Ceramic & regular flat irons: Grease or other heat protectant to straighten hair?

How do you heat straighten?

• Ceramic & Grease

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Ceramic & other heat protectant

Votes: 131 51.8%
  • Regular flat iron & grease

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Regular flat iron & other heat protectant

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Blow dryer & grease

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Blow dryer & other heat protectant

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Hot comb & grease

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hot comb & other heat protectant

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Ceramic or regular flat iron + blow dryer w/ grease

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Ceramic or regular flat iron + blow dryer w/ other heat protectant

Votes: 90 35.6%

• Total voters

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
I like the Keracare Silken Seal serum the best. The Keracare spray doesn't smell good on dry hair either. I have had good results with Dudley's Pressing Cream. But, it does stink initially but through out the day it wears off. I also like the Phytospecific Beauty Styling Cream. These items work well for me with the use of the Chi curling iron.

I have also had good luck with the Fantasia Serum for color treated hair.

How do you use the Phytospecific styling cream? I have a jar under the sink, but haven't figured out what to do with it. It didn't lay me edges down when I used it a few weeks ago. It's my 2nd jar so it must have done something for me to buy again. ---Like yall say PJism is a mutha.....:wallbash:

blessedandlucky

i am relaxed. i blowdry with an attachment (yikes, lol) using ntm silk touch leave-in, a dab of jc nourish and shine and chi silk infusion. all used sparingly. i don't flat iron. i only use heat when i blowdry and use caruso curlers when i want curls.

Leesh

Ladies, Quick Question, I have never used a Protectant, does it in anyway, weigh the hair down?
My hair is very fine, and the slightest bit of oil will make Me look like a wet cat!

MDsInfamousDiva

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Beyond The Zone's Turn Up the Heat Flat Iron Protection! :love3: I only use this for flat ironing it make my hair light and silky smooth and it smells SOOO yummy! :lick:

healthytext

Ladies, Quick Question, I have never used a Protectant, does it in anyway, weigh the hair down?
My hair is very fine, and the slightest bit of oil will make Me look like a wet cat!

I think it depends on which products are used and how heavy handed one tends to be. Silicon based serums and grease are particularly easy to overuse which can lead to oily, stringy hair. Too much of a heat protectant spray may leave your hair feeling sticky. After some experimentation you'll definitely find something that works for you.

I use three different products prior to ironing and my hair turns out soft and lustrous.

KhandiB

Im a 4a Relaxed - I use Fantasia IC Heat Protectant Spray for all my heat .. I blowdry (generally) and then Flat Iron with my FHI Ceramic - and maybe sometimes use V05 Miracle Mist

Im too heavy handed to use Serums, LOL

I used to use Kemi Oyl or Natural Oasis before BD/FI but my hair would be way too heavy

Pic in my siggy is Blowdried and Flatironed with Fantasia IC Heat Protectant Spray

Nonie

Please list your hair type, current condition (natural, texurized, relaxed), and any pics. :)

My hair type is 4B and I'm natural. I used a ceramic flat iron but didn't blow dry to stretch. I used curlformers instead in an effort to minimize the amount of heat I used.

Hair before the press:

Hair after the press:

Do you use grease or some other heat protectant?

No grease. I used John Frieda heat protectants, a spray and a serum.

Is the product you use greasy?

No, it is not greasy.

Do you blow dry first?

No, I used curlformers and air-dried.

Do you use the comb attachment?

N/A

If you are natural did your hair have any problem reverting back after washing?

No problem whatsoever. Reversion was so fast that I am no longer afraid of heat. I look forward to pressing my hair again sometime next year.
Reversion started the instant I applied shampoo:

And here it is fully back to normal at the end of my wash :yay:

Has anyone used these?

I have not used any of the products you posted.

ETA: The biggest thing I noticed pressing my hair this time with heat protectants was I didn't get that burned hair smell I am used to when I wet my hair after a press. There was no smell whatsoever and I didn't have broken hairs all over the place. I could not have been more pleased with how everything worked out.

Last edited:

TheQueenBeeMaya

My stylist blowdrys, presses my edges/roots, then flatirons the rest of my hair. I have not seen a negative outcome from using that much heat, my hair is thriving just fine. I use chi silk infusion as a heat protectant.

this is my hair before

and my siggy is after

Carolie

I rollerset my hair & run a flat iron over my hair on low/medium heat. I used to use a blowdryer as well, but then I realized it was the culprit for my breakage & split ends.

For heat protection I use Redken Smooth Down Heat Glide mixed with either VS Straightening balm or Redken Smooth Down Butter Treat (ratio of 4:1). I tried John Frieda Frizz Ease Heat Protect hair serum & a few others from Sally's before. All they did was make my face, neck, & back break out >:/

Hopefully I can try the Mizani Thermasmooth Smooth Guard Smoothing Serum next. A stylist used it on me while I was visiting NYC for an audition, & it made my hair look & feel gorgeous! <3

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
when i bought my flatiron, the saleslady gave me REGIS design line silk drops repair & shine serum. the first four ingredients are cyclomethicone, dimethiconal, dimethicone, and phenly trimethicone. can i use it as a heat protectant?

Nonie

when i bought my flatiron, the saleslady gave me REGIS design line silk drops repair & shine serum. the first four ingredients are cyclomethicone, dimethiconal, dimethicone, and phenly trimethicone. can i use it as a heat protectant?

I know the ingredients you list make the product a 'cone but I don't know if just being a cone is sufficient to be a heat protectant. I say that because John Frieda who have made cone serums for years have a regular serum with just Cyclomethicone, Dimethiconol, Octyl Methoxycinnamate (Sunscreen)as the ingredients, and then the have the thermal protection formula with Cyclopentasiloxane , Dimethiconol , Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate , Benzophenone-3 , Polysilicaone-15 , Bis-C13-15 Alkoxy PG-Amodimethicone , Phytantriol , Mineral Oil , Tocopheryl Acetate , Hydrolyzed Silk , Fragrance. What's more, I've used their regular serum before when flat ironing my hair and my hair had the smell of burned hair when I shampooed it. But not this time when I was careful to use the thermal protection formula.

I do think though that if you used that product over your pressed hair, you can keep the frizzies at bay by keeping moisture out of your hair.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I'm transitioning and I have found the products that will work for me when I'm natural. I use a ceramic hot air brush from Hot Tools. This gets my hair dry, strait, and curled in no time!:yep: I use silicon mix for my blow dry and when I'm ready to style, I part in sections and use Smooth 'n' shine Polishing Silk'n' Sleek. This is the best heat protector I've ever used and it blew the chi infusion out the water for me. My hair was so soft and shiny. My friend thought I retouched my relaxer and yelled at me.:lachen: The trick is to not use too much or it will weigh your hair down. I think I am a 3c/4a mix.

Last edited: