"BUTTER IT UP!" SUMMER CHALLENGE AND STYLES

bravenewgirl87

So, i have extremely dry hair and i have been using products with little to no cones, mineral oil-free and petroluem free.My hair loves oils (amla, sweet almond, Jojoba and Jasmine) and organic butters, but they only way my hair sops them up or recieve benefits is it if soaking wet or damp. Anyone else notice that products only work on their hair when the hair is wet? I am thinking about going out with my hair damp (its short now), "buttering" it up and leaving it well moisturize to combat the florida heat. Anyone else want to try this summer butter challenge with me?

Objectives:

1. We wet our hair when we moisturize, "Butter It Up" (as i call it) and wear it damp in protective styles.
2. It can still be fingerstyled and sophisicated, so don't worry about looking a mess.
3. I think this will give new found love for products you thought didn't do a thing for you hair.

Anyone want to post pics of protective /low-mo styles ideas for this challenge? Right now, my bangs are pulled into a faux hawk and slicked back.

Starting from June 17, 2007
First check in: July 17, 2007
Second check in: August 17, 2007

Anyone with any rules to add?

Last edited:

bravenewgirl87

Bumping.

Do you all not understand it? Do you not think it will work to moisturize dry or hair with too much protein?

Why do I feel like this might be personal:look::(

bravenewgirl87

MsDee4 said:
not personal... but hair that stays damp for too long everyday (if I'm understanding your challenge right) can lead to over-moisturized, mushy hair which will ultimately cause damage

ETA. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=115102

I was worried about that too. But, what if you are like me, and you have a protein leave-in that seems to only work its magic on wet hair? Surge 14, only works for when i hair is wet. Wouldn't it be helpful, ya'll? Also, you won't have to worry about moisturizing everyday, just wet your hair, protect and head out the door. Would it work then?

MzOptimistic

I think once you go outside in the summer heat, your hair is going to dry out, in other words, I do not think your hair is going to stay moisturized. JMHO;) You betta get like me and hide your hair. Hair grows faster in the summer! Not trying to knock ya challenge or anything:+)

ETA: I don't really mean you betta be like me. It's just a figure of speech. YA know what I'm saying. Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Last edited:

glamazon386

I don't think it's personal but I think most ladies here are not doing the "wash and wear" thing with their hair everyday.

HoneyDew

I love how well my hair stays moisturized when I use Qhemet's Sidr Tree Butter Balm which has a Mowrah Butter base. I use it on my wet hair as a leave in and it last for DAYS!! I airdry mostly, but whenever I use the blowdryer even if just for a few minutes, it does not last as long and I find myself moisturizing a couple of days after wash day, but still - this stuff is good. This butter potion has also helped me prevent a dry scalp, too. I love it.

HoneyDew

MsDee4 said:
not personal... but hair that stays damp for too long everyday (if I'm understanding your challenge right) can lead to over-moisturized, mushy hair which will ultimately cause damage

ETA. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=115102

Great point. My hair cannot be wet all the time. Even using the butter on my wet hair and allowing it to airdry has caused chronic overmoisturization for me. I MUST do regular protein as a result. I don't mind because I prefer it over dryness, but I can't even imagine what would be going on if I left my hair wet.

bravenewgirl87

HoneyDew said:
I love how well my hair stays moisturized when I use Qhemet's Sidr Tree Butter Balm which has a Mowrah Butter base. I use it on my wet hair as a leave in and it last for DAYS!! I airdry mostly, but whenever I use the blowdryer even if just for a few minutes, it does not last as long and I find myself moisturizing a couple of days after wash day, but still - this stuff is good. This butter potion has also helped me prevent a dry scalp, too. I love it.

You summed my routine perfectly. I have been doing it because i kept noticing that my hair would feel greasy, but as soon as I washed again... dry as I don't know what. It just seems to seep and settle in with water.

