Caramel Hair treatment?

trinidarkie1

A friend of mine was telling me about how long she's been able to grow out for.
I normally stretch for 12 weeks at a time. I use my ORS replenishing pak religiously among other things.
She says that the hairdresser she goes to uses some caramel treatment, that you leave in, then there is a sealer/constructor or something that you do after three weeks followed by another caramel treatment.

Of course she couldnt remember the name.
Does anybody know what she is talking about?
She stressed the word Caramel.

I'm going to do a googe search to see what I find.

Nita81

The product line is called Etae you can get the caramel treatment from www.etaeproducts.com/products.htm

The ingredients are honey, olive oil, bananas, molasses, cornstarch water, vinegar, and wheatgerm oil.

I didn't care for the customer service bc they actually forgot my order sent the order out late(after I called asking them where my order was). It took two weeks.

The product itself is nice....based on the simple ingredients I could whip it up myself. I use it by itself and in my conditioner mixes.

sunshinelady

Hey there,

Did this treatment get your hair straight? I heard from others that you can get your hair relaxer straight with this.

Thanks!

P

patient1

Nita81 said:
The product line is called Etae you can get the caramel treatment from www.etaeproducts.com/products.htm

The ingredients are honey, olive oil, bananas, molasses, cornstarch water, vinegar, and wheatgerm oil.

I didn't care for the customer service bc they actually forgot my order sent the order out late(after I called asking them where my order was). It took two weeks.

The product itself is nice....based on the simple ingredients I could whip it up myself. I use it by itself and in my conditioner mixes.

Wow!! Those product ingredients sound great!!

I'll have to put that on my list of things to try for sure. :) The salon looks promising too.

p1

Mars_Reiko

Looks interesting. I would like to know more about how these products slow down or eliminate the need for chemical relaxers or straightening combs.:)

JustKiya

I LOVE the caramel treatment - I make a homemade version, though.

It moisturizes your hair so well that it's 'heavy' and it is straighter - very temporarily - well, I don't know. It might stay straight for a while, but I've never experimented, as I love it for the moist & shiny, not the straight.

Here's a link to the how-to I made on the homemade version....

trinidarkie1

Girl I clicked on that link and IT swooped down on me :lachen:

See what I mean? You are so versatile.
Can you post the ingredients here? It might be cheaper for me to go to the BSS today and get it, it's $16.99 b4 tax. And $15 on the brand website, so I can live. I would like to try it tonight to straighten out my hair so I can resist the urge to relax and continue my stretch.

JustKiya

Girl I clicked on that link and IT swooped down on me :lachen:

See what I mean? You are so versatile.
Can you post the ingredients here? It might be cheaper for me to go to the BSS today and get it, it's $16.99 b4 tax. And $15 on the brand website, so I can live. I would like to try it tonight to straighten out my hair so I can resist the urge to relax and continue my stretch.

:lachen: My bad!! That's - odd. I don't know why, since while I'm hosted on blogger, it's not in the URL - :look: I had to do that to get IT offa MY back. :lachen:

Here's the ingredient list for the homemade. Someone up above posted the one from the BSS by Etae.

The recipe is:

1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup red palm oil
1/4 cup shea butter
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup Apple cider vinegar
3.5 oz banana baby food
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup molasses
water (as needed to thin)

Melt the oils.
Blend everything together (I use my blender - it's easier....)
Apply to hair.

I've NEVER added water, as it's plenty thin enough! The original recipe called for wheat germ oil, which I didn't have, so I subbed the RPO.

Please, I don't care how ripe those bananas are in your fridge, it's worth it to buy the baby food. Trust me. Seriously. :nono: :lachen:

I suspect the Etae will be a little 'neater' as it's got starch in it to make it thicker/less drippy. I've yet to figure out a way to add starch and not have it either separate or clump up, so I just live with the drips for an hour or two while it's on my head. The results are worth it. :yep:

ETA: That makes about 2 'servings' - 4 if you cut it half and half with your favorite uber-moisturizing conditioner (which also reduces the drippies)

Last edited:

trinidarkie1

Girl these IT ppl block almost everything. I thank God everyday that i can get on here without drama.

Thanks for posting the recipe. I can't get all the ingredients in one place and I have to drive too far to pick up some of the things.

Have you ever tried Coconut Milk to straighten?

I am going to buy the Caramel Treatment though, and use it tonight.
I'm excited!

JustKiya

Girl these IT ppl block almost everything. I thank God everyday that i can get on here without drama.

Thanks for posting the recipe. I can't get all the ingredients in one place and I have to drive too far to pick up some of the things.

Have you ever tried Coconut Milk to straighten?

