeinATL
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
At this entire post. Gurl that Lavender is on SKRONG.

ETA: I think the initial "draw" for me was everything is 12oz+:look:

Last edited:

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
I haven't tried any of the items I have from her line but now I don't want to. I've had my share of great ingredients/terrible formula products and I'm over it :naughty:
I might just pass on my stash then...

vevster

Surprise hit!
This is an example of improved technique of the user..... a revisited, Design Essentials Elongated Curling Cream! I use a spray curl hydration spray, Lush's R&B on ends and a moisturizing leave in under any styler.

This cream by DE is giving my hair TREMENDOUS moisture! I'm loving it! Bounce even! I love it! I'm glad it is a black owned company.

PJaye

That's the one that I tried. I went back to smell it and you're right, it has a STRONG lavender scent. It literally made my eyes water. I thought it was tea tree but yeah, it's lavender on swole.

Yeah, I had to leave this line alone, too. When I first ordered, the moisturizers were good and all had a faint bakery-ish scent. So, when she had a 50% off sale I re-upped and showed out. However, the new products I purchased all had slight formulation changes and an overwhelming smell of lavender. I hate lavender! I refused to even put that stuff in my hair knowing that the smell would make me prone to violence. I tried using the Amla Therapy Conditioner and the outcome was horrible. - it offered no moisture whatsoever and left my hair feeling like tree bark. I was too through. I packed up all of that stuff and shipped it to my niece. I agree with your earlier statement in that these products fail to live up to their decent ingredient lists.

PJaye

And, since I'm here:

Disappointing, Violence-Inducing Miss: Joico K-Pak Reconstructor

I had such high hopes for this reconstructor given all of the glowing reviews. This product has a slightly creamy consistency and smells somewhat like bananas. Despite its consistency, however, this stuff applied like..nothing. Although I could see it being smoothed onto my hair, my strands felt bare and completely devoid of product. I kept touching my hair and peering into the mirror in disbelief. As a result, I kept slathering it on until my hair felt coated with product. It took an inordinate amount of this stuff for my hair to feel even remotely saturated, which is not OK given its price point of $20 for 5oz. Still, I covered my hair with a plastic cap and allowed it to marinate on for a little over an hour. Upon rinsing, my hair felt like...meh, as if I hadn't done anything to it. I...was...floored. While I didn't expect it to be soft or moisturized, I did assume that it would proffer a degree of strength. My hair had no discernible strength to it at all. None. I was too through; I still am.

AgeinATL

@AgeinATL
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
At this entire post. Gurl that Lavender is on SKRONG.

ETA: I think the initial "draw" for me was everything is 12oz+:look:

Girl, my eyes are starting to water again at just the THOUGHT of the smell...girlllllll..

I haven't tried any of the items I have from her line but now I don't want to. I've had my share of great ingredients/terrible formula products and I'm over it :naughty:
I might just pass on my stash then...

Girl, it really isn't a good line. I think that it once WAS but I'm not sure what happened. It is crazy to me how those ingredients can make your hair dry!? o_O

Yeah, I had to leave this line alone, too. When I first ordered, the moisturizers were good and all had a faint bakery-ish scent. So, when she had a 50% off sale I re-upped and showed out. However, the new products I purchased all had slight formulation changes and an overwhelming smell of lavender. I hate lavender! I refused to even put that stuff in my hair knowing that the smell would make me prone to violence. I tried using the Amla Therapy Conditioner and the outcome was horrible. - it offered no moisture whatsoever and left my hair feeling like tree bark. I was too through. I packed up all of that stuff and shipped it to my niece. I agree with your earlier statement in that these products fail to live up to their decent ingredient lists.

Girl, THIS. I cannot STAND the smell of lavender. Like, I cannot stand it. I tried the Amla DC as well. TERRIBLE. My hair was left SO tangled and so dry. Tree bark might be a good way to describe it. It felt like tree bark, it looks like tree bark, my damn hair broke off like tree bark, and it SMELLED like damn tree bark. I'm getting mad again...:mad:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
My hair was left SO tangled and so dry. Tree bark might be a good way to describe it. It felt like tree bark, it looks like tree bark, my damn hair broke off like tree bark, and it SMELLED like damn tree bark. I'm getting mad again...:mad:
@AgeinATL
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
That's all I got.

In all seriousness, I agree with everything you, @PJaye @rileypak and @curlyhersheygirl said:nono:.

How can Such Good Ingredients Go So Wrong?????:perplexed:

I also agree with the formulation change.:look:

Either that, or somebody stole her Recipe Book.:lol:...:eek:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
And, since I'm here:

Disappointing, Violence-Inducing Miss: Joico K-Pak Reconstructor

I had such high hopes for this reconstructor given all of the glowing reviews. This product has a slightly creamy consistency and smells somewhat like bananas. Despite its consistency, however, this stuff applied like..nothing. Although I could see it being smoothed onto my hair, my strands felt bare and completely devoid of product. I kept touching my hair and peering into the mirror in disbelief. As a result, I kept slathering it on until my hair felt coated with product. It took an inordinate amount of this stuff for my hair to feel even remotely saturated, which is not OK given its price point of $20 for 5oz. Still, I covered my hair with a plastic cap and allowed it to marinate on for a little over an hour. Upon rinsing, my hair felt like...meh, as if I hadn't done anything to it. I...was...floored. While I didn't expect it to be soft or moisturized, I did assume that it would proffer a degree of strength. My hair had no discernible strength to it at all. None. I was too through; I still am.

:yep:

I'm so glad the last Joico product that was recommended to me was available in SAMPLE size. It was beyond underwhelming, as if I had sprayed water on my head and let it "deep condition" for 45 minutes.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hit:
Jakeala Shea Amla Parfait

:drool:

It's whipped and so light and fluffy. Her scenting adequately enough counteracts that shea butter smell. It sinks right into my strands. Divine!

Ingredients: Raw Shea Butter, Ayurvedic Powders(Amla, Brahmi, Bringaraj, Fenugreek), Neem Oil, Aloe Vera, Calendula extract, Chamomile, Hemp Seed Oil, Castor Oil, Honey(Optional for vegans), Optiphen(Paraben Free Preservative includes Phenoxyethanol & Sorbic Acid)

vevster

Used the DE Curling cream again today. The key is combing it through and if you see frizz as it drys ADD MORE PRODUCT.

Great for fine hair doesn't weigh it down. Soft hold.