Thanks for the advice ya'll... You know me..i don't get offended much so saying " you better be like me" is no way near an insult.

bravenewgirl87

HoneyDew said:
Great point. My hair cannot be wet all the time. Even using the butter on my wet hair and allowing it to airdry has caused chronic overmoisturization for me. I MUST do regular protein as a result. I don't mind because I prefer it over dryness, but I can't even imagine what would be going on if I left my hair wet.

Yes! I do let it airdry. My hair feels much better... I think it works great for the unpredictable weather we have been having. Aaaaand, I don't have to do a lot of combing/brushing for my new short cut.

glamazon386

bravenewgirl87 said:

Yes! I do let it airdry. My hair feels much better... I think it works great for the unpredictable weather we have been having. Aaaaand, I don't have to do a lot of combing/brushing for my new short cut.

Wait did you bc? Or did you just cut some hair off?

bravenewgirl87

bmoreflyygirl said:
Wait did you bc? Or did you just cut some hair off?

No... i punked out and got a relaxer. :cry:But the lady trimed a bit off my ends to give it shape. i don't think i am ever going to transition again. The next time i am going to just shave the whole thing and grow from there.

glamazon386

bravenewgirl87 said:

No... i punked out and got a relaxer. :cry:But the lady trimed a bit off my ends to give it shape. i don't think i am ever going to transition again. The next time i am going to just shave the whole thing and grow from there.

Awwww! Do you have pictures? :grin:

Karamelcutie

Hey bravenewgirl. I'm definately feeling your challenge. I wet/Co Wash my hair every morning then put Amla and Olive Heavy Creme and Curls Whipped Cream in my hair. I have dry hair so the water combined with the creams really helps me retain moisture. My hair dries within an hour or two but putting water on it everyday REALLY keeps my hair mositurized.

MzOptimistic

bravenewgirl87 said:

You summed my routine perfectly. I have been doing it because i kept noticing that my hair would feel greasy, but as soon as I washed again... dry as I don't know what. It just seems to seep and settle in with water.

Thanks for the advice ya'll... You know me..i don't get offended much so saying " you better be like me" is no way near an insult.

I'm glad because I did not mean any harm:kiss: you know you gotta watch what you say/type around here and I see errbody put disclaimers so I thought I'd put one!:grin:

Last edited:

dillard

GoingNatural said:
I just want to post here because i like the phrase "butter it up" :)

yeah, i love it too! "butter it up, babeeee" :D :cool:

this might work for me cuz I wash my hair almost every morning anyway(after working out)

Leslie_C

Karamelcutie said:
Hey bravenewgirl. I'm definately feeling your challenge. I wet/Co Wash my hair every morning then put Amla and Olive Heavy Creme and Curls Whipped Cream in my hair. I have dry hair so the water combined with the creams really helps me retain moisture. My hair dries within an hour or two but putting water on it everyday REALLY keeps my hair mositurized.

Ditto,
I do the same thing most days of the week although Im gonna experiment with braidouts on slightly damp (just spritzed with water and moisturized) hair for less manipulation. But Ive been co-washing and using a combo of homemeade curl pudding and carefree curl for the past few months and my hair is definitely thriving. Its getting thicker and longer and finally showing progress.

My hair is really dry too and it seems like no type or amount of moisturizer will moisturize my hair if I put it on dry hair. It just evaporates or something. Now when I do my wash n go's, it retains moisture very well. I just spray an extra layer of carefree curl on top of the curl pudding if the curl pudding makes it feel a little stiff. The key for me is rarely combing my hair. I probably only comb thru it once a week and thats in the shower while rinsing out the conditioner under running water. The rest of the time I finger comb and sometimes go over the edges with a soft brisle boar brush (almost like a baby brush) or my denman brush.

bravenewgirl87

bmoreflyygirl said:
Awwww! Do you have pictures? :grin:

I am having camera issues but they will be in my fotki soon. Maybe today. You know whats soooo funny: Now that I relaxed, my stylist in natural and so many people on my campus is natural. I feel like doe-doe.