Ceramic & regular flat irons: Grease or other heat protectant to straighten hair?

How do you heat straighten?

• Ceramic & Grease

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Ceramic & other heat protectant

Votes: 131 51.8%
  • Regular flat iron & grease

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Regular flat iron & other heat protectant

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Blow dryer & grease

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Blow dryer & other heat protectant

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Hot comb & grease

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hot comb & other heat protectant

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Ceramic or regular flat iron + blow dryer w/ grease

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Ceramic or regular flat iron + blow dryer w/ other heat protectant

Votes: 90 35.6%

• Total voters

HoneyDew

Priestess said:
So what do you think, Honeydew? I have the Proclaim Glossing Polish which is very similar in terms of cones. I always use this when airdrying. It also has a nice blend of oils too. Should I just use this?

But I noticed when I looked up Fantasia's ingriedients it has that crosspolymer that's supposed to good for heat protection. *Sigh* decisions, decisions... :ohwell:

Ingredients
Cyclomethicone , Dimethicone , Cyclopentasiloxane , Dimethiconol , Dimethicone Crosspolymer , Amodimethicone , Phenyl Trimethicone , Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract , Tocopherol Acetate Vitamin E , Vitamin E , Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate , Fragrance Parfum

I would just use it if I were you. But, I have to tell you, I have tried others and they just aren't as good even if the ingredients lead you to believe that they are.

Like the NTM serum, for example. It seems to rub off more before I can get to the flat ironing. I seem to need more of it and it does not straighten to the same kind of shine. If you look at the ingredients, they are similar to the Fantasia IC one.

Even the other 'cone serums by Fantasia are not as good as heat protectants, IMO. I love the Olive Olive shine serum, but it sucks as a flat-ironing serum to me. And the ingredients, still are similar to the IC in the pink bottle.

But on the other hand, the IC in the pink bottle can be gummy if too much is used. I don’t get this as much with the Redken Heat Glide, another favorite. I use this as a touch up during flatironing if I have pieces that need a little more serum. It seems to “like” heat a little more in that it does not burn/steam if I apply it immediatly for applying heat to a section of hair.

I think the quality and viscosity of the silicone used to make the product makes a difference in the result and the amount of serum that stays caked on over time and its ability to protect and/or straighten to a shiny finish.

avyance

I absolutely LOVE Redken heat glide!!!! It leaves my hair soft and silky!!!! I would recommend it to anyone!!!

LovelyLionessa

HoneyDew said:
I would just use it if I were you. But, I have to tell you, I have tried others and they just aren't as good even if the ingredients lead you to believe that they are.

Like the NTM serum, for example. It seems to rub off more before I can get to the flat ironing. I seem to need more of it and it does not straighten to the same kind of shine. If you look at the ingredients, they are similar to the Fantasia IC one.

Even the other 'cone serums by Fantasia are not as good as heat protectants, IMO. I love the Olive Olive shine serum, but it sucks as a flat-ironing serum to me. And the ingredients, still are similar to the IC in the pink bottle.

But on the other hand, the IC in the pink bottle can be gummy if too much is used. I don’t get this as much with the Redken Heat Glide, another favorite. I use this as a touch up during flatironing if I have pieces that need a little more serum. It seems to “like” heat a little more in that it does not burn/steam if I apply it immediatly for applying heat to a section of hair.

I think the quality and viscosity of the silicone used to make the product makes a difference in the result and the amount of serum that stays caked on over time and its ability to protect and/or straighten to a shiny finish.

Thanks so much for the advice Honeydew. For now I'll use the Proclaim and I have VO5 Miracle Mist Heat Defense Spray too. But if I start to get that pj itch again, I'll know what to reach for. I'm a sucker for anything that smells good, is cheap and above all WORKS!! :grin:

LovelyLionessa

Honeydew, I ended up getting the Fantasia Heat Straightening Serum. I was in Sally's today (again :ohwell: ) and the girls working there felt the Proclaim Glossing Polish would just fry my hair. I guess because of all the oils in it. :perplexed

You were right, upon closer examination of the Fantasia Serum, it had more silicones in it and it seemed like it was better designed for heat protection. I'll give a shot in a few days. Thanks again, girl! :D

kitchen_tician

Well, I haven't been using much heat lately since I'm transitioning, but I just straigtened my hair out with a regular Hot Tools curling iron and had awesome results.

