Ceramic & regular flat irons: Grease or other heat protectant to straighten hair?

How do you heat straighten?

• Ceramic & Grease

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Ceramic & other heat protectant

Votes: 131 51.8%
  • Regular flat iron & grease

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Regular flat iron & other heat protectant

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Blow dryer & grease

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Blow dryer & other heat protectant

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Hot comb & grease

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hot comb & other heat protectant

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Ceramic or regular flat iron + blow dryer w/ grease

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Ceramic or regular flat iron + blow dryer w/ other heat protectant

Votes: 90 35.6%

• Total voters

CatSuga

Please list your hair type, current condition (natural, texurized, relaxed), and any pics. :)
Do you use grease or some other heat protectant? Is the product you use greasy?
Do you blow dry first? Do you use the comb attachment?
If you are natural did your hair have any problem reverting back after washing?

Has anyone used these?

Last edited:

lexi08

I have relaxed 4a type hair. I usually roller set then flatiron my hair, I only blowdry with a comb attachment occassionally. I have used Softee coconut grease, Ultra Sheen satin Creme Press, Dudley's Creme Press, Frederick Fekkai Glossing Creme, Redken Smooth Down Heatglide, Aveda Brilliant Serum, and Ultra sheen grease (the blue kind). None of these products are greasy if used sparingly. I tend to use the grease type products in the fall/winter and the lighter serum/creme products in the spring and summer. As you can see I am a bit of a PJ :look:

camellia

I've used Redken's Heat Glide before. It's excellent. I have natural 3B hair and I use a ceramic flat iron maybe twice a year now.

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie

I've used got2b creme straightener & serum a couple of times. One was for my wedding at month 17 of my transition. It worked well for my and lasted almost a week until I was tired of it.

ETA: I have the Redken though, I think I'm gonna try it out in a couple of weeks

L

lkg4healthyhair

*I have have used the Redken heat glide when flat ironing air dried hair and it came out very good.

*I also like to use WGO for flat ironing or blowdrying

*Keala Oil by www.bigbadd.com is great also for flat ironing

ETA: I am 5.5 months post relaxer, transitioning and above works well on my natural and relaxed hair

HoneyDew

I am a 4 Relaxed. While my hair is wet, I apply Keracare Silken Seal then sit under the dryer. After it is dry, I flat iron with FHI ceramic w/o using any additional product. One swipe and it's straight.

I tried using oil, but it made my hair tangle and hard. I think it was frying it. It is softer w/o any additonal product.

Suri

I also use Keracare's Silken seal, that stuff is like honey. I use it to blowdry and then I got over it with the maxiglide...oh the HEAT!!

I have used Smooth Down (redken), and in comparison to Silken Seal, it feels very watery.

HoneyDew

Suri said:
I also use Keracare's Silken seal, that stuff is like honey. I use it to blowdry and then I got over it with the maxiglide...oh the HEAT!!

I have used Smooth Down (redken), and in comparison to Silken Seal, it feels very watery.

I was using it to blow dry and flat iron, too. I just recently started sitting underthe dryer as a test and I was happy. My hair had more volume after the dome dryer/flat-iron deal, but that's all. Either way, I luvs me some Silken Seal.

SoAnxious12

i'm 3c or something similar to that, i'm natural with almost shoulder length hair when straightened, fine and thick hair (if that makes any sense). I used the megahertz smoothing balm on every piece and i use an electric hot comb. The first time is came out very silky and nice. The other times it looked average or worse. But i don't think it was the product. But if you do use this too much will make your hair flat and greasy well it do for me when i used more than just a dime sized amount on each 2-3in piece. HTH

JOI

Nita81 said:
I use my Solia flat iron and I use Fantasia IC as my heat protectant.

OMG thanks I am going to metro beauty to get some right now. I never seen that before.

candita

when using a heat protectant is it better to apply it on dry hair, then immediately follow with a flat iron or apply it to wet and then let it dry? :confused:

CatSuga

Dry hair.

Wet hair will cause the water in the hair shaft to boil.
(at least that's what I was told)

ETA: Well y'all, I'm going to attempt to flat iron my own hair tommorow. :lachen:

I will be sure to take plent of pics, they should be up before 5pm.

My plan is to use a clarifing shampoo.
Haven't figured out which conditioner (maybe VO5, or Redken, yall pick)
I'm going to apply some mousse (dont' know which brand...maybe not) and blowdry.
Then flat iron. Still haven't decided which heat protectant to use. I may go with Redken.

Last edited:

CatSuga

Well, well, well................

I bought a ceramic flat iron and I must that it is the BOMB!!!!!!
I also used Redken heat glide and I must say that it is the SH**!!!!!

I flat ironed the back and sides of my hair, but because I was too sleepy I washed and put it back into my afro headband style. :lachen:
My hair had no problem reverting. The flat iron heated up to 400 degress.

