Henna vs. Cassia Obovata please advise

Eritreladiee

Ok, so I’m a natural head, in the 3c range with very fine strands- too fine for their own good. I want thicker strands, but that’s all I want- don’t want colour, don’t want a looser texture (no offense to anybody.) I know a little loosening comes with the territory, but I just don’t want to feel like I have a different head of hair to have to re-learn styling and working my curls. Anyways, I know to mix lots of amla in whatever I’m gonna use.

So would I be better off using henna/indigo or cassia obovata? Which one will make my hair thicker? which will produce less of the stretched curl effect? (the colour of cassia won’t be an issue, cuz I haven’t been blessed with any gray's) Is cassia just as permanent or will I be able to highlight my hair sometime in the future if I wanted? What do you guys think?? Also, are there any other strand thickeners out there?

TIA

LadyPaniolo

I'm interested in the answer too...

I know that if you don't want color, then henna is not for you :nono: I didn't think the henna would change my hair color because my hair is naturally dark brown, like chestnut. Well, it did. Now my hair is a very very dark reddish brown, but still clearly the red can be seen. I'm going to indigo this week to change that.

I can't wait to try cassia... I'm looking forward to some more experienced cassia users to chime in here.

sharifeh

What color is your hair?
Is it black or dark brown?

It's your call about the henna vs the cassia. If you mix the henna, put it on right away,and leave it on for 2-4 hours, you should get the conditioning effects without the color.

My mom and aunts have been hennaing their whole lives for color and then switched to chemical color recently with no adverse effects.

sharifeh

I know that if you don't want color, then henna is not for you :nono: I didn't think the henna would change my hair color because my hair is naturally dark brown, like chestnut. Well, it did. Now my hair is a very very dark reddish brown, but still clearly the red can be seen. I'm going to indigo this week to change that.

oh really? what kind of henna did you use and how did you use it?

Eritreladiee

My hair is black. If i'd henna, i'd indigo too. But do henna and cassia have the same effect in terms of thickening? Are they the same thing but just release a different colour?

Wildkat08

Great Thread!! I've been wondering and wanting the same thing! No color, no straight hair, just thicker strands. BUMP BUMP BUMP

LadyPaniolo

oh really? what kind of henna did you use and how did you use it?

I used the bulk henna from From Nature With Love. I mixed it with lemon juice or ACV, and water. Then I applied it and didn't leave it on long, maybe an hour? I didn't sit under the dryer or anything. But the color is super red. You can tell a bit from my sig, the red is definitely there.

Apparently the effects of cassia don't last as long as those of henna.

Oh? I didn't know that... I can't wait to try the cassia out.

Galadriel

I would Henna with Amla mixed in (and as advised, apply Henna before the color releases). I never tried Cassia alone as a thickener (always used Henna). But yes, if you want to avoid the color you may want to consider Henna + Amla. HTH!

Eritreladiee

Interesting....perhaps henna then will be a better choice. And i'll just apply the mix right away so the henna doesn't have time for the colour to release- save myself the hassle of getting indigo. Thanks yall

dancinstallion

Bump! I have been going through threads and really can't find which one is better. I don't care anymore about the color, so which one stregthens better. I know they say cassia effects don't last long compared to henna.

Has anyone missed Cassia and Henna together? or would that be counter productive?

Spiffy

I think the CurlyFitChic used to mix henna and cassia and she got beautiful results.

Check out her fotki, I believe she has a folder titled henna and cassia treatments.

FebeeSigns

If you want thicker hair with no color, go with Cassia. If you want no curl loss, then add amla to your mix. However, Cassia's effects are short term where as Henna is longterm. You will need to apply Cassia more often than Henna. Henna will turn your hair a different color, along with indigo. I truly believe you're better off with Cassia, if you can afford to put it on your hair more frequently.

Spiffy

What color is your hair?
Is it black or dark brown?

It's your call about the henna vs the cassia. If you mix the henna, put it on right away,and leave it on for 2-4 hours, you should get the conditioning effects without the color.

My mom and aunts have been hennaing their whole lives for color and then switched to chemical color recently with no adverse effects.

Does this work for sure? Because I don't want the color, just the benefits.

Amoreofcurls

I will be doing my first henna treatment today...any tips on how I should prep my hair? Would it be okay to prepoo with Vatika ,and Amla Oil?

Also what would be the best way to mix it? Do I still have to add an acid even though I dont really want the coloring effects? I plan on putting it on right away after mixing and leaving it on for 2-3 hrs...

Last edited:

mzsophisticated26

I have been wanting to know this too for thickening and no color. Does it affect your hair if it is colored permanent or have a color rinse? My hair is colored jet black and I would like to keep it that way. I am trying to get all the thickness I can get in 2011..lol

Amoreofcurls

I LOVE cassia, the health of my hand has increased tremendouly ever since the fris time I did it, and the results were immediate for me....OP just like you I had fine strands that I wanted to thicken up and cassia has DEFINITELY done that for me...the only difference between it and henna is that the results are short tem,so I do it every two weeks...my hair actually doesnt like henna as much

Here are pics of my results
My First Cassia treatment album | NaturallyNiké *Oct/Nov 10' & Henna/Cassia album* | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

CrueltyFree

To me, henna and cassia give me the same results for the most part. The only differences are that henna will give you a tint of color and involves a messier cleanup as opposed to cassia, which doesn't give any color and is not as messy as henna when cleaning up.