cassia obovata support thread AKA neutral henna

jamaraa

^^^^It works too! It's the same herb tho...the 'maha' only means 'king' because bhringraj is known as 'the king of hair' in their herbal system.

girlcherokee

yup i think it was one of these! i saw the Mahabhringaraj at the indian store today. anyone ever use it - i could really use a sound sleep along with hair benefits! but then, i maybe should actually go to bed instead of surfing LHCF all night right? ha!
which one of these is the most moisturizing. the mahabhrigaraj is a mix of herbs right?

jamaraa

mahabhringraj and maka=bhringraj (just another name...no different or compounded herbs) However, the word mahabrhringaj is usually associated w/ an oil (usually in a sesame base) and w/ compounded herbs. The main herbal ingredient is bhringraj. The herb works fine in any format...oil or powder. What you choose to buy is up to you, you'll get the benefits.

gotu kola=brahmi

amalaki=amla

They use different names for the herbs in different parts of India, but the herbs are pretty much the same thing.

girlcherokee

oh ok - i see
now how should i use this? as a co - wash?
i was thinking, i am sitting here with trader joes conditioner on my head for the night, and it is mostly made up of natural ingredients, however, it has a few parabens in it. how great would it be to have an herbal paste that promotes hair growth and maybe even a good nights sleep, and that would condition and moisturize my hair that i could sleep in from time to time. is that asking too much? is it possible with any of these herbs?

jamaraa

Here's a mahabhringraj oil w/ the ingredients listed: http://tinyurl.com/5l9tht

If you'll notice, bhringraj is the very 1st ingredient and til (ie sesame oil) is #2. If you want to use the herb in the way you describe, an oil might be your best bet. Sleeping in a paste of this stuff will be messy.

Yes, the "head" herbs, esp brahmi and bhringraj are used to induce sleep and to help your concentration. People usually take gotu kola pills to keep the mind sharp and for other things. Almost all of this vedic stuff is used both internally and externally for far more than hair care/growth.

girlcherokee

yup i saw this at the indian store today! you know i am becoming motivated to infuse myself some oil for sleeping a night or two a week. i am reading sareca's thread on infusing oils now and think i will run out tomorrow and buy a small slow cooker.
so:
brahmi
bhringraj(is there another name for this too?)
should i put hibiscus petals as well?

jamaraa

Why use a slow cooker? THE SUN is free and works more efficiently, lol...it's August! Just put the herbs and oil in a jar and set it outside for a few hot days. Shake it every so often...then bring it in and let the herbs settle to the bottom, carefully pour into whatever your normal container you choose and go for it. Covering it w/ sand will help it trap heat, but you don't absolutely need sand.

In winter, simply use the oven on low. You put your jar w/ herbs and oil in a water bath in a roaster and turn on low heat for a few hours. Your water should cover the outside of the jar halfway. Whatever you do, no stove. Oil burns...ouch city.

Maka is another name for bhringraj. You can put in whatever you want..oils or herbs, just consider what they do and what you want from it. I'd stick for simple and go for the herbs you've chosen, tho shikakai is a nice addition.

girlcherokee

jamaara you are a genius!! i will let you know how this goes! the idea of putting something into my hair that is also good for the rest of me is greatly appealing to me. i really feel that this is right up my alley! cant wait to get started!! i will let you know how this goes!!

jamaraa

LOL...not a genius, just extremely practical. Her method is good in theory...getting the stuff in the cooker is a snap, but what of getting it out? The ceramic removable part of a crock pot is incredibly heavy, so getting the oil into another container is going to be a problem. You're going to have alot of wasting of your product thru spillage. Then you have a dangerous problem w/ spilled oil and heavy crockery. If the oil and crockery are still hot...ouch city.

If you infuse in the container you plan to store the majority of oils, all you have to do is pour some out or not depending on your preferences. No need to deal w/ hot oil OR heavy ceramics which can fall and break.

You can choose to strain your oils or not, depending on how finely they are ground and if you like a bit of "sludge" in your oils. I do, I just swirl the bottle I use it from to mix well.

girlcherokee

ok i just came back from the indian store:
i found brahmi, and maka(bringraj) powder and the mahabhringraj oil(found the oil in the first store - then found the powder in the 2nd store i tried)
i also bought a big bottle of parachute coconut oil - and then i stopped in walmart and saw a 2qt crock pot for $1 - could not pass that up so i took that too!!
so i am about to put together my first batch of oil - i also bought amla so that i can make my own amla oil(in coconut oil?) - i'll do this tomorrow.
while there i also picked for later use:
aritha and neem.

jamaraa

^^^Are you planning to make artiha into an oil? As for neem oil, LOL, just use it in thr powder form...TRUST ME on this one! It stinks to high heaven in any form, but esp. oil.