Sorry, I didn't take any pics because it didn't look all that.
Yeah, it was straight and shiny.
But I only have 4 inches of hair.
So it looked like 4 inches of straight hair. :look: Which is very lame.
Plus I need a serious trim.

Next time I'm going to take my Redken heat glide and go to a professional and let them do some bump and curl to it.

MysTori

I agree with you on this one! I love this product (IC). Unfortunately, for now, I blow dry and flat iron after each wash/deep cond., and it feels awesome afterwards.

Last edited:

NGC

What kind of iron did you buy?

I am so scared to use one.I think I have two and have never used them.

CatSuga

I can't remember the name (bought it from Sally's) but it's black and has the purple ceramic plates. $17

The one I bought to was too small (3/8 inches) so I sold it for $10. :look:

mkh_77

I'm a natural 4a and this is what I do when I straighten:

wash with Burt's Bees Rosemary Mint shampoo bar or Baby Bee shampoo bar
condition with Pantene Smooth and Sleek
wrap hair in superabsorbent towel
work about 2 quarter sized amounts of Biosilk through damp hair
roller set hair on Jet Set rollers (I use the pink ones)
spray rolled hair with Biosilk heat protectant
sit under a hardhat ionic dryer for 30 minutes on medium heat
let hair cool and then remove rollers
use Jilebre Titanium flat iron on small sections

shiningstar84

ATTENTION SILKEN SEAL USERS!!!!!
Do u use the silken seal liquid sheen or the blow drying complex? the jc penny out here only had the liquid sheen and sallys has both but since im not a cosmetologist i cant buy from them. i bought the liquid sheen but i will return it if that is not what yall were referring to. Please reply that stuff cost me $17. I hope its worth it

HoneyDew

lwill38 said:
ATTENTION SILKEN SEAL USERS!!!!!
Do u use the silken seal liquid sheen or the blow drying complex? the jc penny out here only had the liquid sheen and sallys has both but since im not a cosmetologist i cant buy from them. i bought the liquid sheen but i will return it if that is not what yall were referring to. Please reply that stuff cost me $17. I hope its worth it

same here. I use the blow drying complex. the liquid sheen does not smell good on wet hair and it is not as protective. The blow drying complex protects during blowdrying and flatironing and I never have to use more product. My hair never fries like it did when i used WGO and Keracare pressign cream. I LOVE IT!!!

KhandiB

I use either my revlon 1", my straight 2 the Maxx 2" or my conair ceramic 1 1/2" barrel curling iron...

I use Garnier Sleek n Shine Serum & Fantasia IC Heat Protectant.. I love the smell of the Fantasia!

LovelyLionessa

KhandiB said:
I use either my revlon 1", my straight 2 the Maxx 2" or my conair ceramic 1 1/2" barrel curling iron...

I use Garnier Sleek n Shine Serum & Fantasia IC Heat Protectant.. I love the smell of the Fantasia!

Khandi is the Fantasia serum you use? I am so tempted to get this!! :look:

HoneyDew

Priestess said:
Khandi is the Fantasia serum you use? I am so tempted to get this!! :look:

Well, I am using this right now for flatironing, as well. It is very good, I must say. I love the smell of it and the price.

I just put this on over my leave-in and airdry before flatironing.

LovelyLionessa

HoneyDew said:
Well, I am using this right now for flatironing, as well. It is very good, I must say. I love the smell of it and the price.

I just put this on over my leave-in and airdry before flatironing.

Dang, and I just came back from Sally's too! :wallbash:

Maybe, I can pick up a bottle at Walgreens down the street... :scratchch

Pjism is a BEYOTCH y'all! :perplexed

HoneyDew

Priestess said:
Dang, and I just came back from Sally's too! :wallbash:

Maybe, I can pick up a bottle at Walgreens down the street... :scratchch

Pjism is a BEYOTCH y'all! :perplexed

There are others that I like just as well. I just think this gives more bang for your buck, you know.

Also, this one seems to "stay" during the drying process so I don't have to reapply it. I find that some of them rub off.

Also, it is nto as heavy as Silken Seal.

LovelyLionessa

HoneyDew said:
There are others that I like just as well. I just think this gives more bang for your buck, you know.

Also, this one seems to "stay" during the drying process so I don't have to reapply it. I find that some of them rub off.

Also, it is nto as heavy as Silken Seal.

So what do you think, Honeydew? I have the Proclaim Glossing Polish which is very similar in terms of cones. I always use this when airdrying. It also has a nice blend of oils too. Should I just use this?

But I noticed when I looked up Fantasia's ingriedients it has that crosspolymer that's supposed to good for heat protection. *Sigh* decisions, decisions... :ohwell:

Ingredients
Cyclomethicone , Dimethicone , Cyclopentasiloxane , Dimethiconol , Dimethicone Crosspolymer , Amodimethicone , Phenyl Trimethicone , Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract , Tocopherol Acetate Vitamin E , Vitamin E , Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate , Fragrance Parfum