BLACKSTRAP MOLASSES!!!

I use a mixture of honey and molasses to my condish along with olive and jojoba oils. My hair hardly sheds, it's a deeper color, shiny and feels very moisturized.

I do this every week. I had stopped the molasses for a couple of weeks and noticed alot more shedding. Won't do that again.

Same here. Or maybe it was that while using the molasses I had no breakage.

Hmm, I think that I'm going to have to get hip to this. I have BSM sitting in my PJ stash and I've only used it once. If this is going to help with shedding/breakage, well I'm game.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
For relaxed heads -- how often do you use this? I will likely use -- BSM, Honey, JBCO, V05 Moisture Milk...does that sound like a good plan?

Here's a link provided to me by LHCF member, 20Something. I haven't reviewed it just yet (because I'm at work). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxuJxidXivo

Last edited:

Aggie

For relaxed heads -- how often do you use this? I will likely use -- BSM, Honey, JBCO, V05 Moisture Milk...does that sound like a good plan?

Here's a link provided to me by LHCF member, 20Something. I haven't reviewed it just yet (because I'm at work). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxuJxidXivo

I'm not relaxed anymore but when I was, I only used it as I felt my hair needed it and that was mostly deep into a long relaxer stretch. Your mixture sounds like a wonderful prepoo:yep:.

nestlequik

I'm 4a. I used it with some Aubrey White Camellia and some Avocado oil. It was a nice deep treatment, but I prefer EVOO over it. I think I need more moisturizing than humectant properties in this weather.

divachyk

I'm not relaxed anymore but when I was, I only used it as I felt my hair needed it and that was mostly deep into a long relaxer stretch. Your mixture sounds like a wonderful prepoo:yep:.
Thx Aggie -- I haven't used the BSM method just yet but plan to do so soon since I finally got my hands on a bottole of BSM.

Since BSM acts like a protein, should I not include a protein treatment like Aphogee 2 min in the same wash session?

I see that many relaxed heads use a strong protein treatment like Aphogee 2 step one week post. I just relaxed a week ago and am trying to figure out should I do my strong protein treatment first then the following week follow up with the BSM treatment??? Suggestions anyone?

Aggie

Thx Aggie -- I haven't used the BSM method just yet but plan to do so soon since I finally got my hands on a bottole of BSM.

Since BSM acts like a protein, should I not include a protein treatment like Aphogee 2 min in the same wash session?

I see that many relaxed heads use a strong protein treatment like Aphogee 2 step one week post. I just relaxed a week ago and am trying to figure out should I do my strong protein treatment first then the following week follow up with the BSM treatment??? Suggestions anyone?

Do not use the BSM with another protein. That would be too much. I would recommend that you use your regular protein treatment, then follow it up the next week with bsm if you like. Remember I only used the BSM prepoo deep into my relaxer stretch. I soemtimes mixed it with garlic oil when my hair was shedding and having demarcation breakage while in that stretch. That was when I felt my hair needed it most. Oh, and I always followed it up with a moisturizing conditioner.

divachyk

Do not use the BSM with another protein. That would be too much. I would recommend that you use your regular protein treatment, then follow it up the next week with bsm if you like. Remember I only used the BSM prepoo deep into my relaxer stretch. I soemtimes mixed it with garlic oil when my hair was shedding and having demarcation breakage while in that stretch. That was when I felt my hair needed it most. Oh, and I always followed it up with a moisturizing conditioner.
I've never had excessive shedding but will keep BSM prepoo in mind when my hair starts shedding a little more when deep into my stretch. Honey is more moisturizing, right? Just ensuring that using honey with a protein is not too excessive as well.

Aggie

I've never had excessive shedding but will keep BSM prepoo in mind when my hair starts shedding a little more when deep into my stretch. Honey is more moisturizing, right? Just ensuring that using honey with a protein is not too excessive as well.
Yes honey is moisturizing and is a better choice to use so soon after your relaxer.

tri3nity

I'm a relaxed 4a/b or something and I use blackstrap molasses mixed with lustrasilk olive oilo cholesterol, castor oil and aloe gel as a prepoo every weekend and it has done wonders for shedding and some scalp issues I was having. I usually apply heat for about 30 minutes then let it sit on for an hour or two more if I'm not in a hurry, rinse, wash & DC.

omnipadme

I'm too lazy to read the entire thread, sorry if this has been mentioned- but could BSM be the secret ingredient in wild growth hair oil? The texture & smell of the oil reminds me of BSM, and the oil is excellent for breakage....hmmm

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
ITA with this post. I use it as a prepoo in oil for breakage. I have a garlic/blackstrap molasses pre-poo recipe in my fotki to combat shedding and breakage in one shot:grin:. It really does act like protein because of it's strengthening properties, internally and externally. I sometimes put a couple of Tbs in my tea. Oh, and I always make sure to DC my hair after a molasses prepoo with a moisturizing deep conditioner.
@Aggie
Are you still using this for shedding? Have you ever used Alter Ego? If so, which one do you believe is better for shedding?

ETA: Is it true that BSM loosens your curl pattern. I'm not trying to do that. I want my curls to remain intact.

Last edited:

Aggie

@Aggie
Are you still using this for shedding? Have you ever used Alter Ego? If so, which one do you believe is better for shedding?

ETA: Is it true that BSM loosens your curl pattern. I'm not trying to do that. I want my curls to remain intact.
@MileHighDiva

I no longer use the BSM treatment because I don't have shedding issues anymore. I like the Alter Ego Garlic Treatment but I no longer use that either. But I did like it better than the BSM. It left my hair softer and more manageable.

If you want a treatment just for shedding, I'd suggest using 2-3 cloves of garlic , chopped and mixed with an ounce of evoo, heated in the microwave for about 20-25 seconds and massage it directly on your scalp, leave on for 30 minutes under a plastic cap, wash and DC as usual.

Now as for curl pattern loosening, I couldn't answer that since I was relaxed straight at the time. Truthfully, I am done putting foodstuff on my hair, except aloe vera gel. I really like that one.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
@MileHighDiva

I no longer use the BSM treatment because I don't have shedding issues anymore. I like the Alter Ego Garlic Treatment but I no longer use that either. But I did like it better than the BSM. It left my hair softer and more manageable.

If you want a treatment just for shedding, I'd suggest using 2-3 cloves of garlic , chopped and mixed with an ounce of evoo, heated in the microwave for about 20-25 seconds and massage it directly on your scalp, leave on for 30 minutes under a plastic cap, wash and DC as usual.

Now as for curl pattern loosening, I couldn't answer that since I was relaxed straight at the time. Truthfully, I am done putting foodstuff on my hair, except aloe vera gel. I really like that one.
Okay, I'll continue with the Alter Ego.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
If your looking to stop shedding, I've been taking garlic supplements for the past 6 months and I barely lose any hair now. I honestly get like a small ball of hair for an entire month..compared to my usual handfuls.
Which brand do you use? Is it ordor free?

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Personally I find it easier to eat fresh garlic.

But I'm trying BSM since this period week and extra iron helps. I'm enjoying drinking it in chai tea. But it makes me crave licorice (which I love).

gn1g

I use a mixture of honey and molasses to my condish along with olive and jojoba oils. My hair hardly sheds, it's a deeper color, shiny and feels very moisturized.

I do this every week. I had stopped the molasses for a couple of weeks and noticed alot more shedding. Won't do that again.

What kind of conditioner are you adding this to?