Yeah, you can make your amla in a coconut oil base. I'd add a little bit of another oil to prevent "freezing" tho because pure coconut oil turns solid when it's below 78F or so. Just add a little olive oil, castor, etc...whatever you have around to your infusion. That should stop it from freezing up on ya, at least fully.

You bought bhringraj and mahabringraj oil? What do you plan on doing w/ the powder form?

naturalgurl

I learned about cassia AFTER I bought a years supply of henna and indigo. I'm like the OP who just wants it for it's strengthening and thickening properties. Not for the color. After I've used up my henna and indigo, I'm going to start using cassia.

ETA~ I don't want red hair or highlights, thus the indigo. Some say henna won't dye dark hair but others say, yes it does. Red hightlights. Either way, I want all black hair...

jamaraa

^^^If you want all black hair, you're going to have to keep using indigo w/ your cassia. Cassia will leave blonde hair on greys, so don't forget that.

Henna leaves color on every color hair everytime it's used, as does cassia, but both won't show as much as on light hair. When you get in the sun or you have greys, that's when the color shows.

girlcherokee

^^^Are you planning to make artiha into an oil? As for neem oil, LOL, just use it in thr powder form...TRUST ME on this one! It stinks to high heaven in any form, but esp. oil.

Yeah, you can make your amla in a coconut oil base. I'd add a little bit of another oil to prevent "freezing" tho because pure coconut oil turns solid when it's below 78F or so. Just add a little olive oil, castor, etc...whatever you have around to your infusion. That should stop it from freezing up on ya, at least fully.

You bought bhringraj and mahabringraj oil? What do you plan on doing w/ the powder form?
i thought i would try the aritha as a shampoo one of these days. isnt that the one that soaps up? is there a use for aritha as an oil? what would it be good for? LOL i'll stay away from the neem oil:lachen: i basically just bought it to use for it's antiseptic properties if the occasion presented itself. you know with kids in the house you never know. plus i noticed they make toothpaste out of it, so i was wondering about that too.
i added castor and olive oil to the mixure. the mixture is really dark - did i add too much powder? i added about a table spoon of each herb.

jamaraa

You can use neem in whatever way you choose, just stick to the powder! LOL....you'll be happy you did.

Yes, aritha foams, but based on what you said, I thought you were going to infuse it. Just used it in powder form. A "tea" is the way to go. Just do it in a container of some size since it's your shampoo.

LOL@ "too much powder" to an oil!! You can't have too much powder as far as I'm concerned. Remember I use the "sludge" too. ;) I usually like 2-1 ratio for a single oil. Say 2 oz oil- 1 oz herb.

girlcherokee

great!!! cant wait to try this out!!! oh can i use this on dd - she is 8
on her swimming days i usually put conditioner in her hair for her to sleep with since she does not like getting her hair washed, she washes it out in the show the next morning. would this be too strong for her - ayurvedically speaking? if thats a word. LOL

jamaraa

Nah, people use veda on babies. Reetha on an 8 year old or vedic oils should be no problem at all. Go to the www.Indusladies.com forums and see how they use things on kids.

girlcherokee

ok guys!
i washed the oil out of my hair this morning, then decided to be a little bit daring(again) and did a quick rinse of amla and maka - mixed in a lose liquidy mix, just basically poured it over my head let is stay for about a minute then wahed it out with trader joes conditioner and rinsed well, pulled out my beloved ors repleneshing, left that in for about an hour or so while i did house work, and..... butter - nice and soft and strong, beautiifully balanced hair. i have it now in a braid out pony tail, and the pony tail is swanging, with lots of body and my hair looks thick and shiny!!! all this and i have not gotten the cassia yet guys! i am loving this ayurveda hair care, this is soooo up my alley!! Thank you Jamaara!

jamaraa

Cherokia...I'm glad your hair is starting to get back where you wanted it to be. The cassia, if you choose, will just put it back over the top to health....but continuing what your hair likes is the key no matter. Congrats. ;)

girlcherokee

hey samantha!
so you were at the convention eh? looks like it was pretty exciting there!!! is that joe biden you guys are standing with?

edited to say:
duh - it's Tom Brokaw and i should actually READ what you have written next to the picture!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

girlcherokee

ok - my cassia FINALLY came!!! i thought it never would!!! and i finally applied it this sunday!!! i am in love!!! Jamaara thank you so much for your guidance!! this is some wonderful stuff!!! i also added the fenugreek like you said, i did not expect the slip that it had. is fenugreek sometimes used as conditioner as well? i was a bit lazy to make the powder(reciculous since i just had to throw the seeds in the blender), so i made a tea, let it steep overnight and then blended the tea and ended up with a cream. spooned a few spoon fulls of that fenugreek cream into my cassia mix with conditioner and brahmi and maka(just a little) and my hair is a dream. it washed out soft and shiny. didnt even feel like i needed to condition it but i did it anyway, just in case - left the conditioner in for a few hours and rinsed.