I am going to buy the Caramel Treatment though, and use it tonight.
I'm excited!

I've used coconut milk & the coconut milk & lime mixes - and while I liked them on my hair, the straightness wasn't - it wasn't shocking, ya know? I could tell my hair 'hung' a little more, but that was it. And that's messier than the Caramel treatment is, so I haven't used it in a while.

Oooh, you'll definitely have to report back on the Etae Caramel! I've never even looked for it at the BSS - did you call them to see if they carried it?

trinidarkie1

I will definitely report and try my best to take pics. :)
I saw it at the BSS months ago, and I called to be sure they still had it, which they did.
It's the BSS or the tack shop, both close at 6 and are in opposite directions. It's a little out of the way but I can try to make it to both.

leo76

Hey ladies, so you're saying if you purchased the treatment it won't mess natural hair up? i'm looking for something to help out just a little bit on my natural hair as far as straightness.

trinidarkie1

Hey ladies, so you're saying if you purchased the treatment it won't mess natural hair up? i'm looking for something to help out just a little bit on my natural hair as far as straightness.

Hi Leo76, from what I understand it's for stretching relaxers or for stretching/non chemical straightening and loosening of natural hair.
It's a treatment, very thick, applied throughout, and then rinsed out etc and blow dried out/roller.

nycutiepie

I just ordered this from ETAE today based on this thread. It was only $15 but the shipping was $10 :ohwell: so I hope it's worth it.

trinidarkie1

I hope it is as well. You sure none of the BSS's in your area have this? I feel bad, I don't do shipping fees at all. I'm driving to my BSS to get it, and it's $16.99 so I'll send up paying $18.18 for it.

I just ordered this from ETAE today based on this thread. It was only $15 but the shipping was $10 :ohwell: so I hope it's worth it.

Lucky's Mom

:lachen:Normally I agree, however, when I think about buying a perm versus using this every week or couple weeks, I think I can take the risk.

I have loads of hair... so I cannot afford 2 bottles of the stuff.......

It is cheaper for me to make since I have all the stuff....:drunk:

trinidarkie1

uPDATE: I used the caramel. Yes heavy handedly, so I used a bit more than half on my hair. Applied a shower cap and went to cooking and exercising. Needless to say the sweating made it run down my face and back a lil bit.

I rinsed with lukewarm water, followed by A co wash with Free Me Freesia and NTM Daily Deep Conditioner.

THe result: Not so sure :ohwell:
The front of my hair looks a lil more relaxed, but no stark differences. The body of my hair feels good. I am airdrying to see what my hair will feel like when that happens.

JustKiya

uPDATE: I used the caramel. Yes heavy handedly, so I used a bit more than half on my hair. Applied a shower cap and went to cooking and exercising. Needless to say the sweating made it run down my face and back a lil bit.

I rinsed with lukewarm water, followed by A co wash with Free Me Freesia and NTM Daily Deep Conditioner.

THe result: Not so sure :ohwell:
The front of my hair looks a lil more relaxed, but no stark differences. The body of my hair feels good. I am airdrying to see what my hair will feel like when that happens.

How long did you leave it on? Applied on wet or dry hair? How thick was it? :lol:

Are you gonna try the homemade version? Hrm, now I really want to try it, to see if there's a difference!

trinidarkie1

How long did you leave it on? Applied on wet or dry hair? How thick was it? :lol:

Are you gonna try the homemade version? Hrm, now I really want to try it, to see if there's a difference!

How long?
- I left it on for about an hour. Maybe a lil more.

Applied wet or dry?
- I applied on Dry hair.

How thick was it?
- It was thick enough, ahmn like honey I guess?

I think once this is done I am going to try the homemade version. Considering that I used half a bottle in one use.

JustKiya

How long?
- I left it on for about an hour. Maybe a lil more.

Applied wet or dry?
- I applied on Dry hair.

How thick was it?
- It was thick enough, ahmn like honey I guess?

I think once this is done I am going to try the homemade version. Considering that I used half a bottle in one use.

Hrm, okay, yup that's the same way I use it, except I leave it on twice as long, but I leave everything on twice as long. :lol: I'd be very interested to see your results with the homemade version.

trinidarkie1

I too would like to see the results from the homemade version.
This I see as a monthly thing, I don't know if I can afford to do this every week.

JustKiya

I too would like to see the results from the homemade version.
This I see as a monthly thing, I don't know if I can afford to do this every week.

The homemade one you could, I think, as it's pretty cheap - esp. for an ingredient junkie like me, since I already had everything but the banana baby food when I first found the recipe. :lachen::nono: Danggone shame.