I used:
(my hair is in 4 sections at all times)
1. Pooed w/ Cream of Nature
2. Cond w/ K-Pak reconstruct Daily Conditioner
3. Porosity Control treatment (1st time) I like it!
4. Applied oil to my scalp
5. Applied Redken Heat Glide to damp hair
6. Blow dried hair
7. Applied a little Ultra Sheen Pressing cream to each section before I hot curled
8. Rolled hair in satin rollers overnight and I had beautiful silky hair for over a week :)

I get better straightening results using a curling iron. I have a Chi, but I don't like the results. I think I need to increase the temp, but I'm scared. :ohwell:

Balisi flat ironed my hair a couple of months ago and she did an awesome job. :) I had super straight hair for almost 2 weeks and my natural texture came back after one wash.

MissB

I like the Keracare Silken Seal serum the best. The Keracare spray doesn't smell good on dry hair either. I have had good results with Dudley's Pressing Cream. But, it does stink initially but through out the day it wears off. I also like the Phytospecific Beauty Styling Cream. These items work well for me with the use of the Chi curling iron.

I have also had good luck with the Fantasia Serum for color treated hair.

HoneyDew

MissB said:
I like the Keracare Silken Seal serum the best. The Keracare spray doesn't smell good on dry hair either. I have had good results with Dudley's Pressing Cream. But, it does stink initially but through out the day it wears off. I also like the Phytospecific Beauty Styling Cream. These items work well for me with the use of the Chi curling iron.

I have also had good luck with the Fantasia Serum for color treated hair.

I agree. :perplexed

I love the Silken Seal, but after downsizing my haircare budget, I just don't have room for it. :look:

I have a 4 oz bottle of it that I use VERY sparingly mized with the Fantasia IC one in the pink bottle or Redken Heat glide. The Silken Seal is thicker.

Good thread, ladies! Very informative! :clapping:

Has anyone used the Silk Elements Megasilk Heat Protection Spray? Here it is: http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/3732/373269

Also, wondering if anyone relies on just their setting lotion to heat protect during rollersetting AND flat ironing. I'm specifically wondering about the heat protecting abilities of the Keracare setting lotion (which I own).

Thanks!

AngiGirl

When I was 4a4b natural I used:

Ultra Sheen Creme Satin Press (13 Oz.)
John Frieda Frizz-Ease Wind-Down Relaxing Cream 3.5oz.
And at thermal spray.

Last edited:

navsegda

Please list your hair type, current condition (natural, texurized, relaxed), and any pics. :)

Hair type: 4a/4b Relaxed; Pics of products and such in fotki album

Do you use grease or some other heat protectant? Is the product you use greasy?

If I buy a product and it's greasy, I stop using it. I use Doo Gro on my scalp but never on the hair because grease weighs my hair down and I'd hate for it to brush off my hair onto my face or my clothes. I just got the Nexxus Heat Protexx spray and I really like it. I also use the Chi Silk Infusion and the Garnier Sleek and Shine Serum when I flat iron.

Do you blow dry first? Do you use the comb attachment?

When I wash my hair, I blow dry first and then use my Solia (although the Solia can be used on damp hair). I wish my dryer came with a comb attachment, haha.

KhandiB

Please list your hair type, current condition (natural, texurized, relaxed), and any pics. :)

Hair type: 4a/4b Relaxed and kinda sorta colored *dont make fun :( *

I use grease on my ends when flat ironing/curling..
Last grease I used regularly was Natural Oasis , it has gotten a little too steep in price for me.. although it may be worth it, my hair never looked as good as it did when I was using it...

Other than that Im using V05 Miracle Mist/Keracare Silken Seal or Fantasia Heat Protectant Spray...

For right now I do blowdry first, airdry to about 70-80% first..
Only using the concentrator and a vent brush.

missnappylady

Please list your hair type, current condition (natural, texurized, relaxed), and any pics.

