Biotin 5,000mcg or MORE...pls vote...

Have you taken 5000mcg of BIOTIN or more....

• Biotin just made my hair grow

Votes: 29 17.7%
  • Biotin just made my nails grow

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Yes Biotin gave me unwanted facial hair

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • yes Biotin gave me unwanted body hair

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Yes it gave me unwanted body/facial hair but things have gone back to normal

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Yes Biotin gave me unwanted body/facial hair ...its still there.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Biotin was fine for me even taking 5000mcg or more.

Votes: 94 57.3%

• Total voters

supermodelsonya

At 1000mcg, I don't get breakouts. But I do have to shave more often. But for overall health and benefit that I've gotten from Biotin, I don't mind it at all.

When I upped my intake of Biotin (3000-4000mcg) I did experience the breakouts...like the very next day. They were very painful and my face is just starting to clear up. I stopped taking them last month but just started up again.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I took Biotin 5,000 for a long time and yes it did give me unwanted facial hair :(. I no longer take it but I think the hair is still there.

MagnoliaBelle

I was already getting biotin in my multi-vitamin. Since I joined this site I have increased my dose to 10,000 mcg with no problems. If anything changes, I will let you all know.

Urban

WOWSERS.... 5000mcg?? I Bought biotin that's 150mcg per pill... and that's all I'm taking per day. I'm already seeing changes... too scared to up it to 5000!

LaidBak

I've been taking 5000mcg a day for years. I did not get unwanted hair anywhere on my body. It gave me rock hard nails and made my hair grow faster. But....it jacked up my face. I just recently realized that my ever worsening acne was caused by my ever increasing doses of biotin.

beans4reezy

I take about 1500 MCG a day for about 2 months now...I am going to up it soon to 5000 mcg a day...but no extra hairs sprouting anywhere

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I didn't even know biotin came in 5000mcg and 7500 mcg. I used to take the 1000mcg in my HSN supplement on a daily basis and I got good growth and thickness but I did notice that I had to shave my legs and arms more. No chest hairs or anything though but it was only 1000mcg. My motto now is everything in moderation so except for my daily multi, I take my other stuff like biotin every other day. The way I see it my hair is going to grow anyway, I just need to concentrate on retaining it.

Last edited:

CurlyMoo

I take 5000mcg, but what I do it drink alot a water w/ it....and I have to make sure it's taken w/ a multivitamin. I won't take it w/o the multivitamin cause if I do my face will break out.

This is really good to know. Could be why my bumps have subsided because I take it with a multivitamin, other suppliments and Chlorella.

757diva

I take 5,000 mcg c day they were buy 1 get 1 free at my grocery store. I kid you not after 3 weeks I ended up with not 1 but 3 2 inch hairs on my nipple (TMI) I got the tweezers fast. Other than that mishap I haven't had any bumps on my face or extra hair growing anywhere else.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I've taken 5,000mcg's of Biotin for Years on a Regular. Never noticed any side effects. That's why I was very surprised to hear some of the ill effects alot of Ladies were experiencing.

No problems here. My skin is naturally dry. Never had to worry about breakouts or anything like that.:nono:

5,000mcg's of Biotin works Great for Me.:grin:

Prettyeyes

I take 1000mg a day once I tried to increase to 2000mg and my face broke out, so I simply went back to 1000mg and have had no problem.

Kerryann

oh hell to the NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO what hairs growing everywhere and ance shimps i wanted to try this but i guess i will forget it now

StarFish106

I have been taking the 5000 mcg for at least a month now and have noticed no adverse affects. I do remember to keep drinking water and take my bcomplex vitamin as well. For those that have the acne just remember to drink heaps of water. I can always tell when I have slacked off on my water consumption because the bumps come but when i get back on the aqua train they go away.

Chameleonchick

I don't know about the body hair but I have been breaking out a little more than normal. I am going back to taking 1200mg a day instead of 3000mg.

sunbubbles

You gotta drink alot of water to try and combat the breakouts. I only take 3,000 mcg/ day. Its a water soluble Vitamin, meaning your body is ONLY going to take what it needs. The rest is.......AHEM.......DISMISSED:lachen:. Yup any extra and your just gonna pee it out.

I also take flaxseed oil pills ( omega rich) and Vitamin B-12 (for my anemia) and I haven't had any adverse affects yet. In fact I swear my nails are growing like WEEDS! lol

iNicola

I've been taking a little over 6,000 mcg for over 2 weeks now, I don't drink as much water as I should and I haven't seen an increase in break outs even though I have acne prone skin. I haven't really seen an increase in growth either judging by eyebrows (I'm using mega tek too) but I have noticed that i'm loosing weight without much effort so it's working in some way.

newflowers

i always think a multi is necessary for balance, but that's just my opinion. if you increase your intake in biotin, increase your intake of water as well. i get faster hair growth all over my body, including the four pesky hairs on my chin (getting old sucks), so i have to thread, wax, and shave more often, but no chest hair thank goodness!

