December 2013 Hits & Misses

BrownSkin2

Miss

Obia Natural Twist butter & Obia Natural Curl enhancing custard -- I did bantu knotouts twice with this combo. This left my hair with soft hold, a lot of frizz, shrinkage, and dull hair. I had high hopes for this product. :ohwell:

Hit

Obia Curl hydration spray -- moisturizing and revives hair.

Last edited:

coyacoy

coyacoy

Girl what Happened?:blush: I have x2 Jars in my Stash I haven't tried yet.

IDareT'sHair...it wasn't tuuurible buuuut definitely left my hair feeling a little straw-like and did not do me any favors in the detangling department.... had to apply extra amounts of moisturizers during the week to combat the straw-like feeling&look :-(

*please excuse typos* Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using LHCF

Beany

Hit: Njoi's Ayurvedic oil. lightweight, absorbs well, doesn't stink. I kinda wanna get another bottle while she's having this sale (code: JOYFUL2013).

ETA: got another bottle :drunk:

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
..it wasn't tuuurible buuuut definitely left my hair feeling a little straw-like and did not do me any favors in the detangling department.... had to apply extra amounts of moisturizers during the week to combat the straw-like feeling&look :-(

*please excuse typos* Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using LHCF

@coyacoy

Thanks Sis.:hug2:

I'm glad I saw this. I need to try this out.

So glad I didn't buy a 3rd jar BF.:look:

I was trying to get it right at $30.00 BF to get the discount.

But couldn't justify picking up a 3rd jar w/o trying it 1st.

So I didn't get anything.:perplexed

I do like the More Moisture and the Supreme Butter.

xu93texas

Merry Christmas to all!!

I just to had to pop in and say this Shescentit Blueberry Co-wash is AMAZING!! I received as a free gift with my order. Will definitely be purchasing.

CeeLex33

Happy Healthy Hair!
Hit: Hairveda's Sitrinillah DC. Finally used it for the first time. DC under my hooded dryer for 30 minutes= soft moisturized hair!

kupenda

CeeLex33 girl that hurr is slaying me! Omg! Is that your natural texture, a bantu knot out, what?! You need to be on my vision board!

Hit:
Oyin Hair Dew on dry hair. Lovely. Perfection for dayssss

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
This was a sample I had overlooked. I finally Tried it. Loved it. Now I use it when my bun and roots are crunchy. Omg. I can't believe I had this sample in my drawer for months....the cure to my dry hair was in there in that packet the whole time!

LOVE IT!

Attachments

• image-2797124566.jpg
    image-2797124566.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 47

CeeLex33

Happy Healthy Hair!
Awww thanks love! It's a slight blow out using the tension method.

CeeLex33 girl that hurr is slaying me! Omg! Is that your natural texture, a bantu knot out, what?! You need to be on my vision board!

Hit:
Oyin Hair Dew on dry hair. Lovely. Perfection for dayssss

CocoGlow

MEGA HIT: My Texas Natural Supply Products!

I mix their Creme Conditioner Base and Lotion Base II for an AWESOME DC and use their Lotion Base I as my leave-in.

My hair is full, bouncy, shiny, moisturized, strengthened and defined!

Love, love, LOVE them!

Other MEGA HIT: mixing distilled water, rose water, AVJ and SAA in a spray bottle for an after DC sealant and to prep my hair for my leave-in and sealer!

Continued Hit: sealing with organic palm oil shortening.

JulietWhiskey

Sounds great! You've got me curious about these bases .... I have a few questions if you don't mind:

For your DC do you mix the Creme Conditioner Base & Lotion Base II 50/50 or some other ratio?

What are your measurements for the ingredients in your spray bottle mix? Are you applying this after rinsing out the DC on soaking wet or damp hair?

Where do you purchase your Palm Oil Shortening? Is this the same as regular Palm Oil that has solidified? have you ever tried Crisco (Soy/Palm shortening) before? If so, is it comparable?

Do you add fragrance oils or essential oils to these bases?

Lastly, what do you use to cleanse your hair/scalp?

Sorry for soooo many questions .... Thanks in advance sis!! :yep:

JulietWhiskey

Darkside of the moon
@JulietWhiskey

Sounds great! You've got me curious about these bases .... I have a few questions if you don't mind:

For your DC do you mix the Creme Conditioner Base & Lotion Base II 50/50 or some other ratio? I mix 1/4 cup of Creme Conditioner Base, 1/4 cup of Lotion Base II, 1/4 cup of Giovanni Nutrafix and 1/4 cup of Giovanni 2Chic Ultra Moisturizing Conditioner. I then add EVOO, EVCO and glycerin. Yes, this a lot of conditioner, :lol:! I use about half the mixture on my hair like a masque and store the rest in a cool, dark place until my next DC.

What are your measurements for the ingredients in your spray bottle mix? Are you applying this after rinsing out the DC on soaking wet or damp hair? For my sealing spritz, I use this on damp hair after my DC. I'm not certain of the exact measurements, but it is about 50/50 distilled/rose water and AVJ. I add basically a splash of SAA for some "sassiness!" I spritz my high-porosity hair once week, moisturize then seal to maintain and balance my porosity.

