Calling all transitioners with very thick hair

Tai

I'm currently texturized and considering transitioning again. The only reason I even texturized after my first transition was that my hair was entirely too thick and was constantly getting tangled. The only style I could wear successfully was a bun because wearing it down, whether straight or curly, was ALWAYS a disaster by the middle of the day.
Are there any current transitioners who have extremely thick hair who are transitioning without having to deal with tangles, who are able to deal with their hair without difficulty? Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. I'd hate to start transitioning only to end up texturing again because my thick hair was too much for my patience.

TIA

Karonica

I transitioned last year and had excessive tangles, but only discovered it came from two products I was using. I went 16 weeks, could've kept going, but I just had an urge for straight hair again. It helps to wear styles where you don't have to keep fussing in your hair. My staple is a weave. How do you like to wear your hair?

Tai

I tend to wear my hair down. My face is too round to have it pulled back. Currently, I've been wearing it curly and that's just reminded me of how much I loved my texture when it was natural but the insane thickness of it is making me unsure if I want to return my hair back to it's natural state. I just wondered if there were any tips to help me deal with the thickness and allow me to wear my hair the way I like it.

Karonica

Do you like to do braid-outs? Instead of wearing your hair all down, you can pin it up in the back, or pin up the front and let the rest in the back hang down.

Tai

I haven't tried a braidout since the ones I've seen resemble the way my hair looks when I wear it curly. I'll try one and see how it looks. Thanks for the suggestion.

GodMadeMePretty

I have very thick hair and am transitioning. I'm almost at 1 year. Until I found the Denman brush, I had tangles out of this world. Also I hadn't found out the secret - comb/brush out under streaming water with conditioner. After that, my hair is completely detangled.

I wear my hair pulled back most of the time but it looks better when I've braided it before pulling it back. This is my staple look now. The braidouts give me a false sense of less thickness. It's quite amazing. I don't know how to describe it. Without the braidouts, my hair won't lay flat unless I brush the waves/curls down. With the braidouts, it will lay flat just with fingercombing. It is giving me hope that I can accomplish it this time. When I went natural before back in 90/91, the only *cool* styles were straight - meaning you pressed your hair. My hair always reverted quickly and I was a big hair girl. But now, I love my big hair because it's thick.

alibi

hair bored
Is there something wrong with the texturizer? I mean, do you not like it for some reason? If your hair is extremely thick, it would seem like it would make it more manageable? Are you getting damage, or do you just have a desire for no chemicals? I was just wondering so I know how to advise.
I always feel that when making these tyoe of decisions, you have to consider how you like to wear your hair, and how much time your willing to put into styling it.

Tai

I like my texturizer. I don't have any problems with it and it hasn't caused any damage to my hair. I just happen to like the texture of my hair better when it's chemical free. I'm a 3b/c texturized but a 3a natural. Since it had been awhile since I had transitioned, I wondered if there may be some techniques that I wasn't aware of that would let me go back natural but allow my hair to be thinner and less tangled.

kimwntshair1

Ladies this is funny! I am fairly new and I have definately become a pj ALREADY but I can't get with the pee-pee. If that is what it takes then I will be wearing a low fade. I was told a few years ago when my baby had thrush of the mouth to rub his diaper in his mouth
. I am glad I know better.

inthepink

Hmm - not necessarily sure if I have "thick" hair but I do have "big" hair as I'm coming to find out with my transition. I absolutely have an issue with tangles!!! My two saving graces are: Biolage Leave-In Tonic (diluted 1:1 with distilled water) and Suave Awapuhi.

I've done this the past few times I've done my hair and I can comb through it with a FINE tooth comb with no snarls or tangles:
Conditioner wash with St. Ives Extra Shine Conditioner (comb through with Jilbere comb but this conditioner is amazing!)
Rinse 90% and then apply a dallop of Suave Awapuhi to both sections (or two dallops for whole head)
Spray Biolage Leave-In (about 3 sprays on both sides using spray bottle)
Apply Moisturizer with hands all over lightly
Section off from back to front and apply moisturizer making sure to reach ALL of hair. Comb through each section after moisturizing (a fine tooth comb will glide right though!)
Comb back into ponytails to dry.

No snarls, tangles, or excessive shedding!

Tai

Lsubabiedee,
I don't know how that happened.
It's bizarre to me but my stylist has a few clients who's hair type has done this type of switcheroo. I have a co-worker who had 2c hair before she texturized it and now it's a 3c, best friend who was a white 4a natural (they're rare but exist) who was about a 3a when relaxed and is currently a 2a after her relaxer grew out. Seems odd but it does happen.

Hairlove, thanks for the advice.
Seeing your gorgeous hair reminded me of how my hair was natural and was one of the many reasons why I'm contemplating going back now.