CurlyMoo

Hi, Blackroses!

I recently found Sundown Naturals Super Potency biotin at Walgreen's and it is 7500 mcg per pill! I was like WOW! And at the time, they were buy 1, get 1 free. Needless to say I bought them and I take them at night. They are really small.

I do notice a little faster body hair growth, but I just shave/pluck as needed. And thankfully, I have not had any acne problems that have been reported with biotin use. I have been using biotin (started with 1,000 mcg, then moved up to 5,000 mcg, now at 7,500 mcg) for about a year and a half, and have more hair growth and much stronger nails as a result. If I was to get rid of all of my vits, this one won't be one of 'em!

HTH! :)

How much growth per month do you estimate?

mstar

Luxury bacon
I had to stop taking biotin a few weeks ago...I just couldn't deal with the acne anymore. I'd been taking 5 mg (5,000 mcg) since early March, and the breakouts started less amost immediately. My skin got worse and worse, and I finally had to make a decision to stop. My face is too important to me.

I drink at least a half-gallon of water a day (sometimes more), so that wasn't the problem.

Biotin made my nails grow so fast, I had to remove my acrylics. I just couldn't keep up with them--they'd grow out and start looking raggedy within 5 days!

I really feel that biotin was helping my hair growth, so I'm going to buy a smaller dose on Friday, and hopefully that will work for me.

CurlyMoo

I had to stop taking biotin a few weeks ago...I just couldn't deal with the acne anymore. I'd been taking 5 mg (5,000 mcg) since early March, and the breakouts started less amost immediately. My skin got worse and worse, and I finally had to make a decision to stop. My face is too important to me.

I drink at least a half-gallon of water a day (sometimes more), so that wasn't the problem.

Biotin made my nails grow so fast, I had to remove my acrylics. I just couldn't keep up with them--they'd grow out and start looking raggedy within 5 days!

I really feel that biotin was helping my hair growth, so I'm going to buy a smaller dose on Friday, and hopefully that will work for me.

I'm sorry you have to stop taking it. Did you try taking it with a multivitamin too? How much growth were you getting a month?

mstar

Luxury bacon
I'm sorry you have to stop taking it. Did you try taking it with a multivitamin too? How much growth were you getting a month?
I was also taking a multi (Trader Joe's Super Crusader) that contained a miniscule amount of biotin. I stopped the vitamin once I started taking chlorella 6 weeks ago, but my acne continued until I gave up the biotin capsules.

I've only been on my hair journey since March, but I got 2.25 inches over the last 3 months, and I do believe that biotin contributed to that. Since I stopped taking it, my nails have gone back to normal growth rates, so I assume my hair will too. :ohwell:

LaidBak

No option was accurate for me. 5000mcg of biotin made my hair and nails grow. I had no unwanted body hair. But I had horrible cystic acne. I stopped it because of that.

ellehair

I just stopped taking Biotin as well. My face has broken out so bad, I RAN to the derm last week because i couldnt take it anymore.. I have so much horrible scars from the bumps so it will be a while before its back to normal.. I mena 8 to 9 huge cyst like pimples every few days. I was taking 5000mcg's never any more, and I drink so much water a day its not funny and nothing else but water. So I dont think I can hop back on the Biotin hair wagon cause my hair will still grow even if its more slowly. I can live with that:(

bablou00

You can drink all the water in the world but if your body doesnt like it its gonna tell you. I dont neccessary think Ive gotten faster growth from biotin I think it just helped with thickening my hair and retention. I take up to 10mg of biotin daily. My skin is actually doing better then it has in the past. But I only drink water so I flush the excess out of my system. Have you tried MSM? I also use retin A off on and on since 06 and I love that stuff.

Mizkajun

Good Morning All,

I am new to LHCF... Additionally, I have recently started to take Biotin 5000. I cut my hair off after over processing it with a perm almost a year and its taking forever to grow back. Does Biotin really work? Ive also heard of taking MSM. Does it matter the brand you chose or is it one in the same?

HELP!

Mizkajun

Hi there! How much hair growth did you notice after taking Biotin? How long did you take it before you started to notice growth?

Hi, Blackroses!

I recently found Sundown Naturals Super Potency biotin at Walgreen's and it is 7500 mcg per pill! I was like WOW! And at the time, they were buy 1, get 1 free. Needless to say I bought them and I take them at night. They are really small.

I do notice a little faster body hair growth, but I just shave/pluck as needed. And thankfully, I have not had any acne problems that have been reported with biotin use. I have been using biotin (started with 1,000 mcg, then moved up to 5,000 mcg, now at 7,500 mcg) for about a year and a half, and have more hair growth and much stronger nails as a result. If I was to get rid of all of my vits, this one won't be one of 'em!

HTH! :)

Mizkajun

Hi there? How much growth did you see and it what time span?

No option was accurate for me. 5000mcg of biotin made my hair and nails grow. I had no unwanted body hair. But I had horrible cystic acne. I stopped it because of that.