Where do you purchase your Palm Oil Shortening? Is this the same as regular Palm Oil that has solidified? have you ever tried Crisco (Soy/Palm shortening) before? If so, is it comparable? I use the Spectrum Organic Palm Oil Shortening brand. I purchase it at Whole Foods for like, $5 for a big tub. I have used Crisco is the past and it was much oilier than the Spectrum brand. What I like about the Spectrum brand is that it's organic, it seals and clumps my curls together like say, beeswax, but it washes away easily without buildup. And it leaves a nice sheen!

Do you add fragrance oils or essential oils to these bases? No. I prefer their natural scent! And I use rosewater in my sealing spritz and the scent lasts a very long time!

Lastly, what do you use to cleanse your hair/scalp? I use Trader Joe's Tingle Treat Conditioner. I pH tested it last week and to my surprise, it is a 7, which I wasn't expecting (due to it's awesome detangling abilities, I assumed it was lower on the pH scale) and 7 is definitely much more basic than what I'm used to using on my hair so I feel it is doing a thorough job of cleansing my scalp and hair. My scalp and hair feel, look and smell very clean after using only the Tingle Treat. Shampoos, no matter how "gentle" leave my hair fried and chewed, :nono:.

Sorry for soooo many questions .... Thanks in advance sis!! :yep: No problem! I hope my answers help and please don't hesitate to ask if you have any more! And if you decide to purchase anything from TNS, please write a review on LHCF!

NappyRina

My answers are in bold...HTH!

CocoGlow

JulietWhiskey

Thank you sooo much or such thorough details!!! I love that you are thinking outside of the box and focusing on actual ingredients that work for your hair - not just brands ... it inspires me ...

I'll be in cornrows for while as I transition back to natural but I plan to try some of these products/techniques in the future ... Yes indeed! :yep:

JulietWhiskey

Darkside of the moon
@JulietWhiskey

Thank you sooo much or such thorough details!!! I love that you are thinking outside of the box and focusing on actual ingredients that work for your hair - not just brands ... it inspires me ...

I'll be in cornrows for while as I transition back to natural but I plan to try some of these products/techniques in the future ... Yes indeed! :yep:

Thanks, NappyRina!

Girl, that's how I roll, :lol:!

*Shakes and fluffs my almost bra-strap length natural hair!*

I carefully read the ingredients and use whatever works best for MY hair, even if it is a body lotion, :lachen:!

#Teamhealthyhairdontcare #Wegohardontheseinnernets #Teammyhairsosofffff

Beany

Hit: SM coconut and hibiscus hold and shine moisture mist. I apply my Li, then the moisture mist, then seal. Hair is soft and shiny

oneastrocurlie

Miss: Obia Moisture Cream and Curl Hydration Spray.

Very blah products. The spray seems like nothing more than scented water and the cream doesn't keep my hair moisturized. I still have the custard to try. My expectations are low. Glad I just got the sample pack.

Possible Hit: PBN Murumuru Moisture Milk. Used a little instead of the Obia cream this morning. Hair is feeling good :)

NaturallyATLPCH

MEGA HIT: My Texas Natural Supply Products!

I mix their Creme Conditioner Base and Lotion Base II for an AWESOME DC and use their Lotion Base I as my leave-in.

My hair is full, bouncy, shiny, moisturized, strengthened and defined!

Love, love, LOVE them!

Other MEGA HIT: mixing distilled water, rose water, AVJ and SAA in a spray bottle for an after DC sealant and to prep my hair for my leave-in and sealer!

Continued Hit: sealing with organic palm oil shortening.

I ordered the conditioning base. I can't wait to use it! JulietWhiskey

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center

Very blah products. The spray seems like nothing more than scented water
and the cream doesn't keep my hair moisturized. I still have the custard to try. My expectations are low. Glad I just got the sample pack.

Possible Hit: PBN Murumuru Moisture Milk. Used a little instead of the Obia cream this morning. Hair is feeling good :)

cwmarie

Interesting. Thanks for the review. I'll pull this out & use this up next.:look:

I Agree about PBN MM- Milk:yep:

NaturallyATLPCH

Huuuuuuge hits: Darcy's Botanicals Leave In and Silk Dreams Wheat Germ Butter leave in as hair moisturizers.

R.I.P. Oyin Hair Dew (I may keep it around for the smell)

NaturallyATLPCH

Very blah products. The spray seems like nothing more than scented water and the cream doesn't keep my hair moisturized. I still have the custard to try. My expectations are low. Glad I just got the sample pack.

cwmarie, KC on CN said the same thing about the Obia Moisture Cream. It was just...blah...I have the Twist Whip Butter so I'm hoping it's a little better.

If not, it will be used as a body butter until I use it up. :grin:

TeeBee

I am an ingredient snob. There, I said it. But, this DC here?!!

image-2727817532.jpg

image-239876491.jpg
Thick, creamy, deliciousness!!!
Don't sleep on this one folks. That is all.