Do you use grease or some other heat protectant? Fantasia IC but I just got redken smoothdown (can't wait to try it out) and spanish sur gro pressing oil
Is the product you use greasy? not really
Do you blow dry first? No
Do you use the comb attachment? N/A
If you are natural did your hair have any problem reverting back after washing? Yes. When I didn't know about heat protectants. I ended up cutting off quite a bit of hair.

LovelyLionessa

I am relaxed and 3c I reckon.

Before flat ironing I apply Thermasilk Straight & Smooth leave-in cream and seal with Fantasia IC Heat Protector (pink) serum.

No, I airdry only.

santia

Does it necessarily have to say "Heat Protectant" I think I want to try the new one from Motions.

navsegda

santia said:
Does it necessarily have to say "Heat Protectant" I think I want to try the new one from Motions.

What's it called?

And no, something specifically doesn't have to say it's a heat protectant to be one. Silicones are majorly effective as heat protectants so if you find a serum that has them in the list of ingredients, you can rest assured that your hair is adequately protected from heat damage.

Ms Red

Please list your hair type, current condition (natural, texurized, relaxed), and any pics. Hair type- 3c/4a, 22 months post and transitioning
Do you use grease or some other heat protectant? Is the product you use greasy? I don't straighten often. The last time was 6/2005. When I do, I use Biosilk or a heat protectant.
Do you blow dry first? Do you use the comb attachment? I never blowdry and do not use a comb attachment. I just use a ceramic flat iron on my hair.
If you are natural did your hair have any problem reverting back after washing? My hair always reverts back after washing.

Lissamz

I use a lot of natural oils in my conditioners that coat my hair really well...Right now it is African's Best Olive and Clove oil which has all kind of good stuff in it like egg protein and honey...So after I wash and deep condition...I apply plenty of Elasta QP's H-Two and Mango Butter...Blow dry with a ceramic, ionic dryer, and then Flat iron after I apply more Mango Butter...Leaves my hair soft, protected, and really shiny. Ohh, 1 more thing...I use a ceramic, ionic nylon bristle brush to blow dry...Faster drying with less stress on the hair...

Ohh, and (I'm a mess) My Fotki http://public.fotki.com/Lissamz/my-hair-adventures/

Password: Yahweh

Last edited:

chinadoll

I use grease before flat ironing. I can't use any product with water because it's very humid in Florida and it will revert back. I just seperate my hair in sections and apply a little bit of grease and flat iron.

Chameleonchick

Well I use a cermaic/tourmaline iron and definitely use a heat protectant. But I remember when I was in high school I used to use Isoplus Oil Sheen to flat iron, what was I thinking? :nono:

TrustMeLove

I haven't seen a thread by CatSuga in a long time. I wonder what she is up to these days. OT use to be off the hook when CatSuga was around. lol

longhairlover

I don't really know my hair type at all but I relax, right now i'm stretching for the winter but i blow dry normally and then flat iron once a week, i use john frieda heat serum blow dry then flat iron, in the past i have used the break thru line, I and i liked it a lot, I use heat protectants sometimes but normally the john frieda and other types of leave ins are good for any heat styling right now my flat iron is outdated, porcelain i think by jilbere bought at sally's a while ago.

my new favorite leave that i have used this weekend with a rollerset was Salerm Biokera Treatment for Ends, really really good hair is super soft. I love Salerm leave ins.

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
I am 4B relaxed, 13 weeks post. I use FHI 1/2" flat iron and I found some Keracare Silken Seal under my sink last night. Never realized it was a thermal protectant. My hair felt so good! I was using Matrix Sleek something or another for my protectant, but it made my hair feel sticky, and weighed down. But that Keracare & the FHI, OMG amazing results. Went to the BSS didn't have any. Think I ordered this a couple years ago online. Will definately restock and have as my staple heat protectant.

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
ATTENTION SILKEN SEAL USERS!!!!!
Do u use the silken seal liquid sheen or the blow drying complex? the jc penny out here only had the liquid sheen and sallys has both but since im not a cosmetologist i cant buy from them. i bought the liquid sheen but i will return it if that is not what yall were referring to. Please reply that stuff cost me $17. I hope its worth it

I've only used the liquid sheen---its great! No residue feeling left like I've had with other protectants.