BLACKSTRAP MOLASSES!!!

Irresistible

I need to know more about this stuff

what does it do, how do you use it?

does it provide moisture? texture change? softness? color change? Conditioning?

couldnt find enough info

help please!

if you know anything about it, please share

naturalpride

I recently bought the Wholesome Organic Molasses (It's Organic Blackstrap Molasses) I purchased it from Vitamin Shoppe. I mixed it with water, aloe vera juice, and lemon essential oil. I used it as a spritz, but I didn't like the molasses, it's a good humectant, but the color of the molassas temporarily stains clothing if not used carefully.:ohwell:

Last edited:

Lady Kay 21

Ive HEARD that some people drink it mixed with an ACV and water mix like a cocktail once a day for healthy hair and skin from the inside out. :s

cutiebe2

Ive HEARD that some people drink it mixed with an ACV and water mix like a cocktail once a day for healthy hair and skin from the inside out. :s
This is what I do...a teaspoon of BS molasses, Organic ACV, and honey with hot water every morning

Urban

I'm a big fan of Blackstrap Molasses. The first time I used it was after I saw a thread on it on BHM - in regards to it stopping breakage. It was just what I needed as I was experiencing excessive breakage. It worked really well for me and pretty much stopped the breakage in its tracks.

A few posters in that thread believe it's a protein treatment. I'm not entirely sure about this theory, as many (including mine) bottles of molasses say they contain no protein at all ... so I don't really see the logic there.

The molasses treatment does, however, strengthen hair LIKE a protein treatment would. I gather it's just some other substance in it that does the job, similar to how henna or cassia strengthen via tannins.

Some mix it with other stuff like eggs or oils. I've tried it with eggs a few times and thought it worked better when I used straight molasses. The reason I haven't used it in a while was because it seemed to changed my hair colour and give it a brown tinge... that said, my hair has always kinda been a light colour ... so may be I was imagining things. But if I was to ever experience another bout of breakage, I wouldn't hesitate to grab my jar again. It worked reeeeaaaaaallllyyyy well.

SherryLove

This is what I do...a teaspoon of BS molasses, Organic ACV, and honey with hot water every morning

I do the same as well...smile...

I once added one tablespoon of blackstrap molasses to 16 oz. of AO HSR conditioner and four tablespoons of my oil mix....... my hair came out incredibly soft and full....smile....I almost sure the blackstrap molasses caused the full effect.....

the_UnPrettiest_pretty

Beauty IS skin deep.
When I used BSM about 2 years ago (why I stopped using it, IDK) it was great for strengthening my hair. I would use it as a prepoo treatment. I'd use it with some cheapie condish and let it sit for about 30 minutes. I can remember that while doing this in my regimen, I had little to no breakage and no shedding during washes. My hair was strong, yet soft. I have a bottle in the pantry, I may decide to start using it again.

the_UnPrettiest_pretty

Beauty IS skin deep.
What does this concoction do for you? What benefits have you gotten from it? I like the taste of molasses, but I wouldn't know how to incorporate it in something like that. I use in my hair cocktail, but that's about it.

Ganjababy

Thanks for this ladies.............I use BSM internally as it has a lot of nutrients it increases my HB and helps me with heavy periods but I will now add it to my conditioners too!

sweetwhispers

I posted in this thread
http://longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=179881

I love molasses, i think of it as a protein treatment. I mix it with honey and it stops breakage, makes my hair soft. Its also supposed to make your hair darker, my friend was doing my hair one day and she said it looked darker, but i was looking at the front of my head last week and its still a dirty brown/red colour so i'm not sure

Irresistible

Thanks for this ladies.............I use BSM internally as it has a lot of nutrients it increases my HB and helps me with heavy periods but I will now add it to my conditioners too!

I been sittin here tryin to figure out what HB is, but I cant

probably somethin real simple too LOL

hormone balance?

lovleelilie

I'm a big fan of Blackstrap Molasses. The first time I used it was after I saw a thread on it on BHM - in regards to it stopping breakage. It was just what I needed as I was experiencing excessive breakage. It worked really well for me and pretty much stopped the breakage in its tracks.

A few posters in that thread believe it's a protein treatment. I'm not entirely sure about this theory, as many (including mine) bottles of molasses say they contain no protein at all ... so I don't really see the logic there.

The molasses treatment does, however, strengthen hair LIKE a protein treatment would. I gather it's just some other substance in it that does the job, similar to how henna or cassia strengthen via tannins.

Some mix it with other stuff like eggs or oils. I've tried it with eggs a few times and thought it worked better when I used straight molasses. The reason I haven't used it in a while was because it seemed to changed my hair colour and give it a brown tinge... that said, my hair has always kinda been a light colour ... so may be I was imagining things. But if I was to ever experience another bout of breakage, I wouldn't hesitate to grab my jar again. It worked reeeeaaaaaallllyyyy well.

Urban, how did you apply it??! Heavy, light, mixed w/ anything? THX!!! :yep:

SunnyDelight

I've used it with other conditioners as a protein treatment (mild)

I have ingested it too - 2tbsps on an empty stomach. If nothing else it kept me extremely regular.

Cichelle

I used to take it for the iron. But the taste really makes me want to gag. I've never used it for my hair.

Urban

Urban, how did you apply it??! Heavy, light, mixed w/ anything? THX!!! :yep:

I preferred it when I didn't mix anything. Just straight molasses. Application-wise, I just slathered it on in sections like I would conditioner. It's really sticky though, so just be careful not to rip out your hair esp if it's really fine.

imstush

I used to take it for the iron. But the taste really makes me want to gag. I've never used it for my hair.

Same here. I started it for the iron but :nono: I really should go back though.

what's the significance of "blackstrap"? is that different from just regular ol molasses?

Yea there is a difference

Blackstrap molasses is not really common to the average grocery shopper, therefore; it isn't always found in a regular grocery store, but is sometimes. Blackstrap molasses is very popular to health fanatics. Why? According to statistics of molasses and within it's involvement towards the creation, there is a 40% less sugar rate than regular molasses. In fact, according to health experts, blackstrap molasses provides vitamin D, as well as, elements such as magnesium, potassium and iron. Because of this, health fanatics are attracted to blackstrap molasses on a variety of wavelengths.

The rest of the article is here http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/313439/difference_between_blackstrap_molasses.html?cat=51

Leeda.the.Paladin

I use it in my caramel treatments. It's supposed to be an excellent source of potassium, calcium, iron, and magnessium. It is said to strengthen the hair and leave it soft and full of sheen.

MissRissa

Same here. I started it for the iron but :nono: I really should go back though.

Yea there is a difference

Blackstrap molasses is not really common to the average grocery shopper, therefore; it isn't always found in a regular grocery store, but is sometimes. Blackstrap molasses is very popular to health fanatics. Why? According to statistics of molasses and within it's involvement towards the creation, there is a 40% less sugar rate than regular molasses. In fact, according to health experts, blackstrap molasses provides vitamin D, as well as, elements such as magnesium, potassium and iron. Because of this, health fanatics are attracted to blackstrap molasses on a variety of wavelengths.

The rest of the article is here http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/313439/difference_between_blackstrap_molasses.html?cat=51

GRACIAS!!!!!!!!